VWVortex.com - BEC LED vs Stock Halogen Tail Lights
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BEC LED vs Stock Halogen Tail Lights

06-26-2016 11:06 PM #1
      I got my BEC Harness and Euro Tinted LED Tail Lights installed over a month ago and have been making sure everything is working correctly and admiring how they look at night of course. Even though everyone else gets to look at and enjoy our tail lights more than we do haha, it's VERY nice to look at while you unlock and walk towards your car. The tail lights really transform the car and gives it a much more premium feel and look.

Fit, Finish, and Looks:
      Since the BEC harness uses, what I think is OEM wiring and connectors, it feels very well made. I had no issues with putting in the pins or locking the connectors etc. The tail lights also fit just like stock and I had no issues. And as I stated before the tail lights simply look amazing. Even during the day when they are off I love the OEM tinted look. It's different looking than most other cars out there which have the bright red color. I also like how the darker tint "hides" the LED's behind it so you can't really see them until they turn on or you get really close to them. And at night of course is really where they shine. The LED's are very bright and now because the amber is LED it matches the side and front of the car perfectly when the ambers are on. Everything is perfectly in sync compared to the halogens.

BEC vs DAP Harness:
      I thought about the differences between the way the two harnesses are wired and in the end went with BEC because of several different reasons. First one is that the fog light is already wired up whether you use it or not. This was a big deal to me because when I decided to install a Euro Switch all I had to do was enable one coding with my OBDeleven, which took literally a minute or two, and I got the rear fog working. So this was a VERY nice touch. The second reason is that the BEC works like the ROW. So at night when you brake only the outer lights light up showing contrast between the inner. I believe with this harness you could simply code to make all 4 light up as well but I left it how it was designed. I think it's just safer this way and makes it more noticeable when you are braking to the people behind you.

Customer Service:
      Prior to my purchase I was unsure about which harness to go with, which color tail light I should go with, and Edward from BEC was more than accommodating answering tons of questions over phone and email over a period of many days while I was trying to make my decision. While we all hope that nothing goes wrong with a purchase after the fact this is comforting to know that Edward would help out as much as he can post purchase.

BEC Euro LED Tinted Tail Lights with Harness
      BEC Harness Only

Here are some pictures comparing LED vs Stock:

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC DAP
      06-27-2016 08:23 AM #2
      Great write up, thanks. I agree that the LED tails look so nice. I think it has to do with the white stripe for the amber turn signals cutting across the space and making the lights look much narrower and sleeker than the stock versions.

I'll be putting in my BEC dmc harness this week. Any tips on using OBDeleven for coding? Does it vary much from the instructions using VCDS?

06-27-2016 11:35 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Richard Goring View Post
      Great write up, thanks. I agree that the LED tails look so nice. I think it has to do with the white stripe for the amber turn signals cutting across the space and making the lights look much narrower and sleeker than the stock versions.

I'll be putting in my BEC dmc harness this week. Any tips on using OBDeleven for coding? Does it vary much from the instructions using VCDS?
      Thanks! I think you're right it's the combination of the contrasting white stripe to the tinted part that gives it this cool look. It's very sleek.

Honestly the coding sheets that BEC gives you is very well laid out. I admit it looked and felt overwhelming because there is a few pages filled with code. The first time I was VERY careful and even then it took less than 1 hour. I did this for a local enthusiast and the second time it took me probably 15 minutes.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      06-27-2016 01:23 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by B4YM4X View Post

06-27-2016 02:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post

Pretty awesome. It was nice being able to see it side by side. Should have driven around like this for a bit lol.

Vehicles
      06-27-2016 05:22 PM #6
      Pretty awesome. It was nice being able to see it side by side. Should have driven around like this for a bit lol.
      I just look at it and marvel at how terrible the car looked with untinted windows

I did my aftermarket wheels the morning after I got the car
      Taillights day after I got the car

tinted windows within a week

so i forget how it looked when it was 'stock'

06-27-2016 09:17 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      I just look at it and marvel at how terrible the car looked with untinted windows

I did my aftermarket wheels the morning after I got the car
      Taillights day after I got the car

tinted windows within a week

so i forget how it looked when it was 'stock'
      Now that you mention it I can see what you mean. Also I think window tint looks great because we have glossy black trim around the rear glass as well as about the doors and side windows too.

Not to mention I think it compliments the tinted tail lights too.

07-02-2016 02:10 PM #8
      These new lights are nice!

07-23-2016 11:04 PM #9
      Met up with a local R owner today because he wanted to see my LED Taillights. Here's a quick picture of both our Oryx White cars showing LED vs. Halogen side by side:

07-23-2016 11:42 PM #10
      Good contrast. Tinted Euro tails are great with the tinted windows. I also keep a rag in my car to wipe the exhausts when I get gas. Keeps 'm shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by speedycab; 07-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DSG Tech
      10-05-2016 09:13 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by speedycab View Post
      Good contrast. Tinted Euro tails are great with the tinted windows. I also keep a rag in my car to wipe the exhausts when I get gas. Keeps 'm shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great tip. No pun intended...

Vehicles
      '16 MK7 R & '05 MK4 GLI
      10-05-2016 10:09 PM #12
      Thanks for this! Buying my Oryx within the next 2 weeks and I already have some Cherry Red LED's sitting in my room ready to go!

15. 10-06-2016 12:11 AM #13
      Just installed my BEC tinted LED tails on my R.

When in doubt, go tinted!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 SQ5, '17 MK7R, '18 FXT
      10-06-2016 12:18 AM #14
      Do the BEC tails come with the additional harness you need for full functionality or do you need to purchase that separately?

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      10-06-2016 12:19 AM #15
      The more I look at the stock tails, the more I hate them. I was following an R the other day... for some reason the "L" shape and nested square shape in the lights bugs the hell out of me. Tinted LEDs are on the way
      Last edited by isoprene; 10-06-2016 at 12:22 AM.

Vehicles
      MY17 LB Golf R 6MT. Tech Pkg.
      10-06-2016 06:31 AM #16
      Got cherrys for my lapiz waiting for me. Going to install this weekend hopefully. The bec harness is extra but they sell it in a package as well with led cree reverse bulbs too if i recall.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      10-06-2016 09:30 AM #17
      Installation and Coding:
      I ordered the harness and LED tail lights from BEC. From what I read the installation of the BEC harness is a bit easier vs DAP because you have to make one less wire run because of the way it is wired. The tail lights alone are super easy to install and most people should be able to get them done in less than 30 minutes. The harder install is of course the harness. But like everyone has said just make sure you take your time and just start a bit earlier in the day in case you run into any problems. One word of advice is to buy a nylon fish wire so you can fish the wire through the rubber boot. The metal fish wire are too strong and will not bend around the corners of the boot. After the install the coding sheet that BEC supplies worked perfectly with my OBDeleven and I ran into no issues doing the coding.

BEC vs DAP Harness:
      I thought about the differences between the way the two harnesses are wired and in the end went with BEC because of several different reasons. First was because it is slightly easier to install from what I found out. Not a huge difference in difficulty but it is easier and saves a bit of time. Second one is that the fog light is already wired up whether you use it or not. This was a big deal to me because when I decided to install a Euro Switch all I had to do was enable one coding with my OBDeleven, which took literally a minute or two, and I got the rear fog working with no additional wiring. So this was a VERY nice touch. I believe with the DAP harness you have to buy and run another wire for the fog. The third reason is that the BEC works like the ROW. So at night when you brake only the outer lights light up showing contrast between the inner. I believe with this harness you could simply code to make all 4 light up as well but I left it how it was designed. I think it's just safer this way and makes it more noticeable when you are braking to the people behind you.
      Looks great!

With OBDeleven, do you know which harness they did the "1 touch app" for? Seems like a nice time saver to use it and if it's the same coding as BEC that's a nice plus.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      10-06-2016 12:19 PM #18
      This looks great! I don't know why VW didn't just make this standard in the US as well. The LEDs are so much better looking than our stock tails, (which I've never liked).

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      10-06-2016 12:49 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu2 View Post
      This looks great! I don't know why VW didn't just make this standard in the US as well. The LEDs are so much better looking than our stock tails, (which I've never liked).
      They don't meet DOT standards (something to do with the lit area dimension, IIRC). That's why some of the retailers state these are for track use only... it's a CYA.

10-06-2016 01:53 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecsta View Post
      Looks great!

With OBDeleven, do you know which harness they did the "1 touch app" for? Seems like a nice time saver to use it and if it's the same coding as BEC that's a nice plus.
      Honestly I'm not sure. But BEC has told me they have had the "newer" version harness for sale for some time now. And I never had the option of 1 touch app at the time. And honestly I've coded someone else's car for this harness before and I wouldn't pay money for it. The second time and there after you can probably get the coding done in about 10 minutes. The first time took me a while because I was just double checking and being VERY careful.

Vehicles
      10-06-2016 03:04 PM #21
      Obd11 has the DAP harness in their taillights app.

24. 10-06-2016 03:48 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by isoprene View Post
      They don't meet DOT standards (something to do with the lit area dimension, IIRC). That's why some of the retailers state these are for track use only... it's a CYA.
      This.. what shy's me away is if you end up in an accident and get hit in the rear. can some smart-aleck say, hey he is not using DOT factory taillights so it's not my faults for hitting him. it wasn't "visible" enough.
      i mean isn't this a viable scenario? or am i paranoid

10-06-2016 04:21 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by newvwdude777 View Post
      This.. what shy's me away is if you end up in an accident and get hit in the rear. can some smart-aleck say, hey he is not using DOT factory taillights so it's not my faults for hitting him. it wasn't "visible" enough.
      i mean isn't this a viable scenario? or am i paranoid
      People can't even tell between a Golf, GTI, and an R sometimes. While your scenario could happen I highly doubt it would end up that way. But it's possible I suppose.

Vehicles
      10-07-2016 01:06 PM #24
      People can't even tell between a Golf, GTI, and an R sometimes. While your scenario could happen I highly doubt it would end up that way. But it's possible I suppose.
      This. Being paranoid. I guarantee you the dumbasses with all their taillight bulbs out or spray painted black taillights never get called out for it in an accident, why on earth would perfectly functioning bright taillights get you in trouble?

Anyway, I've got insurance.

Vehicles
      10-07-2016 01:40 PM #25
      ^ Yes. I agree.
      Last edited by ShadPTR; 10-09-2016 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast