• MK7 GTI

9 16.67%
    • MK7.5 GTI

45 83.33%
    Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Pre-Purchase Advice Needed about to buy a GTI or Golf

1. Member
      01-23-2015 12:41 PM #1
      For those that have driven a stock 13 GTI vs 15 GTI...

I have driven a 13 GTI but won't be able to try the 15 GTI for a week. The 13 GTI is new old stock, and discounted $8,000 less than 15 GTI.

Just wondering if people think the 15 GTI is worth moving to for $8,000 more? Are all the improvements that major of a deal? Assuming they are, just interested in hearing other opinions. Thanks!!

Cheers,
      Nick

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 pure white GTI 2 door DSG
      01-23-2015 12:47 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post

I have driven a 13 GTI but won't be able to try the 15 GTI for a week. The 13 GTI is new old stock, and discounted $8,000 less than 15 GTI.

Just wondering if people think the 15 GTI is worth moving to for $8,000 more? Are all the improvements that major of a deal? Assuming they are, just interested in hearing other opinions. Thanks!!

Cheers,
      Nick
      I can tell you for a fact the 2015 is worth the extra money. My fiance has a 13, I have the 15. Her car is great but the MK7 has really improved the interior, driving dynamics and chassis feel. The 13' is good, the 15' is great, but I guess with the 8k your saving you could just mod the 13?

Vehicles
      Mk7 / 997
      01-23-2015 12:47 PM #3
      To me the difference was night and day.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      15' GTI PP (Daily), 05' Evo 8 (Track), 05' Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 (Tow&Plow)
      01-23-2015 12:47 PM #4
      Thats a personal question you need to ask yourself since you've driven both. Will you have buyers remorse if you go with the older model a year or two from now? Understand that the older car has already depreciated a significant amount too and being a older model it will never be worth as much as the MK7 is in resale or trade in value too. If you can afford the MK7, I would say go for that and negotiate the price some to close the gap.
      15' GTI PP/LP/DSG: [email protected] - Fastest and Quickest IS38 in the World! APR | AWE | Bilstein | Enkei | EuroCode | Forge | JB4 | Neuspeed | StopTech - My Build Thread
      -05' Evo 8.5: Fully Built 2.4LR motor w/ HTA3586R TS- 700+WHP Time Attack Car
      Follow me on my new Instagram account @ RjRacing05

7. Member
      01-23-2015 12:59 PM #5

Cheers,
      Nick
      Living here in Germany with a relative who works for VW, I have driven (for 6 months to 9 months at a time - employee leasing) Golfs IV through Golfs VII (we are on our second or third Golf VII - I've lost track).....the only earth-shattering difference between them is the difference between Golf VI and Golf VII.....the exact scenario you are talking about. It IS night and day. IV through VI all felt the same.....another Golf.
      Not this time.

The best way to describe the difference is the difference between my 1985 GTi and my 1985 Scirocco. Two completely different "feeling" cars. If it was possible to drive blindfolded you could EASILY tell the difference between the two. One felt 6 feet tall compared to the other which felt like the nicest riding, nicest handling go kart you've ever driven.....and that was the Scirocco. Tight, nice riding, nice handling and feels like it's 10 feet wide.
      THAT is the difference between the VI and the VII.
      I'm allowed to crack on Americans(and American cars) - I am one.

Vehicles
      Current: 2018 ABM Civic Type R Was: 2016 NBM PP Golf GTI 6MT, 2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      01-23-2015 01:01 PM #6
      I'd say the amount of depreciation you'll deal with that new '13 vs the '15 is going to be significantly less, since you are starting out $8k less. MK6s are nice cars, if you don't need anything the new MK7 brings specifically I don't think there is anything wrong buying the MK6.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      01-23-2015 03:01 PM #7
      The mk7 is leaps and bounds ahead of the mk6.. In just about every category. Especially looks, that lower roofline and wider stance really makes the mk7 pop. The Mk6 used to look good to me, now it just looks too tall and bubbly.

10. 01-23-2015 03:13 PM #8
      You're only going to get bad answers on here when clearly the cheaper car is the best decision for financial reasons.
      I'm not new.

11. Member
      01-23-2015 04:52 PM #9
      Thanks...I appreciate hearing the comments. It seems like the VII is getting the votes for night and day..and worth the extra..money is not an issue, I just wondered since it is $8k different between the two price wise..whether there is that much of a diff between the two..and it appears there is.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI 6MT
      01-23-2015 04:57 PM #10
      Thanks...I appreciate hearing the comments. It seems like the VII is getting the votes for night and day..and worth the extra..money is not an issue, I just wondered since it is $8k different between the two price wise..whether there is that much of a diff between the two..and it appears there is.
      I also say to drive the MK7 so you can see the difference. MK7 stock felt better to me the a Stage1 MK6.
      I was in the same boat, drove them both, for me difference was 5k.
      Got the MK7 after driving there was no contest, I wanted the new one.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      01-23-2015 05:01 PM #11
      In terms of my own Night and Day experience, I test drove a MK7 GTI 2 weeks ago. The 25% extra torque (+50 ftlbs) in the MK7 GTI make it feel nearly as quick as the MK6 Golf R I test drove last year (at anything less than "arrest me now" speeds). (nearly identical torque in both, +40 hp and +250 lbs for the Golf R) (Of couse the off the line traction in the AWD Golf R can simply not be matched by any FWD GTI.)

EDIT: the real answer is to research and test drive both yourself. 8k is a decent chunk of change, only you can really decide if it is "worth it" to you.
      Last edited by Waterfan; 01-23-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      01-23-2015 05:23 PM #12
      I have owned both and a mk5. And I can say without a doubt NO WAY is the mk7 worth 8000 more. No way at all. It's a far better car but not worth the amount the op is asking about

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      01-23-2015 06:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by nastybags View Post
      I have owned both and a mk5. And I can say without a doubt NO WAY is the mk7 worth 8000 more. No way at all. It's a far better car but not worth the amount the op is asking about
      It depends on what cars he's comparing. If It's an S manual with no options at all, and the msrp is 25k? and they are selling a leftover mk6 for 17k? hell yeah get the Mk6. But this probably is not the case. I can find several Mk7 S GTIs (6MT with no options) in my area selling for around 22k. If I were you OP, I'd get one of those. This mk6 can't be much less than those.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE Performance 3-Door in Pure White
      01-23-2015 06:44 PM #14
      Yes. If the extra $8,000 won't break your pocket book. Especially tuned. Just tuned my GF's Mk7 today. The Mk6 feels more playful and smaller. Less like a fast luxury car and more like a quick and spunky small car. Stage 1 Mk6 to stock Mk7, the Mk6 is quicker and more fun to drive. Stock to stock unsure haven't driven a stock Mk6 in a year. Stage 1 vs Stage 1....the Mk7 feels like a properly quick small Germany luxury car.
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)
      Gone Mk6 Golf GTI 3-Door DSG (APR Stage 1+, APR CAI, etc)

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 06:46 PM #15
      The New Car Buying Experience
      BY ARTHUR ST. ANTOINE / JANUARY 1, 2015 /0
      The Asphalt Jungle Feb 2015
      I may be an auto-industry insider, but I hate buying a new car just as much as you do. Sure, at first the process is all unicorns and moonbeams: the giddy anticipation of what the new sweetheart will be, the breathless reading and re-reading of AUTOMOBILE reviews, the gleeful hours poring over stats and photos on websites and glossy sales brochures (an audio system with only 12 speakers and 1,500 watts? Pass!), the endless pie-in-the-sky debates (Ferrari or Porsche … or maybe a Lambo this time!), the mental images of driving home from the showroom at last with the brand-new jewel—at 12 mph, with the hazards on, fearfully ducking away from every fender-banging motorist within 20 yards. Ah, but then reality sets in, the evil twins Bank Balance and Practicality shoulder their way into the debate, and soon you’re seated in the dealership, once again shopping for a “realistic” car. And it’s then that the dreaded ritual begins in earnest: the outraged haggling, the childlike pouting, the pigheaded silent staring, the laughable threats of “we just can’t do that.” (At this point, I must apologize to all the fine salespeople I’ve encountered for my boorish behavior.)

Keep Your Teen Safe w/ Driving Safety Tips
      www.libertymutual.com/teendriving

Exactly one year ago, I went through all of the above and snagged a new car. I bring it up now because at the time, a brand-new edition of my ride of choice was set to hit the market in only four or five months—and I’ve since had plenty of opportunities to reflect on the pros and cons of my decision. See, back then I faced a conundrum familiar to anyone in the market for fashionable shoes or a new iPhone: Buy the dusty outgoing model (the cost-conscious schmuck move) or scrape by for a while to stand in line and drop top dollar on the latest and greatest New Thing (the rash, hipster option).

I chose schmuck. Now, I’ve owned a pretty wide variety of rigs in recent years: Land Rovers, a BMW 528i, a Jeep Wrangler, and an Audi A6 2.7T. Because I now get my adventure fix hosting the online show “Epic Drives,” I nixed going the SUV route again. I’m also fortunate to test-drive enough hot metal to get the sports-car jones out of my system. What I wanted was a good-looking, versatile, entertaining machine for a modest outlay of cash—something equally adept at hauling a load of scuba gear and tearing up the twisties in Malibu on the rare deadline-free Sunday afternoon.

I chose a Volkswagen GTI, the sixth-generation 2014 edition. The descendant of the original hot hatch is something of a default choice among automotive journalists; several colleagues of mine own or have owned one. It combines clean lines, a poised chassis, astounding interior room for its trim exterior dimensions, a gutsy turbocharged four-cylinder mill, and a very reasonable sticker (about $25,000 for the base Wolfsburg Edition). While I’ve opted for manuals on many of my previous purchases, this time I went for VW’s brilliant dual-clutch, paddle-shift DSG manumatic (so similar to a Formula 1 car, you see). Otherwise, the GTI came standard with just about everything I wanted: super-supportive seats (heated in front), a thick leather steering wheel, cool 18-inch alloy wheels, enough air bags to float a blimp. (For all you conspiracy theorists now chuckling at the “sweet deal” I probably got via my sinister inside connections: Nope. This column is likely the first time anyone at Volkswagen has even heard of my GTI purchase. When I informed the sales guy at the dealership that I was a test driver for a world-famous—and potentially highly vindictive—car magazine, all it inspired him to say was, “That’s nice.”)

I TRIED TO RATIONALIZE WAITING AND PAYING MORE, BUT IN THE END I COULDN’T AVOID THE SIMPLE TRUTH: I NEEDED A CAR. NOW.
      Here’s the rub: At the time of my shopping spree, the all-new, Mk7 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI was just around the corner. And I knew all the goodies it promised: up to a 20-horsepower bump with the Performance Package; a huge torque increase of 51 lb-ft; a lighter, more responsive suspension; new bodywork; a thoroughly modern interior; a first-ever limited-slip diff. I gnashed my teeth, tried to rationalize waiting and paying more, but in the end I couldn’t avoid the simple truth: I needed a car. Now.

I love my black-on-black Mk6 GTI—love the refined moves, the burp of the exhaust on every paddle-shift gear change, the sublime styling that picks up the red trim in the corrugated front fascia, mirrors it in the brake calipers, and continues with the red stitching on the seat belts. The car makes me happy.

But, of course, not long after my purchase I drove a new 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI. Instant buyer’s remorse? Yes and no—and probably not for the reasons you might expect. The new car is arguably better-looking. It’s a little edgier, crisper, more modern. The added power is welcome but not a game-changer; it’s only back to back that the difference is readily apparent. The DSG shifter is the same as before. The steering, always excellent, is now really quick, and the limited-slip reduces a mere whiff of torque steer to none at all. Yes, the Mk7 Golf GTI is an improvement—perhaps only marginally, but better—in almost every way than my Mk6.

2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI front three quarter in motion2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI front three quarter 022015 Volkswagen Golf GTI interior2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI rear three quarters2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI rear three quarter 022015 Volkswagen Golf GTI interior from passenger side
      It’s not the major elements of a car—powertrain, chassis, exterior—that change drastically from generation to generation. Given the realities of engineering and development, it’s more of an evolutionary thing. What does change in quantum leaps, though, are the peripherals—the conveniences and electronics so fundamental to our vehicles these days. My GTI lacks a large display screen, navigation, or even a standard USB port (it has a dongle for the old iPhone connector). I can make calls and play music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, but if I want to change the song (which always happens with 50 gigs in the cloud and some of it belonging to my 14-year-old daughter), I have to pick up the phone and manually select the next track. On the Mk7, the iPhone is fully integrated: Streaming songs appear on the center screen, and changing them is a simple matter of pressing a button on the wheel. Plus, the Mk7’s cabin is worlds more stylish than mine. (No wonder the new Golf GTI easily won a 2015 AUTOMOBILE All-Star nod.)

Should I have waited on the Mk7 to enjoy its slight boost in performance and a big reduction in headaches playing music? Of course not. My Mk6 GTI is all the car I need, and I saved a bundle buying it. But ask me again when another ditty from One Direction pops up to assault my commute. I might change my mind.

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...ng-experience/
      Mk7 Golf GTI SE 3-Door Performance Pack, Dynamic Chassis Control, Doppelkupplungsgetriebe, Lighting & Driver Assistance Package
      Mods: APR Stage 1 Low v2.0, Euro LED tails, Euro light switch, ECS carbon fiber paddles, ECS flush spacer kit, K&N filter, VAGCOM tweaks (to VAQ/DAP/etc.)

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Tornado Red '15 GTI S DSG
      01-23-2015 07:18 PM #16
      For me, it was, that's because the MK7 was the first MQB car, and in my internship at VW R&D in Germany I worked on the team that developed some of the MQB platform. When the Mk7 came out, I pretty much had to have it, because now I can say "I helped engineer this car" even if most of what I did wasn't super important, its a pretty cool thing!

Vehicles
      15 GTI SE DSG/LP & 07 Passat Wagon Lux (Past: 12 Golf / 07 Jetta)
      01-23-2015 07:32 PM #17

Cheers,
      Nick
      If that 13 GTI has Xenon Headlights it might be worth considering. If it has halogen.. the 15 GTI is a huge step up when you add the Lighting Package to it. When you look at MKIV to MKV to MKVI, there were big changes and improvements across the line, especially from MKIV to MKV. But the MKVI is primarily a refresh of the MKV.

So when you look at it that way, you're actually comparing MKV to MKVII.. and when you look it from that angle the differences are huge.
      It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, APR Stage 1
      01-23-2015 07:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
      Living here in Germany with a relative who works for VW, I have driven (for 6 months to 9 months at a time - employee leasing) Golfs IV through Golfs VII (we are on our second or third Golf VII - I've lost track).....the only earth-shattering difference between them is the difference between Golf VI and Golf VII.....the exact scenario you are talking about. It IS night and day....
      Ditto that. I have owned both MKVI and MVII GTIs, both stock and modified. There is a gigantic difference stock vs stock from MKVI to MKVII. The MKVI is a good car. However relative to the MKVII, turn in is slow, body control is poor, torque is much less, overall refinement is less.

To my MKVI I added a VWR coilover suspension inc'l matched front/rear sway bars, APR stage 2 inc'l intercooler, Wavetrac LSD and DxD clutch. My MKVII totally stock was about 90% equal to that, and with APR stage 1 it's faster and overall better in every way.

There's reason the MKVII Golf (inc'l GTI) won Motor Trend's Car of the Year. It's that good.

That said, $8,000 is a big price difference and the MKVI is not a bad car. It's a very good car. But VW "hit it out of the park" with the MKVII.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      01-23-2015 08:05 PM #19
      wow it's shocking how many people here are missing the point. Obviously the car is night and day over its older model that should go without saying. It's better in every way. But from a pure financial standpoint of 8k no way in hell is it a better option. The mk6 new with an 8k deal is a far better investment and that's kinda what the op is asking.

lol not which car is physically better that's a no brainier

22. Member
      01-23-2015 08:18 PM #20
      Yes my question is really also focused on..is it worth $8,00 more? I realize it is nicer in many aspects.

As for comparing the 13 has Xenons, and the 15 is a Autobahn.

Vehicles
      15 GTI SE DSG/LP & 07 Passat Wagon Lux (Past: 12 Golf / 07 Jetta)
      01-23-2015 08:43 PM #21
      Yes my question is really also focused on..is it worth $8,00 more? I realize it is nicer in many aspects.

As for comparing the 13 has Xenons, and the 15 is a Autobahn.
      Yes, it is worth $8,000 more but since this is the MKVII forum you will have bias here. I'm sure if you asked this same question in the MKVI forum you would have different responses.

It looks better, drives better, and has more value than ever before.

But an MKVI for $8,000 off with Xenons is a great value also. If you have a decent amount of savings and little to no debt, (at least $30-$50K not including a 401K, less than $7,000 worth of debt across CC's, loans, etc.) then I would just buy the MKVII. If you don't have a high amount of savings like many people in the west who do not, I would get the MKVI.

But yes, since the MKVI has the Xenons it is a much better value overall. If it didn't have the Xenons, I wouldn't consider it a better value even though it is significantly discounted, but that is just my opinion.
      It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning. - Henry Ford

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 09:01 PM #22
      I own a Mk6 and my GF has a Mk7 which I use and she gets the benefit of free upgrades. So my money went to one and my time gets to go to both. The Mk6 is a completely different experience. It is the last of the "original GTIs". If you want a fun fast little car the Mk6 is great. And it's better made in some ways too. If you want the best and something that can be made into a serious performance car quickly the Mk7 is where to go. Is it worth MY $8K if I hypothetically sold my Mk6 to get my GF's Mk7? No. On the other hand my GF doesn't like my car much. She prefers the Mk7. So do I. But it's not better than the Mk6 enough for me to want one. The S3 and R are. If I never owned a GTI before and it was my first (as it was) the Mk6 would be a great car. (As it was). If you like manuals a Mk6 R would be a good middle ground. DSG fan here, if they offered one in the US I'd have that over a Mk7 GTI.
      Last edited by Revolver1966; 01-23-2015 at 09:04 PM.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Audi A3 2.0t, 2015 Audi A6 2.0T, 2016 Audi Q5 3.0T
      01-23-2015 09:10 PM #23
      Manual or DSG? I felt the MK6 manual to be more enjoyable despite the longer throws.

Vehicles
      01-23-2015 09:12 PM #24
      DSGs here. Mk7 manual is nice. Like the rest of the car it is smoother feels more precise. (Only driven Mk6 R in a manual never GTI)

27. 01-23-2015 09:12 PM #25
      I wouldn't touch a car that's been sitting on a lot for potentially 730 days.

15 gti it is.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast