VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Front license plates

48K views 76 replies 34 participants last post by  phil123 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I bought my new Atlas SE with technology FWD 3 weeks ago in CA. License plates arrived last week.

There are no front license plates brackets in the car. Also, the manual says that I should keep the area below the VW symbol clear (including a portion of the front bumper where you'd instinctively put the front license plates), because of all the sensors in the car (front assist).

I'd like to know what you guys are doing to affix the license plates to your Atlases. Specifically:
1. where are you putting it?
2. are you drilling into the bumper? Did anyone find a no-drill option?
3. If you have an SE with technology or above, did you have any issue with the front assist sensors?
4. Any general recommendations for someone who's never installed license plates by themselves? (I know - lame, but I came from a state where you'd drive out of the dealer's lot with the license plates already installed for you ;))

Thanks!

See less See more
#53 ·
My 2 Cents

Good Day,

I would contact the Dealership that you purchased the VW from and ask them to please mail you an Atlas Front License Plate Holder. If you purchased an R-Line, it is a different Front License Plate Holder as well. Regardless of what the State Law for Front License Plates, the New Vehicle should have contained the frame in the trunk/cargo area, along with mats and trunk blocks, and they can easily take one from another vehicle or have parts order one and null out the cost.

Thanks,

#57 ·
I HATE how mine came preinstalled. I tried to take it off and then I discovered the HORROR and then just left it on. No way to cover the holes. :'''( I may vinyl wrap the holder to look better and then actually put the plate on. :(

#66 ·
Front License Plate Bracket

I have a 2020 atlas I'm looking for a tow hook license plate kit does anyone know what company bracket works with the Atlas
I'm not liking the drilled mount front bracket either. I've done a lot of research, here's what I've come up with:

There are plenty (well a few) front towing eye license plate brackets on the market. But none for a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport. There is one company that made one for the 2019 Atlas, but it's "no longer available".

I guess the Cross Sport is too new- I want some other items from Weather Tech, but they don't make them yet.

Using the part # for the CS towing eye, I discovered that it's the same as the 2016 Touareg.

US Millworks makes a towing eye bracket for a 2016 Touareg. http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html

Kind of pricey, but I ordered one.

If they really do have it, and if it really does or doesn't work. I'll let you know.

#68 ·
Honestly, just run without a front plate. We drove our Atlas for a year and a half in Northern Virginia without a front plate and never had a single issue. If you ever street park, just put the front plate on the dash.

BTW, pretty happy I (and the dealer we bought from) never installed a front plate, as we now live in Michigan, which is a no-front-plate-state.

#69 · (Edited)
That's what I've been doing all this time and I haven't had an issue but I'd still rather be compliant. One less thing to worry about. I'm pretty sure that ticket is like $100 now.

The sel premium doesn't have any kind of tow hook in the front does it?

I'm halfway wondering if I could design and print a sticker, but at that point I should probably just drill. Does the factory plate bracket have any hardware behind the front bumper?

#70 · (Edited)
No tow hook in our an SEL Premium. None of my cars, tbh, have front license plates. NJ requires them. Haven't had any issues to date in getting pulled over because of it. And we also have a town cop living 2 doors down from us. I think it would really just be an issue of they pull you over for other reason, say speeding, most likely they will hit you up with the " no tags" for the front which has happened in my R32. But only once in the 12 yrs I have owned it. And he ended up not giving me a speeding ticket and just write me the no tags which I'm perfectly fine with [emoji16].Or also, if you end up going through a town where they are not "as busy"

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

#74 ·
Update. This just becomes more and more mysterious!

Finally found a towing eye made for the 2020 Atlas Cross Sport. Genuine VW part. From a dealer.

But it doesn't fit MY CS!

Maybe I've got a counterfeit VW! :)

The correct part number is too big a diameter! WTF?

I measured the bolt and it's the correct size. I can't measure the hole because it's too far behind the bodywork to get in there.

I'm mulling my next move...:banghead:

#75 ·
This is getting really murky

Now another mystery...

There is NO receptacle for a towing eye in the 2020 Cross Sport.

There's a hole, but no threads.

Probably why there was no towing eye in the trunk. And this comes from VW corporate. American-made CS have no towing eye because... well, so far nobody can tell me. Even the part that's in the VWparts database won't even go through the hole that has no threads.

Everyone I've talked to doesn't understand the deletion.

Does anyone out there understand it?

:banghead:

#77 ·
mhjett said there wasnt any, maybe thats why?

I'm not sure, we have a tiguan amongst the rest of the vdubs. My egolf was $14k off sticker, so I just took it with the front plate. The tiguan does not have a front plate on it. Also California :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.