VWVortex.com - What did you do to your SportWagen today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
    Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 4528

Thread: What did you do to your SportWagen today?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GSW TDI 6M
      05-16-2020 01:47 PM #4401
      Quote Originally Posted by VQVW View Post
      @jaehee Possibly a bad throwout bearing? I don't know if it's a problem for VW clutches but on my old Maxima it went bad and caused sudden clutch failure. Good excuse to upgrade to a better clutch especially if you have or plan any power mods. TTRS clutch is what I will go with eventually.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
      Interesting...! Yet, if I start the car in 1st first, I was able to "drive as normal"--same clutch engagement, same auto throttle blip, etc. And, once I fully depressed the clutch I was able to pop out of 1st without any noise (but perhaps a little more resistance than usual?)... but back to not being able to go into any other gear. Would a bad throwout bearing still allow me to move the car like that?

Appreciate the response and any additional thoughts... and good call on the TTRS clutch... I just read through the shopDAP write ups! Thanks for the heads up.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GSW TDI 6M
      05-16-2020 01:54 PM #4402
      Quote Originally Posted by mcl_sean View Post
      How does the pedal feel? Recently had the delay valve on mine fail so pedal went to the floor along with fluid leaking from the valve. That's my only experience with not being able to shift while running.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
      Pedal felt normal..! When I started the engine while in gear--there were no issues (seemingly) with clutch engagement. And, would pop out of gear (I can't remember now if I had to force it much... I was on my way into work and a little bewildered/pissed) but then back to all the gates "being closed" no matter where the clutch pedal was at. In the short time I was messing around with it, I don't remember the pedal feeling off.

Could it be the trans fluid? I know VW says to change every 30K, and I skipped it the last time and was going to wait until 40K..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
      05-16-2020 02:38 PM #4403
      Quote Originally Posted by jaehee View Post
      Pedal felt normal..! When I started the engine while in gear--there were no issues (seemingly) with clutch engagement. And, would pop out of gear (I can't remember now if I had to force it much... I was on my way into work and a little bewildered/pissed) but then back to all the gates "being closed" no matter where the clutch pedal was at. In the short time I was messing around with it, I don't remember the pedal feeling off.

Could it be the trans fluid? I know VW says to change every 30K, and I skipped it the last time and was going to wait until 40K..
      No, this is a clutch problem I think. When you started it in gear, you weren't using the clutch at all, so of course you had no trouble with clutch engagement. And did you know that you can pop a manual transmission out of gear while driving very easily, no clutch needed? There is a point after you get off the gas where the load switches from engine pulling car to car pulling engine. Right in the middle there is zero load on the transmission, and if you time it right, it's super easy to pop it into neutral without clutching. (I used to do it occasionally for "fun" on my old car, but then decided it was silly.) So that fact that with a dying clutch you were able to pop it out of gear doesn't tell us anything.

What do you mean by "auto throttle blip"?

Have you checked your clutch lines, especially the clutch bleeder block area? It's super easy to access. You could make sure everything looks good and you don't see brake fluid anywhere. And then you might as well remove your clutch delay valve and bleed the clutch be sure that's not it. I just remembered you took it to a shop, but the first thing they check should be fluid. That is more likely than mechanical failure. CDV delete and bleed is a super easy thing to do on your own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Bn9h5uAyg

5. 05-16-2020 04:09 PM #4404
      So I have about 1000 miles now on the TTRS clutch, installed it at 10k miles aiming to break it in before moving ahead with a hybrid turbo setup in the near future. I am still at stock power. Clutch spring was removed in the dealership parking lot when I took ownership, CDV removed/cylinder bored out soon afterwards.

Pedal at first feels about 20% heavier with initiation closer to the floor, now about 10% heavier with an otherwise stock feel and initiation closer to stock as well. Much more confidence inspiring. I really like this clutch. I still randomly experience very low speed, low RPM "surging" forwards in 1st gear in parking lots, which I was hoping would disappear with an uprated clutch. It's stupid and I've never experienced this in any other manual car I've driven. Hopefully it might go away with custom tuning...

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GSW TDI 6M
      05-16-2020 06:00 PM #4405
      No, this is a clutch problem I think. When you started it in gear, you weren't using the clutch at all, so of course you had no trouble with clutch engagement. And did you know that you can pop a manual transmission out of gear while driving very easily, no clutch needed? There is a point after you get off the gas where the load switches from engine pulling car to car pulling engine. Right in the middle there is zero load on the transmission, and if you time it right, it's super easy to pop it into neutral without clutching. (I used to do it occasionally for "fun" on my old car, but then decided it was silly.) So that fact that with a dying clutch you were able to pop it out of gear doesn't tell us anything.

What do you mean by "auto throttle blip"?

Have you checked your clutch lines, especially the clutch bleeder block area? It's super easy to access. You could make sure everything looks good and you don't see brake fluid anywhere. And then you might as well remove your clutch delay valve and bleed the clutch be sure that's not it. I just remembered you took it to a shop, but the first thing they check should be fluid. That is more likely than mechanical failure. CDV delete and bleed is a super easy thing to do on your own. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Bn9h5uAyg
      This is great. Thanks for the quick review... makes alot more sense now.

Was referring to the feature where the car ups the revs for you when you get the pedal to that 'friction zone' area.. not sure if it even has a name?

Really appreciate the advice on the clutch lines and the fluids... good to have when I talk to the shop on Monday. Appreciate all the knowledge! Exactly why I love this community.

7. Junior Member
      05-16-2020 09:39 PM #4406
      Dieselgeeks's super slider and shaft bushings installed.

They surprisingly feel good. I cant really describe it, just a much more direct and straighter shift action. I say surpringly cause they are just these tiny composite plastic pieces. I now want the super pin, but just don't want to do the install....

Also did the shifter alignment while doing the install.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      05-18-2020 01:23 PM #4407
      Got the car back from dealer last week after almost 14 days in for leaking and defective pano roof drains tubes.

Today did some vinyl decal install. Dig it.

Also some CQuartz lite coating back on Friday (including all the paint prep steps: Palmolive wash+IronX+Clay bar+2 step polish)

Now time to pass that new SFM clutch break in period.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 GSW 6MT, V70R, FFR, CooperS, 360, 318is
      05-18-2020 03:49 PM #4408
      Quote Originally Posted by J Peterman View Post
      I still randomly experience very low speed, low RPM "surging" forwards in 1st gear in parking lots, which I was hoping would disappear with an uprated clutch. It's stupid and I've never experienced this in any other manual car I've driven. Hopefully it might go away with custom tuning...
      Sorry I missed this. I think I've logged what you're describing with stock programming. It was very subtle when stock, got worse with a Unitronic 1+ tune (I bought VCDS initially simply to get logs and send then off), then much better on an update from them. My specific symptom was while accelerating gently with a steady throttle, rpms would drop, then come back very quickly, sometimes several times in a row. The Unitronic is38 tune doesn't do it at all.

I know that doesn't help. .

10. 05-18-2020 07:31 PM #4409
      Quote Originally Posted by mfennell70 View Post
      Sorry I missed this. I think I've logged what you're describing with stock programming. It was very subtle when stock, got worse with a Unitronic 1+ tune (I bought VCDS initially simply to get logs and send then off), then much better on an update from them. My specific symptom was while accelerating gently with a steady throttle, rpms would drop, then come back very quickly, sometimes several times in a row. The Unitronic is38 tune doesn't do it at all.

I know that doesn't help. .
      Thanks, that does help actually! Now I know other people are experiencing this, and it can be solved with a proper tune. Which will hopefully happen sooner than later.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf Sportswagen 4Motion 6MT Midnight Blue
      05-22-2020 12:55 AM #4410
      I installed new wheels and tires.

19"x8" ET50 Pretoria wheels with Continental SportContact 5P 235/35R19 with 3000K miles from a stock Golf R.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Longboi
      05-22-2020 10:58 AM #4411
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_bob View Post
      I installed new wheels and tires.

19"x8" ET50 Pretoria wheels with Continental SportContact 5P 235/35R19 with 3000K miles from a stock Golf R.
      Looks great man! I'm in the never-ending struggle between staying Gunmetal Grey or getting them powdercoated Black (Satin probably) or a darker shade of grey.

13. 05-22-2020 11:34 AM #4412
      I got wheels and tires. My upgrades are moving very slowly, but maybe I'll have enough dough saved by xmas to go for the APR+ ECU/TCU tune.

Last edited by lackingskillz2paybillz; 05-22-2020 at 01:48 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 12:19 PM #4413
      Quote Originally Posted by Derussi View Post
      Looks great man! I'm in the never-ending struggle between staying Gunmetal Grey or getting them powdercoated Black (Satin probably) or a darker shade of grey.
      Thanks. I thought I really wanted Gunmetal Grey but I found these black ones first. I'm very pleased with how they look.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
      05-22-2020 03:04 PM #4414
      @Derussi looks nice. Is that stock GSW suspension, R, or what? And did you replace the black roof rails with silver? I thought GSW came with black.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 05:46 PM #4415
      @Derussi looks nice. Is that stock GSW suspension, R, or what? And did you replace the black roof rails with silver? I thought GSW came with black.

Had a chance to snap some pics a few days ago. I think it's sitting quite nicely now, it's definitely a little front heavy but I can hardly notice any rakes going on.

DSG + 4Motion- Eibach springs on Bilstein B8s, and H&R spacers

My car is the blue one. Stock GSW suspension for now. I have H&R springs at home. I hope to put them on this week. Yes, the GSW came with black roof rails and I swapped them for silver.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI UM IS38, 2018 Sportwagen (wife’s)
      05-22-2020 11:28 PM #4416
      Installed Thule aerobars and outride bike rack.

Car felt faster on the butt dyno after install, so decided to get it dyno’d. Here’s the before and after:

As you can see, my butt was correct. Made a 12 hp increase in power and 24 ft-lb increase in torque. I figured I was making this increased amount of power because while driving down the road, the whistling I was hearing must have been the turbo spooling up quicker.

I highly recommend this mod if you haven’t already. Oh, and you can haul a bike on there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 11:46 PM #4417
      Quote Originally Posted by Mingus26 View Post
      Installed Thule aerobars and outride bike rack.

Car felt faster on the butt dyno after install, so decided to get it dyno’d. Here’s the before and after:

As you can see, my butt was correct. Made a 12 hp increase in power and 24 ft-lb increase in torque. I figured I was making this increased amount of power because while driving down the road, the whistling I was hearing must have been the turbo spooling up quicker.

I highly recommend this mod if you haven’t already. Oh, and you can haul a bike on there too!

Now that's funny. You're really funny. You're really funny. You're a funny guy.

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 gsw 4mo 6mt
      05-23-2020 01:10 AM #4418
      plasti diped the lower chrome strip and installed some fog lights trims

And to give you an idea of the steps

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 01:58 AM #4419
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWagen81 View Post
      plasti diped the lower chrome strip and installed some fog lights trims

And to give you an idea of the steps

Wow. I didn't even know one could add fog light trims. That looks great!

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 06:25 AM #4420
      Wow. I didn't even know one could add fog light trims. That looks great!

Agreed! That looks awesome! Wish i didn’t have a black car!

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-23-2020 06:26 AM #4421
      Now that's funny. You're really funny. You're really funny. You're a funny guy.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Sportwagen Comfortline DAP, LP 4Motion 6MT
      05-23-2020 07:46 AM #4422
      Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWagen81 View Post
      installed some fog lights trims
      Where did you get the fog light trims?

Are they OEM? If so, part # ?

Vehicles
      Mk7 GSW TDI
      05-23-2020 08:50 AM #4423
      https://i.imgur.com/Oe5CnuA.jpg

Had a chance to snap some pics a few days ago. I think it's sitting quite nicely now, it's definitely a little front heavy but I can hardly notice any rakes going on.

DSG + 4Motion- Eibach springs on Bilstein B8s, and H&R spacers
      You’ve sold me on this setup! Any noise issues with stock suspension parts and re-alignment issues? I have the OEM 18” Durban’s and will probably go with 10mm front and 15mm rear - hopefully that doesn’t rub. Will order 5mm smaller sets just in case but might be okay.

Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      05-23-2020 10:21 AM #4424
      I upgraded springs and shocks/struts recently and to keep it as quiet as stock, I replaced all shock/strut mounts, bearings and torque to yield bolts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

26. 05-23-2020 12:29 PM #4425
      Did a few things.

Wrapped the roof in gloss black.

Installed some badgeskins

Put on summer wheels

Installed some GTI clubsport centre caps from europe

Next up: Osram dynamic side blinkers

GOLF r RSB

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast