VWVortex.com - How durable are Audi's?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How durable are Audi's?

1. 05-31-2016 11:09 AM #1
      I have an Audi TTR MK2 and it has been a nightmare to own since I bought it. It had 96K miles and it's at 98K right now. That's how little I've driven it since it's always in the shop. Struts, oil pan, alternator, starter, injectors, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, EVAP, shocks, turbo, sway bars, you name it. That's just the mechanics I've dealt with. I still had to deal with a broken hazard button, glovebox, back window letting water in which caused my control module to fry and it cost me 400 to fix, weather stripping above the windows letting water in as well, sensors frying, you name it. This is just the Audi; I invested over 3000 on a 96 Jetta VR6 that was also at the shop 24/7. Are German cars not well built or what? Keep in mind that me and the previous owners have maintenance records, so I don't understand wth kept going wrong. I remember the door on the VR6 flew open one time cause it closed but it wouldn't stay closed/locked in. That was a ridiculous repair. The door? Seriously? What next? The front windshield is gonna fall off and someone's gonna tell me "it's cause you didn't maintain the window like you're supposed to" smh a guy once told me that those cars are recycled in Germany after a number of miles and that Audis were not made to last but rather to lease: lease, hit 60K miles, warranty expires, send it back to the dealer because the cluster **** of problems is ready to begin wether you maintained the car or not. So is that true? Or have I just had bad experiences with cars? Even after expensive maintenance (timing belt replacements, synthetic oil changes, etc) the cars just kept falling apart. Let's cut the ****, when you find yourself taking the door apart because it doesn't stay closed, that's no longer maintenance, that's just bullshi*.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Volvo V70R /1980 Merc 280SE /Audi A1 Sportback /88 HondaActy /Rav4 Mk1/ Volvo 850 T5
      05-31-2016 06:29 PM #2
      To those who know, they are not that highly rated in the UK and don't do very well in customer surveys etc. They have managed to remain popular, however, so people buy the badge rather than the car.

I think, as with BMW and Mercedes, their best stuff was in the 70's, 80's and 90's.

4. 10-18-2016 01:29 AM #3
      Best VW product ever owned. And still a great fun to drive. 2007 Audi A3 DSG 2.0t FSI.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      10-18-2016 02:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by tiptronic View Post
      Best VW product ever owned. And still a great fun to drive. 2007 Audi A3 DSG 2.0t FSI.
      original DSG?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 A3, '14 JSW TDI, '16 Jetta 1.8t SEL, 2000 Toyota 4Runner
      11-20-2016 07:12 PM #5
      My '07 A3 turned 170,00 miles last tank of gas. Yeah, when things wear I replace them. Brake pads, rotors, shocks/struts, fluids, tires and bulbs. I've forked out cash for timing belt change and engine temp sensors, and a bad fuel filter/pump. But it's durable. The buttons all work, no squeaks, squeals or rattles and not a spot of rust on the undercarriage. The roads here get salted during the winter months so that's a real problem on other cars... like our 2000 Toyota 4Runner. (120,000 miles on it.)

Is any car abuse resistant? No. Does the A3 look like a 10 year old car? No, and it's in better condition than a 10 year old Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
      I did the best I could with the information I had.

8. 12-10-2016 02:22 AM #6
      Thanks for the brilliant analysis, I am actually thinking of buying audi a4 2002 model for my use in Australia.

01-04-2017 08:56 AM #7
      I can't speak to Audi but I've had two MKII's a GLI and a GTI and I constantly had stupid junk break on me between the two. I pamper all my cars and never drive them hard because I'm not into that so I never do under the hood mods. Yet still nothing but drama, but I love them so because there so fun. I think its a German thing, they just use inferior parts. I mean for crying out loud I had to keep an extra set of left and right exterior door handles on hand for (when) they break.

10. 01-06-2017 04:15 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      I can't speak to Audi but I've had two MKII's a GLI and a GTI and I constantly had stupid junk break on me between the two. I pamper all my cars and never drive them hard because I'm not into that so I never do under the hood mods. Yet still nothing but drama, but I love them so because there so fun. I think its a German thing, they just use inferior parts. I mean for crying out loud I had to keep an extra set of left and right exterior door handles on hand for (when) they break.
      Yep when door handles are $32 a pair, you buy two pair because you are going to need them. I have so many keys to my car from handle changes that I can't even keep track.

11. 01-07-2017 07:55 PM #9
      I'm wondering myself too. I don't drive a lot only 7K miles a year or less . I've owned old Audi A4 B5 Avant for many years, that gave me headache at first with fuel level sensor not working, broken holders for the trunk curtain, few suspension parts etc. Luckily nothing major, but small things that were annoying. I also owned 6 newer Subarus and never did more than brakes on any of tem, but wanted to get back to Audi and got a B8.5 S4 6mt after long research about which model/engine/transmission was the most reliable lately . Than I was in for oil change at a local Audi independent shop and they told me the 3L supercharged motor is not reliable and It's very sensitive to overheating and they had two of them disassembled in the shop. I don't know what to believe any more. I'm now considering replacing my wifes 10' Forester XT with either Q5 TDi or SQ5 and searched online comparison with Subaru Outback (I love AWD wagons) and like 99% of the people in the forums were saying If planing to drive after warranty expires to get the Subaru because is more reliable and If leasing to the Q5 because more refined. Where is the truth ?

12. 02-03-2017 07:37 PM #10
      My 88 B4 (which was recently totaled in an accident) had been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. I'd buy another if I could find a decent one.

Vehicles
      MK7 Golf 1.8T and MK7 GTI S
      02-06-2017 11:18 AM #11
      Audis' are reliable for me so are my Vw cars. Drive them as they are intended, spirited and enjoy. Do your own service, that way you know it was done correctly. Drive on worry less and take care of problems if they happen.

14. 02-06-2017 06:46 PM #12
      Compared to other German cars, Audis are pretty reliable

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3 Prestige
      02-22-2017 11:10 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by ExtremePowerhouse - Mike View Post
      Compared to other German cars, Audis are pretty reliable
      This.

Older Audi had its issues but I would only buy one that is year 2013.5+
      ACNA

Vehicles
      2017 Audi A3 1.2T
      06-17-2017 07:00 PM #14
      The late 90s and early 00s were pretty bad. The OPs TT (assuming its MK4 based) is know for never ending problems.

The late 00s and on appear to be very solid.
      Also, the 3.0T is not known for overheating. I would switch shops.

17. 01-16-2019 01:26 AM #15
      My recent/previous 2007 A3 was traded in at 295,031 miles for a pre-owned 2015 Allroad
      So 11years with the A3 was a fantastic experience! Glad I'm in another Audi!

18. 01-30-2019 08:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      original DSG?
      Yes. Never had an issue with the DSG, and turbo. Major issue it encountered was the dreaded cam-roller. Otherwise all other expense are wear and tear- brakes, alternator, AC, Pcv valve. .

19. 09-17-2019 05:00 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by purplecitybaby View Post
      I have an Audi TTR MK2 and it has been a nightmare to own since I bought it. It had 96K miles and it's at 98K right now. That's how little I've driven it since it's always in the shop. Struts, oil pan, alternator, starter, injectors, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, EVAP, shocks, turbo, sway bars, you name it. That's just the mechanics I've dealt with. I still had to deal with a broken hazard button, glovebox, back window letting water in which caused my control module to fry and it cost me 400 to fix, weather stripping above the windows letting water in as well, sensors frying, you name it. This is just the Audi; I invested over 3000 on a 96 Jetta VR6 that was also at the shop 24/7. Are German cars not well built or what? Keep in mind that me and the previous owners have maintenance records, so I don't understand wth kept going wrong. I remember the door on the VR6 flew open one time cause it closed but it wouldn't stay closed/locked in. That was a ridiculous repair. The door? Seriously? What next? The front windshield is gonna fall off and someone's gonna tell me "it's cause you didn't maintain the window like you're supposed to" smh a guy once told me that those cars are recycled in Germany after a number of miles and that Audis were not made to last but rather to lease: lease, hit 60K miles, warranty expires, send it back to the dealer because the cluster **** of problems is ready to begin wether you maintained the car or not. So is that true? Or have I just had bad experiences with cars? Even after expensive maintenance (timing belt replacements, synthetic oil changes, etc) the cars just kept falling apart. Let's cut the ****, when you find yourself taking the door apart because it doesn't stay closed, that's no longer maintenance, that's just bullshi* sikkim state lottery
      I also owned 6 newer Subarus and never did more than brakes on any of tem, but wanted to get back to Audi and got a B8.5 S4 6mt after long research about which model/engine/transmission was the most reliable lately . Than I was in for oil change at a local Audi independent shop and they told me the 3L supercharged motor is not reliable and It's very sensitive to overheating and they had two of them disassembled in the shop