VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread

172K views 139 replies 111 participants last post by  92murderado 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
At the request of many of the long-time forum members, this thread is being created to serve as a place to rate the various G60 tuners one has to choose from when looking for a rebuild.
Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with. But, please post ONLY in the format indicated below. ALL other posts will be deleted or modified. I want to keep this clean and easy to read through.
Also, PLEASE try to keep this factual as opposed to emotional. Expressing unhappiness or happiness is fine, but I don't want this to degenerate into a pissing match full of emoticons and bad language.

REVIEW FORMAT:
Please post Yes/No or short answers to the following questions. Make multiple posts if you've worked with multiple rebuilders. Please do NOT post anything that does not fit this format. Feel free to leave questions blank if they don't apply. Periodically, I'll tabulate the numerical answers to the last two questions so that we can have a quick-glance "score" to look at.
Also, please enter your answers with corresponding questions so we know what you're talking about. You can copy and paste the questions into your new post, then just type your answers between them.

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing the results of this thread!
-Nate
PS - for informational purposes, the three rebuilders that get the most reccomendations on here regularly are, in alphabetical order:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) Kompressor Kanada
3) ORZ-Motorsport
And although this thread was created with the intent of providing a rating method of sorts, it's important to realize that a low number of responses regarding a given rebuilder doesn't necessarily indicate that they have a bad reputation.

[Modified by SaabFan, 7:49 AM 4-18-2003]

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SaabFan)

Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
4 days to get shipped back
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
full rebuild stage 2 and repaint
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
slight damage to the grooves such as bends but was easily repaired.
Customer Satisfaction:
excellent very happy
Dave is a great guy never had better service anywhere
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
unfortunatly still have to install charger. its going into my jetta with a aba block so its taking some time.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
yes it came with a warranty.
Overall Rating:
a big http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to KK for a great job and awesome service. thanks David

#53 ·

Rebuild Services:
gruven
one
standard rebuild, 68mm pulley, shorter belt, 944 fpr, sns stage IV chip
yeah that thing needed cleaned up serious only 6 lbs of bost b4 "surgery"o
Customer Satisfaction:
h.ell m.otherf.ucking yes!!!
uh, well, he didnt buy me dinner so no.
huge torque steer. so much f.ucking power. everyones like wtf when they drive my car. it breathes fire. its loud and scares people. also, when i step out of it, girls look at me.
this thing is solid. i would recommend mike to my mother if she had a VW. ask mike about the warranty details. gruven in cleveland is 216-640-2117
Overall Rating:

#54 ·

Rebuild Services:
Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
Dave @ Kompressor Kanada
What was the turnaround time?
Took about 2 weeks to get there (I didn't want to pay $80 to get it there, I was in no rush), and he had it for about 4 days, and then it took 2 days to ship back.
What rebuild services did you have performed?
Full rebuild, Stage 4 porting, 68mm pulley
Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
There was displacer damage, and that had to be repaired.
Customer Satisfaction:
In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
VERY.
Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
Yes, Dave is an awesome guy to do business with.
Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Yes.
Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Well, the paper said that any charger with a smaller pulley does not include the warranty, yet it also says that if he installed it, then it does not void the warranty? I'm not too sure about that.
Overall Rating:
On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

#59 ·

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? : Bahn Brenner
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 3.5 weeks - Not BB's fault. Fed-Ex "misplaced" my charger for a bit - approx 2 weeks.
They only had it in-house approx 3-4 days before i got the call that it was done.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc. : OE Spec rebuild with GT-70 intake porting and RS/RSR outlet porting.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? : Not that i was aware of.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Yes, spot on job.
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Yes.
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Yes- before the rebuild i was putting out 4-5 psi at 6K. After the breakin i was hitting 6-7 at 3k
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes it came with a warranty as long as i keep the stock pulley on. Havent had to use it as of yet.
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10
If i had it to do over again, the only thing i would do different is ship with another carrier..

Also, when doing the GT-70 upgrade they have to send you a hose to attach your charger to your airbox. Well, when they shipped mine out they forgot to throw it in the box. Whoops.. Called up after i got the package and they had the hose and the clamps shipped out overnight with saturday delivery for no charge. That is a great example of customer service. It was something small but it was something necessary and they made it right with out me having to beg and plead. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks again John & Co..

Modified by psykokid at 10:47 PM 5-25-2004

#60 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (psykokid)

Just got my G-60 going after having an oem spec rebuild by Bahn Brenner. So far-so good seems to be pumping some good psi. Good customer service, as soon as they got it they inspected it and called me. I got it back 6 buisness days after I sent it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif overall 9.5, -.5 because when I got the pakage back the charger was faced pulley down and resting against the bottom of the box, if it had been dropped it would've landed directly on the pulley... otherwise great expeience with BBM, thanks guys, and keep up the good work! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#61 ·

Rebuild Services:
>Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time?
>about 3 weeks (I used snail mail)
3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
>Full Rebuild, Stage 2 port/polish
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild?
>um, let's see if I can remember...part of the scroll on the exhaust-half of the housing was damaged, so a new piece needed to be welded in. I think that's it.
Customer Satisfaction:
>Yes
>Yes - when KK received my charger, Dave contacted me through a Vortex IM, by phone, and by email - pictures of the charger came with the email. During a phone conversation he clearly explained what needed to be done, and when I told him to forget about the stage 2 option because of the extra cost of the welding repairs, he did it anyway free of charge. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
>The car has never felt faster (even during the break-in period where I stayed under half throttle and under 3k rpm).
>Came with a warranty (pulley stayed stock) and I have not had to return the charger for any work.
Overall Rating:
>10
>10

#62 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (cbgthor)

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?David, KK
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?7 work days. Exactly what I was quoted.and that was ground return. no rush.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc. Rebuild, stage4, salvaged my casings with his displacer, all the same gen, flat black paint. flawless.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No repairs, however, David went above and beyond the call of duty to make me a great deal on a clean displacer, as mine was cracked, irrepairably, and he did so at the expense of one of his own cores, hoping that he'd be able to make a match down the road. Truly a gentleman.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? I am so happy I could .....wait, just did. Peed.
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? The only thing better than the flat black finish, was David's flat sense of humor (jk, D.) Again, nothing but a true gentleman.If I emailed him, 10 minutes later he was on the other phone. It was almost sort of creepy.

3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? GOBS!
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes, No, and because the stuff was right.
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. No Doubt, 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. "This one goes to 11....."

Edit:This is all after being thoroughly raped by the other guys. You know the one with the whiney cars.......though i stay

edit 07/20/04: So owner of company with whiney cars IM'd me. Too little Too late. Never called you out, or evil upon you. Just won't hear from me again, nor my money, nor anyone I speak to face to face.
Modified by maxg60 at 7:48 AM 7-17-2004

Modified by maxg60 at 3:13 PM 7-20-2004

#63 ·

1.kk
2.2 weeks(i used usps)
3.stage 4 porting
4.no

i'm happy with the whole thing, everything is great.
it came with a good warrenty, but only until the 65mm
pulley goes on.

i can't really rate the work cuz i have nothing to compare it to,
but i am extremely pleased with the results.
i'll rate the customer service at 9, definatly one of the best
businesses i've ever delt with

#64 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Took direct to Pitstop Developments, UK
2) about 5 hours....
3) Standard rebuild
4) No
Customer Satisfaction:
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes, Standard Charger now puts out 12psi
4) Yes, not needed so far
Overall Rating:
1) 10 Cant falt it
2) 9 they just need some more customer entertainment

#65 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (swfblade)

Rebuild Services:
Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
Dave @ Kompressor Kanada
What was the turnaround time?
About 2-2.5 weeks due to repairs, custom paint, and Dave did the work and let me pay when I had collected all my funds http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What rebuild services did you have performed?
Full rebuild plus Stage 4 porting, the first geman flag paint job
Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
There was about an inch worth of displacer damage that needed to be welded
Customer Satisfaction:
In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
VERY.
Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
Absolutely http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Repaired to normal boost levels, tho full boost comes sooner
Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
No, I use a 65mm pulley not supplied or installed by KK
Overall Rating:
On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

#66 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (Black G60)

Rebuild Services:
Bahn Brenner Motorsports
3 Days. They were very busy at the time. Surprised they got it done as soon as they did cause I said I need it back by friday I got it thursday.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, paint. Performance options: GT-70 porting, RS/RSR Porting, ported to the MAX!
Very slight grove repair cause an apex strip slipped some time.
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes
They bumped me to the front of the rebuild line to get it to me even before I needed it. Good guys!
I had some boost leaks and I took it very easy on the break-in but once I got the boost leaks fixed and break-in was over. It was like BALLS TO THE WALLS BOYS!!! I also after the break in got a 68mm pulley. So I went from 6psi to like 14psi. Feels good!
There is a warranty but no return for warranty work cause none is need boosting very well.
Overall Rating:

#67 ·

Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when
you sent it out did you get it back?
Two days to do the work, four days total with shipping
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild,
performance options, paint, etc.?
I had the oem rebuild with stage 4 port polish and rallye outlet
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip
groove repairs?
No repairs were required, charger had 100k original miles on it
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of
materials/workmanship?
Absolutely, the charger looked brand new externally and the outlet
was seriously massaged.
Yes, David answered the phone when I called with questions and
answered anything I threw at him. They got the charger in and out
with stage 4 port polish in less than two days- that's customer
service!

3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost
level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance
upgrades?
I did not check boost prior to the rebuild, it seemed to pull good,
two months with it installed now and I am making 15psi with a
68mm pulley.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return
the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Yes, 6 months, but I installed the 68mm pulley so the warranty is
voided. So far I have had no warranty issues.

Overall Rating:
10++
10++

Modified by JIMMYJOEGG at 5:58 PM 12-20-2004

#68 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Kompressor Kanada.
2) ~month, not Davids fault, fedex problem.
3) Rebuild, stage 4 porting, RS2 outlet, 68mm pulley.
4) No repairs needed.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) Very happy with services, David did an awesome job.
2) Customer service is the best. Very helpful.
3) Haven't put charger on yet.
4) 6 month warrenty w/ stock pulley. No.
Overall Rating:
1) 10, awesome work.
2) 10, awesome customer service.

#69 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (REPOMAN)

Quote, originally posted by REPOMAN »
it has been
4 years of Hard Fun Driving has been worth all Blood Sweet and tears
that is the Corrado Expierence. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

he aint jokin' and the lysholm is the best preventitive mantance you can do to the G60 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#71 ·

Rebuild Services:
1.Kompressor Kanada did my rebuild.
2)Can't exactly recall the turn around time, extremely fast!
3)Had the stage 4 rebuild, painted silver, with a great looking company emblem.
4)He had a spot welded inside the charger that had broken off. Sent pics of the work done. Excellent!
Customer Satisfaction:
1.I'm very happy with the quality of materials/workmanship.
2)D was perfect and quick to respond to me with actual pictures of the work he was doing. very cool.
3)My charger (stage 4 rebuild) is putting out numbers between 80 at idle, to 240 on a 5500 3rd gear pull. I just raced a new mazda rx 8 and kicked it's b-hind.
4)Yes there was a warranty. Have not needed it.
Overall Rating:
quality of work- 10
quality of customer service- 10

#72 ·

Rebuild Services:
BBM
HAD IT BACK IN MY HANDS IN 4 DAYS
OEM REBUILD
SOME MINOR REPAIR, CALLED TO TELL ME ABOUT AND MOVED ON.
Customer Satisfaction:
VERY!
VERY!
WENT FROM 9LBS WITH A 68MM TO 12LBS STOCK PULLEY
IT DID COME WITH A WARRENTY. NO WARRENTY WORK REQUIRED!
Overall Rating:
ALWAYS A PLEASURE DOING BUISNESS WITH BBM. THEY HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL WITH THIS AND MANY OTHER THINGS. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#73 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SGT III)

Rebuild Services:
1) Kompressor Kanada
2) ~3 weeks- my screwup on shipping to them
3) Stage 4 rebuild- port/polish, 68mm
4) displacer reweld
Customer Satisfaction:
1) absolutley
2) top notch
3) much better than before http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
4) no; had a 68mm installed
Overall Rating:
1) 10
2) 10
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://www.kompressorkanada.ca

#74 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (g60wcorrado)

Just as aside I think that it is interesting to see the editing that has been done to this post. I had a dope charger built last year and posted my feedback, but apparently this thread is owned between BBM and KK. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Though I don't doubt they can build good chargers...what happened to freedom of the press????????

#75 ·

Rebuilt by Kompressor Kanada
Turn around time was 4 days
Service= Stage 3 upgrade
No major reapirs needed
Quailty of workmanship= Top notchCustomer service = sets a new standard in the industry. Excellent
Performance 13-15 psi
Warranty Yes
Overall scale " Ours go to eleven " Spinal Tap
Best builder's and rebuilder's on the planet

#76 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? KompressorKanada!!!
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? I shipped slow to him, but once in hand, David had my charger massaged and returned in 7 days, exactly what I had been told.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? (Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.) Complete rebuild, stage4 porting, flat black,.lovely.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No Repairs, but a new dispacer was used, as mine was crap. I wondered what that rattling noise was...(j/k)
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? You're Joking, Right?? 110%!
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? The only thing better than a killer quality charger rebuild is the experience of dealing with a consummate professional.
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Well, how does 256 on the MFA at 5900rpm with a 68mm pulley sound?? Um ..... Yes.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes it did, but i nullified that myself by chucking the factory pulley (of course, only AFTER the 1500mile break-in period...).
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10+
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. As more than one person has already stated...."this one goes to E-lev-en...."!
Kompressor Kanada
I almost get tired of saying it.....but use ONLY KK for your G-lader needs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.