VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1.8t GenIII Spark Plug replacement

71K views 56 replies 26 participants last post by  Dieseldog12 
#1 ·
Hello

My '14 Passat has 66k on the clock. I have tried replacing the plugs but when I try to remove the coil, th rubber insulator separates from the coil head.

Any advice appreciated.

#3 ·
If you're able to put the coil head back into the insulator, then pull the it off
separately, then put it on the coil head when you plug them back in.

First time I have seen a 40,000 mile change interval... Platinum and Iridiums
are supposed to last 60,000+ miles...

Gap: .028 (should be this out of the box)
Plug torque: 18 ft-lbs (25 Nm).

The Iridium IX are out now (NGK BKR7EIX). There is a kit for $130.00 for
the plugs and coil packs.

I think the stock ones are platinum? Wonder if mine need changed...

The Audi RS7 plugs are one heat range cooler, and good for tunes, 024-.025 Gap.

After installation, it may start off a little harsh as the impurities are burned off the plugs
and the ECU adapts to the new ones. It should smooth out rather quickly the next time
you drive the car.

#12 ·
Is the difficulty in removing Gen3 coil packs because the rubber boot is tight against the tube (exterior of the boot) or because the rubber boot is tight against the spark plug (interior of the boot) or maybe both? I'm just wondering if dielectric grease would help ease removal in the future and where it best needs to be applied.

#17 ·
Spraying silicone at the base of the coil pack and moving the coil left and right to work the silicone down around the boot is the best way to get them loose. If you try prying with a screwdriver or pick you may damage the boot causing the coil to arc to the head and creates misfire.

#19 ·
Removing coilpack boot.

get some semi grippy pliers and just tug at them while the engine is warm, you will have to play with them a bit meaning that you will have to shake them. dont pull to hard otherwise you will rip the boot. After you get them out what you want to do is cover them with dielectric grease but not alot. This will let you get them out easier next change.

#33 ·
I did the plugs and coils Yesterday. I got a set of the RS3 coil packs:

I warmed the engine up for like 15 minutes.
Pulled the coil pack heads off, and sprayed silicone down the small hole.
Waited.

They pulled off.

They were not heated to the plugs at all, they are just on tight down there, and it's
just a bad friction area. I even put a boot on a plug without the core in it, and I still
had to pull hard to get it off the plug.

When I was pulling the boots off, two of them flung, and the cores flew out, and
I had to go looking for them... I kept them, they all still work.

Thing is, the OEM plugs were were gaped at .036, and one was .038. I gaped mine
at .032, and the car runs fine. Not sure if I should take them out and regap them or
not... Real smooth idle too.. Will test under the +4 boost on the road today. Then
try the +6 setting.

My ordeal is posted here:
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/116666-Audi-RS3-Coil-Packs-amp-Spark-Plug-Change

#38 ·
So I bought BERU 1 step colder plugs.

They will continue to sit around unless anyone wants to buy them from me.

I tried taking off the coils and no luck. Engine was warm, not hot. I had driven it about 30 miles 2.5 hours prior.

I don't plan on changing unless I absolutely need to. I'm sure I'll destroy the coils if I am ever able to get them out so I'd need new ones.

#39 ·
You won't destroy the coils; the coil pack itself will come off the boot if they are OEM.
At worst, you'd destroy the boots or lose a core.

Once you get the coil pack off the boot, then you can spray some silicone down
into the boot. 2.5 hours is plenty hot...

Get a pair of vice-grips, pull the boot up out, clamp the vice grips on the neck of
the boot, under the collar where the coil pack goes on, and pull hard... As I said,
the core may fly out, two of mine did.

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/116666-Audi-RS3-Coil-Packs-amp-Spark-Plug-Change

#43 ·
I'm at 85,000 on my 2014 Passat SE with roof. 1.8 EA888 TSI. Jan 2014 production. Havent changed plugs or coils yet. Still great mileage . I've been using BG product's 44K for fuel, and EPR and MOA. Runs great. Biggest concern for me is carbon build up because of direct injection without multiport like Eurospec and Audi.

Am I potentially causing issues by running same plugs and coils? Someone mentioned iridium plugs lasting 100,000 miles. Not sure what my stock plugs are, but my 2014 was one of the first Gen 3 EA 888 TSI's after the 2.5's.

Thanks for any input. Also, anyone else using BG products too?

#44 ·
FYI, on a 2017 Passat with the 1.8T EA888 Gen III, the owner's maintenance book clearly states to replace the plugs at 40k intervals. I had no trouble getting the coil packs off and I'll use a little dielectric grease inside the boots to ensure I have no trouble at 80K. The plugs looked great, btw, but I like to follow the manufacturer's instructions or better.