VWVortex.com - How old were you when you started skiing/snowboarding?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How old were you when you started skiing/snowboarding?

1. Member
      01-06-2017 11:11 AM #1
      My son started ice skating when he was 4 and is now playing hockey at 5. He's already super excited about snowboarding but I decided to start him off on skis instead since I feel it'd be very easy for him to transition from skating to skiing versus to snowboarding.

Personally, I started ice skating at maybe 8 years old. Then skateboarding seriously at 13 or so. Transitioned to snowboarding naturally by 18. Now pretty much just ski since I find it more relaxing! Anyway, my son's 5 now and we're starting skiing this season with him. Needless to say, we're all pretty excited!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      mk3 jetta
      03-06-2017 11:03 PM #2
      i started when i was 2 or 3, very earrly i no, but i can say this i do not remember learning, and in the past 7 years to teach my friends i had to think about what i was even doing and explain that to them

4. Member
      03-13-2017 12:52 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by stagz View Post
      i started when i was 2 or 3, very earrly i no, but i can say this i do not remember learning, and in the past 7 years to teach my friends i had to think about what i was even doing and explain that to them
      Do they even make equipment small enough for a 2-3 year old?

That is definitely very young but toddlers are also very capable of learning and absorbing everything you throw at them, so I can see that. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to teach a young child how to ski or snowboard. As you said, it's just a natural effort that you really need to break it down to basics and actually think about what your body is doing and then break it down further into smaller, more focused individual skills!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-23-2017 03:37 PM #4
      My mom started to teach me at about 5... I plan on starting my son next season, so about 2.5 years old. Get him onto tiny skis to walk around the backyard and slide down the hill. Just to get a feel for skis being 'normal'

I just came back from skiing in Switzerland and there many 4 year olds in daily lessons. And a handful of 2-3 year olds with parents.
      Last edited by B_artman; 03-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.

7. Member
      03-24-2017 11:45 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by B_artman View Post
      My mom started to teach me at about 5... I plan on starting my son next season, so about 2.5 years old. Get him onto tiny skis to walk around the backyard and slide down the hill. Just to get a feel for skis being 'normal'

I just came back from skiing in Switzerland and there many 4 year olds in daily lessons. And a handful of 2-3 year olds with parents.
      That's awesome. I love seeing little kids learning at such an early age. It's amazing how quickly they pick up new things versus many adults who are learning later in life.

We didn't get a whole lot of snow this winter season so my son had very limited time on his skis. On our 1st day trial, I had him ski down a hill in a park in a straight line and he loved it. He loves tobogganing and he loves playing hockey so skiing to him was like the best of both worlds!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-25-2017 09:08 PM #6
      About 25 for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

9. Member
      03-27-2017 02:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      About 25 for me
      Learning any sport as an adult always comes with different challenges (and different advantages too, of course) versus learning it as a child. How did you find the learning curve at 25? Did you ski or snowboard? How long would you say it took before you were at the technical proficiency you are at now?

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      05-01-2017 12:45 PM #8
      I learned to ski as a little kid. That was in the dark ages with leather lace boots, wood skis, cable bindings, and really low tech clothing.

This is on the bunny slope back in 1966.

11. Member
      05-01-2017 03:18 PM #9
      ^ Wow, that's really cool. It's amazing how far ski equipment has changed, even just 10 years ago. I'm still riding on decade-old Rossignol Bandit B1 twin tip freestyle skis. Some years ago, a guy sat next to me on a ski lift, saw my B1 skis and remarked,"Wow, I haven't seen those in a long time!"

A side story...

...I recall circa 1990, my skateboarding crew & I had 1 shared snowboard, a plastic Black Snow Mogul Monster, which didn't even have metal edges, and we'd take it to a local hill to try out. We made little kickers midway down the hill and tried to transpose as many skateboarding tricks as we could on it. It was fun but we never thought snowboarding would actually take off the way it did.

Fast forward some years before any of us got serious at snowboarding. One of us in our small skateboarding circle of friends ended up getting sponsored to ride for a snowboard company which was pretty cool. As for me, I still love snowboarding but at my age, I stay away from the skate park. I instinctively still let out a "yeah!" if I see a kid pull off some sweet move on the halfpipe though.
      Last edited by woofster; 05-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTi
      10-07-2017 09:11 PM #10
      Snowboard/ski instructor here. I started skiing a week before my 4th birthday, snowboarding at 14.

It is my opinion that you should let a child do the sport they want so you get more buy in. There is huge crossover between skating and skiing as you noted though. I wanted to snowboard at like 12 but my dad wouldn't let me. When I finally got on a board I didn't go back to skiing until 29.

There is equipment for children of all ages to do either sport now. Boot size is the main limiting factor. Google "Burton riglet park" for some sweet grom action.

13. Member
      10-24-2017 01:47 PM #11
      Started snowboarding at 16 on my Kemper.

My kids have it good. My 9 year old started snowboarding at 4 and now rides blacks with us and last year started learning some nice simple fs grabs and really dialing in her style. My 6 year old started skiing when she was 3 and now we have to bomb the hill to keep up with her. No poles, just a helmet and skis flying down the hill launching every catwalk.

My wife and I have been snowboarding together for 20 years and this was always a vision we had. Riding with our kids.

Vehicles
      13 GTI, Trek 9.8 elite
      02-23-2018 10:12 AM #12
      I was 8 or 9. Happy my family was into it. This part of the forum is inhabited!
      PSN: ehamptuna

Vehicles
      18' Terrain, 14' StingRay, 71' Malibu, 05' Honda VTX, 00' BMW R1100RT, 2 C'Dales
      02-28-2018 08:03 AM #13
      I was 13 (1974), A Math Teacher I had and her Husband were on the Ski Patrol at one of three local ski complexes.
      I skipped the bunny hill after the brief introduction and headed for the intermediate hill. I was successful in getting on and off the chair lift but as I was gaining speed down the hill, I forgot what they said about stopping so I decided it was time to bail out. I was hooked and saved up for my own skis, boots, etc. I was part of the formation of the Ski Club in school and was on the Ski Team in High School.
      When I left Michigan to go to a college in the south, I lost my desire to ski and spent most of my free time chasing Carolina Cuties
      I've made a few ski trips to Colorado but haven't been on skis since 1995. Now when I travel in the winter, it's usually to a warm destination so I can golf.

Vehicles
      3d
      05-25-2018 06:49 PM #14
      The one and only time I went snowboarding, I was 26.

It was a blast.

I had skateboarded a lot when I was a kid and love winter. Put the two together.
      i have nerd tendencies

i work in a world of shoulds (>ლ)

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Mk6 Golf R
      10-13-2018 01:28 PM #15
      I was around 24 I think? Learnt on a dry ski slope in Sheffield UK, then had a number of holidays in the French alps. Since moving the the States (Virginia) I've only been into the Shenendoah mountains once but plan alot more this winter!

18. Member
      11-20-2018 11:52 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Andy-Greaves View Post
      I was around 24 I think? Learnt on a dry ski slope in Sheffield UK, then had a number of holidays in the French alps. Since moving the the States (Virginia) I've only been into the Shenendoah mountains once but plan alot more this winter!
      Good for you, for learning at an "older" age!

I think it's fantastic when I see adults learning activities like skiing or snowboarding. I remember when I was learning and although I never want to be at that point again, it was a hard, grueling, challenging yet very rewarding phase of progression. I always tell beginners: It does get easier and the better you are, the easier it is!

So, just to update this thread, this will be my son's 2nd season skiing and he's super excited once again. We had to sell his 100cm Rossis and picked up a new pair of 110s with slightly bigger boots to fit. I'm sure he'll outgrow them by the end of this season. He will be continuing with ski lessons in the next level up. In his 1st season last year, they primarily stayed on the green hills but they did do a few runs on blue hills too. I volunteered as an assistant instructor just so I could ski around as well as help, encourage and motivate the kids. It was great and I can't wait to do the same again this upcoming season!
      Last edited by woofster; 11-20-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Vehicles
      44 cylinders, 19.9 liters
      12-10-2018 05:11 PM #17
      Started cross country skiing when I was about 4, jumped on a board around 12 and never looked back!
      "For the sake of making this easier, let's just agree that I know everything and am correct."

2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @chipan_dougleville

20. Member
      12-11-2018 12:56 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 7GIRLS3CUPS View Post
      Started cross country skiing when I was about 4, jumped on a board around 12 and never looked back!
      How did you find the transition from skiing to snowboarding at that age?

I skateboarded/snowboarded before I ever got on skis but I can ice skate so my experience was quite different. Lots of people (adults) I talk to who are proficient in one and suddenly switch to the other seem to have difficulty making that transition.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI
      04-17-2019 11:16 AM #19
      Both my parents meet on ski patrol so I had no choice, not that i regret learning. But got on skis on my 3rd winter alive, so 2 years old turning 3.