VWVortex.com - DEALER maintenance PRICE AND INTERVAL?? and other questions on 2015 Jetta 2.0L Auto (2.Slow)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: DEALER maintenance PRICE AND INTERVAL?? and other questions on 2015 Jetta 2.0L Auto (2.Slow)

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Jetta Trendline+ 2.0L 8V Auto
      06-29-2017 03:02 AM #1
      Hi everyone,
      This is Lin from Surrey BC, new to this forum, glad to be here!
      I bought a CPO 2015 Jetta from for my wife last year, 32000km& just serviced at the time. The car is about 44500km at this moment, thinking it's a good time to do the oil change at 45000 mark, got a few question~.

1. Okay, the first question is the price. This is our first VW, so how much is the Oil change at the dealer? there might be slightly different prices between dealers, just trying to get a general idea, I'm seeing some dealers from Toronto advertising $79.99 - $99.99.
      2. For OCI, I'm planing on 15000km interval between the oil changes, like suggested on the manual. I've been reading about 20 posts regarding VW OCI over forums, I'm hearing a lot of 8000kms, some 12000kms, not so many 15000kms. I'm somewhat comfortable with the 15000km interval, since the typical daily usage is 40km-one way/80km-roundtrip and 95%Hwy with no traffic, cruise controlled at 98-100km/h and never over, the summer is about 15-25 Celsius and winter -5 celsius. I'll share some more info with you guy at the bottom. There are folks that says 15000km is a Europe thing, b/c they tax the **** out of waste and disposal on used motor oil. what intervals are you guys on?
      3. I'd consider the car fairly new, nothing much needs to be replaced or flushed. The Cabin air filter is like the easiest DIY job, I use the new Bosch Hepa Filter, $23CAD From Amazon compare to get it changed at the Dealer for $58CAD+Tax. Same with the windshield wiper. remind me if i missed anything.

Fuel Economy: The car has been quite smooth over the 6 months, started with a 9.0L/100km, and now comes steady between 7.2-7.6L/100km. We use Fuelly App to track.

Performance: Holy cow, we finally understand why they call this a 2. SLOW. it's SLOW~. it's a great commuter car, but it's nothing like the 2011 BMW 328 Xdrive we used to have(we missed that car so much), or the 2014 F150 5.0L Supercrew I'm driving (this is our road trip truck, just tons of power, towing a 6000lbs boat like nothing)

This is about it, I'll add more to it when it comes up.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta 1.8T, Mk5 Jetta TDI, Current vehicles: Mk4 GTI, Mk6 Jetta 2.Slow
      07-06-2017 05:49 AM #2
      My 2012 2.Slow is at 130,000 km - the only reason I did the oil change at the dealer was for warranty purposes, and I did it as recommended, every 15,000km. I had it serviced in Mississauga for the most part, Barrie, and once in Fredericton, the price was the same $100 + tax and considering the convenience, parts and labour it was fairly reasonable. They always did a great job plus threw in a free wash and occasional wax. Never had any issues, the only thing outside of regular maintenance I've had to replace was the tie rod links but I like to drive hard so no surprise really. In your case, no worries on the 15,000 km interval - people in Europe drive their cars a lot harder and should really do it more often (speed limit 130+ on the hwy - everyone drives 160). They do use better fuel, so you win some you lose some.

Since I've moved west (did the first oil change in Ontario before the road trip) I started doing oil changes myself at the 90,000 km mark, despite my warranty being good until 120,000 km. Do I save money? Yes. I probably spend half of what I would at the dealer. Do I check everything they did? Not every time. Making a schedule is key though. It'll obviously be cheap if you do the light things yourself and buy oil in bulk or when it goes on sale (pretty lucky for catching it on sale when I need it).

Fuel Economy: 7 - 8L/100km it's almost impossible to do more (I've tried) hit 9L/100km once with mine (it's manual)
      Performance: 1st and 2nd gear are nice and - but I didn't buy it for speed. It's definitely a smooth and comfortable ride.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Jetta Trendline+ 2.0L 8V Auto
      07-07-2017 07:31 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawkv View Post
      Since I've moved west (did the first oil change in Ontario before the road trip) I started doing oil changes myself at the 90,000 km mark, despite my warranty being good until 120,000 km. Do I save money? Yes. I probably spend half of what I would at the dealer. Do I check everything they did? Not every time. Making a schedule is key though. It'll obviously be cheap if you do the light things yourself and buy oil in bulk or when it goes on sale (pretty lucky for catching it on sale when I need it).
      Thank you Tomahawkv,
      My concern is the warranty as well, i purchased extended warranty, extra 2yr/40,000km for $900, so the car is good for another 3.5year/75000km.
      I use to live in Mississauga as well right across the city [email protected] SQ1, had the E90 328i Xd LCI back then. The maintenance for 4year/80000km on Bimmer is free and the interval is 24000km. I always had an extra oil change in between at the dealer, so when the transmission broke down and need a replace under warranty, the process was smooth they didn't even ask ANYTHING, although the replaced transmission broke down after 3 more month. Then they offered me with options at my choice, dealer/manufacture buy it back at purchase price, replacement car of the same value, or get the transmission replaced again. LOL, I think they just found that car will need a numerous transmissions replaced before the warranty ends. So I took the money and left, figure that's a better option for me.

Back to the topic on 2.SLOW. At 130,000 Km, have you had any hiccups here and there? I watched youtubers saying this engine EAT spark plugs, the spark plug wire is also a common break down, very fuel sensitive. and I'm going to pose some pictures of inside the oil filler neck, and the oil color from the dipstick. Maybe you could let me know if that looks normal to you at the end of 15,000km interval. I'm still trying to learn how this engine behaves.

Thank you again, Tomahawky.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta 1.8T, Mk5 Jetta TDI, Current vehicles: Mk4 GTI, Mk6 Jetta 2.Slow
      07-10-2017 01:10 PM #4
      No issues - as mentioned standard maintenance was done as per VWs schedule. I did have to trickle charge the battery (original) this winter but it was sitting for a while since I was away for the winter and not around to drive it. She starts like new though, and I haven't noticed any performance issues, standard 2.Slow attributes. The only thing I can see changing in the future is the battery and spark plugs but that will come at 160,000 km unless it starts acting up. There one sensor where the connectivity is a little off (Cam Shaft Position) but the light hasn't returned since I've checked it. If it comes back I'll replace it - $40 part, or I'll do it with the timing belt and water pump at 160,000 or 180,000 km.

7. 06-05-2019 03:55 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by berlinbai View Post
      Thank you Tomahawkv,
      My concern is the warranty as well, i purchased extended warranty Audacity Find My iPhone Origin , extra 2yr/40,000km for $900, so the car is good for another 3.5year/75000km.
      I use to live in Mississauga as well right across the city [email protected] SQ1, had the E90 328i Xd LCI back then. The maintenance for 4year/80000km on Bimmer is free and the interval is 24000km. I always had an extra oil change in between at the dealer, so when the transmission broke down and need a replace under warranty, the process was smooth they didn't even ask ANYTHING, although the replaced transmission broke down after 3 more month. Then they offered me with options at my choice, dealer/manufacture buy it back at purchase price, replacement car of the same value, or get the transmission replaced again. LOL, I think they just found that car will need a numerous transmissions replaced before the warranty ends. So I took the money and left, figure that's a better option for me.

Back to the topic on 2.SLOW. At 130,000 Km, have you had any hiccups here and there? I watched youtubers saying this engine EAT spark plugs, the spark plug wire is also a common break down, very fuel sensitive. and I'm going to pose some pictures of inside the oil filler neck, and the oil color from the dipstick. Maybe you could let me know if that looks normal to you at the end of 15,000km interval. I'm still trying to learn how this engine behaves.

Thank you again, Tomahawky.
      My 2012 2.Slow is at 130,000 km - the only reason I did the oil change at the dealer was for warranty purposes, and I did it as recommended, every 15,000km. I had it serviced in Mississauga for the most part, Barrie, and once in Fredericton, the price was the same $100 + tax and considering the convenience, parts and labour it was fairly reasonable. They always did a great job plus threw in a free wash and occasional wax. Never had any issues, the only thing outside of regular maintenance I've had to replace was the tie rod links but I like to drive hard so no surprise really. In your case, no worries on the 15,000 km interval - people in Europe drive their cars a lot harder and should really do it more often (speed limit 130+ on the hwy - everyone drives 160). They do use better fuel, so you win some you lose some.
      Last edited by SAILITY; 06-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.