VWVortex.com - What did you do to your SportWagen today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 198 of 199 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199 LastLast
    Results 4,926 to 4,950 of 4960

    Thread: What did you do to your SportWagen today?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2005
      Posts
      3,813
      09-05-2020 11:06 PM #4926
      Is38



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 28th, 2020
      Posts
      31
      09-07-2020 11:35 PM #4927
      Spent 5 days to put on ceramic coating. Majority of the time spent is the cleaning, clay, paint correction, then cleaning off the residue before the coating went on. The coated surfaces are super slippery. Hope the coating stays on for a while. That was a lot of work. Here is the hood.
      https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/BvY863

      Then my daughter asked me what happens if I throw an pencil eraser on it ... Don't know, let's try it.
      https://flic.kr/p/2jEpQfy

    4. Member yvr20th's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 9th, 2007
      Location
      Surrey BC
      Posts
      291
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI 20th, 2016 GSW TSI, 1987 Westfalia
      09-08-2020 02:21 AM #4928
      Quote Originally Posted by j-man41 View Post
      Added the cheap Ali Express vertical spoilers to the hatch. Fitment isn't too bad.

      Love this color and the ride height on this one!!!
      Now if you had some Pretoria’s and do the R quad exhaust it will be a head turner for sure!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Posts
      29
      09-14-2020 10:06 PM #4929
      Received my custom steering wheel from Eurozone Tuning and installed Urotuning DSG shift knob as well. This wheel is a double upgrade since in Canada our DSGs don't come with paddle shifters on the wheel. Big thanks to Bill at Eurozone for dealing with my millions of questions over 6 months while I decided which wheel I wanted. I had considered going for the Golf R wheel but would have needed new buttons and trim/airbag. This is a custom Mk 7 wheel with shifters, and was cheaper than even doing an OEM R/GTI wheel with shifters (not to say this wheel was any stretch of the word "cheap")
      The first wheel I purchased got lost in transit, so it was a long wait for this one to finally come.

      The Urotuning shift knob is great and seems sturdy, the adaptor is well designed and shouldn't have the issues that the BFI DSG knob supposedly has.

      Both installs were super simple. I was worried about not getting the wheel on straight (it just looks off in the photo!) but its very straight forward and there are multiple reference points to work from. Little R badge is from Ali-express, not sure if its staying yet.


    6. Junior Member MCMLXIX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2020
      Location
      Las Vegas NV
      Posts
      42
      Vehicles
      2020 Tiguan R-Line Black
      09-15-2020 06:39 AM #4930
      Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi87 View Post
      Received my custom steering wheel from Eurozone Tuning and installed Urotuning DSG shift knob as well. This wheel is a double upgrade since in Canada our DSGs don't come with paddle shifters on the wheel. Big thanks to Bill at Eurozone for dealing with my millions of questions over 6 months while I decided which wheel I wanted. I had considered going for the Golf R wheel but would have needed new buttons and trim/airbag. This is a custom Mk 7 wheel with shifters, and was cheaper than even doing an OEM R/GTI wheel with shifters (not to say this wheel was any stretch of the word "cheap")

      Any other mods needed? Dealer Programming? VCDS Programming?
      Do you have to put the gear lever into +/- Mode for the paddles to work?
      Rich

      2020 Tiguan R-Line Black

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Posts
      29
      09-15-2020 10:36 AM #4931
      Quote Originally Posted by MCMLXIX View Post
      Any other mods needed? Dealer Programming? VCDS Programming?
      Do you have to put the gear lever into +/- Mode for the paddles to work?
      Nothing else needed. I had been told VCDS programming might be needed but in the end it worked without. I couldnt find the adaptation/long coding in the steering column module either.

      I can use the paddles from D or S mode, it just switches it into M mode, and then holding down the + paddle puts it back in whatever it was before.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2016
      Posts
      242
      Vehicles
      Longboi
      09-15-2020 02:38 PM #4932
      Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi87 View Post
      Received my custom steering wheel from Eurozone Tuning and installed Urotuning DSG shift knob as well. This wheel is a double upgrade since in Canada our DSGs don't come with paddle shifters on the wheel. Big thanks to Bill at Eurozone for dealing with my millions of questions over 6 months while I decided which wheel I wanted. I had considered going for the Golf R wheel but would have needed new buttons and trim/airbag. This is a custom Mk 7 wheel with shifters, and was cheaper than even doing an OEM R/GTI wheel with shifters (not to say this wheel was any stretch of the word "cheap")
      The first wheel I purchased got lost in transit, so it was a long wait for this one to finally come.
      How much did this end up running you? I got the complete GTI wheel (buttons/paddles) for $298 USD and the airbag for $179 USD, both off of eBay.

      Install is easy, plenty of youtube videos on it. Plug and play if the buttons on your new wheel matches the old one. I had to clear codes through OBDEleven but that's really related to disconnecting the battery. No additional coding needed, paddle shifters worked as it should, no fault codes.

      This ramble below is more of a personal one but... I just had to wrap it . Got the wrap from China, Alcantara top/bottom and perforated leather sides, top yellow marker and yellow threads.

      Looks and feels good... BUT! I have some slack at 9 and 3 areas. Wrapping SUCKS. I'm sure I can definitely do much better if I went through it a second round, with more knowledge. I also think it'll be easier with a full alcantara/suede wrap since the material is much more pliable than perforated leather.




      I'm sure I could re-do and get it much better, but I really didn't want to spend hours re-wrapping again so I ended up ordering a bare wheel off Royal Steering Wheel with the exact same specs.

      I'll probably just remove the wrap and send my old bare steering wheel once the new one comes in to get 150GBP back from the deposit payment. Or keep the wheel, re-wrap when I have the time later on, then sell it for a little higher than what I would get from the deposit payment.

    9. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Posts
      29
      09-15-2020 03:23 PM #4933
      Quote Originally Posted by demasu View Post
      How much did this end up running you? I got the complete GTI wheel (buttons/paddles) for $298 USD and the airbag for $179 USD, both off of eBay.

      Install is easy, plenty of youtube videos on it. Plug and play if the buttons on your new wheel matches the old one. I had to clear codes through OBDEleven but that's really related to disconnecting the battery. No additional coding needed, paddle shifters worked as it should, no fault codes.

      This ramble below is more of a personal one but... I just had to wrap it . Got the wrap from China, Alcantara top/bottom and perforated leather sides, top yellow marker and yellow threads.

      Looks and feels good... BUT! I have some slack at 9 and 3 areas. Wrapping SUCKS. I'm sure I can definitely do much better if I went through it a second round, with more knowledge. I also think it'll be easier with a full alcantara/suede wrap since the material is much more pliable than perforated leather.


      I'm sure I could re-do and get it much better, but I really didn't want to spend hours re-wrapping again so I ended up ordering a bare wheel off Royal Steering Wheel with the exact same specs.

      I'll probably just remove the wrap and send my old bare steering wheel once the new one comes in to get 150GBP back from the deposit payment. Or keep the wheel, re-wrap when I have the time later on, then sell it for a little higher than what I would get from the deposit payment.

      That's a great deal on a stock wheel! I was never successful in finding anything on Ebay that had the right buttons (looks like yours just has regular Cruise Control?) or wasn't Carbon Fibre Wrapped(not a fan of anything Carbon Fibre) Also dealing with ebay sellers that want to use the Global shipping program means High duty and shipping charges.
      My wheel cost $747USD, and Bill actually included it fully built with buttons and Trim, I didn't have to mess with taking that black plastic trim off that can be a nightmare and breaks easily. I now have an extra wheel just without Airbag that I could send in for a deposit refund, or probably do something similar to you and try and sell it.
      I'm surprised you had to clear all your codes in OBD after disconnecting battery. Usually they all go away once you take the car for a quick spin.
      I tried wrapping my old wheel as well. It was a total nightmare and had the same issue with the 9 and 3 positions not being perfect. In hindsight it was a good test to see if the thicker wheel was something I wanted, as the wrap does make the wheel a bit thicker. I didn't know you could buy bare wheels from Royal steering, was sending in your GTI wheel for them to wrap and send back not an option?

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2016
      Posts
      242
      Vehicles
      Longboi
      09-15-2020 04:03 PM #4934
      Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi87 View Post
      That's a great deal on a stock wheel! I was never successful in finding anything on Ebay that had the right buttons (looks like yours just has regular Cruise Control?) or wasn't Carbon Fibre Wrapped(not a fan of anything Carbon Fibre) Also dealing with ebay sellers that want to use the Global shipping program means High duty and shipping charges.
      My wheel cost $747USD, and Bill actually included it fully built with buttons and Trim, I didn't have to mess with taking that black plastic trim off that can be a nightmare and breaks easily. I now have an extra wheel just without Airbag that I could send in for a deposit refund, or probably do something similar to you and try and sell it.
      I'm surprised you had to clear all your codes in OBD after disconnecting battery. Usually they all go away once you take the car for a quick spin.
      I tried wrapping my old wheel as well. It was a total nightmare and had the same issue with the 9 and 3 positions not being perfect. In hindsight it was a good test to see if the thicker wheel was something I wanted, as the wrap does make the wheel a bit thicker. I didn't know you could buy bare wheels from Royal steering, was sending in your GTI wheel for them to wrap and send back not an option?
      Yep, I don't have ACC or any of the sensors. I actually just had the center trim wrapped since I wasn't a fan of the aluminum/silver that the GTI wheel has. I didn't want to wrap it Gloss Black since it'll probably show fingerprints/smudges too much, so I ended up going Glossy CF film. It actually blends in quite nicely and is fairly subtle in the interior haha.

      So for Royal Steering Wheel, you can use their exchange option where they send you a bare wheel and swap in your old buttons, then send back the old wheel. You just pay an extra 150GBP as deposit, which is then refunded once you return your old wheel.

      I paid £170 + £40 Postage (FedEx 1-2 days recorded to USA) + £150 deposit*

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 19th, 2002
      Location
      Seattle WA
      Posts
      165
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack S, 18 Alltrack SEL
      09-16-2020 05:19 PM #4935
      Quote Originally Posted by demasu View Post
      Yep, I don't have ACC or any of the sensors. I actually just had the center trim wrapped since I wasn't a fan of the aluminum/silver that the GTI wheel has. I didn't want to wrap it Gloss Black since it'll probably show fingerprints/smudges too much, so I ended up going Glossy CF film. It actually blends in quite nicely and is fairly subtle in the interior haha.

      So for Royal Steering Wheel, you can use their exchange option where they send you a bare wheel and swap in your old buttons, then send back the old wheel. You just pay an extra 150GBP as deposit, which is then refunded once you return your old wheel.

      I paid £170 + £40 Postage (FedEx 1-2 days recorded to USA) + £150 deposit*
      It cost the same for me last year, only I shipped my wheel over for $60. I had the chance to disassemble an alltrack steering wheel, and it was so difficult to remove the controls without messing up the mounting holes. Royal also added larger thumb grips and thickened the wheel as well. They use excellent leather.




      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 11th, 2018
      Posts
      136
      09-16-2020 08:06 PM #4936
      Royal is great if you live in the uk.. but its not a viable option for the vast majority of us in NA

      Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

    13. Member turboluvr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2001
      Posts
      1,258
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf Sportwagen S w/4motion and DAP, 2016 Passat SE 2005 Golf TDI
      09-16-2020 09:11 PM #4937
      IS38, APR DP, APR TIP, Golf R RSB, United Motorsports IS38 and TCU tune.
      2016 Passat SE 2005 Golf TDI

    14. Member fuzion's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 24th, 2005
      Posts
      3,704
      09-17-2020 01:42 AM #4938
      Wasn't today, but hey lets pretend.

      Fitted up the Scorpion Exhaut (already has the Scorpion DP), sounds great! And yes, its a real R.





      Comparison on flow;



      vs stock



      And a few updated pics;




    15. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Jul 5th, 2020
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      19
      Vehicles
      2017 SportWagen 4motion/DSG
      09-18-2020 08:52 AM #4939
      Well, I did a brake fluid change with ATE Type 200 and now I have a squeaky brake booster

      Anyone know what fluid our system likes? I'd prefer something dyed, since visually determining when the ATE Type 200 is out is gonna be painful if it's the same colour as the replacement fluid.

    16. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 19th, 2020
      Location
      Portland, Ore.
      Posts
      20
      Vehicles
      17 GSW 4motion
      09-18-2020 09:13 PM #4940
      Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post

      And a few updated pics;



      Is the R Variant as amazing as we all think (who can’t have it)?

      Looks great!


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    17. Member PursuitOfCorrado's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2014
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      467
      Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit DSG, 1992 Corrado SLC
      09-19-2020 08:43 PM #4941
      Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi87 View Post
      ...holding down the + paddle puts it back in whatever it was before.
      Huh, TIL. I've always just toggled the shifter to manual shift and back. Will have to try this.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 24th, 2019
      Location
      Oregon
      Posts
      280
      Vehicles
      2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
      09-19-2020 10:51 PM #4942
      @fuzion Beautiful car. What wheels are those? Lucky Aussies with the R Variant.. (and Euro-size plates, I just noticed.)

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

    19. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2016
      Location
      Ontario Canada
      Posts
      322
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GLi Unitronic Stage 1 Tune & APR Stage 2 Intake
      09-19-2020 11:29 PM #4943
      Quote Originally Posted by fuzion View Post
      Wasn't today, but hey lets pretend.

      Fitted up the Scorpion Exhaut (already has the Scorpion DP), sounds great! And yes, its a real R.





      Comparison on flow;



      vs stock



      And a few updated pics;



      From where did you import this beauty?

      Sent from my LM-Q620 using Tapatalk
      '91 VW Fox Wagon -- Crushed
      '03 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel -- Crushed
      '07 VW GLi 6M Stock-- Traded
      '12 VW GTi 6M APR stage 1+, APR Stage 2 Intake, DG Springs, AWE Catback --Traded
      '13 VW GLi 6M Unitronic Stage 1, APR Stage 2 Intake....

    20. Member dr. locktopus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 23rd, 2001
      Location
      Kitchener, Ontario
      Posts
      7,427
      Vehicles
      '19 Golf Sportwagen
      09-19-2020 11:49 PM #4944
      Quote Originally Posted by StreetGLi View Post
      From where did you import this beauty?

      Sent from my LM-Q620 using Tapatalk
      I'm guessing they haven't as the plate and the side of the road they're driving on indicates they're from Australia (New South Wales to be more specific).
      dasjettakartell - day and night, night and day, these kids will do anything for kicks

    21. Senior Member UncleJB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2nd, 2002
      Location
      NH Lakes Region
      Posts
      23,418
      Vehicles
      87 Jetta, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta, 15 GSW, 19 Tiguan
      09-20-2020 06:28 AM #4945
      Wait, it snows in Australia? I had no idea.

    22. Member
      Join Date
      May 1st, 2016
      Location
      Ontario Canada
      Posts
      322
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GLi Unitronic Stage 1 Tune & APR Stage 2 Intake
      09-20-2020 09:25 AM #4946
      Quote Originally Posted by dr. locktopus View Post
      I'm guessing they haven't as the plate and the side of the road they're driving on indicates they're from Australia (New South Wales to be more specific).
      Indeed. Originally I thought his posts were referencing Vancouver, but it was someone that quoted him. I must have clicked a different profile by mistake. Good lookin' out.

      Sent from my LM-Q620 using Tapatalk
      '91 VW Fox Wagon -- Crushed
      '03 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel -- Crushed
      '07 VW GLi 6M Stock-- Traded
      '12 VW GTi 6M APR stage 1+, APR Stage 2 Intake, DG Springs, AWE Catback --Traded
      '13 VW GLi 6M Unitronic Stage 1, APR Stage 2 Intake....

    23. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 21st, 2020
      Posts
      44
      09-20-2020 11:55 AM #4947
      Quote Originally Posted by turboluvr View Post
      IS38, APR DP, APR TIP, Golf R RSB, United Motorsports IS38 and TCU tune.
      What are your impressions of the UM tune?

      Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

    24. Member turboluvr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 14th, 2001
      Posts
      1,258
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf Sportwagen S w/4motion and DAP, 2016 Passat SE 2005 Golf TDI
      09-20-2020 10:02 PM #4948
      Quote Originally Posted by ShagginGSW View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by turboluvr View Post
      IS38, APR DP, APR TIP, Golf R RSB, United Motorsports IS38 and TCU tune.
      What are your impressions of the UM tune?
      So far it has been great. I was on the UM stage 1 on the IS12 for about 2 weeks, there is a huge difference in the way the power is delivered now. The IS12 had slam you in the face torque, came on quickly but started to run out of steam up top as expected. I was also getting flutter/DV sounds with the tune and stock turbo when quickly coming off boost, this has completely gone away with the IS38 turbo and tune. I must add that the stage one was also stock downpipe and now has the APR DP and turbo inlet with the IS38.

      The IS38 feels much more relaxed, like it is not working hard at all, it just has a nice smooth delivery of power, so deceptively smooth that I was actually shocked at how fast I was going after I got on it several times. The other thing I noted right away was how quiet my car is, like close to stock quiet, I expected a little more noise and was actually worried about droning, the engine is louder at WOT but cruising around normally is almost stock sounding.

      The car is fast, faster than I will probably ever need

      I do not plan on taking this car to the drag strip, but I am guessing that the car should be capable of breaking in the 12's? That is all I need from my little 1.8 red wagon. Most of the time I will be driving this as normal, and the best thing is, it feels totally stock if you do not get crazy with the throttle. I love it!

      The TCU tune so far is very good also, I was never one to use Sport mode very often, so the aggressive downshifts to 3rd and second take a little getting used to. D is nice, not as eager to race to sixth and keeps you closer to the power band.

      Overall it has been positive so far, the car is a wolf in sheep's clothing for sure, just the way I like it!
      Last edited by turboluvr; 09-21-2020 at 10:49 PM.
      2016 Passat SE 2005 Golf TDI

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2014
      Location
      Long Beach, CA
      Posts
      116
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R / 2017 GSW
      09-21-2020 01:22 AM #4949
      Finally was able to finish making the wiring harness for the Euro MK7.5 Tail lights and got them installed.

    26. Member AWDWAGON's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2018
      Location
      Barrie, Ontario
      Posts
      198
      Vehicles
      '18 Long Roof Golf 4MOTION 6MT
      09-21-2020 12:56 PM #4950
      Quote Originally Posted by StorableComa View Post
      Finally was able to finish making the wiring harness for the Euro MK7.5 Tail lights and got them installed.
      Welcome to the Amber Club

      - OEM Euro Tail Lights:

      PG 2018 FL VW GSW 1.8T 4MOTION 6MT
      R135
      ╚╬╬╣
      ..246
      Amber Club

    Page 198 of 199 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    vwvortex.com is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on vwvortex.com is generated by its users. vwvortex.com is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.