VWVortex.com - Back to the VW...with my new R
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Back to the VW...with my new R

05-19-2016 12:12 AM #1
      So after buying my very first car which was a 2009 VW Jetta Wolfsburg with the 2.0T engine and DSG, I've owned several BMW's after the Jetta. These BMW's were a 2008 135i 6MT, a 2011 135i DCT, and a 2013 F30 335i. The Jetta was great (as it was my very first car) but got bored of front wheel drive pretty quick and all my BMW's were rear wheel drive. The 135i's were a lot of fun to drive and one of them was tuned and had coil overs. Both were taken on the track which was an experience I'll never forget. I wanted something more practical and still "fun" which is how I ended up in a F30 335i but honestly it just wasn't the right balance of "fun" and luxury for me. Hence the title "Back to the VW" and the R has brought me back.

But I'm not going to clutter the forums and write up an extensive review of what I think about the R. There's been enough other reviews and by other members of this forum and by now everyone knows what this car is and what it can do. The only thing I'll say about it is that THIS car is the right BALANCE of what I originally wanted between being fun and still having luxury and practicality. And I'll mirror what Chris Harris stated when he said VW did a superb job dialing in the "feel" of the car in all modes. The R might be one of the few cars especially in this price range where you can have your cake and eat it too.

Now I picked up my R just over a month ago and sadly have only racked up 750 miles. I was very fortunate to find a, 16 Oryx DSG, DCC/NAV, DAP, R after being on a "waitlist" for almost 6 months. And somehow I got VERY lucky and got my car for invoice (no hidden fees) which I know is very rare with this car. Now I haven't gone crazy with too many mods and I'm not sure what's in the plans but this forum has helped me out greatly leading up to my purchase and I plan to do reviews/write ups where I can for little to big things I get for my car. So far I've done 35% window tint all around (including those two tiny triangle windows), 3D MAXpider Floor Mats (logo replaced...more pictures of this are coming), and OEM Euro R Tinted Taillights (in progress).

And since I hate it when someone posts up a "hey I got a new car" thread without pictures, I waited a bit longer to make this thread so I can at least get a few shots of my car in this thread. The R didn't get a fancy wax treatment, just a wash. And it was a cloudy day with no sunlight so there won't be sparkling pictures of my car but hopefully I can get better shots with better scenery in the future!

Amazing front end of the R...refined but still aggressive

The window tint compliment Oryx really well I think

Quad tip exhaust looks awesome when cleaned up

There's just something about our gauge cluster that looks so nice...ESPECIALLY at night

Really like the subtle "R" emblem
      Last edited by B4YM4X; 05-21-2016 at 11:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R
      05-19-2016 12:46 AM #2
      Congrats on your new car . White was my first choice but I also love my black R.

Vehicles
      F25 X3, E92 335is, MKVII R, MotoGuzzi Griso
      05-19-2016 12:52 AM #3
      "Tints"

Was going so well too, I know I know, It does matter though, cause "tints" aren't a thing, it's wrong, it's nonsensical, makes a person sound simple....

BUT yeah, car looks great, dark tinted white is always a solid choice! Congrats on the new car.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Lapiz Blue R Base Manual, 2011 Victory XRoads
      05-19-2016 01:29 AM #4
      I'm not so sure. I think in the way it was said, "tints" might actually be correct. There are different levels of tinting available, so since all windows are at the same amount, or "tint", then you could argue that "tints" sounds fine. Plus, "tints" is a musical sound.

tints.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2015 Golf R
      05-19-2016 01:52 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sandtalker View Post
      I'm not so sure. I think in the way it was said, "tints" might actually be correct. There are different levels of tinting available, so since all windows are at the same amount, or "tint", then you could argue that "tints" sounds fine. Plus, "tints" is a musical sound.

tints.
      Nah even if I were the proprietor of a tint shop I would say I have multiple shades of tint available, not I have multiple tints available.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI 1.8 / 2016 Golf R 6mt DCC DAP
      05-19-2016 06:57 AM #6
      Haha love the tint vs. tints talk. B4YM4X what is the percentage of your 'tint'?

Patiently waiting for my Orxy White 2016 Golf R 6sp with Tech

05-19-2016 07:14 AM #7
      I had no idea there was even a debate about tint vs tints lol. Learn something new everyday.

05-19-2016 07:19 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by cazual View Post
      Haha love the tint vs. tints talk. B4YM4X what is the percentage of your 'tint'?

Patiently waiting for my Orxy White 2016 Golf R 6sp with Tech
      I went with 35% all around. In my opinion 35% is perfect because at 50% you can hardly tell the windows even have tint on them sometimes. And I've driven cars with 20% at night and I think it hurts visibility too much. I never really have that issue with the 35%.

Also as I mentioned in my OP these pictures were with no sunlight and a bit later in the afternoon. Hence the windows look darker than they normally might during the day with the sun out.

11. 05-19-2016 08:41 AM #9
      Great color choice, congrats OP! And I agree with you about fun, practicality and "luxury". I say "luxury" because I believe that the R isn't a luxury car per se, but definitely feels like it. I too came from a bimmer (e90 335 msport) and It's definitely not as fun as the R. The R most certainly has the right balance of fun, luxury and practicality, at least IMO.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI 1.8 / 2016 Golf R 6mt DCC DAP
      05-19-2016 08:46 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by b00sted9 View Post
      Great color choice, congrats OP! And I agree with you about fun, practicality and "luxury". I say "luxury" because I believe that the R isn't a luxury car per se, but definitely feels like it. I too came from a bimmer (e90 335 msport) and It's definitely not as fun as the R. The R most certainly has the right balance of fun, luxury and practicality, at least IMO.

Have fun!

Man I can't wait to pick up my car hopefully next week.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R, 1985 Porsche 911 (street), 1979 Porsche 911 (race)
      05-19-2016 08:49 AM #11
      So is your bank note about 80k for the R? LOL. 5 relatively new cars in 7 years. Ouch. Are you paying for all this yourself?
      2016 Rabbit R w DSG/DCC (Lapiz Blue)

05-19-2016 09:24 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
      So is your bank note about 80k for the R? LOL. 5 relatively new cars in 7 years. Ouch. Are you paying for all this yourself?
      LOL that would not be the case fortunately for me. The Jetta I drove for a year before it went to my younger brother. My brother and my parents at the time liked the car so they just took over payments when I had the idea of getting a BMW. We actually got rid of the car less than a year ago when it started to have some problems.

The 2008 135i was my first "luxury" brand car and fortunately got a very good private sale deal. MSRP was $46-47k and after only being a year old paid low 30's for it. I drove that for about two years I think and sold it for high 20's. So I made out pretty well for how long I used the car.

And actually I found VERY good lease takeover deals on the 2011 135i and 2013 335i. So with both lease takeover deals I got a VERY big incentive in the beginning to take over the lease, I didn't even put a penny out of pocket, and both had very low monthly payments for me due to the incentive. I believe the lease takeovers ended up saving me a lot of money because BMW's don't seem to hold their value that well but they lease very well. And because I took over pretty much brand new cars and got a big incentive it made it even that much cheaper for me.

So in the end I drove around in 3 BMW's for the cost of roughly cheaper than a base GTI for the past roughly 7 years. Another plus side was that I didn't pay a single dollar for any maintenance on any of the BMW's. All of the oil changes, brake pads, light bulbs, wiper, fluids, etc, were all paid by BMW. And because I stayed within the tire limits never paid for those as well. It's been a good experience so I very well might look for more lease takeovers if I go back to BMW in the future.

So with the R I bought it brand new, because I don't think VW/Audi's lease very well. And I didn't have any negative equality rolled into. The R's seem to hold value pretty well so if for some reason I want to sell in the future I don't think I'll make out that bad.

15. 05-19-2016 09:55 AM #13
      Nice pics! Mmmm, so clean.

Tint / tints, dear / dears, potato / potahtoh.

05-21-2016 10:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by b00sted9 View Post

Have fun!

Yup I agree with you. In my OP I wrote about how my last car was a F30 335i. And while it was a great car I just felt it had the "wrong" balance of luxury/sport. But coincidentally, I feel the R is more "luxury" like in the ride quality in comfort and more "sporty" in race the BMW was. That's why I like the R so much because it feels like it gives me both and I don't have to compromise.

Vehicles
      2015 Pre Order .:R
      05-21-2016 10:51 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by B4YM4X View Post
      I had no idea there was even a debate about tint vs tints lol. Learn something new everyday.
      Do you say sheeps? Mooses? Well, the plural of tint in the way you used it is tint. Saying tints makes you seem dim or uneducated But, you are from jersey so...

05-21-2016 11:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
      Do you say sheeps? Mooses? Well, the plural of tint in the way you used it is tint. Saying tints makes you seem dim or uneducated But, you are from jersey so...
      Ok ok...point taken. OP is now edited to say "window tint" the correct way