VWVortex.com - D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!

Vehicles
      MY17 LB Golf R 6MT. Tech Pkg.
      09-06-2016 05:10 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      Really love this solution, though I don't use my phone "naked." Is there any space in the dock for phones with cases?
      Yes can use phones with or without cases.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-06-2016 10:19 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by U n i o n 0015 View Post
      Really love this solution, though I don't use my phone "naked." Is there any space in the dock for phones with cases?
      Yes it is adjustable, watch the video on his site!!

Vehicles
      GTI VR6 (X) | C43 AMG (X) | Cayman (X) | X1 xDrive28i (X) | Macan S | CX-5 | GTI 2.0T
      09-07-2016 10:31 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadPTR View Post
      Yes can use phones with or without cases.
      Quote Originally Posted by pbr me01 View Post
      Yes it is adjustable, watch the video on his site!!
      Will do, thanks guys!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      16 R
      09-07-2016 11:22 AM #29
      I have the D-dock and I love it, it integrates really well in the car and looks almost OEM. However if you want to be able to close the door with a case on your iphone, it has to be a thin case, but totally manageable!

7. 09-09-2016 05:32 PM #30
      Received my D-Dock today and I highly recommend it. I installed it without using the sticky tape and it stays put anyways. It looks like it's oem when installed and simply sliding my iphone in and out is so much more convenient! No wonder they sell like hotcakes... I love the fact everything is adjustable as well, so no need to buy a new one when getting a new phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 09-10-2016 08:23 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 2016vwturbo View Post
      Received my D-Dock today and I highly recommend it. I installed it without using the sticky tape and it stays put anyways. It looks like it's oem when installed and simply sliding my iphone in and out is so much more convenient! No wonder they sell like hotcakes... I love the fact everything is adjustable as well, so no need to buy a new one when getting a new phone!

Same with the tape. I might replace it with some sticky rubber matting or something instead. Works great with my moto x 2014, but can see it working much better with flat backed phones.
      There is currently a lack of short 90deg usb c cables of the type maker users, so I will need to figure that out before I upgrade phones.

Glad someone made this!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by McJaggleToes; 09-10-2016 at 09:36 AM.

9. 11-14-2016 08:37 PM #32
      I just got my 2017 Golf R and went looking for a way to easily connect my iPhone in order to use CarPlay. There are a variety of phone mounts out there, most involve a phone and wires exposed next to the console or blocking an air vent. This is the perfect solution. I ordered it a few days ago and it arrived today. It was very simple to adjust it to fit my phone and case. Well done Danny! Thank you for designing and selling this solution. Looks like it belongs in the car, very unobtrusive and works flawlessly.

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Lapiz Blue Golf R
      11-15-2016 06:21 PM #33
      I've been using this for about a month now and I'm really impressed. I change my phone every year out of boredom so the idea of using the adhesive was not my favorite. I'm happy to say that the fit and finish is so good that the dock stays in place when I remove my phone even without using the tape. Seriously, one of the best homegrown products I've ever used.

11. 11-15-2016 09:36 PM #34
      Love mine as well

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R, 1985 Porsche 911 (street), 1979 Porsche 911 (race)
      11-17-2016 10:13 AM #35
      I'm really interested, but sometimes I need to access the phone to get android auto to connect. Occasionally you get a notification that the phone is only charging and you need to change it to send data instead.

Not sure how that would work with the phone in the port, as the minute you took the phone out of the dock that notification would go away.

I love this concept though as that's where I currently keep my phone.
      2016 Rabbit R w DSG/DCC (Lapiz Blue)

13. 11-17-2016 12:01 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
      I'm really interested, but sometimes I need to access the phone to get android auto to connect. Occasionally you get a notification that the phone is only charging and you need to change it to send data instead.

Not sure how that would work with the phone in the port, as the minute you took the phone out of the dock that notification would go away.

I love this concept though as that's where I currently keep my phone.
      Android auto experience varies greatly by phone. GREATLY! Once it's set up, i have no issues.

With my moto x 2014, and Nexus 5x, I have run into your scenario exactly twice. I keep spare USB cords everywhere, so swapping cables to finish setup once in a blue moon isn't an issue for me.

You could change the USB connection type in the Android developer menu. Might address your issue with charge more being the default.

Last edited by McJaggleToes; 11-17-2016 at 12:05 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      11-17-2016 12:14 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by McJaggleToes View Post
      Android auto experience varies greatly by phone. GREATLY! Once it's set up, i have no issues.

With my moto x 2014, and Nexus 5x, I have run into your scenario exactly twice. I keep spare USB cords everywhere, so swapping cables to finish setup once in a blue moon isn't an issue for me.

You could change the USB connection type in the Android developer menu. Might address your issue with charge more being the default.

Interesting. Didn't think about the developer options. I'll have to go look and see if that's doable.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15. Member
      Vehicles
      11-18-2016 11:00 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by McJaggleToes View Post

I went into developer options and changed the USB default to transferring data. Seems like when I get the aforementioned error, it's always because the phone is in charge mode only and I had to go manually change it. So I'll try this and see if I get more consistency.

I am however, even with it as charge as the default, recent getting the option to change it to data transfer on the MIB screen. Still adds extra steps, but at least it doesn't require accessing the phone.

I'll try it with the default to transfer data on the phone and see if that speeds things along.

16. 01-10-2017 05:41 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by nodialtone View Post
      I've been using this for about a month now and I'm really impressed. I change my phone every year out of boredom so the idea of using the adhesive was not my favorite. I'm happy to say that the fit and finish is so good that the dock stays in place when I remove my phone even without using the tape. Seriously, one of the best homegrown products I've ever used.
      Bumping this thread as my D-Dock brings me an irrational amount of joy each time I use it. Such a thoughtful design and removes temptation to peek at email while I'm driving. One of my favorite purchases of 2016. Thanks Danny.

Vehicles
      15 Golf R
      01-10-2017 05:56 PM #40
      Anyone with a 2015 have one of these? All I have is a 30pin, would need an adapter or a lightning mdi cable, and that doesn't fit with my case :/
      Current: 2015 R DSG DCC/NAV
      Prior: 2013 R, 2007 MS3

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      01-10-2017 06:47 PM #41
      Would be cool if you could integrate this new magnetic light in cable into your dock!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-mobile-devic

19. 01-13-2017 08:07 AM #42
      This all started with me having a fit issue with my Galaxy S7 Edge, which has an alloy bumper case on it which prevented the cable Danny provided from making reliable connection.

I found a different cable that had a straight-through connector (an old Motorola cable I had lying about) instead of the 90d connector provided, and it worked. A bit fiddly to get the phone in and connected, but solid once done.

I then did some more online digging and found this cable by WSKEN:

"iKNOWTECH Magnetic Micro USB Cable, Nylon Braided Data Charger Lead with Metal Plug LED Indicator Light for Samsung S2 S3 S4 S6 S7 Edge, Note 2/3/4/5, Tab S2 S, LG G4 G3, Sony Xperia Series Phones"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA6JT6K

The magnet on this cable is strong enough to pick my phone up by it (gently) with the bumper case on my phone, and the cable works as USB data not just as a charge cable.

I tested this cable directly with a-auto and it worked fine for the drive to work today (music, maps).

When I got to work I brought the dock in and took a peek ... the iKNOWTECH cable end pushed through the micro-usb adapter provided with the d-dock w/o alteration, and after a little adjustment of the placing of things seems to connect up nice and easily.

I relaxed the side-bars on the dock so they don't hold quite as firmly ... no slop just not as firm ... and it's very obvious when the magnetic cable pulls the phone in.

I have not mounted this back into my car yet, but I see no reason why this won't work fine.

ps. the bumper case I have on my S7 Edge is some no-name which I got off Amazon : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYH8QHA

Images showing interference issue:

Images showing mag-adapted d-dock

20. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '17 R DSG
      01-24-2017 10:29 AM #43
      just installed in my '17 R for my iPhone 7 (w/o case). Product is great and makes CarPlay that much more convenient and my phone is always charged. For now I'm not using the 3M tape and everything stays in place just fine.

Thanks to Danny for building this

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      01-24-2017 11:22 AM #44
      Mines coming Friday csnt wait

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav+, 2019 Alas SEL-P
      01-24-2017 11:29 AM #45
      Love my D-Dock too...so much easier than fumbling with a loose cable. I started wondering if the compartment ( which is removable from the console) could be modified and an alternate version d-Dock designed which gives additional depth to allow the compartment door to be closed with phone inside. Would probably have to cut out the rear of the compartment to allow more clearance but I am willing to do that if it would allow me to close the lid. That's the only thing that bugs me about the d-dock solution, is always having the door open. Perhaps the existing d-dock could be slide rearward a bit more if the back were cut out of the compartment? Have to take it apart and see...

Danny, do you subscribe to this thread?!?

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      16 R
      01-24-2017 11:31 AM #46
      Had it for a while, and I'm really happy with it!!! Personally I didn't tape it, It snugged enough for my liking.

Also, I do have a slim case, so the door do close with an iPhone 6 or 6s.

Last edited by jog_gmc; 01-24-2017 at 11:47 AM.

24. Member
      01-24-2017 01:56 PM #47
      I have a slim, next to nothing case on an iphone SE. I assume there would be no issue at all for the door to close? Thanks.

25. 01-24-2017 06:53 PM #48
      Here's another positive post about the dock. I love mine. I did use the tape, probably didn't need it though.

Definitely can't close the door/cover with my phone in the dock (pixel xl). Didn't expect to be able to, either, just mentioning it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R
      01-25-2017 03:16 PM #49
      Ordered mine Monday, expected to arrive Friday. Can't wait!

27. 01-25-2017 03:57 PM #50
      Danny is incredible and has a very old school sense of customer service. i cannot speak highly enough of his communication, thoroughness, and dedication. Great product, installed it last week and i truly believe it is meant to be for the car, simple plug phone in close door (no case) and drive off!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast