VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread

172K views 139 replies 111 participants last post by  92murderado 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
At the request of many of the long-time forum members, this thread is being created to serve as a place to rate the various G60 tuners one has to choose from when looking for a rebuild.
Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with. But, please post ONLY in the format indicated below. ALL other posts will be deleted or modified. I want to keep this clean and easy to read through.
Also, PLEASE try to keep this factual as opposed to emotional. Expressing unhappiness or happiness is fine, but I don't want this to degenerate into a pissing match full of emoticons and bad language.

REVIEW FORMAT:
Please post Yes/No or short answers to the following questions. Make multiple posts if you've worked with multiple rebuilders. Please do NOT post anything that does not fit this format. Feel free to leave questions blank if they don't apply. Periodically, I'll tabulate the numerical answers to the last two questions so that we can have a quick-glance "score" to look at.
Also, please enter your answers with corresponding questions so we know what you're talking about. You can copy and paste the questions into your new post, then just type your answers between them.

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing the results of this thread!
-Nate
PS - for informational purposes, the three rebuilders that get the most reccomendations on here regularly are, in alphabetical order:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) Kompressor Kanada
3) ORZ-Motorsport
And although this thread was created with the intent of providing a rating method of sorts, it's important to realize that a low number of responses regarding a given rebuilder doesn't necessarily indicate that they have a bad reputation.

[Modified by SaabFan, 7:49 AM 4-18-2003]

See less See more
#79 ·
We've had John at BBM doing the chargers for the shop for the past 5 years or so. They have always been great to deal with, their prices are fair and any problems have been dealt with quickly & fairly. The work has ranged from rebuilds to fully modded compresors. We used to deal with a canadian supplier, shipping & customs charges were always more costly. I havebeen very happy with BBM, so are my customers.
Ron-VW Specialties http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#80 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (bulldog2.G)

Rebuild Services:
Me
2) What was the turnaround time?
9 Hours
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? (Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.)
Eaton M-115 Rotors in an M62 Housing, Mild Porting & Polishing, Flow benched
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? Nope
Customer Satisfaction:
Hell Yeah
There is no better Customer Service for me than myself
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level)
About 4 more pounds of boost by 3k rpms. Never going to worry about blowing this one up.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty?
Yeah, my own

Overall Rating:
1) 10/10
2) 10/10

#81 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SaabFan)

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?Kanada Kompressor
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?about 2 weeks... 2-3 days of work, the rest shipping
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.rebuild with stage 4

Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?Very pleased
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?great customer service!
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?still break in period... ill get back with results soon

Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#82 ·

Rebuild Services
BBM - No-Rebuild just porting services (charger was new)
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
~ 1 week there and back
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
RS/RSR Treatment
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
no Charger is new
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, I found the CNC finish very even & consistant
Yes John was intouch as soon as they arrived and left
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Not sure yet? (still breaking it in, sounds way better thou...)
Bought the BBM Outlet as the Ralley Outlet no longer fits..
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
It's new not rebuilt? so I'm not sure?
Overall Rating:
10 ++++

Modified by JustMike at 10:05 AM 8-17-2005

#83 ·
Rebuild Services
Bahn Brenner Motorsports - My 2nd 40k mile rebuild performed on this Glader.
5 business days
Standard Rebuild and 19mm belt
No repairs necessary.
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, my Glader comes back clean and tightly repackaged.
Yes - John called me when it arrived at his shop, he confirmed my instructions and then called when it was on its way back to me.
Still in the break in period
BBM Standard warrant for rebuild
Overall Rating:
10 ++++

#84 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (bjmn888)

Quote, originally posted by bjmn888 »
Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?KompressorKanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?about 3 weeks... 1-2 days of work, the rest shipping
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.rebuild with stage 4 and yellow paint

Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?hell yea, extremely
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?great customer service!
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?still break in period... ill get back with results soon

Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif .
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to Dave, he will take care of you, and answers all of your questions

yes sir!!!

#87 ·

Rebuild services:
1) Sent to BBM
2) Sent the charger out Monday morning and by Wednesday morning I was on the phone with John discussing my options. It was there for a couple days and was sent right back out to me.
3) I originally planned on just getting the charger refreshed, but with 55k miles on it John suggested getting a full rebuild so I don't have to worry for at least another 60k miles. Went with the OE Spec rebuild service. Charger was already a stage 4.
4) Charger was in good chape internally and no repairs were needed there. However upon reassembly John noticed that the threads for bolting the charger in were stripping. After calling me to discuss it BBM put 6 Heli coils in.

Customer satisfaction:
1) Very happy. Charger looks good and sounds great in the car. (Just put it in this morning)
2) Very happy with the customer service. Prompt replies to my emails and phone calls were made before any work was done.
3) Boost level was good to begin with, this should fix my oil leak though.
4) No warranty since I didn't go back to a stock pulley. Only warranty offered on the OE Spec is 6 months anyways. I trust the workmanship and if the parts fail it's my fault for going with OE Spec as opposed to OEM.
Overall raiting:
1) Quality of work: 10
2) Customer service: 10

#88 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (veritas137)

Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when
you sent it out did you get it back?
Two days to do the work, 5 days total with shipping
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild,
performance options, paint, etc.?
I had a stage 4 rebuild and ordered all the other stage 4 bits, cam, chip,RS-2 outlet, FPR, 68mm pulley
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip
groove repairs?
displacer needed welding, charger showed up missing one full apex strip
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of
materials/workmanship?
100% have not had better service in my life.
100% Dave put up with numerous retarded questions from me
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost
level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance
upgrades?
I did not check boost prior to the rebuild, I will break it in with the stock pulley and put the 68mm on soon
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return
the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Yes, 6 months, I have left the stock pulley on and will break in the charger with that
Overall Rating:
10++
10++

#89 ·

Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
Just over week including shipping time; actual rebuild took only three or four days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
Full rebuild with Stage IV porting and repainted a snazzy red
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild?
Mainshaft, mainshaft collar, woodroffe key, pulley and pulley bolt all replaced.
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, everything looks good and works so far
Yes, great turnaround and communication
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Yes, the thing revs to redline almost instantly and the car goes like a rabbit with it's tail on fire!
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work?
Has a 6 month warranty; no need for warranty work, it's working great!
Overall Rating:
1) quality of work: 10/10
2) quality of customer service: 10/10

#90 ·

Rebuild Services:
Bahn Brenner Motorsports
10 days (3 days at BBM) (not bad considering I'm in hawaii 3 days both ways).
Full O.E. Spec rebuild, RSR outlet silver paint job.
None at the time

Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, I am very impressed. The charger looks brand new. No oil leaks, great packaging.
Very happy. As busy as John is he took the time to email me before I even sent my charger in and help me with other problems that my car was having. John called me to let me know when my charger got in and talked to me about possible options that I could get from them. Everything from performance upgrades to just a rebuild. In fact after discussing with John my plans for the Rado he even recommended against me doing some upgrades because they weren't needed. How many business owners would discourage their customers from spending more money? Also while re-installing my charger I broke one of the banjo bolts and John offered to send me one free of charge. How much more can you ask for?

Due to the broken Banjo this will have to be updated later, but I can't wait to see.

If I had opted for the stock pulley John would have given me a 6 month warranty with the OE build, if I had gone the OEM rebuild it would have been a 1 year warranty. I chose to stick with my 68mm neuspeed pulley besides I have faith in BBM's work.

Overall Rating:

10+
On a side note, while I know that many people on these forums have their personal favorite tuners, myself included. What really impressed me about John & Co was the fact that even before I was a customer, John took the time to email me back about some questions that I had about my car. I am a first time Rado owner, owned lots of Honda's in the past. Have done a bunch of engine swaps and the like with them but knew nothing about VW's. John answered all my questions on a daily basis for about a week before I even told him that I was planning on sending my charger in to him. Then when I did send it in John never pushed for me to get anything that I didn't want done to the charger. Most local shops try so hard to sell you the full race package and John was quite the opposite. He made me feel like I was a friend rather than a customer. To me this is more important than any amount that I could have saved by sending it anywhere else that might have been slightly cheaper. IMHO if they take care of customers like that, then I can only imagine how well they take care of my parts.

Modified by seiji654 at 7:45 PM 3-2-2006

#91 ·

Rebuild Services:
Bahn Brenner
2 weeks exactly
OE rebuild, 19 mm belt, rsr outlet
no
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, very much
A little slow at first but just due to being extremely busy, wasnt a problem
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level)
as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
i never really got to drive the car before i did the upgrades(test drive only), feels stronger from what i can recall.
yes,no, because its brand new
Overall Rating:
no experience with anyone else, 10
Although they were super busy at the time i sent my gladder and didnt get a call until after it arrived they only had it for a friday, the weekend and monday and shipped it back out! definitly surprised the sh** out of me. only took 2 weeks and im on the other coast,
thanks John http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#92 ·
1) KK
2) its been a while since the rebuild, but i believe it was around 2 weeks
3) standard rebuild, painted gloss black
4) no repairs needed
5) yes, the charger came back looking perfect
6) yes,David was great, easy to get in contact with, and was straight up about what needed done and the condition of the charger. also answered lots of my questions about re-selling it and what setup would be best for me.
7) yes.
8) yes, but i did not need to return it for warrantee work.
9) 10
10) 10

#93 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (kindbudz91G60)

Quote, originally posted by kindbudz91G60 »
Just as aside I think that it is interesting to see the editing that has been done to this post. I had a dope charger built last year and posted my feedback, but apparently this thread is owned between BBM and KK. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Though I don't doubt they can build good chargers...what happened to freedom of the press????????

Yes the one gets mad and sends nasty Im's with threats if you dont leave good feedback

#94 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (JIMMYJOEGG)

Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
Three days to do the work, five days total with shipping
I had the oem rebuild with stage 4 port polish
groove repairs?
New charger, original was totaled
Customer Satisfaction:
materials/workmanship?
Yes
NO! MY OIL FEED LINE WAS NOT SENT BACK TO ME AND DAVID SAID HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT. WELL ITS A 70 DOLLAR PART THAT I HAD TO PAY OUT OF MY POCKET, CUSTOMERS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPANY SCREW UPS.
upgrades?
DONT KNOW STILL BREAKIGN IN
Yes, one Year

Overall Rating:
10++

#95 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (gbcorradog60)

Rebuild Services:
BBM
Ten days total with shipping to PUERTO RICO

I had the oe spec rebuild with mini port because the charger had the exhaust side already ported for the RSR and the super wide belt kit installed previously.
groove repairs?
No repairs were required

Customer Satisfaction:
materials/workmanship?
Absolutely, the charger looked brand new externally and the intake
was very well massaged. Also a nice metal BBM badge on the top of the charger could atleast mean 15 psi more.
Yes, Sean answered the phone when I called with questions and
answered anything I threw at him. John would also pick up the phone any other time and was very enthusiastic and helpfull.They got the charger in and out with the rebuild and mini port done in less than two weeks AND paid for the shipping back to Puert Rico
that's customer service!
upgrades?
I have yet to put it in my car, I am guessing better boost but now with the 78 back on...I dont know.
Yes, 6 months.
Overall Rating:
10++
10++

Modified by anojes at 7:27 AM 12-19-2006

#96 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (seiji654)

Rebuild Services: Kompressor Kanada, & Motortechnik
KK this time, I have had two previous rebuilds from Motortechnik.
With shipping included about a month. Dave had the charger for about 10 days, but it had to have the displacer welded. In contrast to Motortechnik, KK is faster, but with the shipping it comes out pretty close. Also, this was a straight rebuild no porting etc. (already been done) Basically with standard shipping KK is a month, Motortechnik is 6 weeks.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
Just a straight rebuild this time, the charger has already been ported.
The displacer was damaged a long time ago from hucking an apex. Motortechnik had pinned the displacer and cut the seal shorter to save me from having to get a displacer. Dave @ KK saw this and repaired the displacer (welded!!). I guess he's got some sort of trick-daddy-mo-fo that can weld magnesium. I got a new mainshaft too, as the charger was passing oil before the most recent rebuild.
Customer Satisfaction:
Very, I am pleased that the displacer was fixed instead of pinned.
Yes.
It's possible, but I'm breaking it in on a 78mm, and I was running a 61mm before....
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? Yes 12 month with the stock pulley.
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. =>> 9
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. =>>8
Obviously some of you are wondering why I have had this thing built 3 times. The 61mm pulley makes the service life about 20K miles. Also, why did I switch builders? Price and turnaround time!
Only issues with KK are:
1. PAINTING MY CHARGER! It was perfectly clean bright shiny aluminum, and I asked Dave not to paint it, but now it's silver. It will look like sh!+ after the brake parts cleaner desolves half of it.
2. Not being able to cut a dual cog belt setup for a 78mm pulley. I have to switch to my RS2 setup with the 61mm, but the 78mm is the single belt.
Overall very pleased! I will be using KK again.

#97 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (bjmn888)

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? took 7 days to get there, was there for around 7-8 days then 3 days to get it back so about 2 1/2 weeks
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc. sent it in for a tune up but had damage (cracked scoll) so wound up going with the stage 1 rebuild and i took a litle longer than they thought to get the wleding outsourced so they gave me a stage 2 rebuild for the price of stage 1
yes, full rebuild and some welding on the scroll plus a mild polish
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Yes Indeedy
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Great Customer Service, he called me as soon as he got it and I called back to get an update and he told me since it was taking so long getting the welding done he upgraded my stage 1 rebuild to stage 2 for no additional cost and when I received my charger back there was a dozen blow pops and a vw keychain/strap with it!
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Yes, it doesn't blow oil into my engine anymore, and it sounds great
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? I never heard anything about a warrenty from them maybe because I have a 68mm pulley
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10

#98 ·
Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? Services took about a month total. Charger arrived at KK 2 days before Christmas, and was worked on during the week between Christmas and New Years.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Stage 4 rebuild.
Yes. The bolt holding the pulley broke, and the pulley itself was damaged, as well as the main shaft. Dave put in used parts and was able to repair it for a great price!
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Very!
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Outstanding communication! Dave talked to me on the phone, as well as on MSN. He answered all my questions quickly.
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? I'm still in the break in period, but the charger is alot quieter than it was when I pulled it out.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? The break in instruction show that there is a 180 day warranty. It states it is for the stock 78mm pulley. I am running a 68mm and that is what was on it when it was sent in.
Overall Rating:

#99 ·
Rebuild Services:
Kompressor Kanada
Two weeks plus

I had the oem rebuild with stage 4 port polish and painted aluminum
groove repairs?
When Dave received my Charger he informed me that it was shot! He had to rebuild one from his shelf, that was why mine took so long

Customer Satisfaction:
materials/workmanship?
Yes looks great, I have only been driving it a week so we will see how much I like it.
GREAT, David answered the stupid questions I asked and he did his best to get me back on the road as quickly as possible. With Blown Charger, Christmas and New Years it wasn't easy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
upgrades?
I did not check boost prior to the rebuild, I have just ordered a gauge and I have not driven the car hard yet, as it has only been a week or so, we will see
Yes, on the phone and email he said 1 year , but his invoice onlt stated 6 months. I will get back to him and verify this.

Overall Rating:
10+ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by davis911s at 3:43 PM 1-16-2007

#100 ·
Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Me
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 6 days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Complete rebuild, RS2 upgrade, polishing, porting, blue color
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No, everything was allright
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Yes, used parts that I wanted
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Sure as I done it to myself
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Air pressure grew up from 0.6 bar to 0,92 bar now
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? No need of that
Overall Rating:

Modified by Majsha at 3:08 PM 1-23-2007

#101 ·

Rebuild Services:
1)Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
-KK
2)What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
-28days
3)What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
-stage4, bright aluminum
4)Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
-whole half of charger replaced
Customer Satisfaction:
1)In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
-yes
2)Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
-yes
3)Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
-yes
4)Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
-yes, no because it works great!
Overall Rating:
1)On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
-10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
2)On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.
-10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by jt932 at 10:54 PM 2-17-2007

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.