VWVortex.com - Sell my 335i, sell my Silverado and get a Challenger Scat Pack?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sell my 335i, sell my Silverado and get a Challenger Scat Pack?

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:20 PM #1
      UPDATE - IF YOU CANNOT SEE THE PHOTOS, PLEASE READ:

Add-ons for Chrome and Firefox have been developed that allow you to see Photobucket photos. I am using it for Chrome and it works great.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-embedded-fix/

Here is the situation, I have a 2008 335i purchased in September and a 2011 Silverado owned since new. My wife says I can get a newer car if I sell both. I am thinking about leasing a Challenger Scat Pack 6-speed (485 hp).

Quick background, I mostly work from home and when we go somewhere, we almost always take whatever lease my wife has. Right now it is 2016 Ram truck. That is why my Silverado is a 2011 purchased in Oct 2010 but only has 13,500 miles. I bought the 335i because my wife went back to work last summer and I have to cart around our two kids more often and the Silverado had become a garage queen of sorts. We use it mostly for towing our boat, rented camper trailers, bulk mulch/sand and such. All that can be done with the Ram.

The 335i has been used more frequently as I accepted a temporary 3-month consulting job which ends tomorrow. I was driving to an office every day and probably put more miles on the 335i in 3 months than I typically do in a year prior to my wife going back to work.

I love my Silverado a lot but it is only depreciating in value even though the mileage is low and it is sitting in the garage. However, we have a leased truck and my wife wants another truck after this one is due. It doesn’t make a lot of sense having two trucks.

The BMW is great fun to drive. Especially after dropping so much money into the drivability (shocks, struts and tires), performance upgrades (downpipes, JB4) and general maintenance (spark plugs, walnut blasting, trans fluid). I also had the clutch changed while a leaking rear main was replaced. The problem is it has nearly 105,000 miles and will need new turbos at some point. They rattle for the first <60 seconds during a cold start but will only get worse. Not to mention everything else that goes wrong with the N54. Most of the problem areas have been fixed already but they will happen again (HPFP, fuel injectors, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, water pump, etc). So, with the turbos alone, I can expect to spend to spend a few thousand bucks and who knows what else will go wrong with it.

I wanted something with performance, RWD, rear seats, manual transmission and no repair bills. Also, had to fit my budget of ~$450 per month (<$1 per HP). And here is what I can lease for that…

So, am I crazy for considering this?

**EDIT**

Here is she is:

Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 09-29-2017 at 01:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel / 2003 Jetta 2.sl0
      05-30-2017 10:30 PM #2
      Terrible idea.

Here is my brand new terrible idea. Few less options than yours. But lease is $350/mo. Didn't want or need ventilated suede seats on mine. I like the hyper black wheel a bit better than my standard though. If I were at that range of scat pack I would find one with the better brake package (I think it is part of the dynamic pack?) and ditch some of the comfort and appearance stuff.

Last edited by Power5; 05-30-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:32 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      Terrible idea.
      Ah, reverse psychology

How do you like yours? My last "muscle car" was a 2005 GTO 6-speed, I need to drive the Scat Pack stat to see how it compares....

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 10:36 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      Ah, reverse psychology

How do you like yours?
      Love almost everything about it. There is a uconnect bug with weather alerts. It has happened to me the day I got it and we had imminent thunder storms coming. The alert pops up every few seconds or at most every 5 minutes. From my searching the only solution is to select a different location that does not have severe weather, like San francisco.

If you have not seen the graphite in person, it is very sharp. I was set on black until I saw it in person.

The active exhaust is amazing at WOT. Ride is quite firm over rough pavement but the seats are amazing. The sounds it makes are worth every penny.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:39 PM #5
      Love almost everything about it. There is a uconnect bug with weather alerts. It has happened to me the day I got it and we had imminent thunder storms coming. The alert pops up every few seconds or at most every 5 minutes. From my searching the only solution is to select a different location that does not have severe weather, like San francisco.

If you have not seen the graphite in person, it is very sharp. I was set on black until I saw it in person.

The active exhaust is amazing at WOT. Ride is quite firm over rough pavement but the seats are amazing. The sounds it makes are worth every penny.
      Our 2014 300S had a few bugs with the Uconnect as well but the one in the 2016 Ram has been trouble-free. I really have to go check it out in person but I was trying to avoid going to the dealership because I would be way too tempted. My sales guy texted me those photos to make me want to come in even more...

The ride cannot be any more firm or harsh than the 335i w/sport package can it? Our 300s had a fantastic ride...

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 10:40 PM #6
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=8664609

I have a 2001 full bolt on camaro ss as my fun car. It pulls a bit harder than the boat. They would probably run the quarter pretty close.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:42 PM #7
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=8664609

I have a 2001 full bolt on camaro ss as my fun car. It pulls a bit harder than the boat. They would probably run the quarter pretty close.
      I really hate you for those exhaust videos

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 10:44 PM #8
      Our 2014 300S had a few bugs with the Uconnect as well but the one in the 2016 Ram has been trouble-free. I really have to go check it out in person but I was trying to avoid going to the dealership because I would be way too tempted. My sales guy texted me those photos to make me want to come in even more...

The ride cannot be any more firm or harsh than the 335i w/sport package can it? Our 300s had a fantastic ride...
      What city are you in? Nevermind, checked your profile. You are near where I got mine, Ann arbor.

Do not drive one or you will buy it. The ride is fine over everything except bad pavement. I mean stuff like where there were a million pot holes and they just drove by at 16 mph and dumped asphalt out the back of the truck as a "fix".
      Last edited by Power5; 05-30-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:49 PM #9
      What city are you in?

Do not drive one or you will buy it. The ride is fine over everything except bad pavement. I mean stuff like where there were a million pot holes and they just drove by at 16 mph and dumped asphalt out the back of the truck as a "fix".
      I live in Metro Detroit (northern suburb), I know all about pot holes and the "fixes". Surprised I haven't cracked my teeth while cringing over some of them but have cracked one wheel, bent another and popped a tire (three different cars). Speaking of which, might want to spring for the wheel/tire protection plan

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 10:53 PM #10
      I live in Metro Detroit (northern suburb), I know all about pot holes and the "fixes". Surprised I haven't cracked my teeth while cringing over some of them but have cracked one wheel, bent another and popped a tire (three different cars). Speaking of which, might want to spring for the wheel/tire protection plan
      Don't go for their first offer. I never buy those dealer markups but almost got the wheel one. But you have to replace tires with exact same crappy tire that comes on it. Sorry, but as soon as I wear these rsa down I am getting decent tires. But at first he wanted 25/mo just for the tire plan. I said no
      He came back 7/mo cheaper. Still said no, but there is wiggle room in that markup crap. Basically you could drive over anything you want and get free wheels and tires each time. As long as you like the factory tires.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 10:54 PM #11
      Don't go for their first offer. I never buy those dealer markups but almost got the wheel one. But you have to replace tires with exact same crappy tire that comes on it. Sorry, but as soon as I wear these rsa down I am getting decent tires. But at first he wanted 25/mo just for the tire plan. I said no He came back 7/mo cheaper. Still said no, but there is wiggle room in that markup crap. Basically you could drive over anything you want and get free wheels and tires each time. As long as you like the factory tires.
      Good advice

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 10:57 PM #12
      In fact. Get the coverage. Then lightly curb rash the wheels. Then get new ones and ask one of the shop guys to sell you the damaged ones. Then sell them to me... I will have them repaired and refinished.

Vehicles
      2008 BMW 335i, 2010 Rav4 V6 Ltd.
      05-30-2017 11:01 PM #13
      Sell the Silverado. Buy an Impala SS if you luster for American muscle.

Keep the 335i, strip it down, turn it into a track car and add more power.
      Quote Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
      Please consider your audience before saying something sensible. 80% of TCL drivers were actually banned from Formula 1 for being too fast.
      A turbocharger is a device in where exhaust gases go in, witchcraft happens, and then you go faster.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:01 PM #14
      In fact. Get the coverage. Then lightly curb rash the wheels. Then get new ones and ask one of the shop guys to sell you the damaged ones. Then sell them to me... I will have them repaired and refinished.

WhenI told her about the car a few minutes ago, my wife basically gave me the "do what you want" reply while rolling her eyes with arms crossed. I reminded her that it was her idea for me to sell both vehicles for a "nicer" one but I think she wanted me to get something like a base Challenger R/T 5.7 or something...

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:03 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
      Sell the Silverado. Buy an Impala SS if you luster for American muscle.

Keep the 335i, strip it down, turn it into a track car and add more power.
      Although, I would like that idea it realistically would not happen. I have too much stuff going on to have have a car like that.

I love driving the 335i but I think I would miss the Silverado the most.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      05-30-2017 11:05 PM #16
      no point continuing to flush money down the toilet on a revolving door of truck leases for your wife when you have a paid off 13k mile truck in the garage.

1) dump bmw asap
      2) dump ram
      3) give your truck to wife
      4) buy scat pack

bmw time bomb is gone, and you go down to one payment instead of two. best of everything.

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 11:09 PM #17

WhenI told her about the car a few minutes ago, my wife basically gave me the "do what you want" reply while rolling her eyes with arms crossed. I reminded her that it was her idea for me to sell both vehicles for a "nicer" one but I think she wanted me to get something like a base Challenger R/T 5.7 or something...
      I was looking at base rt first. It is not even the same kind of car. It felt like a cheap rental compared to the scat. Sound alone but then the extra power and suspension and brakes... of course you could get a super track pack rt. Gets you everything the scat has but with summer tires. Scat is standard with track pack and keeps all seasons. But track pack rt still gets wimpy 5.7. Also the rt only has 61% residual and scat gets a 66% residual. So my scat came out cheaper than an rt. Different dealerships though so not a direct comparison.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:13 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      no point continuing to flush money down the toilet on a revolving door of truck leases for your wife when you have a paid off 13k mile truck in the garage.

1) dump bmw asap
      2) dump ram
      3) give your truck to wife
      4) buy scat pack

bmw time bomb is gone, and you go down to one payment instead of two. best of everything.
      Our lease payment on the Ram is ~$280. My wife driving the Silverado will likely depreciate that more per month and I would have to cover repairs. I would also be stressed out about damage to the Silverado, it has become my "baby". She likes driving new cars/trucks - since she works and lets me basically get what I want, I cannot argue too much.

In a vacuum where we are trying to save the most money, your method might be more logical. But going down from two trucks and a high maintenance car to two leases (car+truck) is an improvement.
      Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 05-30-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:14 PM #19
      I was looking at base rt first. It is not even the same kind of car. It felt like a cheap rental compared to the scat. Sound alone but then the extra power and suspension and brakes... of course you could get a super track pack rt. Gets you everything the scat has but with summer tires. Scat is standard with track pack and keeps all seasons. But track pack rt still gets wimpy 5.7. Also the rt only has 61% residual and scat gets a 66% residual. So my scat came out cheaper than an rt. Different dealerships though so not a direct comparison.
      I agree, the R/T isn't even on my list. I'd more likely get a V8 300S w/automatic than go that route.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      F
      05-30-2017 11:17 PM #20
      Our lease payment on the Ram is ~$280. My wife driving the Silverado will likely depreciate that more per month and I would have to cover repairs. I would also be stressed out about damage to the Silverado, it has become my "baby". She likes driving new cars/trucks - since she works and lets me basically get what I want, I cannot argue too much.

In a vacuum where we are trying to save the most money, your method might be more logical. But going down from two trucks and a high maintenance car to two leases (car+truck) is an improvement.
      i dont know, a 7 year old silverado with no miles likely isnt depreciating $300 a month at this point, and there wont be any repairs anytime soon. that truck is worth a nice chunk of change and value likely holding pretty steady considering what a 100k mile one still goes for.

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 11:18 PM #21
      Challenger is so much better looking. Does seriously lack cockpit storage areas. No place to even stick my phone.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:19 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      i dont know, a 7 year old silverado with no miles likely isnt depreciating $300 a month at this point, and there wont be any repairs anytime soon. that truck is worth a nice chunk of change and value likely holding pretty steady considering what a 100k mile one still goes for.
      Or, I can cash out now for a sizable amount and use that money towards other things

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:19 PM #23
      Challenger is so much better looking. Does seriously lack cockpit storage areas. No place to even stick my phone.
      That's what the cupholder is for, duh

Vehicles
      05-30-2017 11:26 PM #24
      That's what the cupholder is for, duh
      Then where does my big gulp go? Phone will not fit in single cup holder.

So far it is my only gripe. Storage. My carry does not fit in the door either. The dumb door pocket is split because of where they put the door handle. So now my carry has to go in the center console or glove box.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-30-2017 11:28 PM #25
      Then where does my big gulp go? Phone will not fit in single cup holder.

So far it is my only gripe. Storage. My carry does not fit in the door either. The dumb door pocket is split because of where they put the door handle. So now my carry has to go in the center console or glove box.
      This should be under the definition of first world problems

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast