VWVortex.com - D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      01-27-2017 08:11 PM #51
      Got mine today super easy install absolutely love it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT, 1986 Scirocco 16V, 1984 Rabbit
      01-30-2017 06:58 PM #52
      Another happy customer. Works perfectly with my Nexus 6P. Great quality product

Yeah, I have to clean the interior...damn dust

2016 Golf R, 1986 Scirocco 16V, 1984 Rabbit

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      01-30-2017 07:13 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by alexgc View Post

Yikes that's dirty

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R
      01-30-2017 08:42 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by alexgc View Post

Hit it with compressed air to loosen it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      03-27-2017 08:11 PM #55
      Just installed mine tonight... what a fantastic product. Very thoughtful in design, perfectly executed and makes plugging in the phone effortless and completely tucked away. Worth every penny!

03-27-2017 10:35 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by gthal1 View Post
      Just installed mine tonight... what a fantastic product. Very thoughtful in design, perfectly executed and makes plugging in the phone effortless and completely tucked away. Worth every penny!
      Yup I still enjoy mine and use it a lot. Love the fact that when I got my new iPhone 7 and a new case, I was able to make the small adjustments on the dock itself to fit. Really clever design that I think will last the life of the car.

9. 02-23-2018 01:25 AM #57
      This thread helped convince me to get the d-dock and its great as everyone has said and I'm really happy with it.

Fits perfectly with 2018 GTI and Pixel 2 (small one) with case. Its so close to being able to close the cubby though which could be a nice option. I can close it without the usb connector and with a slight angle on the phone.

I think by pushing the usb connector to be almost flush and sanding down the dock from the back and/or bottom - maybe 1/4" from both would do it.
      I probably won't bother, and I'm not sure the lack of ventilation with a closed cubby could cause heat build up which could ultimately shorten a phones battery life anyway.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R Oryx White
      02-23-2018 10:37 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by B4YM4X View Post
      Yup I still enjoy mine and use it a lot. Love the fact that when I got my new iPhone 7 and a new case, I was able to make the small adjustments on the dock itself to fit. Really clever design that I think will last the life of the car.
      Or until Apple changes the I/O port again....

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      02-23-2018 12:13 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by ssaylor View Post
      Or until Apple changes the I/O port again....
      Nope. Cause the dock can adjust to any cord.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R Oryx White
      02-23-2018 03:13 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
      Nope. Cause the dock can adjust to any cord.
      Oh, just found the install video. The OP's pics on Photobucket have been blocked.Cool.

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      02-23-2018 03:23 PM #61
      I want to order one!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      02-23-2018 03:30 PM #62
      Anyone using this with an iPhone X?

Also, how easy is this to remove - what with needing to tape it in and all...

Thanks!

*Edit*

Saw the FAQ on the site. Not too bad...
      Last edited by WilliamG; 02-23-2018 at 03:58 PM.

15. Member
      02-23-2018 03:45 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
      Anyone using this with an iPhone 10?

Also, how easy is this to remove - what with needing to tape it in and all...

Thanks!
      I will chime in on my two cents on this purchase for my Golf R...also using it with the iphone X. (prior Iphone SE)

As most others have stated, Danny is the best to deal with and has created really a product that could have come with the R from the factory. It fits in the cubby tightly even without the 3M tape. Hands down my best accessory I have purchased for the R. So much so, it has created a new vehicle reality for me that when I am looking at possible new cars, one of the first things I look at is where the heck will my phone go for Carplay LOL. It is that good. So handy to use and I listen to my Apple Music and Podcasts along with my text messages now full time. It is absolutely fabulous since I am an Apple addict. If you set the connector properly, which is extremely easy to do, you will slide your phone in blindly and it will hit the lightning connector perfectly, just push it in to fully connect. That is brilliant design in my mind..every time, I simply set it in and then push it forward and it goes straight on the connector, no fiddling left or right whatsoever.

As for removal, I can still get it out or put in while in Park, obviously easier in Neutral. As for the unit itself, I have not taped it in and it does not move. I see no need to, as this way if I want to remove for whatever reason, it can easily be done. So I have never used the tape.

As for the Iphone X, I had a SE before and you could close the cubby door fully. Not possible with the X. Doesn't bother me at all but assume some might.

Again such a great product and for the price I think money very well spent.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      02-23-2018 03:53 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post
      I will chime in on my two cents on this purchase for my Golf R...also using it with the iphone X. (prior Iphone SE)

As most others have stated, Danny is the best to deal with and has created really a product that could have come with the R from the factory. It fits in the cubby tightly even without the 3M tape. Hands down my best accessory I have purchased for the R. So much so, it has created a new vehicle reality for me that when I am looking at possible new cars, one of the first things I look at is where the heck will my phone go for Carplay LOL. It is that good. So handy to use and I listen to my Apple Music and Podcasts along with my text messages now full time. It is absolutely fabulous since I am an Apple addict. If you set the connector properly, which is extremely easy to do, you will slide your phone in blindly and it will hit the lightning connector perfectly, just push it in to fully connect. That is brilliant design in my mind..every time, I simply set it in and then push it forward and it goes straight on the connector, no fiddling left or right whatsoever.

As for removal, I can still get it out or put in while in Park, obviously easier in Neutral. As for the unit itself, I have not taped it in and it does not move. I see no need to, as this way if I want to remove for whatever reason, it can easily be done. So I have never used the tape.

As for the Iphone X, I had a SE before and you could close the cubby door fully. Not possible with the X. Doesn't bother me at all but assume some might.

Again such a great product and for the price I think money very well spent.
      Thanks for the impressions. Guess I'll make the jump! Ordering now for my iPhone X.

*Edit*

ORDERED!
      Last edited by WilliamG; 02-23-2018 at 03:55 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2018 05:09 PM #65
      Just got my D-Dock an hour ago. Thank you for getting out so quickly to me, and with a little hand-written thank-you, and a peppermint chocolate patty attached. Not bad at all!

However, that's about where my excitement ended.

Now, don't get me wrong, before I start with my criticisms, bear in mind I'm definitely grateful that this option exists, but, I can tell you - the TLDR version is that if I hadn't already bought it, I wouldn't keep it.

1.) The build quality isn't great. I get that it's 3D printed etc, but it's just not great. Things take on rough edges, there were some scratches on the visible portion of the dock, some of the felt material is frayed near the opening and not stuck down particularly well. To ME, it takes on the sort of "I threw this together as quickly as possible" theme. Even my Lightning connector doesn't come out straight, which really bugs me - this wasn't a cheap product (see picture).

2.) I simply don't buy others saying that there's no fiddling to get the phone into the Lightning connector with an iPhone X. That's not possible. What IS possible is to learn the trick of doing it. However, I couldn't possibly with a good conscience state that this works every time perfectly. The issue is the angle you put the phone in. Because some of the phone sticks out (in the case of an iPhone X, and most certainly any larger phones), that gives the phone a sort of seesaw (teeter-totter, for the Americans) feel to it. That means if you're not being precise as to how you push the phone in, chances are it's tilted a little up at the connector due to the angle the phone goes in. You LEARN it, but it's far from a process you can do without thought.

3.) Those who've stated their D-Dock does not come out even without using the tape... - really? Not if you've installed it "correctly." See, if you install it "correctly" with the USB cable coming out the near the opening, the dock easily pulls out when you pull the phone out. If you do - like I eventually did - and wedge the cable down the side of the dock, then this greatly reduces the chance of this happening. But installed as INTENDED, you absolutely would need the tape as even a slight pull on the dock causes it to come out, and my iPhone X pulls the dock out of the cubby every time without fail.

4.) Maybe it goes without saying, but good luck with a large phone and a DSG transmission. It's a bit of a nuisance even with an iPhone X while the DSG is in P, but heaven forbid you have a Plus iPhone. Oy...

Overall. I just don't love it. So there you go.

18. Member
      02-26-2018 05:28 PM #66
      I guess I took the time to research the item prior to purchase so I knew what I was getting into regards to OEM finishes and such. It is what it is, and the fact that it is tucked into the console and you see next to none of it makes it a bit of a moot point.

Perhaps you got a bad one in the lot then, because again I have had zero issues with mine.

Let me repeat, I do not "fiddle" with mine and if you take the time to set it up correctly then yes you can put the phone in and slide it back into the lightning connector. No adjusting. Once you lay the X flat, you can push it straight back and into the connector, in one motion, while watching birds fly out your window. It is 100% possible.

Again pretty sure you do not have it installed correctly. Mine goes quite far back in and becomes very tight. I have not used the tape and have pulled my X out a 100+ times and never once has the D dock moved.

Not my definition of "nuisance" to use a slight bit of dexterity to slide a phone over a shifter in order to have a product this good but just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
      Just got my D-Dock an hour ago. Thank you for getting out so quickly to me, and with a little hand-written thank-you, and a peppermint chocolate patty attached. Not bad at all!

However, that's about where my excitement ended.

Now, don't get me wrong, before I start with my criticisms, bear in mind I'm definitely grateful that this option exists, but, I can tell you - the TLDR version is that if I hadn't already bought it, I wouldn't keep it.

1.) The build quality isn't great. I get that it's 3D printed etc, but it's just not great. Things take on rough edges, there were some scratches on the visible portion of the dock, some of the felt material is frayed near the opening and not stuck down particularly well. To ME, it takes on the sort of "I threw this together as quickly as possible" theme. Even my Lightning connector doesn't come out straight, which really bugs me - this wasn't a cheap product (see picture).

2.) I simply don't buy others saying that there's no fiddling to get the phone into the Lightning connector with an iPhone X. That's not possible. What IS possible is to learn the trick of doing it. However, I couldn't possibly with a good conscience state that this works every time perfectly. The issue is the angle you put the phone in. Because some of the phone sticks out (in the case of an iPhone X, and most certainly any larger phones), that gives the phone a sort of seesaw (teeter-totter, for the Americans) feel to it. That means if you're not being precise as to how you push the phone in, chances are it's tilted a little up at the connector due to the angle the phone goes in. You LEARN it, but it's far from a process you can do without thought.

3.) Those who've stated their D-Dock does not come out even without using the tape... - really? Not if you've installed it "correctly." See, if you install it "correctly" with the USB cable coming out the near the opening, the dock easily pulls out when you pull the phone out. If you do - like I eventually did - and wedge the cable down the side of the dock, then this greatly reduces the chance of this happening. But installed as INTENDED, you absolutely would need the tape as even a slight pull on the dock causes it to come out, and my iPhone X pulls the dock out of the cubby every time without fail.

4.) Maybe it goes without saying, but good luck with a large phone and a DSG transmission. It's a bit of a nuisance even with an iPhone X while the DSG is in P, but heaven forbid you have a Plus iPhone. Oy...

Overall. I just don't love it. So there you go.
      Last edited by nicholascanada; 02-26-2018 at 05:33 PM.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2018 06:16 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post
      I guess I took the time to research the item prior to purchase so I knew what I was getting into regards to OEM finishes and such. It is what it is, and the fact that it is tucked into the console and you see next to none of it makes it a bit of a moot point.

Perhaps you got a bad one in the lot then, because again I have had zero issues with mine.

Let me repeat, I do not "fiddle" with mine and if you take the time to set it up correctly then yes you can put the phone in and slide it back into the lightning connector. No adjusting. Once you lay the X flat, you can push it straight back and into the connector, in one motion, while watching birds fly out your window. It is 100% possible.

Again pretty sure you do not have it installed correctly. Mine goes quite far back in and becomes very tight. I have not used the tape and have pulled my X out a 100+ times and never once has the D dock moved.

Not my definition of "nuisance" to use a slight bit of dexterity to slide a phone over a shifter in order to have a product this good but just my opinion.
      How did I not do my research? I mean... this thread is basically IT! It's not like I could pore over the thousands of YouTube videos about it.

Second, like I said, you have to make sure the phone is REALLY flat, and isn't teetering even a hair.

Third, how can I not have the dock installed correctly? If you have the cable sticking out the side as it's supposed to be installed, it just won't stay put when you pull the phone out. Do you have your cable sticking out the side as the instructions state? This isn't rocket science. The dock is as far back as it can be, and with the cable sticking out the little "notch" it does not stay put. With the cable WEDGED in the side (which is fine), the dock doesn't move.

And how do you address the wonky Lightning cable in my case?

Come on, now. This thing was near $100...

20. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2018 06:31 PM #68
      Well, I figured out the wonky Lightning port. The set screw had been screwed in too tightly during the manufacturing. That ABOVE picture was taken before I even adjusted anything. The plastic is cracked a little, now I look closely at it. Guess I'll message Danny and get a replacement. Poop.

Last edited by WilliamG; 02-26-2018 at 06:41 PM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      02-26-2018 07:07 PM #69
      I have to give Danny major kudos. I emailed him with my issue and he replied 10 minutes later. Hopefully my replacement will work better! Fingers crossed!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2018 05:00 PM #70
      Got my replacement D-Dock, and all is well. Lightning cable is straight etc. While I still don't love the build quality, it's mostly hidden away and works well enough. No matter what you think of the product itself, Danny was a real joy to work with, and went above and beyond.

23. 03-06-2018 10:14 AM #71
      I really like my D-Docks - it was just what I was looking for to hide the cable for iPhone 7 Plus with UAG case using Apple CarPlay and full quality Spotify music that requires cable connection.

The gear shift on the manual gets in the way if in 1st gear. Just a short learning curve to move to 2nd before inserting. As said previously the finish is matte and doesn’t match the piano black but only the front edge of dock can be seen. I wanted it to match the piano black so I sanded, bondo, primer, wet sanded and sprayed it with gloss black automotive paint and clear coat picked up at autozone. Spent a lot of time wet sanding with fine grit to get glass like finish and it matches piano black perfectly. I tried to save felt by taping off but it ended up getting wet during sanding and had to be replaced with felt bought off amazon. If I had to do over- I would just pull off felt and not have to tape off. Keep the felt and use it as a pattern for cutting the new stuff.

Anyways, the finish it comes with is adequate, but if wanted, a piano black finish can be applied.

24. 03-06-2018 11:54 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by jumbosmith1 View Post
      I really like my D-Docks - it was just what I was looking for to hide the cable for iPhone 7 Plus with UAG case using Apple CarPlay and full quality Spotify music that requires cable connection.

The gear shift on the manual gets in the way if in 1st gear. Just a short learning curve to move to 2nd before inserting. As said previously the finish is matte and doesn’t match the piano black but only the front edge of dock can be seen. I wanted it to match the piano black so I sanded, bondo, primer, wet sanded and sprayed it with gloss black automotive paint and clear coat picked up at autozone. Spent a lot of time wet sanding with fine grit to get glass like finish and it matches piano black perfectly. I tried to save felt by taping off but it ended up getting wet during sanding and had to be replaced with felt bought off amazon. If I had to do over- I would just pull off felt and not have to tape off. Keep the felt and use it as a pattern for cutting the new stuff.

Anyways, the finish it comes with is adequate, but if wanted, a piano black finish can be applied.
      hey, thanks for sharing! You have any pictures of your work? Would love to see how it turned out!

I ordered my D-dock last week, and it should arrive at my place (up here in Canada) today or tomorrow. Shipping was pretty quick considering. Very pricey for us Canadiens with our weak dollar but with all the good reviews, I'm hoping it will make my daily driving much easier and more convenient!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE, 2014 Beetle R-Line
      03-06-2018 12:20 PM #73
      Can’t complain about it. My GTI should have come with it from factory. My parents just ordered a T-Roc and I wish there would be a dock available for them as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '17 GTI SE Doppelkupplungsgetriebe | BILSTEIN B16 | EURO dynamic tails | VCDS | obdeleven

26. 03-06-2018 08:29 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by bboytaktix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by jumbosmith1 View Post

hey, thanks for sharing! You have any pictures of your work? Would love to see how it turned out!

I ordered my D-dock last week, and it should arrive at my place (up here in Canada) today or tomorrow. Shipping was pretty quick considering. Very pricey for us Canadiens with our weak dollar but with all the good reviews, I'm hoping it will make my daily driving much easier and more convenient!
      I’m traveling for a couple days - I’ll post some pictures of how it turned out this weekend.

27. 03-06-2018 09:35 PM #75
      Well, looks like my excitement was short lived. To my disappointment, the D-dock will not adjust for my phone. My micro USB is off centred and the D-dock does not adjust in that way. Really sad because I've never heard of anyone having this problem with their d-docks and I've done tons of research. I did email Danny but no news back as it is a bit late. Really hope there is some sort of fix / solution, as I'm really frustrated trying to connect my phone and keep the micro USB attached in the phone while driving. Also since I'm up in Canada it cost a whooping $130CAD with the exchange and shipping ?

BTW for those wonderingly my phone is a blackberry Dtek50

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast