The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bring A Trailer (BAT) watch thread

1. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      05-08-2017 03:06 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post

Once again, stupidly jealous of all you jerks living in the rust-free Southwest.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      05-12-2017 08:31 AM #102
      1985 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe
      Current Bid: $15,750 Ends In: 6 days

Awfully clean for 239k miles!

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 BRG Miata 2008 Mercedes GL320 CDI 2002 Protege5
      05-12-2017 02:39 PM #103
      I've always loved these fold-up scooters.

1982 Honda NCZ 50 Motocompo Project/

I feel like it would almost fit in the Miata

Losing is just a winning streak in the wrong direction -David

1991 BRG SR20 Miata build log

Watch a headhunter find his own job - 9 month process

5. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      05-12-2017 05:54 PM #104

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/193...n-convertible/

No, it is not the supercharged Cord, but ferchrissakes, it's still a Cord!!

The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      05-16-2017 10:37 AM #105
      I'm keeping an eye on this one. I'm already surprised at the price since it is a standard cab and not an SR5.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/198...ta-4x4-pickup/

I'm seriously considering listing a car on BaT, has anyone here sold one? They have a form to fill out online but details of the process seems a little hazy. Do they write the ads based on the info you give them? When do they decide to accept the listing and make it active? Who decides the reserve price?

7. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-16-2017 12:53 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post

I'm seriously considering listing a car on BaT, has anyone here sold one? They have a form to fill out online but details of the process seems a little hazy. Do they write the ads based on the info you give them? When do they decide to accept the listing and make it active? Who decides the reserve price?
      You give them the info, they write the article. The more info you give, the better you are. Howard and you will negotiate the reserve. That's what stopped me from selling my E9 on BaT.

You must be active and honest in the comments section to have a good auction.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      05-16-2017 01:03 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You give them the info, they write the article. The more info you give, the better you are. Howard and you will negotiate the reserve. That's what stopped me from selling my E9 on BaT.

You must be active and honest in the comments section to have a good auction.

X2

I sold my 240Z there, it was a good experience.

They put together the ad from info you provide. The more detail you can give the better.
      You also provide the photos. Good photos make a difference. You also want to show any known trouble spots for the make/model you are selling.
      Buyers will know what they are. If you don't have photos they will assume the worst.

I had a couple videos as well. They buyer said that is what gave them the confidence to buy the car sight unseen.
      Cold start, hot start and a few minutes driving.

It is a great venue but fickle. If commenters/bidders are put off by something about the car or seller things to down hill in a hurry.
      Last edited by PoorHouse; 05-16-2017 at 01:06 PM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      05-16-2017 01:05 PM #108
      Howard and you will negotiate the reserve.
      I did not realize that. Obviously, as seller you'd rather set your own. Apparently he doesn't want the site to have tons of auctions that never come to a conclusion, even though BaT gets paid either way. But I might be like you, avoid it as a seller if I couldn't ensure I get to set a reasonable reserve.

Vehicles
      LS & Bags...
      05-16-2017 01:07 PM #109
      Howard and you will negotiate the reserve.
      Can you expand on this? I would think they would offer advice and push strongly for a number, but allow the ultimate say to fall into the seller's hands.

Sounds like that might not be the case the way you word it.

Am I wrong?

11. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-16-2017 01:21 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I did not realize that. Obviously, as seller you'd rather set your own. Apparently he doesn't want the site to have tons of auctions that never come to a conclusion, even though BaT gets paid either way. But I might be like you, avoid it as a seller if I couldn't ensure I get to set a reasonable reserve.
      I mean I get it. If I had a stupid reserve and then people saw that commonly nothing actually sold on the site, the wind would come out of the sites sails. Same is true for every auction house on earth though.

I thought it was rather odd, but hey, his house his rules. No hard feelings. Sold on eBay for higher than that reserve.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2017 02:35 PM #111

I thought it was rather odd, but hey, his house his rules. No hard feelings. Sold on eBay for higher than that reserve.
      Maybe, but I would have thought that would elicit a "negotiation", like "How about we set it at $19,500?". But they just shut down. The fact is that there are no E9's out there on the market, except for rusty project cars, at that $14K level. It's a silly reserve that does nothing at all for the seller and you might as well go "no reserve".

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-16-2017 02:47 PM #112
      Maybe, but I would have thought that would elicit a "negotiation", like "How about we set it at $19,500?". But they just shut down. The fact is that there are no E9's out there on the market, except for rusty project cars, at that $14K level. It's a silly reserve that does nothing at all for the seller and you might as well go "no reserve".
      At the same time, they let Morrie's list an FJ60 with something like a $40k reserve.

Another E9 listed also by a dealer fell under reserve at $25k recently. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-2800-cs/

Might be they'll let dealers maintain a higher reserve.
      call it potatography

14. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      05-16-2017 02:52 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by turbo_nine View Post
      At the same time, they let Morrie's list an FJ60 with something like a $40k reserve.

Another E9 listed also by a dealer fell under reserve at $25k recently. http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-bmw-2800-cs/

Might be they'll let dealers maintain a higher reserve.
      That thing had rust through the external panels up to a very recent time, and a massive hit to the drivers side rear quarter panel.

Magically the rust that went through the rear windshield frame and into the trunk was fixed in no time flat and the dealer had the same car listed for over $40k. That thing had a ton more body work than mine ever did, and even though the title was clean, the E9 community beat that car pretty damn hard for the amount of work it needed and what was completed in what seemed like an episode of Overhaulin. People on BaT aren't stupid, so a car like that wont meet reserve, but a car like mine with a light bit of body work and a story would have.

The only X factor is that mine was a salvage title due to a fender bender. E9's have welded in fenders, and mine had a headlight bucket that got pushed in 3'', so to cut out and reweld a fender in 1992 was quite a costly repair on a car that was worth $9k at the time.

I could neener neener I was right with my reserve since I got the money I wanted, but I thought it was a little odd that I had to negotiate that off the bat like that.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-16-2017 03:05 PM #114
      That thing had rust through the external panels up to a very recent time, and a massive hit to the drivers side rear quarter panel.

Magically the rust that went through the rear windshield frame and into the trunk was fixed in no time flat and the dealer had the same car listed for over $40k. That thing had a ton more body work than mine ever did, and even though the title was clean, the E9 community beat that car pretty damn hard for the amount of work it needed and what was completed in what seemed like an episode of Overhaulin. People on BaT aren't stupid, so a car like that wont meet reserve, but a car like mine with a light bit of body work and a story would have.
      The rust thing was what struck me about the differences between your car and the BaT proposed reserve. I'd also guess it's why a private party seller gets offered a lower reserve. A dealer has a bit more to lose being unable to offer on BaT again if they don't complete a sale in good faith, while an individual could see a price lower than they want but above reserve and just disappear. If I'm giving credit for strategy, it seems wise to offer private parties that "reality check" and set their expectations fairly low. Not all the auctions catch fire after all.
      call it potatography

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-16-2017 09:40 PM #115
      Only 20 hours left on the Datsun 510 track car. Keep my fingers away from the keyboard, because I am seeing a great basis for a BRE Tribute car!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-510-12/

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 01:19 AM #116
      Only 20 hours left on the Datsun 510 track car. Keep my fingers away from the keyboard, because I am seeing a great basis for a BRE Tribute car!
      Update: Sold for $31,000.

Vehicles
      05-18-2017 02:05 PM #117
      These are cool, I've seen them 1 in person but man is it tight up front for space.

Good example of a listing (see the comments) where there are very knowledgeable buyers asking questions and the seller NEEDS to be active in monitoring, and answering.

1984 Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel BJ45

19. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      05-18-2017 04:09 PM #118
      friend of mine had a really negative experience selling a car through their auction system.
      they kind of reneg'd on the deal after the auction was live and had bidders as i recall.

makes it seem like its kind of hit and miss

20. 05-18-2017 08:04 PM #119
      Def. watching this one..maybe the one of the last clean 1st Gen's around. I'd love to have it in my stable next to my 5th gen. I imagine though day to day driving would suck with so little power. These kinda cars definitely appeal to the kid in me remembering these new, but compared to modern cars I think the day to day drive would be a total letdown.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      05-18-2017 08:35 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post
      Def. watching this one..maybe the one of the last clean 1st Gen's around. I'd love to have it in my stable next to my 5th gen. I imagine though day to day driving would suck with so little power. These kinda cars definitely appeal to the kid in me remembering these new, but compared to modern cars I think the day to day drive would be a total letdown.

Here is a Turbo for a mere $29000.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/30231721

I pretty much daily my 1985 pickup. It is nowhere near powerful but it isn't too bad.

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      05-18-2017 08:44 PM #121
      http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...rtin-vanquish/

''Look at this nice Vanquish.. ''

''... oh hell no.''

Vehicles
      Another 944 why do I do this to myself? 911sc
      05-18-2017 09:26 PM #122
      (If you diy it won't be all that bad...)

I decided to calculate the actual cost of ownership in 3 years and 0 miles driven(maybe 2-3 miles pushed) the 951 cost me $3695.21(maintenance parts). If I was a betting men, I would bet that this is far from the total this 951 will cost me. (PawaK_2001)

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Good. Sometimes the only way to deal with knuckleheads is to have the lawyers duke it out.

24. 05-18-2017 10:08 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Here is a Turbo for a mere $29000.

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/30231721

I pretty much daily my 1985 pickup. It is nowhere near powerful but it isn't too bad.
      yeah I've been watching that one too..nuts! I just don't see the point for 29K. I think the Red one on BaT is much better looking and will sell for a lot more realistic price. The Pickup posted above was amazing. I would love to have that in the garage as well.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 10:15 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      ''... oh hell no.''
      You're looking at it the wrong way... in the words of the Robin Williams character in "The World According to Garp", after they watch a plane crash into a house for sale:

"We'll take the house! it's been pre-disastered... we're safe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSAeqdcZAM
      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 05-19-2017 at 02:05 AM.

Vehicles
      05-18-2017 11:00 PM #125
      I've had 2 different 22re powered 85 4runners and they were pretty peppy with the 5 speed manual. They are quite light and geared well as long as you don't plus size the tires.

That red-on-red one is gorgeous.

Page 5 of 149 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast