VWVortex.com - D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
      03-08-2018 05:18 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by bboytaktix View Post
      Well, looks like my excitement was short lived. To my disappointment, the D-dock will not adjust for my phone. My micro USB is off centred and the D-dock does not adjust in that way. Really sad because I've never heard of anyone having this problem with their d-docks and I've done tons of research. I did email Danny but no news back as it is a bit late. Really hope there is some sort of fix / solution, as I'm really frustrated trying to connect my phone and keep the micro USB attached in the phone while driving. Also since I'm up in Canada it cost a whooping $130CAD with the exchange and shipping ?

BTW for those wonderingly my phone is a blackberry Dtek50
      That sucks. From the pictures could you not tell you couldn't move the connector laterally? I thought that was fairly clear, but maybe that's just me. Either way, sorry, that sucks.

Here's my final update on my D-Dock after Danny got me out a new one:

First, because this one was not defective, I'm able to slide my iPhone X (in Apple silicone case) into the dock like butter. Slides right in and locks. So there you go - if yours is defective (the Lightning cable coming out at an angle), then that's why your phone won't slide in properly.

I still think the build quality is a little slap-dash, and I also think it should be black since it doesn't match anything that well, but it's REASONABLY inconspicuous, that's good enough for me.

Oh, and for those as anal retentive as I am, the dock will scrape up the rubber mat on the right side if you slide the dock itself in and out a few times. It causes a rubbing on the mat that makes it look lighter where it's rubbed. Not the end of the world, but, you know... it happens.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 GOLF R; 2009 BMW 335i
      04-21-2018 03:47 PM #77
      Just installed mine and it's awesome! Because the space behind the shift level is so cramped it was a pain to plug and unplug the phone - to the extent that I really didn't use that connection much. Taking my daughter to school in the morning she'd want to plug in her phone and I would cringe with a new car with her trying to mess with her phone and the cable.

Not sure what the issues a couple other people have had with their dock but mine is perfect and Danny goes above and beyond as far as communicating and explaining. The system allows for alot of vertical and lateral movement so I would imagine most phones could fit with the correct connector.

I have a Samsung S8 as my primary and a iPhone 6 as a backup. Android auto has alot more apps, but seems to need to be unlocked randomly which is a pain. CarPlay is a little more rudimentary and lacks stuff like Waze but connects perfectly. Switching the cables back and forth takes a couple minutes to loosen and readjust. The parts really don't move and you really don't have to over tighten - a problem maybe some have had. I've had the dock out 4-5 times and haven't notices any scuffs. In fact, it fits so well I didn't even both with the tape. Once in, it doesn't move at all even when disconnecting. My iPhone 6 fits and the cubby closes with a fairly thin TPU case.

Overall it is an excellent product and Danny's support is top notch.

4. Semi-n00b
      05-06-2018 05:19 PM #78
      I got mine yesterday and installed it today. Works perfectly with my Galaxy S7 and looks great. The door closes if I want it to. Thank you, Danny.

It is sitting flat on the pad in the cubby - the shadow in the photo makes it look like there's a gap but there is not.

Touch screen fingerprints :-(

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      05-06-2018 11:15 PM #79
      Def want one for my note 8

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R DSG
      05-08-2018 08:37 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      Def want one for my note 8

Just got mine for my note 8, works great!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R 6MT
      09-26-2018 07:27 PM #81
      Just received mine today for an iPhone 7! Ordered Monday delivered on Wednesday and got very good communication from Danny.

As for the unit itself, I really have no complaints at all. The fit in the compartment is perfect, and if you follow the directions you can get a perfect fit with your phone. I think the key to avoid any issues is not not clamp down to hard on the set screws. While the material is nice, I can see how tightening too hard will cause breakage. On that note too, after reading some of the earlier reviews I didn't get any rough edges or anything, it was pretty clean in that regard.

I opted not to use the tape for now, I don't really see a need to personally.

A really nice product, with good directions. Very happy with it.

Vehicles
      09-26-2018 09:46 PM #82
      I wish mine didn't stick out of the cubby.

Ive had mine about 3 months, love it, minus not being able to close the cover.

:HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      What vegeta said.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      09-26-2018 10:04 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      I wish mine didn't stick out of the cubby.

Ive had mine about 3 months, love it, minus not being able to close the cover.

Stick out? As in your phones in there and it can’t close ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      2018 GOLF R; 2009 BMW 335i
      09-26-2018 10:16 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by tonipepperoni77 View Post
      Stick out? As in your phones in there and it can’t close ?

Essentially if you have anything larger than an iPhone 6 it comes out too far to close the cubby door with the phone docked. I don't see any way you could design a dock that allowed for as much flexibility with respect to Apple/Android, no case, thick case, etc and not have a small cost to depth of the cubby. That said, with the mindless love of bigger and bigger phones it really doesn't matter. Now that 6" screens are considered entry level, I bet many of the current phones won't fit even without the dock. My GS8 is a tiny but too long to close the cubby with a very thin case. Keep in mind that the phone is not in the way or even looks bad. About the only negative is if you were in the habit of leaving your phone in the car and you didn't want it visible.

All that aside the D-Dock is one of my favorite add-ons. I use it every day. Stays put, no tape needed.

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      09-26-2018 10:27 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Chumley99 View Post
      Essentially if you have anything larger than an iPhone 6 it comes out too far to close the cubby door with the phone docked. I don't see any way you could design a dock that allowed for as much flexibility with respect to Apple/Android, no case, thick case, etc and not have a small cost to depth of the cubby. That said, with the mindless love of bigger and bigger phones it really doesn't matter. Now that 6" screens are considered entry level, I bet many of the current phones won't fit even without the dock. My GS8 is a tiny but too long to close the cubby with a very thin case. Keep in mind that the phone is not in the way or even looks bad. About the only negative is if you were in the habit of leaving your phone in the car and you didn't want it visible.

All that aside the D-Dock is one of my favorite add-ons. I use it every day. Stays put, no tape needed.
      Yeah I love mine. I never keep my cubby closed anyways

2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 19's Hyper Black RSE102 - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

Vehicles
      09-27-2018 02:28 AM #86
      I like mine closed and it can def come out, happened a couple times in the canyons lol

What vegeta said.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Ginster Yellow 6MT Golf R
      03-18-2019 11:07 AM #87
      Danny posted on D-Docks.com that he has a new batch made up.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      07-31-2019 11:42 AM #88
      Just ordered mine! Hoping it works in the MK7.5, I dont think there were any design changes to the cubby, but we'll see

16. 08-06-2019 05:24 PM #89
      Just received and installed mine in my mk7.5. No more phone flying around on launch XD

17. 08-06-2019 07:36 PM #90
      Received mine yesterday. Installed it immediately and really like it so far.

I didn't even know that I needed it until I saw this thread.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI
      08-06-2019 08:46 PM #91
      Can you close the cubby still when no phone is in the dock?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      GIAC Stage2 - AWE TOP w/ S3 Intercooler and AWE hose kit - AWE CCB - AWE Turbo Back Exhaust - Unibrace XB - 28mm Front H&R Sway Bar (Soft) - 24mm Rear H&R Sway Bar (Stiff) - Driver's Gear Springs

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      08-06-2019 09:16 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Bender. View Post

It would depend on the length of the phone but I suspect the answer is normally no.

Edit::Read it wrong, yes it closes when empty.
      Last edited by Urlik; 08-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav+, 2019 Alas SEL-P
      08-06-2019 09:38 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Bender. View Post

Yes, with no phone in the dock you can close the door without issue

21. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DCC/Nav/DSG Limestone Gray
      09-20-2019 09:08 PM #94
      Got mine 4 days ago. Easy to adjust and install; fit my USB-C Pixel 2 great, as well as fitting the cubbie well. The connection is just snug enough to be unlikely to let the phone come loose (should be good at least thruStage 3... . Can't quite close the door with the phone installed, but then again, I couldn't close it before with a straight USB cable on the phone, either. The back sides of the cradle are obviously printed, but the surfaces you see when it's installed are a nice black matte finish that looks little different from the other interior surfaces of the cubbie.
      There was a delay getting the cable needed, but Danny sent me an email to let me know, and that there'd be a day's delay in him shipping to me. That sort of thing happens, but it's nice to be notified.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234