Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strange "skipping" while panning - Nikon D5200

Vehicles
      VW
      09-03-2016 10:06 AM #1
      I'm a total novice, first video, take it easy on me. I'm trying to figure out why the footage skips on my DSLR. It's clearly not skipping when I use my drone. I recorded at 1080p 30fps with ISO 800, F5.6, shutter speed of 1/60th. It was a handheld pan using a basic non-weighted stabilizer.

Fast-forward to the 00:30sec mark and you'll see the frames jump during this scene. This was rendered to H.264 in premiere pro cs6. Sequences matched. Shot and exported at 29.97 fps at 1080p, max bit depth, NTSC, Profile High, Level 5.1, VBR 2 pass, Target and Max bit rate at 300mbps (!), keyframe distance 1. With these settings, I got much better color quality and less artifact/noise. When I exported at YouTube's recommended bit rate, I got terrible noise and artifacts.

I just tried a test using a different lens and 1080p 24fps and I get the same skipping while panning. So it's either my body or the software settings.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pennybags View Post
      Stop whining about stupid **** and stop jerking yourself off to analogue nostalgia as if your fondness of the past has objective merit. God damned snowflakes.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1987 Mercedes-Benz 300TD; 2000 VW Passat GLS
      09-06-2016 12:42 PM #2
      Is the skipping happening in the source footage or only in your final video? Are you using image stabilization either in the camera or software in post? It almost seems like rolling shutter compensation that is causing the skipping in the YouTube video.

Vehicles
      VW
      09-06-2016 03:10 PM #3
      From what I've gathered, it's a combination of the "fast" panning movements of the dslr and low-bitrate footage. The sensor of the drone handles movement a lot better and I downloaded a firmware update to record at 64mbps with my dslr instead of 24. I also bought a fluid-head tripod and the test footage I did over the weekend showed a vast improvement in this area.
      Quote Originally Posted by Pennybags View Post
      Stop whining about stupid **** and stop jerking yourself off to analogue nostalgia as if your fondness of the past has objective merit. God damned snowflakes.