VWVortex.com - Achtung baby: Tesla Model S sales crush S-class numbers for the first time in US!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Achtung baby: Tesla Model S sales crush S-class numbers for the first time in US!

Vehicles
      BMW 328i GT, BMW X3, Toyota Appiiance
      10-13-2016 11:19 AM #1
      Data obtained by Bloomberg shows that the Tesla Model S walloped the “large luxury sedan” competition in the U.S. in Q3 2016.

And how did Bloomberg’s Tom Randall come by such data that Tesla doesn’t normally release on a whim? (generally only generic worldwide quarterly sales – 24,500 for Q3 overall)

“Tesla accidentally gave me their internal U.S. sales figures for Q3 (which are impressive).”

One assumes the chart/data provided to Bloomberg was originally intended to be included in the company’s upcoming Q3 fiscal report due on Wednesday, October 26th after the market closes and was released unintentionally early.

The only argument that might come up on the chart, would be whether or not the Model S actually slots into the “large luxury” sedan category.

Most agree the Model S is “large,” but some argue it’s not in the same league as these other “luxury” cars. Near-luxury perhaps? We’d just be splitting hairs really. The bigger story is that Model S sales are up 59% from Q3 2015!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ry-sedan-sales

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 10-13-2016 at 11:23 AM.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      10-13-2016 11:22 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      The only argument that might come up on the chart, would be whether or not the Model S actually slots into the “large luxury” sedan category.
      It does't. It's more of a CLS/6-Series GC/Panamera/A7 or high-end 5er/E-Class/A6 competitor.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      5spd Breadvan
      10-13-2016 11:25 AM #3
      Well I just learnt something new. I thought it was more of an E-class or 5-series competitor. I associate S class with chauffeur driven ultra luxury.

edit: what Ryukein said ^^

Vehicles
      BMW 328i GT, BMW X3, Toyota Appiiance
      10-13-2016 11:34 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      It does't. It's more of a CLS/6-Series GC/Panamera/A7 or high-end 5er/E-Class/A6 competitor.

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      10-13-2016 11:35 AM #5
      the model S is a hatchback, but based on pricing i would say its a fair comparison...i would also hazard a guess that it would be crushing the GC, Panamera, A7, etc. as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      10-13-2016 12:05 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by compy222 View Post
      the model S is a hatchback, but based on pricing i would say its a fair comparison...i would also hazard a guess that it would be crushing the GC, Panamera, A7, etc. as well.
      Oh absolutely, and it is impressive that it beats out the full-sizers... But it isn't one.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      10-13-2016 01:23 PM #7
      that 7 series up-tick though!

i assume due to the launch of the new one?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      LS1 FD, AMG 500se, KTM SM, sooby outback
      10-13-2016 01:30 PM #8
      In the grand scheme of car categories sure, but with the Tesla I don't think most people are cross shopping it against similarly sized/packaged cars. It's more of a Tesla vs. all other options scenario. I think a lot of people miss the point when we get into trying to categorize what its up against. Model S's don't really directly compete with anything due to their specific electric nature acceleration, and power capabilty.

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      10-13-2016 02:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WALS1 View Post
      In the grand scheme of car categories sure, but with the Tesla I don't think most people are cross shopping it against similarly sized/packaged cars. It's more of a Tesla vs. all other options scenario. I think a lot of people miss the point when we get into trying to categorize what its up against. Model S's don't really directly compete with anything due to their specific electric nature acceleration, and power capabilty.
      Yeah. Basically. IMHO its WB makes it closer to 5 Series and E Class, but it is also wider and tends to be on the higher side of that class' dimensions. It's messed up trying to classify with dimensions since all MFRs have +/-5" even when they agree their products are peers.

BTW... how does it compare in sales vs 5 & E?

Vehicles
      '88 e30 M3, '97 e36 M3, '09 328i M Sport
      10-13-2016 03:08 PM #10
      Cool statistic. I think what people are getting hung up on is the "large luxury" category. What I'd like to see is the specific requirements necessary to be classified as a "large luxury" car, because most of the comments are "the Tesla isn't large enough/isn't luxury enough".

What classifies the Model S as "large"? Some folks have mentioned wheelbase, exterior dimensions, interior dimensions, etc. By comparison, when the Saab 9000 was first imported into the US due to interior dimensions (huge interior space due to the hatch) it was classified as a "Large car" by the EPA. The only other import with this classification was the Rolls Royce.
      The combination of the folding rear seat and the estate/saloon opening rear hatch made for superb load-lugging characteristics. The Saab 9000 was the only imported car, bar the Rolls Royce, to be classifed by the United States authorities as a “large car”.
      I'd be interested to know if the EPA's classification is still used here for sales figure comparison.

Similarly, what classifies the Model S as "luxury"? Does Bloomberg have a checklist of amenities, features, options, power output, etc that allows each car to make the cut?

I think without these parameters identified, no one will be able to say with confidence which other cars are appropriate to measure up with the Model S. I looked at the linked story but did not see such specifications. If anyone has anything concrete, post them up.
      1988 BMW M3 Project Thread - 8k all day, rain or shine. Yes, I drive mine.
      1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible - 335whp, March 2010 Eurotuner Feature Car

Vehicles
      5spd Breadvan
      10-13-2016 03:26 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      Yeah. Basically. IMHO its WB makes it closer to 5 Series and E Class, but it is also wider and tends to be on the higher side of that class' dimensions. It's messed up trying to classify with dimensions since all MFRs have +/-5" even when they agree their products are peers.

It did pretty good actually. Both the e-class and 5-series YTD sales are down.

Model S
      Q3 2016: 9,156
      Q3 2015: 5,756

E-class & CLS
      Q3 2016: 15,118
      Q3 2015: 14,887

5 series
      Q3 2016: 7,430
      Q3 2015: 10,257

13. Member
      10-13-2016 03:30 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post

It makes more sense to categorize by price imo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      You're a self-serving Japanese car-hating asshat.
      I drive two Japanese cars.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 A4 Limousine, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      10-13-2016 03:44 PM #13
      I think the large hatchback body style helps the Model S' sales despite that being a traditional low volume segment in the US. That top line number is impressive. What do you guys think is the ATP- $90k?

The hatchback helps the owners more easily advertise to the rest of the public that they are driving a Tesla, which is what they want. A sedan body style that looks like an uglier E-Class or 5er wouldn't accomplish that nearly as well.

Kind of the same way Prius sells great but hybrid models of primarily gasoline powered vehicles do not.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      10-13-2016 04:01 PM #14
      If only Tesla had more than 1 model car and 1 model minivan. Call me when they are selling 25 different models like MB or 14 different series like BMW.

16. 10-13-2016 04:35 PM #15
      I read in some publication (can't exactly remember which one) that MB use sales figures from the S-class sedan, coupe, convertible, and Maybach which makes the numbers look better compared to the competitors. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      10-13-2016 06:19 PM #16
      BMW and Tesla with huge % increases while Audi, Lexus, and MBZ taking huge hits? Am I dreaming??
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      10-13-2016 06:29 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      BMW and Tesla with huge % increases while Audi, Lexus, and MBZ taking huge hits? Am I dreaming??
      The BMW is brand new and the Tesla is Tesla. The Audi and Lexus are about to be replaced and the S-Class is about to get facelifted. I'm not too surprised.
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      '12 Clubman S, '96 Miata 1.8
      10-13-2016 06:39 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I think the large hatchback body style helps the Model S' sales despite that being a traditional low volume segment in the US. That top line number is impressive. What do you guys think is the ATP- $90k
      This is why I can't think of it as a 5er/E competitor... way higher ATP, more in line with A8 3.0/650/740 pricing, and kind of in a gray area for MB. And I'd bet a lot of Tesla buyers are would be S-Class etc buyers who just want the latest and greatest (or specifically want a Model S). I'm sure there are conquests from both sides of the spectrum though.