VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1.8t GenIII Spark Plug replacement

71K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  Dieseldog12 
#1 ·
Hello

My '14 Passat has 66k on the clock. I have tried replacing the plugs but when I try to remove the coil, th rubber insulator separates from the coil head.

Any advice appreciated.

#45 · (Edited)
Happy to see a lot of DIY'ers here so I'll get right to it;
I'm new to VW these days and have 2,017 miles on the car as of today parking at work, a '17 Golf SportWagen, 4MOTION DSG.

I'm a bit confused by many comments I've seen about VW wanting to keep cost of ownership in line with the 10k OCI yet the spark plugs / coil packs have a life span of 40,000 miles per mfg recommended change ? I don't get it.
I don't know a lot about turbos but had an '08 CX-7 and now now a '16 CX-9 Mazda as turbo/s. Never knew of a plug change for vehicles in the past 35 years that was sub 60k or even 100k. Am I missing something ?

I see the DSG will require a service and seen costs mentioned of $350 or so, does anyone know the dealer menu price for the plugs/coil packs service just for reference sake ?

I'll follow the guidelines but OCI of 6 to 9 months or so in my case and or 5,000 to 6,500 probably. My previous investments were Rotella T-6 and NGK but I have no worry going with Casterol as directed. Are NGK plugs still somewhat favored by mechanics these days ?

* Thanks in advance if anyone has a strong suggestion or good history on any of this. :)

~bach

#49 ·
I just did my spark plug replacement this morning well overdue at 80, 000 miles but they still look good A little ashy because I ran some bg44k fuel cleaner a tank before. Not sure if it was the BG cleaner or not but the Piston tops are actually still clean aluminum colored I see no carbon in there. Does this thing just run on air??
a hot tip for somebody who's planning to do this job if you want the spark plug boots to stay on the coil pack pull up on the coil pack firmly slowly straight up steadily and you'll see it inching out slowly then it will let go. I just change all four spark plugs and none of the boot stayed on the spark plug like a lot of people said they would now if you yank up on them probably will but if you pull on them slowly with steady pressure it'll inch its way out. The total job from start to finish took no more than 30 minutes it was very easy and straightforward.

#52 ·
plug change on 17 GSW 4motion

Seems like the maintenance interval and torque specs change depending on the application.

sprung for the real data.

40,000 mile replacement interval.

I am at 38,500 but doing all the other stuff to be ready for ski season.

30 NM Plug torque
10 NM for the coil mounting bolt.

I used 8NM for the ground wire nut that mounts on the coil bolt.

no issues. with this, I idled the engine to get some movement on the temp gauge. the coils came right off with a wiggle and a tug.

Did remove one connection closer to the firewall, and loosened a harness clamp near the oil fill tube to allow a little more room.

Blew off the area with compressed air, and a shot down the hole after the coil is out

wiped and put some silicone on the coil end as the tech data advises.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08946-Cle...72185671&sprefix=3m+silicone,tools,136&sr=8-3
used the 3m paste since I have a bottle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXTKZNU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

found the spark plug tool quite handy. OEMTOOLS 22885 5/8 Inch 3/8 Inch Drive Magnetic Spark Plug Socket Extension

#53 ·
The issue with removing the spark plug boot is due to the anaerobic sealant that VW uses to seal the cam cover squeezes into the spark plug hole ever so slightly when the cam cover is torqued down at the factory. Since the anaerobic sealant never cures it just becomes an extremely sticky goo that sticks the boot to the head. Just SLOWLY pull on the boot with a warm engine and they should come out fine. I cleaned mine off and put anti seize on the boot ribs to prevent issues in the future.

#56 ·
I cant remove stuck spark plug from 1.8tsi... i was able to turn 5 revolutions hardly, and now is unable to get any movement ... I hope that everything is goot but dont see it good.. how to remove it ? Is alternating engine temperature cold/hot able to release any tension ? First step is i remove spark plug and then if threads will be "usable" put new back, but in case not, some helicoil thread insert should be used ?