Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Tear down

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco/70 Austin Mini/85 CJ7
      08-19-2019 09:57 AM #276
      So as promised for the millionth time the car actually left the shop late Friday and made its way home for the finishing touches. Wasn't without drama mind you. Muffler which was to be at the shop at 10 am didn't show up until 12:30. Many hours of pipe bending later muffler was in but since I wanted twin exhaust tips and the muffler did come as ordered with two outlets we left the tips off for now as it will now need to go the body shop to cut the rear valance wider to allow the tips to clear. I know some of you are cringing at the thought of cutting a rust free valance but will look great when done.

Ken took her for a test run and left me standing there for a very long time awaiting a video of the car driving past but much to my surprise only Ken returned as she had blown a fuel line in the engine bay (one of the 38 year old ones) and he had to get a ride back to the shop thanks to a kind soul who saw him sitting at the side of the road (He had forgotten his cell phone of course). Quick run to the car with a new line and a road side repair later she was back to the garage where all the old lines were changed for fear they were on their way out.

Car is very quick as I discovered driving home (15 minute drive) but there is an issue when the engine is under boost (black smoke out of tail pipe and hesitation). Ken is feeling it is a sensor which will need to be changed. White speedo face is out with the true speed by 15 KM's or so which means the cluster comes back out again. Engine noisier than it will be as it is not exhausting out behind the car due to the lack of tips and there seems to be an exhaust leak near the downpipe.

Hoping she goes to body guy tomorrow for valance cut and then to Ken's for exhaust final work, speedo adjustment and engine boost investigation. I have had to cancel the Alpine head unit and amp install for tomorrow as this will only be in the way of the cluster coming back out.

Spent many hours over the weekend fitting the Newton Commercial carpet - oh my aching back! Fit very well as it has most of the relief cuts for things but found i had to trim about around the seat rails. Installed the seats finally (a PITA with new carpets) and used the 3D printed seat glides which worked well-no more rockin' in the Rocco. Had to remove the front grill to get to the hood latch as it was binding and the release would not open the hood-all lubed up now and works great.

Besides feeling like an old man after many hours bent over and in and out of the car a million times it was a very fullfilling weekend. Some pics below. Personally love the white gauge faces and with the original S seat upholstery and black dash think it looks awesome and a drastic improvement over the interior i inherited with the car (woodgrain and blue velour seats).

I had to add the wiper louvre things as I had these on my original car back in the mid 80's

Even got the door decals applied which Grant so gaciously sent me from Australia. They seem a tad bigger than the originals as they touch one another to fit on the jamb where they were to be but do complete the restoration.

Grant, one question. You sent me two VIN decals and two fuel decals. Were these on the passenger side as well or where they just spares?

In tucking in all the wiring down the side rails (new power wires for amps and speakers) I found this wire which doesn't seem to go anywhere. I have tucked it under the rear seat for now but wonder if anyone knows what is was meant for?

Once the exhaust is finished I promise a few videos of the Rocco showing what she can do now!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      08-19-2019 01:15 PM #277
      That is really looking great, and coming down to the last bits of the punch list

I can't see much detail on the disconnected wiring harness, but any chance those connectors go to the ebrake and seat belt warning light switches?

Edit: your dash looks great but I'll give you the heads up to keep it out of the Sun as much as possible. AFAIK the dash you used as inspiration is in a car I am familiar with, and IIRC that repair cracked again on a really hot day.
      Last edited by echassin; 08-19-2019 at 01:19 PM.
      It's hard for me to know exactly what these things cost me. I'm guessing a LOT, but I like them, so that's that.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      08-19-2019 01:31 PM #278
      I suspect you are correct there Eric as the passenger seat I have which I believe came out of a Corrado has the wiring with the seat but oddly enough this wiring is on the driver's side. Suspect it is a Scirocco vs Corrado thing that the wires are run on a different side of the car. Not sure i care if these are connected to be honest so probably won't bother.

I get you with the dash and the car will not be left baking in the sun if at all avoidable. I do have the crack free brown dash as a back up which I got from Ted over 2 years ago-would just need to paint'er black. Fingers crossed this never needs to happen or at least not for a considerable amount of time.

2 pieces I am still needing is the small black plastic seal piece for the one side which is a continuation of the rain tray seal at is meets the top of the fender-ANYONE? as well as I would LOVE the under dash cover for the drivers side! I have the passenger side but have not yet installed as I am not going to bother until the stereo is in and working. ANYONE even have a template for this oh so rare piece?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      08-21-2019 02:01 PM #279
      Car went back to mechanic Tuesday and having checked on it today the little items have been addressed with his belief that the issues under full power being that the fuel in the tank is 2 1/2 years old and should resolve themselves with fresh high octane fuel. If not then it is a programming issue and will be addressed once we know it isn't fuel. The twin chrome tips are now on and the exhaust leak addressed. Car is coming back home for the weekend then back to the body shop to finish up the cut to the rear valance to fit the twin tips and to be cut and buffed (along with the rear quarter window removal for the black trim to be installed before the windows go back in).

Finally got the original key blank cut to fit the ignition (gift from my daughter 2 years ago). Image below of the new key beside the my original 81 key (one day I will find her and this key will be the test). Gotta like the 80's key fob I still had from the original car.

Mechanic is saying that i should try and source a new squib board for the back of the cluster as it is 38 years old and quite fragile. All things work now but everytime the cluster comes out it is a delicate operation. Does anyone know of a source for these?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      08-22-2019 11:25 PM #280
      So most little things addressed today at Ken’s and then a fresh tank of high octane gas and holy crap does this thing move. Will take some time to get used to 200 Hp in such a light car. What a thrill and although 2 plus years to complete I highly recommend this engine upgrade. Haven’t even given’er yet as don’t want to stress the frame without the x member reinforcement. Certainly lives up to the license plate.

7. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-22-2019 11:34 PM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by Brixy View Post
      So most little things addressed today at Ken’s and then a fresh tank of high octane gas and holy crap does this thing move. Will take some time to get used to 200 Hp in such a light car. What a thrill and although 2 plus years to complete I highly recommend this engine upgrade. Haven’t even given’er yet as don’t want to stress the frame without the x member reinforcement. Certainly lives up to the license plate.
      No kidding. I'm going to install a 1.8t in a mk2 Scirocco next year.

Post a video.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      5 x Scirocco 1, 2 x Golf 1, 1 x cabrio 1
      08-23-2019 02:30 AM #282
      Great to see it rolling under its own power David. I would think you have a grin that is hard to remove

I sent you two door labels, yes, one is a spare if needed. Thanks for the feedback about the size. I will check the replacements against the originals I measured in Dienutz's car.

The seal retainer items you are searching for I believe Larry has got them on his 3D printed parts page now. I am yet to order my Newton Commercial carpet kit, glad to hear it was a good fit up.

Your mind must work like mine, We have buttoned up the front valence on Blue Rocco after installing a hidden support bar for the front mount and I have been pondering the question as to widen the rear valence exhaust outlet to fit the 16V twin outlet pipe, I will wait till you post up some pics of the finished set up before cutting tin here.

Hope to see it in person at Cincy 2020 this coming US summer, once again well done on the labour of love..
      If it aint a Mk1 then it's a donor....
      Brownrocco resto thread....http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f55/...esto-2339.html
      Blueroc build... https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-from-America

9. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2019 01:34 PM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      No kidding. I'm going to install a 1.8t in a mk2 Scirocco next year.

Post a video.
      Will post a video if someone can walk me through how to do that. Have been using Shutterfly to host photos but doesn't seem to work with video.

If you have any questions with your 1.8T install let me know and I will provide any assistance I can.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2019 01:48 PM #284
      Found this old photo of the interior when i purchased the car 5 years ago. Thought it made a nice contrast to what she looks like now.

New upholstery, new steering wheel, restored dash, new gauges, new carpet, new door cards and presto chango.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      08-24-2019 01:44 PM #285
      Wow, what an awesome job! She's beautiful!

Which clips are you looking for?
      I have a bunch of replicated parts that can be 3d printed here -> https://www.shapeways.com/shops/scirocco-parts

If you're missing something else, let me know.

I also make radio delete plates with blanks that have Scirocco on it (in oem font) or ones that you can put gauges in.
      Last edited by ldboehm; 08-24-2019 at 01:49 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      08-25-2019 09:41 PM #286
      Quote Originally Posted by ldboehm View Post
      Wow, what an awesome job! She's beautiful!

Which clips are you looking for?
      I have a bunch of replicated parts that can be 3d printed here -> https://www.shapeways.com/shops/scirocco-parts

If you're missing something else, let me know.

I also make radio delete plates with blanks that have Scirocco on it (in oem font) or ones that you can put gauges in.
      Thanks. Thrilled to have it back. I went to your website but don’t see the NLA piece I need. It is the roughly inch long black plastic piece which attaches to the top of the fender where the rain tray stops so there is one left piece and one right piece essentially an extension of the rain tray seal. I have ordered parts from your site and am quite impressed and thrilled to have access to impossible to get parts. Keep up the good work.

The other thing I would like is the squib plate which is part of the gauge cluster. Basically looks like a printed circuit. My mechanic thought someone in the day and age might have a way to 3D print these.

Don’t know where you could source one but I recall from my original car that there is a plastic retaining clip for the under dash cover. Not that I have one for this car as they are so hard to find but would make one if I had the clip which holds it in place.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Scirocco S, '82 Zender Scirocco, '59 Karmann Ghia Convertible
      08-25-2019 10:58 PM #287
      Don’t know where you could source one but I recall from my original car that there is a plastic retaining clip for the under dash cover. Not that I have one for this car as they are so hard to find but would make one if I had the clip which holds it in place.
      I have one of these that I can arrange to let Larry photograph / measure.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      08-26-2019 01:09 AM #288
      I think I know the piece your referring to. It connects to the fender and the rain tray seal to hold the rain tray seal in place. Is that the one?
      If so, I do have that modeled, but am not able to list it on shapeways because the walls are too thin for their finishing processes. They won't print things under 1mm thick.
      But I can print it on my personal printer. Let me know if that's the part your referring to.

That blue printed circuit board isn't something I can do. There are a few guys who have some clusters in their stash. You might post and ask if anyone would sell an extra. I asked on Facebook a few months ago for myself and got a few responses.

As for the retaining clip, I would like to model that, but need an example of a good one to borrow, or if someone could send me pictures from different angles with all the measurements in mm. Thickness, diameters, length height, etc

15. Member
      Vehicles
      08-26-2019 11:23 AM #289
      I think I know the piece your referring to. It connects to the fender and the rain tray seal to hold the rain tray seal in place. Is that the one?
      If so, I do have that modeled, but am not able to list it on shapeways because the walls are too thin for their finishing processes. They won't print things under 1mm thick.
      But I can print it on my personal printer. Let me know if that's the part your referring to.

That blue printed circuit board isn't something I can do. There are a few guys who have some clusters in their stash. You might post and ask if anyone would sell an extra. I asked on Facebook a few months ago for myself and got a few responses.

As for the retaining clip, I would like to model that, but need an example of a good one to borrow, or if someone could send me pictures from different angles with all the measurements in mm. Thickness, diameters, length height, etc
      No not the right piece. What you are describing are the metal clips which old the rain tray to the metal tray of the car. What I need is to the far right and left of the rain tray seal (extends this seal to the outer edges of the fenders.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      08-26-2019 11:35 AM #290

17. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      08-26-2019 09:57 PM #291
      I've been looking at the exploded diagrams and don't see it listed.

Per the above reply, Im not referring to the metal clips, it's the plastic clips that are at the end of the seal. have it modeled and I have it on the shapeways site called rain tray seal clips. But there are parts that are very thin walls, so shapeways won't print it. I have to print them on my personal printer, which I've done when I tested modeling it

Vehicles
      5 x Scirocco 1, 2 x Golf 1, 1 x cabrio 1
      08-27-2019 10:43 AM #292
      I've been looking at the exploded diagrams and don't see it listed.

Per the above reply, Im not referring to the metal clips, it's the plastic clips that are at the end of the seal. have it modeled and I have it on the shapeways site called rain tray seal clips. But there are parts that are very thin walls, so shapeways won't print it. I have to print them on my personal printer, which I've done when I tested modeling it
      VW # is 531 819 549 one each end of the raintray seal. Has a small protrusion to fit through the hole in the fender / inner guard.

Underside dash cover clamp is 171 863 088 ( think I have some of these actually David )
      If it aint a Mk1 then it's a donor....
      Brownrocco resto thread....http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f55/...esto-2339.html
      Blueroc build... https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...y-from-America

19. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      08-27-2019 12:44 PM #293
      Thanks for the part numbers.
      Could I borrow or buy one of the retaining clips from you so I can model it. Lots of people are looking for these and would be great to have them available some they are not quite rare

20. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      08-27-2019 05:33 PM #294
      I thought you were referring to #7 in this diagram at first (too bad they don't have the part number):

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/s.../8/821-821010/

But it looks like you need #29 in this diagram (also no part number):

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/s.../8/823-823010/

If 531819549 is the part number, here's some on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Vol...UAAOSwk25cnDey

21. Member
      Vehicles
      '81 Scirocco S, '82 Zender Scirocco, '59 Karmann Ghia Convertible
      08-27-2019 08:19 PM #295
      Thanks for the part numbers.
      Could I borrow or buy one of the retaining clips from you so I can model it. Lots of people are looking for these and would be great to have them available some they are not quite rare
      Larry, can you measure and photograph enough 'in the field' ?
      Could come by the house this weekend and use the time capsule as a source for anything removable.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2019 09:05 PM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post
      I thought you were referring to #7 in this diagram at first (too bad they don't have the part number):

It is indeed part number 29 on your second link. Says they are NLA.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      08-27-2019 09:08 PM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by 53PL-50AAA-VW611BAN View Post

When I go to the ebay link it doesn’t provide a photo or image of any kind and doesn’t give a description. How am I to ensure it is the correct piece?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      4 VWs, 1 Buick, 1 Ford & 1 Jag
      08-27-2019 11:10 PM #298
      When I go to the ebay link it doesn’t provide a photo or image of any kind and doesn’t give a description. How am I to ensure it is the correct piece?

If you have an original, you can look on that for the part number even if it's deteriorated. Somebody who has them on his or her MK1 could check theirs.

I would take a chance and buy two + shipping. I would even pay the extra $4.00 if he doesn't combine shipping.

I haven't bought anything from the guy in Latvia but he seems to have a lot of NLA parts. Most of the parts I have seen from him have been wildly overpriced. Higher than retail.

-OE

25. Member
      Vehicles
      08-28-2019 01:09 PM #299
      Finally popped the rear quarter glass back out and got the bloody metal trim inserted in the weather stripping and got the pillar trim back on. Gotta say there must be an easier way to do this but happy it is now behind me. What at PITA trying to get the tight bottom corner trim to meet up with the little metal alignment piece inserted in the molding. Makes me wonder how the hell the factory did this. I am sure the new weather stripping being a reproduction didn't help me out but hope to never do this again.

The rear valance is getting painted today as the delicate cutting and reworking to accommodate the twin exhaust happened yesterday. Will post some pics when done.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      08-29-2019 09:34 AM #300
      I should have mentioned for those who are planning on removing and reinstalling these pieces that there is a trick which we didn't notice until we had attempted it many times. The plastic clips which hold these pieces onto the body are actually two pieces, there is the main body of the clip and a plastic cylinder which is pressed into the clip. Guess my old eyes didn't notice this and without removing the cylinder and reinstalling it in the clip after inserting into the appropriate hole in the body the clip just doesn't have the holding strength. I know VW uses these on many locations on the body (fender fillers, rear shelf trim pieces and license plate infill piece between the tail lights) but didn't think to look at them that closely-stupid me.

I have also noticed that Shapeways 3D prints these now so no need to try and reuse mangled ones. Think I will order up some and replace a few which we not in ideal condition for the reinstall.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast