VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

deAutoLED DIY thread: Footwells, Glove Box, Trunk, License Plate, Brake/Tail, Front Turn Signal, Reverse, Cornering LED + much more!

64K views 221 replies 19 participants last post by  deAutoLED.com 
#1 ·
All LEDs for your MK7 can be found here:
http://deautokey.com/category/shop-by-car-model-vw-gti-golf-mk7-2015

We will add all the DIYs we have for the MK7 in this one post, we will add to it anytime we have a new DIY!

[***DIY: FOOTWELL LEDs***]
Footwell DIY - works for single color and multi-color footwell LEDs:
Listing for Single color (choose from red/blue or white):
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-single-color-footwell-leds-choose-from-red-blue-or-white

Listing for Multi-Color footwell - choose from over 15 colors:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-remote-control-color-changing-footwell-leds

Footwell DIY:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-single-color-footwell-leds-choose-from-red-blue-or-white

footwell color changer - still a plug and play LED bulb but you can choose from over 15 colors!
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gti-remote-control-color-changing-footwell-leds

Since the installation of the deAutoLED footwells was a little tricky for me (the housing and setup might be different since I have a 2016), here's a guide of how to do it. I've included a few pictures of the highlights of the processes).

Driver's Side (First 3 pictures)

Step 1 -
Starting on the driver's side, locate the footwell LED. Using a flathead screwdriver (installation would be easier with the deAutoLED interior toolkit), stick the flathead into the small cutout and pop out the housing.

Step 2 -
The housing will be connected to the power supply. Carefully detach the cable by pushing in on the two small tabs on the side of the cable. Then, remove the black casing. Carefully remove the OEM LED and replace it with the deAutoKey LED.

Step 3 -
Pop the black casing back on, plug back into the cable (this will likely be difficult because of the tight spacing, but won't be as difficult if you don't have large hands like I do). Once plugged back in, pop the housing back into place. The driver side is now done.

Passenger's Side (Last 4 pictures)

Step 1 -
The housing on this side is somewhat difficult to remove, but be patient and you will get it. What I did to remove the housing was to use the head of a nail on the right most side of the housing (there will be a small notch, just like the driver's side housing). Once you've pulled enough, there will be a small gap where you will need to poke your flathead screwdriver into. Push down on this stubborn housing and it will come out.

Step 2 -
Unplug the cable from the housing (same as the driver's side). Now you will be holding the housing with the black casing. Now you must stick your flathead screwdriver into the tiny gap between the upper housing and the black casing. Carefully push in and remove the casing. On the other side, there will be two very small tabs that need to be pushed in with a good bit of force. The casing should now be removable from the housing.

Step 3 -
Remove the OEM LED and carefully insert the deAutoKey LED (make sure the small plastic is connected with the small holes on the LED board). Carefully put the casing back on, plug the the LED back into the cable, and push back into the original position. The passenger's side is now done!

Minorly tricky installation, but be patient and you will be rewarded with two powerful and awesome lights!

Hope this guide was helpful! Let me know if you've found a better way to do it so I can change the guide. :D

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Glove box Listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-volkswagen-gti-glove-box-led-bright-crisp-white-error-free

[***Glove box DIY***]

Glovebox - (2-5 minute install)

Supplies needed:

• Flathead screwdriver
  • deAutoLED glovebox replacement
Step 1 - Use a flathead screwdriver to remove the housing from the glovebox (my housing was extremely snug - be patient).

Step 2 - Once you have the housing out, you will see the aluminum heat shield, which will probably be a little warm. It is attached to the housing by 4 small plastic pieces (which are part of the housing). Take off the heat shield.

Step 3 - The bulb is held on by four small metal bits. Use your screwdriver to gently pry the metal bits off of the bulb. The bulb should slide out. Push the LED in completely, then gently press the metal bits down until they're in full contact with the LED. The LED should light up if the housing is still connected. Pop the heat shield back on and pop the housing back into place. Done!

#3 · (Edited)
Front Turn Signal Listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-br...-signals-for-the-volkswagen-2015-mk7-golf-gti

[***Front Turn Signal DIY**]

Front turn signals - (5-10 minute install)

Supplies needed:

• deAutoLED front turn signals
Step 1 - Pop the hood open. To access the headlights, open the circular compartment. The turn signal bulb is the lowest cable/housing (look for the orange or the housing with two plastic prongs - the lower cable/housing in the attached picture). Pull it straight out (sometimes it takes some force, which is more difficult to do on the driver's side due to the small area around the compartment).

Step 2 - Now you will be holding the housing and bulb. To remove the bulb, hold the bulb and twist it counterclockwise. It should pop up out of the housing.

Step 3 - Slide the LED in. Once you have successfully lined up the two metal bumps on the LED with the two copper notches inside the housing (you will see what I mean when you look inside), you will have to twist it clockwise. It should now be connected. Put the housing/LED back in until you hear a little snap from the housing locking in place. Put the compartment cover back on. Repeat for the other side.

Step 4 - Start the car completely and test out both turn signals. If they were properly installed, no errors should display. If you get an error or alert message, follow the steps again and reinstall.

#4 · (Edited)
H7 Cornering LED Listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-cornering-leds-h7-error-free-bright

[***H7 Cornering LED DIY***]
Supplies needed:

• deAutoKey cornering lights
  • Sharp knife, screwdriver, or drill (to make hole in rubber headlight cap)
  • Electrical tape
  • Zip ties (4-8 will do)
Step 1 -

Pop open the hood, locate the rear headlight caps and remove them.

Step 2-

The cornering light bulb will be held in by two locking screws. To unlock and remove the bulb, forcefully twist the housing (it is ok to hold the black housing on the end). Use a knife or screwdriver to pry the bulb out of the housing. Pop the bulb adapter off by unlocking the two tabs on the sides.

Step 3-

Now that the bulb is out, push in the LED. It's time to make a dime sized hole in the rubber cap, so that the wires can pass through (you can keep the cap off, but you risk water/moisture damaging the entire headlight system.

Step 4 -

Pass the deAutoKey plug through the newly made hole and insert the plug the outlet where the bulb was plugged into (you can push the cap back into place and tape up the open space in the hole that you made).

Step 5 -

The gold heat sink gets very hot - zip tie it to somewhere that won't melt anything. Zip tie the black box well enough that it won't rattle. Repeat for the other side (the driver's side is very difficult to access due to the intake and windshield washer fluid - be patient!)

Let me know if there's a faster or better way to do this!

#5 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
#8 · (Edited)
Great customer video/review:

Hey guys. I know there are more than a few comprehensive reviews for DeautoLED's products but I wanted to share my experiences with them as well!

In the past for my TDI, I purchased the full interior kit, Front & Rear turn signals and License Plate LED's and have now purchased their Front Turn Signals, License Plate Kit and Full LED Brake Kit for my new GTI.

Everything came in perfect condition and was packaged very well.

New Amber Front Turn Signals

Turn Signal Comparison & Final Result

Brake Kit Comparison & Final Result

Final Review:

Amber Turn Signals:
These puppies are really really bright even in daytime. Very sharp cut on/cut off time and match the side mirrors very well in terms of color. Install was pretty easy and took about 5 minutes.

License Plate Lights:
VERY BRIGHT! These look incredible at night, and create a nice sharp cutoff line on the pavement. They also assist with backing up via mirror or rear view camera as they illuminate much more of what's behind you. Install time about 5 minutes as well.

Brake Kit:
These look much cleaner than the OEM lights. I'm not certain on buying the european lights so these were more cost effective. They have a very crisp cut on/cut off time and are significantly brighter than the stock bulbs. They also fill the entire housing, filling the lines so they match the LED DRL's perfectly. Very worth it and will look great when I lightly smoke the tail light housings. Install time was about 25 minutes, I took my time as to not break any clips or jam anything back in awkwardly.

DeautoLED has a lifetime warranty on all their products so I buy with confidence. I've had to replace a few bulbs in my time using their products and they immediately ship a replacement. Their customer service has always been stellar. I'm an LED fanatic and they do it right.

#9 · (Edited)
Brake/Tail/Turn Combo Kit DIY

Brake/Tail/Turn Combo Kit LED listing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-complete-brake-osram-led-kit-bright-error-free-plug-play

Received my deAutoLED brake and reverse lights today. Had to install them immediately. :D

Here's an installation guide:

Tools you will need:
- Knife
- Flathead screwdriver
- deAutoKey Brake Lights
- deAutoKey Reverse Lights

The attached pictures are taken during the main highlights of the installation.

Outer brake lights - (First 6 pictures)

Step 1 -
In the trunk, there are two small cutouts. This is access to the screw that holds the outer brake lights. You will need to carefully cut into the cutout because it is not cut all around (don't completely cut out the cutout, only cut the parts that are connected to the pre-cut areas). Once you gain access inside the cutout, there will be a large white screw connected to a spring. With one hand, hold the cutout fabric back while you use the other hand to turn the screw (the screw will be very difficult to unscrew at first - be patient and it will eventually start coming loose.) This is when you must hold the outer brake light with one hand and remove the screw with the other. When the screw has been removed, pull the brake light out with a bit of force (there will be a plastic pop, which is normal/nothing is broken).

Step 2 -
No you can unlatch the red tab on the exposed cable and carefully pull the brake light away from the cable. Now you have a completely removed brake light. Now, find and undo the four tabs around the black plastic casing. Once you've removed the plastic and rubber circle, find the two tabs around the bulb housing. Once you've applied enough force to remove the bulb housing, you can replace the bulb with the LED.

Step 3 -
Now you can plug the housing back into the brake light, then reattach the black rubber and plastic circle. Plug the power cable back into the brake light and lock it in place with the red tab. Now you can carefully refit the brake light to the car and put the screw back in. Once you've fully tightened the screw, the outer brake light will be ready. Repeat for the other outer brake light.

Inner brake and reverse lights - (Last 3 pictures)

Step 1 -
On the back of the trunk (below the glass) there will be two cutouts. Insert a flathead into the small notch on the outermost side. Push down on the plastic covering until it pops off, exposing the inner brake and reverse lights. First, pull the black stick from the electrical housing, this is the reverse light. Replace the bulb with the reverse LED. Keep the reverse light out of the electrical housing for now.

Step 2 -
Pull the red tab down to unlock the cable from the electrical housing. Now, find and unlock the four black tabs (this will take a little work since once side will try to snap back into place when you're trying to unlock the other side). Once you've had success, remove the housing from the inner brake light. Now you can pull out the original bulb and put in a brake light LED.

Step 3 -
Time to insert the housing/board back into the inner brake light. This will take some patience to line everything up correctly (make sure all four tabs have been secured). Then, plug the cable back into the housing and lock it with the red tab. Now you can insert the reverse light into the housing. Once everything has been secured, you can push the plastic covering back into place. Repeat for the other inner brake light.

Now you're done! A bit of work for this installation, but it is quite worth it.

Hope this guide was helpful to you. Let me know if you've found an easier way to do any of these items/steps. :)

#13 ·
If anyone has any tips or anything to add to the DIY please post here! Every car model varies even within the same year so all extra info is appreciated.

And if you have a DIY you created please post it and we will share it on our site.

Thank you :thumbup:

#15 ·
Great customer tip for front turn signals:
Passenger side is a piece of cake since it is readily accessible. On the driver's side you will make your life easier by popping the washer fluid fill hose out of its bracket so you can move it out of the way. It helps with access to the driver's side light housing and makes it a lot easier.
:thumbup:

#16 ·
amazing review philips 194 vs ours
listing: http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-bright-10pc-cree-led-reverse-kit-error-free-plug-play

So awhile back I purchased Philips reverse bulbs from Amazon for my GTI. I was looking for something that was an LED, pure white, and had a bit more light output (I park in a very lowly-lit area). I got them, installed them, and quite frankly was not all that impressed. Yes the light was white, they lit up instantly and looked pretty cool. The light output was the same, if not slightly less than the stock incandescent bulbs. I left them in for a few months and then decided to look for something else. I didn't want to go the eBay route, so I turned to deAutoKey. I know they've been around for a bit and cater to the VW/Audi community. I was one of the first to get their front turn signal LEDs and still rave about them and get compliments. I'm really glad I went with their reverse bulbs. I would estimate at LEAST 25% more light output than the Philips versions, great quality, got them in 2 days. These are way more than adequate if you want a pure white LED with more light output for your car. Here is a comparison:

Philips Reverse LEDs:

deAutoKey LEDs:

A couple more things to point out, notice that the deAuto bulbs are whiter. The Philips bulbs definitely have a yellowish "tint" to them (sort of similar to a 4300k HID bulb). Also, the lighting in the garage was similar, but not exact. There is more light in the deAuto picture but they are still brighter. I was going to take a picture of them in total darkness but in all honesty picture would be washed out with the light output. I wanted to give the most realistic depiction of the light output of both bulbs. These are obviously super easy to install. But check your housings, my bulb holders just pull right out whereas some need to be twisted out. Really loving these so far. Now I need the LED tail bulbs!

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
2017 R: I found the driver side to be a real pain - no play in the wiring, needed needlenose pliers and ninja dexterity to unplug. No human fingers would work :) The passenger side was much easier. Maybe just from all the training from the driver side :). Effort was worth it, though - colors look sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 ·
UPGRADE with H7RC Xenon Bulb for your Reflector housing - achieve projector-like visibility guaranteed!

With reviews like this you cannot go wrong:

"much easier to drive at night, not sure how I use to drive with halogens."

"install was easier than I originally thought, after adjusting the bulbs for a few minutes I got the perfect beam angle and after a year of driving with these I have never been flashed by another driver"

"clean and upgraded look that I didn't need to drop $1000 on! Thank you!!"

Nights are longer and coming sooner, get the visibility you deserve:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk7-gt...kit-full-set-including-adapters-and-resistors

#30 ·