Had some decent initial outings with the Golf at Gateway and Blackhawk.
Didn't break, didn't crash, and made the car faster each time, but was constantly fighting a soft top end power problem - like would not even rev above 6 and fell on its face at 5400.
I decided to build up a solid lifter head with a better cam for my class (in place of the good stock head and cam). When I took it apart I realized the cam had been advanced 2 teeth. No wonder it would not run right. No amount of logging an tuning was going to fix that.
Still put the new head on with back cut manley valves, HD springs, shim under bucket lifters, good cam and good valve job. Cut to give 11.5:1 compression with a cometic .045" gasket.
Dyno tune went well, and the next race - June Sprints at Road America went better.
Ran faster than I ever did in IT: 2:49.x Friday, 2:48.0 Saturday after a tune update, 2:45.3 on Sunday with some setup changes and fresher tires and driving better.... until I didn't.
Lost the car in the kink trying to get a good run on the class leader to attempt a pass at Canada corner on the 2nd to last lap...
This corner is flat in 5th if EVERYTHING is perfect. I ran it flat a few times, and would 4 wheel drift about 2/3 through and then grip smoothly on exit. Exit speeds were typically in the low 100s mph. This time with a big draft off the leader it started to come around in that last 1/3 of the corner, and my hands were not fast enough to keep it of the wall driver right. BIG hit, but I'm OK.
Hope to get to a frame shop this weekend and start finishing the molds for the composite fenders.
The car is finally competitive. Looking forward to the next race.