VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1991 Corrado -G60 Engine Knock

49K views 99 replies 11 participants last post by  northendroid 
#1 · (Edited)
1991 Corrado -G60 Engine Knock Driveway Queen at the moment - Rebuilt Thread after PhotoBucket Bad Business Model

Inspect cylinder #1 & #2 with borescope trying to figure out where the knock is coming from when weather clears tomorrow. Compression test on all cylinders, verify timing. Previous owner had the head done so need to verify workmanship of the valve job and ensure that PO line up everything with TDC. Rebuild the supercharger. Also ordered all gaskets and fluids when we tear down the engine. Car runs but make no power so lots to look at and test.

Edit: Before it was put away for two years

See less See more
#72 ·
Picked up some the parts today from INA for my G-lader rebuild, seals, bearing, Apex strips, lube.

Picked up the G-lader oil return line, banjo fittings, custom hose adapter from 8mm bolt to AN-2

Custom adapter will fit into where I've drilled through the block for the G-lader oil return

#74 · (Edited)
Well got the Corrado a buddy :D Going to drive this until I get the Corrado on the road.
1998 GTI VR6 not perfect but nice solid car, two small rust spot one by the driver's mirror the other on the hood from rock chip, everything else is rust free. Done recently rotors and pads, wheel bearings, ball joints, poly bushing on all but strut towers those are TT's, serpentine belt/tensioner, O2 sensor, new windshield, window regulator, motor mounts, water pump, timing chain. Everything electrical work with the exception of the cruise control. Needs fluids service, new wheels/tires, rear passenger side ABS sensor. Tranny is good no grinding but long throws so that will need attention, motor 242,000 kms but runs strong, came with ST Coilovers, 25mm sway bar. Interior is mint no tears. It was originally a BC (British Columbia) car so didn't see much snow, it's been well maintained/regular services.

#77 · (Edited)
Picked up the GTI today in Levis, Quebec, was a little anxious about driving a 19yrs old car that I haven't maintained 365 km's, did the pre trip check, tire pressure, oil, powered steering,coolant levels. Fuel it with 91 Octane and went for it, really pleased with the car, no issues on it's first trip. Some general fixes are required to pass the safety, wiper blades, horn doesn't work, CEL was told it was passenger rear ABS sensor, needs wheel alignment and new tires (that's covered). Nail down some rattles, as previously mentioned the long throw in the shifter got to go. Next couple days will be going through it making a parts list. Some body molding need attending to and some require replacement. Swing by body shop to see what can be done about the rust spots. I do like the VR6 exhaust note it is SWEET!

Yeah Shawn going to flip the wheel tomorrow and see what need to be done to get them fitted properly.

#80 · (Edited)
Had to fix the horn in the GTI for upcoming safety it turn be being steering wheel clock spring contacts, was full of dirt and grime no contact was being made. Cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner tweaked the contact upper a bit. all works:

Next is getting ABS sensors to clear the CEL.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 3A0-907-379.lbl
Part No: 3A0 907 379 E
Component: ABS/EDS ITTAE 20 GI V00
Coding: 03704
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 2C572FADDC73802165-4A84

2 Faults Found:
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
35-00 - -
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Right (G44)
35-00 - -

#81 ·
ohh thought you were putting those on the Corrado. They do like absolutely fantastic on the Mk3. That is an amazing looking wheel.

To go to 112 it is a bit problematic. Mostly the rear, since all 112 were Mk4+ and they no longer used the same Stub and bearing setup. The bigger issue is the caliper mount for the rear. It can all be done, but would require quite a bit of machine work and welding, etc. I have not seen a simple elegant solution yet (not that I looked that hard). I suppose if I had found those wheels, I would have a solution by morning :laugh:

#82 ·
LOL the guy that had them was running them on his Corrado. Like you mentioned rolled and pulled to fit. I'm really pleased with the look, stance and fitment. Still need to do a bit of tweaking to prevent rubbing. Thanks for the 5x112 info so be sticking to the wheel adapters. :cool:

#84 · (Edited)
Yup you got it, he now goes by CorradoJesus, he was only an hour away from my home town so easy meet and swap wheels. Brought the GTI for a pre-safety today, they failed the wheels (which I was for warn when I booked the appointment) the Ontario Ministry of Transportation is cracking down on car with wheel poke and fender clearance (lowered). I've borrow a set of 15" wheels get by this fail, also need to replace outer tie rod end on passenger side, rear license plate light, wiper blades, rear rotor and pads and right front hose support bracket needs to be secured. All parts are ordered and some on there way.

Corrado update:

Got the pistons 4 clearance issue with oil squirter solved, oil pump, oil pan, water pump and cylinder head installed.

#85 · (Edited)
Finally got my Sebring wheel for the Corrado that a co-worker donated to the build. Another co-worker agreed to dropped them off to me, they want from Calgary to Nova Scotia (was to late at night when he drove by my place), then from Nova Scotia to Ontario.

This is the plan for this wheels adding a polished lip

#87 ·
Thanks Pete, I've got more parts I need to pick up from Issam @ iAbed Industries:

Front G60 mounting bracket (machined for wide belt)
Rear G60 mount (modified for the AEB block)
G60 Wide Belt
Intermittent Shaft Pulley (modified to fit AEB intermittent shaft)
Crankshaft Pulley c/w power steering puilley

I need to install 14mm frost plugs in three of the engine oil journals on the AEB block since I'll be installing the PG 8V head.

#90 ·
love seeing this build/project! some good progress is being made!
any updates lately?

Thanks!
Not lately been busy with home renovations. Going to pick up more supercharger parts from iABEDIndustries on Monday. Should be more progress in the new year.

#100 ·
Wait!? REAR mount g lader bracket for a 1.8T / AEB block, oh brotha, this build is getting fun.
...with a breatha :D
Not for you two Corrado wizards but for people who aren't quite sure what that costume back all about. Replaces this modified bracket:

It installs in this location of the engine:

I'd brought the rear OEM support bracket for Issam to mod, but when he sent me the CAD drawing of the custom bracket I just had to have one. I'm a sucker for unique stuff. :D

#95 ·
Nice work fellow.
I am slowly gathering G60 parts to build a completely stock G60 PG engine to put in my MK1 Rabbit Cabriolet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.