VWVortex.com - The Bring A Trailer (BAT) watch thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 3046

    Thread: The Bring A Trailer (BAT) watch thread

    1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      16,448
      04-28-2017 10:07 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      That's about as good as a set of buffalo hides will look these days without re-dyeing.

      The car overall is one of the most desirable E24s but still scruffy enough to keep driving it. To me that is perfect.
      Easy car for a rolling restoration.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,701
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      04-28-2017 10:53 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      My wallet is vibrating.



      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-bmw-m635csi-4/

      M88 scares me. High mileage M88 scares me. Getting it smogged in CA scares me. Hold me.
      The M88 should scare you, as do the holes drilled into the body for those terrible import side markers.

      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      That's about as good as a set of buffalo hides will look these days without re-dyeing.

      The car overall is one of the most desirable E24s but still scruffy enough to keep driving it. To me that is perfect.
      And to be clear, those buffalo seats looked pretty much just like that from new.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      Whitefish, MT
      Posts
      10,979
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-28-2017 11:05 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      My wallet is vibrating.
      This car is pretty damn appealing if the price stays reasonable.

      What are you thinking is a reasonable max bid?

    5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      16,448
      04-28-2017 11:10 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      This car is pretty damn appealing if the price stays reasonable.

      What are you thinking is a reasonable max bid?
      I'm not a buyer on that car, but if I was, $13-14k. Engine scares me too much. They love to explode, and it's $12-15k to make them right again. Too much risk for a car that will seem slow as crap for me too. I'd rather get an M30 powered Euro 635CSi and have all of the looks and none of the mechanical worries.

      I almost bought this one before I got my E9.

      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-bmw-635csi-euro/



      I liked this one too, but I'd prefer an E28 based car.



      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-bmw-635csi/
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 04-28-2017 at 11:13 AM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

    6. Member fknlo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2004
      Location
      CO
      Posts
      2,337
      Vehicles
      05 S2000, 15 M3, 17 GTI Sport
      04-28-2017 11:14 AM #55
      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-honda-s2000-8/

      Watching that just because I always like to see what clean, low mileage s2000's go for. Not that I'd sell it, but that shouldn't be far off of what mine is worth. Mine has less miles though.

    7. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,701
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      04-28-2017 11:16 AM #56
      If that oil leak is from the front then your already in for a big chunk of cash doing the timing cover/chains/tensioners/guides/crank pulley seal. I think after all that was done on my M30 it was about 2K, its a nasty area to get to and the chains/guides are a little unreasonable cost wise. Also, BMW only sells one chain length and then you shim the oil pump to tension, those oil pump shims are NLA from BMW. The M88 should be a double chain setup if memory serves. That being said, on the M30 its a once every 200k job.

      And yes - I would avoid a E12 based car if at all possible.

    8. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      16,448
      04-28-2017 11:19 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      If that oil leak is from the front then your already in for a big chunk of cash doing the timing cover/chains/tensioners/guides/crank pulley seal. I think after all that was done on my M30 it was about 2K, its a nasty area to get to and the chains/guides are a little unreasonable cost wise. Also, BMW only sells one chain length and then you shim the oil pump to tension, those oil pump shims are NLA from BMW. The M88 should be a double chain setup if memory serves. That being said, on the M30 its a once every 200k job.
      My M30 was leaking from that area, and I said fook it, pass on fixing it. I was planning on pulling it anyway for a fuel injected swap, but man, that is a total pain in the ass.

      The M88 runs a single cam chain (scary!) unless it's been retrofitted. My M30 in my E9 was a double cam chain, which was nice. Not sure on the oil pump however.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

    9. Member 16volt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 26th, 2000
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      7,701
      Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      04-28-2017 11:31 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      My M30 was leaking from that area, and I said fook it, pass on fixing it.
      I cant abide oil leaks.

    10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      16,448
      04-28-2017 11:35 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      I cant abide oil leaks.
      Oh I know. You gave me isht for it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

    11. Member 01tj's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2005
      Location
      WV
      Posts
      5,715
      Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      04-28-2017 11:41 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by bora-brazil View Post

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2002
      Location
      Whitefish, MT
      Posts
      10,979
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      04-28-2017 11:53 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I'm not a buyer on that car, but if I was, $13-14k. Engine scares me too much. They love to explode, and it's $12-15k to make them right again. Too much risk for a car that will seem slow as crap for me too. I'd rather get an M30 powered Euro 635CSi and have all of the looks and none of the mechanical worries.

      You wouldn't be giving up much seat of the pants performance either I don't think.

      The older I get the more I appreciate the search for the right car. When I was younger the money burned a hole in my pocket and I bought the first thing I found.

      Searching for a nice Euro E24 would be good times.

    13. Member Yo Teach's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 24th, 2010
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      4,135
      Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT
      04-28-2017 11:55 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      I was lusting over this car. Amazing pictures for such a rare beast.

      1995 BMW M5 Touring Elekta - $120,500


      I want that.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

    14. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 28th, 2009
      Posts
      16,448
      04-28-2017 12:14 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      You wouldn't be giving up much seat of the pants performance either I don't think.

      The older I get the more I appreciate the search for the right car. When I was younger the money burned a hole in my pocket and I bought the first thing I found.

      Searching for a nice Euro E24 would be good times.
      It has over 90hp over a 635, but it's all high end. You're absolutely right, and unless you're hammering the piss out of it, I doubt you'd see a massive difference. Against my SS, both will feel slow as crap, so I might as well take the reliable and torquier feeling one.

      I'm on the casual Euro E24, E28 and GTV hunt. See the right thing, strike. Don't see the right thing? Wait. Took me a few years to find my E9, but I'll hopefully find something quicker than that.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I値l be there, front row.

    15. Member H.E. Pennypacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      2,818
      Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-28-2017 01:33 PM #64
      I hate that I have an urge to own a vintage boat and a vintage thing to tow said vintage boat. Don't think I'll ever have enough jnms to scratch that itch
      LS1 Volvo Thread

      Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

    16. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2001
      Location
      People's Republic of Marylandstan
      Posts
      6,707
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      04-28-2017 02:31 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      I hate that I have an urge to own a vintage boat and a vintage thing to tow said vintage boat. Don't think I'll ever have enough jnms to scratch that itch
      You saw the FJ40/Larson I posted on a previous page, right? Swoon.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

    17. Member H.E. Pennypacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      2,818
      Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-28-2017 03:12 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      You saw the FJ40/Larson I posted on a previous page, right? Swoon.
      Yes and was what I was referencing, though I had the old page loaded and figured no need to quote since right below. Incorrect!
      LS1 Volvo Thread

      Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

    18. Member H.E. Pennypacker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      2,818
      Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-28-2017 03:18 PM #67



      This combo was at canepa (adjacent to each other for a bit in fact) and it tickled all my fancies and then some
      LS1 Volvo Thread

      Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

    19. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2001
      Location
      People's Republic of Marylandstan
      Posts
      6,707
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      04-28-2017 03:28 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Yes and was what I was referencing, though I had the old page loaded and figured no need to quote since right below. Incorrect!
      I'll accept that.


      BTW, the one you posted of the Ford/Chris Craft... OMG.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2001
      Location
      Sao Paulo - Brazil
      Posts
      1,208
      05-02-2017 07:16 PM #69


      Canadian spec E34 540i 6 speed mt

      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/199...-market-m540i/

    21. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      47,779
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      05-02-2017 08:00 PM #70
      To call it a Canadian spec 540i is an understatement. It's an M5 with the 540i motor. I've loved those cars since they were new. That colour is great too.

    22. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Not in Europe. Boo.
      Posts
      21,861
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      05-02-2017 09:16 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I liked this one too, but I'd prefer an E28 based car.



      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-bmw-635csi/
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

    23. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      14,288
      05-03-2017 07:30 AM #72
      My coworker bought that green S4 Avant unintentionally. It'll be here tomorrow apparently.

    24. Member madrussian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 29th, 2003
      Location
      Akron, OH
      Posts
      7,506
      Vehicles
      LS & Bags...
      05-03-2017 08:58 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      My coworker bought that green S4 Avant unintentionally. It'll be here tomorrow apparently.
      how do you buy a car unintentionally? he not understand how bidding works, or when he clicked through the multiple confirmations he was high?

    25. Member TooFitToQuit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 5th, 2003
      Location
      ATL
      Posts
      14,288
      05-03-2017 09:01 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      how do you buy a car unintentionally? he not understand how bidding works, or when he clicked through the multiple confirmations he was high?
      Just goofing off and didn't expect to buy it.

    26. Member Bustov's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 1999
      Location
      Bartlett, IL
      Posts
      2,091
      Vehicles
      17' GTI , gone: 09 Honda Fit Sport, 03 MCS, 99 GTI VR6, 90 Civic Si, 91 SHO, 85 GTI, 79 RX7
      05-03-2017 02:10 PM #75
      Missed this one yesterday, definitely would have bid on it. E46 325i wagon with E46 M3 engine. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-325i-2/


    Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •