VWVortex.com - 3D MAXpider Floor Mat...with a new logo
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 3D MAXpider Floor Mat...with a new logo

05-24-2016 08:43 PM #1
      When I took delivery of my new car, like most people around here, I wanted to get nice floor mats to protect my carpet. And again, like many of you, there didn't seem to be many options. There was no "R" specific OEM rubber floor mats. I didn't want carpet. And I just didn't like the look of weathertech's as they look too "industrial" for me. But I did want to stick to a rubber mat as it dries easier and doesn't hold in smells like carpet mats too. And will usually look newer longer as well. Trouble was finding a set that actually looked nice for a rubber mat. In the end I went with the 3D MAXpider rubber floor mats. I never heard of the company (at least to me), but they looked the best in pictures so I took the chance.

LOOKS:
      Well right out of the box I knew I made the right choice. The design pattern, while it doesn't photograph well, looks REALLY nice in person. I believe it actually the matches the feel and look of the car. It looks functional but still has some refinement to it that you don't find on many rubber mats. I just hated the 3D logo though...

FUNCTIONALITY AND FIT:
      So far so good. I've been through several rainy days and as expected, with the edges being a bit higher up, kept the water right where it should be which is in the mat itself. I bought the mat from amazon and got the "newer" revision so the fit is near perfect. Every edge is covered and really has no gaps as far as I could tell. And on the bottom they have this lining that almost is like velcro that grips the carpet really really well.

NEGATIVES:
      I don't like the logo AT ALL. The rear mats have two areas where it has these humps. I think it's where there might two attachment in the Audi cars that we don't have. It would have been nice to have it flush but again its just cosmetic and doesn't hurt the functionality at all. A very minor compliant. The last negative is the "velcro" like underside is also there on the part where it covers the dead pedal. Again a minor issue but it would have been nice for that part to have none of this material. If you really listen for it and push on the dead pedal part of the mat you could hear the "velcro" squish against the dead pedal.

MODIFICATION:
      Well the biggest negative to me was the logo so I decided to give it a try to "fix it". Removing the 3D logo was very easy. Just grab small pliers and grab the under part underneath the mat. Rock this part back and forth and eventually the metal will just break off. Again very easy. I then used JB Weld Black Silicon and put a dab in each hole to seal it up. I then took the R-Line logo in the pictures below and put the black silicone close to the edge but far enough to make sure it wouldn't squeeze out of the sides. But yeah this badge isn't coming off the mats any time soon haha. It is very securely on there and no issues so far even after washing. The JB Weld Black silicone will also withstand salt and water easily. The only bad thing about the logo is that it is VERY thin. It's not the thick slab of metal that the 3D logo is made of where you can literally not even bend it with your hands. The R-Line logo is very easily bendable.

Well I'm happy with the choice of the mats. And despite the logo being thin it's holding up great so far.

3D MAXpider Floor Mats
      R-Line Thin Metal Logo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-24-2016 08:53 PM #2
      How do you keep yours clean? Can they be hosed off?

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav+, 2019 Alas SEL-P
      05-24-2016 09:15 PM #3
      I also took off 3D logo...sealed holes and thought of doing the R badge but never got around to it. Looks good!

I know the crunchy sound of the fibers on the dead pedal! what did was remove the backing under the portion of mat that covers dead pedal. If you slightly score it with a razor you can peel it off, it's almost like netting. Then I used a razor scraper to shave/remove any remaining fibers from that area.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

05-24-2016 09:58 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by mk7-Golf-R View Post
      How do you keep yours clean? Can they be hosed off?
      Just like any other rubber mat I just rinse it, and agitate with a wash mitt if needed, rinse off, and let it dry in the sun while I wash my car. It's dry by the way time I need to put it back in the car.

I was worried that the water wouldn't dry fast on the "velcro" side but no issues.

05-24-2016 10:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyg View Post
      I also took off 3D logo...sealed holes and thought of doing the R badge but never got around to it. Looks good!

I know the crunchy sound of the fibers on the dead pedal! what did was remove the backing under the portion of mat that covers dead pedal. If you slightly score it with a razor you can peel it off, it's almost like netting. Then I used a razor scraper to shave/remove any remaining fibers from that area.
      You know I thought about it but was too scared to do it lol. If it's really as easy as you say it is maybe I'll give it a try. But again it's a minor issue and I don't even think about it much when I get into my car.

But these are easily the best looking and fitting rubber mats I have ever seen for any car to be honest.

Vehicles
      2016 6MT MK7 Golf R-- 2017 Camaro ZL1 1LE
      05-24-2016 10:43 PM #6
      @B4YM4X Any photos of these in the car?

Thanks

Vehicles
      2016 LSG Golf R 6 Speed
      05-24-2016 11:50 PM #7
      About time you posted this lol

05-25-2016 12:48 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by joszer View Post

Thanks
      Yup I plan on doing that. I'll post them here once I do.

05-25-2016 12:49 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mxrider9239 View Post
      About time you posted this lol
      I know right lol. Hopefully some better in car pictures will follow soon!

Vehicles
      2017 Audi S3
      05-25-2016 08:04 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by joszer View Post

Thanks
      There's a whole floormat thread in here with plenty of pics of the Maxpiders in the car.
      2017 S3 || Prior: 2016 R, DCC/NAV/6MT