VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Mk4 O2J 1st Gear whine

7K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Coltron5k 
#1 ·
Been noticing lately that 1st whines from ~2500rpm and up. No other gear has any whine.

Around the end of spring/beginning of summer, I changed the gear oil with Syncromesh (had a grinding 3rd and no longer grinds) and replaced the end cap seal, the 2 pivot pin o-rings, re-sealed the tower emblem and put in 2 new axel flange diff seals. Never noticed any noise until recently.

Any idea what could cause this noise? Is there anything I should worry about? I have no other symptoms other than noise. Trans does not leak anymore.

#2 ·
poor syncros

like my 2001 wolfie the O2J tranny was a poor shifting box from new + by 99,xxx could barely get into 5th others poor as well, i put Redline MT-90 in it + shifting was better + better as i drove more! at 150,xxx ripped teeth off 5th in hi boost 25lb mode!! a good rebuild by APTuning in Lebanon Pa + all is well except my bank account!!!

#4 ·
Bump.

I'm thinking of changing the gear oil back to an OEM spec oil due to the whine, since I noticed this has come on a while after putting Syncromesh in. My shifting has been very good, especially now that I've installed new engine and trans mounts and I am getting solid shifter bushings soon as well. Hoping using an OEM oil will take away the whine.

#8 ·
trans noise

The noise could be from 1st and reverse rubbing on each other of the over center spring breaks.
It can also be caused when the needle bearings sit and basically pit the bearing surface of the gear or shaft, which at certain speeds will whine. Worn bearing can cause it also. So you will have to pull the trans, take it apart and verify whats going on inside.

#9 ·
The noise could be from 1st and reverse rubbing on each other of the over center spring breaks.
It can also be caused when the needle bearings sit and basically pit the bearing surface of the gear or shaft, which at certain speeds will whine. Worn bearing can cause it also. So you will have to pull the trans, take it apart and verify whats going on inside.
Should I worry about it though? It gives me no problems.

I'm going to try so MOS2 additive first and see if that quiets up the whine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.