VWVortex.com - OEM e-Golf springs vs standard Golf?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 16 of 16

    Thread: OEM e-Golf springs vs standard Golf?

    1. 03-20-2017 01:12 PM #1
      I am looking at suspension options, and I am wondering if the e-Golf's OEM springs are different than any other Golf models? Do they have a different spring rate to account for the battery weight? Or are they the same as any other Golf spring?

      Thanks all!

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 03-22-2017 09:33 AM #2
      Yes they are diffrent. Both front and rear have diffrent part numbers. What i can't tell you how they are diffrent

    4. 03-22-2017 11:06 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by NoTorq View Post
      Yes they are diffrent. Both front and rear have diffrent part numbers. What i can't tell you how they are diffrent
      Any idea about the shocks?

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. 03-22-2017 12:20 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
      Any idea about the shocks?
      Those also different

    7. 06-21-2017 10:01 AM #5
      Everything is different suspension-wise on the E-Golf compared to any other MKVII Golf...

      In fact, I checked with H&R since I currently have a set of "H&R Sport" spring set on my current MKVII Golf that I wanted to put on the new E-Golf I'll get somewhere end of year but, VW tech told me it would physically fit but it won't be safe...

      E-Golf is much heavier due to battery weight and center of gravity is much lower as well, making it a totally different car regarding handling and spring rate...

      So far, only Neuspeed engineered a specific kit of lowering springs (don't know about coilovers or cup-kit...?) and just by looking at the pictures compared to a "normal" kit, it looks MUCH MUCH stronger so I guess they beefed up everything on the E-Golf.....;-)

      Cheers

    8. 06-21-2017 10:02 AM #6
      Thank you for the extra info! I will have to take a look at the Neuspeed springs.

      Quote Originally Posted by plpaiement View Post
      Everything is different suspension-wise on the E-Golf compared to any other MKVII Golf...

      In fact, I checked with H&R since I currently have a set of "H&R Sport" spring set on my current MKVII Golf that I wanted to put on the new E-Golf I'll get somewhere end of year but, VW tech told me it would physically fit but it won't be safe...

      E-Golf is much heavier due to battery weight and center of gravity is much lower as well, making it a totally different car regarding handling and spring rate...

      So far, only Neuspeed engineered a specific kit of lowering springs (don't know about coilovers or cup-kit...?) and just by looking at the pictures compared to a "normal" kit, it looks MUCH MUCH stronger so I guess they beefed up everything on the E-Golf.....;-)

      Cheers

    9. Member awd18t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2004
      Location
      Pothole city, Qc
      Posts
      810
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      03-19-2018 06:58 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by plpaiement View Post
      Everything is different suspension-wise on the E-Golf compared to any other MKVII Golf...

      In fact, I checked with H&R since I currently have a set of "H&R Sport" spring set on my current MKVII Golf that I wanted to put on the new E-Golf I'll get somewhere end of year but, VW tech told me it would physically fit but it won't be safe...

      E-Golf is much heavier due to battery weight and center of gravity is much lower as well, making it a totally different car regarding handling and spring rate...

      So far, only Neuspeed engineered a specific kit of lowering springs (don't know about coilovers or cup-kit...?) and just by looking at the pictures compared to a "normal" kit, it looks MUCH MUCH stronger so I guess they beefed up everything on the E-Golf.....;-)

      Cheers
      Neuspeed has the same part number for the E-Golf and the Golf R. That would make sense since they are about the same weight.
      But how much stiffer the will R springs?

      Stock spring rates:

      E-Golf: Front - 135 lbs/in, Rear - 215 lbs/in
      Golf R: 195 lbs/in, Rear - 245 lbs/in
      Golf Wagon: 140 lbs/in, Rear - 190 lbs/in

      They all recommend: Neuspeed 55.70.09

      Spring Rate:

      NEUSPEED Front Spring Rate: 260 lbs/in
      NEUSPEED Rear Spring Rate: 290 lbs/in
      ______________________________________

    10. 04-05-2018 06:25 PM #8
      Looks like Neuspeed has the Bilstein shocks available as well?

      Edit (directly from Bilstein):
      http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...04&14=4&12=130
      Last edited by ABTMuDa; 04-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2003
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      2,961
      Vehicles
      2018 E-Golf
      04-07-2018 09:30 AM #9
      I got Neuspeed sport springs for my E-Golf. I also purchased an extra set of rear springs pads from Neuspeed to raise the rear a bit more so it sits perfectly straight. (actually 7mm higher with a second set of spring pads). Otherwise, I think the rear would be too low.

      Last edited by VinceQc; 04-07-2018 at 09:33 AM.

    12. Member awd18t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 1st, 2004
      Location
      Pothole city, Qc
      Posts
      810
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      04-10-2018 09:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VinceQc View Post
      I got Neuspeed sport springs for my E-Golf. I also purchased an extra set of rear springs pads from Neuspeed to raise the rear a bit more so it sits perfectly straight. (actually 7mm higher with a second set of spring pads). Otherwise, I think the rear would be too low.
      Problem is they use the same spring for the E-Golf, the GTI and the wagon.
      E-Golf is lighter in the front and heavier in the back.

      Not sure if they will ever have the enough demand to justify making a proper set.

      BTW, I've switched to 17" 225/45R17 and already seeing a good 10% of range lost.
      I don't even want to think about 19"

      Nice pic at VAG
      Last edited by awd18t; 04-10-2018 at 09:33 PM.
      ______________________________________

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2003
      Location
      Montreal, Canada
      Posts
      2,961
      Vehicles
      2018 E-Golf
      04-11-2018 01:00 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by awd18t View Post
      Problem is they use the same spring for the E-Golf, the GTI and the wagon.
      E-Golf is lighter in the front and heavier in the back.

      Not sure if they will ever have the enough demand to justify making a proper set.

      BTW, I've switched to 17" 225/45R17 and already seeing a good 10% of range lost.
      I don't even want to think about 19"

      Nice pic at VAG
      The ride is really not that bad, but not perfect either. I was driving an S3 yesterday and it was similar. Kinda harsh.

      I can't get more the 200km on a full charge now with the 19in and the week I got it with the stock 16" I was doing 250km. It's colder this week, but still.

    14. 10-09-2019 01:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VinceQc View Post
      I got Neuspeed sport springs for my E-Golf. I also purchased an extra set of rear springs pads from Neuspeed to raise the rear a bit more so it sits perfectly straight. (actually 7mm higher with a second set of spring pads). Otherwise, I think the rear would be too low.


      Nice wheels! Do you happen to know the model # or part # for it?

    15. Member WagenLoco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2006
      Location
      Queens, NY
      Posts
      300
      Vehicles
      Hers 12 Tiguan-Mine 14 Jetta Hybrid - Gone [80 Bug, 97 Golf, 98 Jetta, 02 Jetta, 05 GLI, 06 Rabbit]
      10-10-2019 07:13 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
      Nice wheels! Do you happen to know the model # or part # for it?
      Don’t know if those are replicas but here you go.

      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-alzor-pa...four/628-7kt2/
      "Light travels faster than sound, this is why people may appear bright until you hear them speak"

    16. 10-10-2019 07:29 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post
      Nice wheels! Do you happen to know the model # or part # for it?
      Audi Hollander, 58867. You can find replicas for less than $200. Not sure of the quality of them.

      How is the ride on the Neuspeed springs? That rate seems like it would be super stiff. But the setup looks awesome.

    17. 10-11-2019 07:03 AM #15
      And what about shocks? Are they of a different diameter? I'd love to run a setup Koni FSDs

    18. 10-13-2019 02:43 PM #16
      I didn't know that overlays are made for GTI Austin wheels. If I'm not mistaken, it's ~25 lbs for 18x8
      Available colors http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...heels_overlays

      Black looks nice!


    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •