Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DrvUMad's '17 Oryx White MK7 R Build Log

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      11-06-2016 12:32 PM #1
      A little background for those of you who don't know me. I've owned over the years:
      • SVT Lightning Auto, SVT Contour MT, '97 Eclipse GSX MT, etc
      • 1997 Porsche 993 C4S MT Aircooled
      • 2003 C5 S6 Tiptronic
      • 2004 MK4 R32 MT (still have)
      • 2007 MK5 GTI MT
      • 2008 MK5 R32 DSG
      • 2011 MK6 GTI DSG (still have)
      • 2012 MK6 Jetta TDI DSG
      • 2016 MK7 R MT
      • 2017 MK7 R DSG

So as you can see, I enjoy a manual transmission as much as the next guy, probably more so.

When the MK7 R was first announced, I knew I had to have one and placed a deposit on one of the first 500 pre-orders, but after getting wind that a '16 model was going to offer a manual transmission I backed out on the pre-order and waited! Fast forward nearly a year and I finally picked up my '16 MK7 R manual transmission in August of 2016 from a dealer way out in South Carolina and drove it home. Link to that '16 Lapiz Blue MK7 R Build Log here.

I loved this car! My favorite car ever for sure! But after about 6-9 months, many upgrades, and much spirited driving I had this sinking feeling that I just couldn't shake, this car wasn't as perfect as it could be and I felt there was no sense in continuing to upgrade the car any further. The manual transmission was truly one of the worst I've ever driven or owned, even after upgrading the clutch, flywheel, bleeder, shift linkage, bushings and brackets, it still never felt or shifted right. Some of the problems I faced; the linkage armatures would bind power shifting from 2 to 3 (I even greased these with lithium), the synchros were notchy from the day I bought the car and never smoothed out, the gear ratios even caused me some angst being as low as they were, and I wont even discuss that tragedy of the stock clutch system. So what was I to do? Well, my amazing wife saw that I wasn't happy with the car any longer, and we are at a point in life where we can spend pretty liberally, so she suggested I sell it and buy another but with the DSG and start all over (as an added benefit, she could drive this one).

So fast forward a few months, I stripped and sold what I could from my '16 and searched high and low for another MK7 R w/ DSG in either Blue or White. Eventually my friends in Cincinnati hooked me up with a dealer down there that had a perfect car in-transit an unspoken for. I placed a deposit over the phone and drove down there the day after it arrived to pick it up and get started on my new adventure!

I insisted that the dealer not unwrap or clean the car as part of their PDI process but only inspect the engine, drivetrain and suspension (remove the pucks) and that I would like to unwrap it and clean it myself! They thankfully obliged, except the part about removing the strut pucks. They left those in, but I didn't go far before realizing it and turned right back to have them remove it after maybe a couple miles.

I don't want to start a flame war with this traitorous post. But maybe my words can sway any of you on the fence between which transmission to select.

So, now that I have a clean slate to start from, and have first hand knowledge of a wide array of upgrades, where do I start and what upgrade do I repeat and what do I skip over this time around?

Completed Mods to date:

Engine and Transmission

Suspension, Wheels and Brakes

Interior

Exterior

Video of power run on dyno: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTG94EIj...irozmotorsport

Last edited by DrvUMad; 07-13-2019 at 10:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      17' Golf R
      11-06-2016 12:35 PM #2
      I hope you have your flame suit on

Vehicles
      04 R32, 16 Golf R
      11-06-2016 02:10 PM #3
      I'm glad you were able to get the car you wanted. Who cares what others think as long as you are happy!

I'm looking forward to following your build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      03 Jetta WE 6spd APR S3+, '14 JSW DSG, '00 S2000
      11-06-2016 09:41 PM #4
      I'm one of those unlucky folks who over-revved their R's.

The dealership had an Oryx DSG car and I very nearly pulled the trigger but after owning almost exclusively manuals for the last 15 years I just couldn't pull the trigger.

I debated making the trade a few times. Glad to see it worked out for you.

7. 11-06-2016 11:01 PM #5
      This coming from another mk7 R mt owner that loves his car, I can say that yea the dsg is the way to go. But whatever, still the best car I have ever owned and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it! I want those apr brembos soo bad!!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      11-20-2016 04:38 PM #6
      Received and installed my Emmanuele Design eMMOTION Spring Kit last night. I will take it for an alignment sometime this week, but so far I like!

First post updated with latest photos

9. 11-20-2016 08:05 PM #7
      subbed!

10. 11-20-2016 08:43 PM #8
      Nice build! I notice you are considering a big turbo kit. Let me save you a lot of money. DO NOT get the APR Stage 3. I am one of many with APR stage 3 that have had major issues. I highly recommend choosing a different option. There are several kits that will be launched in the coming weeks that are much better choices.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 LSG Golf R
      11-20-2016 09:25 PM #9
      Builds really coming together! Looks great. Look forward to hearing your opinions on the springs.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R - Oryx White (DSG,DAP,DCC,NAV)
      11-20-2016 10:58 PM #10
      Glad to hear you made the jump to the right car for YOU! I did the same last week, traded my 16' R MT for a 17' R DSG, and am so glad I did. I felt the same way, no matter how much $ I put in, the car was just never quite right (but it was still a great car). So I decided to go the same route, trade, and put the $ into the car that felt perfect to me, not looking back. Of course others may not agree, but in the end, you need to be happy...

The car is coming along nicely, great job. I'm re-modding mine as well and adding a few things as I go along. Started this weekend and re-installed the dark cherry LED tails, more to come...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      11-21-2016 12:39 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Rotex7 View Post
      Nice build! I notice you are considering a big turbo kit. Let me save you a lot of money. DO NOT get the APR Stage 3. I am one of many with APR stage 3 that have had major issues. I highly recommend choosing a different option. There are several kits that will be launched in the coming weeks that are much better choices.
      I plan to put a couple thousand miles on the car to work out any warranty issues before making a decision.

I've had my eye on the EFR twin-scroll before APR announced they were using it in their kit. I sincerely hope APR get's their act together on that EFR kit before I have opportunity to decide.

Alternatively, I also have my eye on the TTE525R and a UM tune to go with. Issue with that however is the nearest UM tuner is easily 250-300 miles away.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      11-21-2016 08:24 AM #12
      Sub'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      | Instagram: @jonr32 | Mk4 R32 RS - Sold | Mk4 R32 BMP - Sold | 13' Mk6 Golf R - Sold | 17' Mk7 Golf R |

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      11-22-2016 12:12 AM #13
      I've been itching to black out the silver housing surrounding the front emblem for a while now, so today I decided to strip the grill apart to get at it.

I wrapped it with some leftover scrap 3M gloss black. While I was at it, I removed the front badge to see how I liked it.

I'll get some better pics outside tomorrow!

11-22-2016 12:21 AM #14
      Hopefully next spring, if I don't do the JB1/4 thing, we can go to Akron together for UM tunes

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 LSG Golf R
      11-22-2016 07:30 AM #15
      Like the grill without the R badge!

I'd be up for a get together at UM in Akron! They also give a nice discount and install tunes at Wookies in April.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      11-24-2016 12:10 AM #16
      Change of plans... I think.

So with nearly everything on my stopping and handling to-dos list completed, it's time to consider adding power. My goal is to squeeze as much out of this engine as possible while yet keeping it reliable and civil enough to daily for a number of years to come!

I had been mulling over the APR Stage 3+ kit for a long time (I had planned to put it on my '16 Blue R but held back for the DSG). By now, I had expected them to have their issues long behind them and be working on improving the offering with E85/Flex Fuel/Anti-Lag/Meth/Stage 4 tune, but alas... Perhaps it's time to look elsewhere, such as Iroz's Xona based kit, or CTS's Garrett, or maybe a different BW EFR kit from another tuner. Decisions, decisions!

In advance of selecting a new turbo/fueling kit I am putting together plans and estimates to rebuild the short block + valves with the help of Integrated Engineering and HS Tuning. My goal here is to build the bottom end strong enough to support nearly anything I can throw at it without making helicopter sounds and shaking the car apart.

What's going to go into it?

• IE Tuscan I-Beam Rods
      • Mahle Pistons (9.3:1)
      • Mahle Race Rod Bearings
      • Mahle Race Main Bearings
      • IE Billet main caps
      • Block bored/honed .5 over using a torque plate
      • Short Block Decked flat
      • Polished Crank & Chamfered Oil holes
      • ARP Head Studs
      • IE Perfomance Valve Guides
      • IE Perfomance Valve Springs

I should have the full cost estimates after the Thanksgiving holiday and be able to get the ball rolling before Christmas.

Wish me luck!
      Last edited by DrvUMad; 11-24-2016 at 10:12 AM.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      11-24-2016 01:01 AM #17
      Nice build

I've got almost the same engine setup you are planning minus the upper engine work.
      IE Tuscan rods
      Mahle Pistons
      Mahle race bearings
      Block bored/honed 0.5mm
      Balanced
      Went with a LOBA LO462. Got a conservative custom tune on it but looking at a 034 tune as it looks like they have one for this turbo.

In the future I'll probably upgrade the head as you are doing, as $$ allows.

Thing is a ****ing monster.
      Good luck with whatever you choose

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      02-09-2017 09:39 PM #18

Yay!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 LSG Golf R
      02-09-2017 09:47 PM #19
      Iroz Motorsports for the win! Can't wait to see the beast in action.

22. 02-09-2017 10:14 PM #20
      how do you like the emmanuele springs? I have a 16R non DCC MT and am looking to get those springs soon.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      02-09-2017 11:45 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by rr1santos View Post
      how do you like the emmanuele springs? I have a 16R non DCC MT and am looking to get those springs soon.
      I like them much more than the VWR springs I had previously. These still give a comfortable ride, while giving a nice stance, whereas the VWRs were much harsher but likely better on track.

24. 02-10-2017 01:06 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by DrvUMad View Post
      I like them much more than the VWR springs I had previously. These still give a comfortable ride, while giving a nice stance, whereas the VWRs were much harsher but likely better on track.
      i read that people have one side lower than the other...did you experience that? thoughts on how it can be remedied? i plan to go to their warehouse to buy the springs and have them installed by them..maybe if I experience that they can fix it?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Oryx White Golf R
      02-10-2017 05:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by rr1santos View Post
      i read that people have one side lower than the other...did you experience that? thoughts on how it can be remedied? i plan to go to their warehouse to buy the springs and have them installed by them..maybe if I experience that they can fix it?
      I've not noticed, but I also haven't taken a measuring tape to it.

The car is out in Vegas for the next month, but when it gets back I will measure the ride height across all 4 corners.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      02-11-2017 11:06 AM #24
      woah,

you posted a pic of you getting your car dropped of at Iroz and we are talking about spring height.

I cant wait to see how this turns out

Vehicles
      MKVII R, Evo IX
      02-11-2017 04:43 PM #25
      Damn, those brakes are sexy! It's crazy how R owner's are so quick to swap out the stock calipers. I thought stock brakes are awesome.. Car looks great!

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast