VWVortex.com - Moving to Germany
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Moving to Germany

1. 05-19-2016 09:24 AM #1
      Hi everyone,

my name is Sebastian Meyers and I am in desperate need for some help. I'm a German citizen living in the U.S. Sorry in advance for my everything but perfect English. I drive a GTI MK6 Autobahn edition(leather, moonroof, xenons and so forth. My family and I decided to move back to Germany and I would love to take my car with me. Since Germany has stricter regulations when it comes to street laws I was wondering what I need to change to get my car street legal and get through German "TUV" inspection. I know there are things like the real fog light I have to add, but that is pretty much all I got so far. I tried to find some more information online, but I feel like people just have a dangerous half-knowledge about it. I also need to change the engine settings to the European settings and absolutely no clue how to do that (such as the horse power from 200 to 210....). I also tried to find any post on here but no success. If anyone has the knowledge or went through the same process I would be super thankful for some more information.

Thank you in advance

Sebastian

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '93 Cabriolet, black '01 TT 225Q autoX machine v2, '11 TDI coupe unicorn, '92 mariner blue meowta
      06-05-2016 05:34 PM #2
      Hello! I was relocated to Germany from the U.S. with my job and debated bringing my '11 TDI with me. I ended up leaving it in the states due to uncertainty about dieselgate (whether Germany would accept the emission certificate ), but here are my notes and links I found helpful...

Importing a U.S. Spec Car to Germany - reference links

Forum: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/...the-us/?page=2
      Forum (II): http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/...-us-or-canada/
      TUV (cert): http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeu...ssungen_import
      Import Process: http://www.uscars24.de/Deutsch/US-Im...bstImport.html
      Global Regs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...le_Regulations

Dattenblatt (spec sheet) can be obtained from Dekra for a fee (owner's manual may have some specs, or can find online)
      Cannot sell the car until one year later in the country. Vehicle must be for personal use only
      Have 6 months' time, by law, to convert vehicle to German spec

Required Specs
      Rear fog light
      Emissions testing (fee)
      Amber turn signals (not red)
      Headlights - ECE sticker (find e-code Halogens to avoid additional requirements for Xenon lights)
      Windows / Tires: E block & number stamp
      50-100 Euro fee per non-standard item
      Clear or White side reflectors (not yellow. Can "delete" or paint to match the car / not required in Germany)
      Headlight washers (req'd for Xenon lights only)
      automatic level adjusters for the headlights, normally required for Xenons
      wire rear fog light & check for E symbol
      Need triangle and first aid kit in car
      .: COOLWATER : Motorsport Chapter // I'm a loner, Dottie.. a rebel.
      Quote Originally Posted by RafCarre12 View Post
      [maya]womp womp... (where did that piece of celery go?) kittah![/maya]

Vehicles
      18 Passat GT // 19 Tiguan SEL Premium // 19 Jetta SEL Premium
      09-27-2016 07:16 AM #3
      ^ thank you, not sure where the original poster went but I have just moved to Europe and am debating whether or not to bring my GLI over... it has the Xenons because it is the SEL version (2015) so it should have the self leveling, I know I need to add fogs but not sure about the headlight washers... I'm actually debating to sell it, even though I love it so much, and buy something here. Any experience with car shippers?
      2018 VW Passat GT | Reflex Silver | DSG | OEM+ | Delivered March 2019
      Volkswagen AktienGesellschaft In North America

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS
      02-12-2019 04:20 PM #4
      Bumping this one up. I got some valuable info from a poster here. But would be interested in any tips someone who went through this recently might have. Things that might be a bit outside of the standard stuff you find in the guides. Tips, hints, and tricks.. that kinda thing.