Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Wireless options for traveling out of the country

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      10-13-2016 06:06 PM #1
      I am going to be going to Australia next month for 2 weeks. Right now I have AT&T and a Samsung note 4. I'm pretty sure I will have access to WiFi where I'm staying but it would be nice to have access to a wireless network while exploring the city (Sydney) as far as searching for stuff online or using google maps, what have you. I checked what AT&T had for options. For $40 I could get unlimited texting, $1/minute calling and 200mb data. For $60 I could get unlimited texting, $.50/minute calling and 300mb data. For $120 I could get unlimited texting, $.35/minute calling and 800mb data.

So, what other options are out there?

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      10-13-2016 06:16 PM #2
      Buy a pre-paid SIM when you arrive.

Vehicles
      10-13-2016 06:25 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      Can you do that with a phone that isn't "jail broke"?

Would the pre-paid sim include data and stuff? I assume you would have a different number associated with that sim card?

What place do you do that at?
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      10-13-2016 06:39 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      I don't buy phones attached to carriers, can't help you there.

Would the pre-paid sim include data and stuff? I assume you would have a different number associated with that sim card?
      It would be a local Aussie number. There should be multiple plans to choose from.

What place do you do that at?
      Probably a kiosk or shop in the airport or any grocery or convenience or electronics shop once you get there.

Vehicles
      10-13-2016 06:49 PM #5
      I think the attached phone would be the issue there. worth a shot I guess.

Vehicles
      01 Tial 605 S4; 01 Maxima; 18 4Runner ORP
      10-13-2016 06:56 PM #6
      I'm on tmobile on the t-mo ONE plan. I get unlimited text and data (slow speeds) along with $.20/min phone calls when travelling abroad.

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html
      Go Pack Go!
      Quote Originally Posted by bluerabbit0886 View Post
      A friend of mine is at law school at Gonzaga. He says Spokane is a real **** show. Florida of the Pacific Northwest...

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW & Atlas R-Line
      10-13-2016 07:08 PM #7
      I think the attached phone would be the issue there. worth a shot I guess.
      How long have you owned the phone? Aren't they supposed to unlock it after a certain point?

An AT&T phone will work fine in any country... It's Sprint and Verizon that could be an issue.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      10-13-2016 07:19 PM #8
      Good for local usage, and FaceTime or Skype, but then you're not reachable at your usual number if someone needs to get hold of you. The down side is if you think getting spam calls on your mobile phone is annoying, it's nothing compared to getting spam calls *at international roaming rates*.

"Jailbreak" has nothing to do with it. What you're thinking of is 'carrier lock'. If you're not under contract, they are supposed to unlock the phone at your request. If you are still under contract, I think AT&T will do it if you're traveling out of the country, but they of course would prefer you use their roaming plan.

An AT&T phone will work fine in any country... It's Sprint and Verizon that could be an issue.
      Very much this.

I've worked and traveled with people who keep swapping 10 different SIM cards in their phone.... it's a pain in the ass. "Call me on 1234567890." "I tried, didn't work." "Oh, wait, that's my Swiss number. Next time try 987654321, that's my UK number..." "JUST GET A ****ING ROAMING PLAN YOU ****!!!"
      Last edited by OOOO-A3; 10-13-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Vehicles
      10-13-2016 07:42 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      Good for local usage, and FaceTime or Skype, but then you're not reachable at your usual number if someone needs to get hold of you. The down side is if you think getting spam calls on your mobile phone is annoying, it's nothing compared to getting spam calls *at international roaming rates*.

"Jailbreak" has nothing to do with it. What you're thinking of is 'carrier lock'. If you're not under contract, they are supposed to unlock the phone at your request. If you are still under contract, I think AT&T will do it if you're traveling out of the country, but they of course would prefer you use their roaming plan.

Very much this.

I've worked and traveled with people who keep swapping 10 different SIM cards in their phone.... it's a pain in the ass. "Call me on 1234567890." "I tried, didn't work." "Oh, wait, that's my Swiss number. Next time try 987654321, that's my UK number..." "JUST GET A ****ING ROAMING PLAN YOU ****!!!"

I'm planning on letting people know that if they need to get ahold of me in an emergency that I could be reached via facebook or e-mail. I'm still under contract, I might have 6 months left. Maybe I'll stop by again and see what my options are for buying out my contract.

Vehicles
      A blue oval and a bowtie. Domestic swill.
      10-13-2016 08:07 PM #10
      How long have you owned the phone? Aren't they supposed to unlock it after a certain point?

Many phones have both radios already installed, the phone is just set to use the carrier's preferred system. It's similar to taking your already-paid-for phone from one carrier to another, but the details I'm not sure of now.
      Smooremin: "Dont worry. My corset really fills me out ."
      Sold Over Sticker: "The only difference between innuendo and flirting is the desired result. "
      KidL: "Dammit, Chippy! You're making bad choices!"

Vehicles
      i've a horse outside.
      10-21-2016 02:14 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Many phones have both radios already installed, the phone is just set to use the carrier's preferred system. It's similar to taking your already-paid-for phone from one carrier to another, but the details I'm not sure of now.
      Pretty much all of Verizon's phones that run off 4G are unlocked out of the box. It was part of their agreement with the FCC when they were allowed to purchase all of that 700mhz spectrum.

And if the phone isn't set to "global" mode out of the box, just go into settings, networks, and change it to whatever you like (GSM only, CDMA only, Automatic, etc).

so if you've got a 4G phone from them within the last few years, you should be all set.
      shut your mouth. sh sh shut your mouth.

14. n00b
      Unit 7a, 142 Johnson Street, London, UB2 5FD, Unit
      11-30-2019 06:21 AM #12
      Homeflow is the smart choice when it comes to home automation. We have simple, easy to use systems to suit every BUDGET.
      Our biggest goal as a company is to introduce as many people as possible to smart home technology.
      Keeping you and your loved ones safe
      Smart home technology isn’t just about asking Alexa to turn on the TV and cranking up the audio when the latest blockbuster is released. Real value comes when you can rely on a safe and comfortable environment that’s efficient and economical. With steadfast security integrated into your alarm, camera surveillance, gate entry and alert notifications you can stay observant even when you’re not at home. With temperature control and schedule settings, coming home to a cold home and forgetting to turn on the hot water is a thing of the past.
      SMART HOMEFLOW UK LIMITED provide a fully project managed service to design, install & commission both residential & commercial A/V, lighting & Security systems. We take pride in building strong, professional relations with our clients, to ensure smooth running of your project. At Cleverhome Automation, our main aim is to exceed our customer's expectations in all aspects of our service.
      Our Main Products to Focus on
      Smart Lightings
      Smart Wi-Fi Plug
      Door/Window Sensor
      Wi-Fi Smart Bulb
      Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip
      Motion Sensor
      Door Sensors
      Robot Vacuum

https://www.gethomeflow.com