Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '16 GTI PP Road Noise Questions

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      07-02-2017 08:25 AM #1
      Hi all,

'16 GTI PP manual at about 16,000 on the clock. It seems as though the road noise has increased substantially in the last few weeks and i'm trying to pinpoint the cause. I don't believe it to be wheel bearings or the tires (factory, recently rotated), but oddly enough my gut is telling me that it may have something to do with the front diff and/or the transmission acting noisy. Things seem to quiet down a bit if I take it out of gear while moving.

Looking for any feedback on how best to isolate/pinpoint the source of the road noise and if anyone has heard anything/had any experience with issues related to the MT or front diff that I might want to pay attention to.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI PP
      07-02-2017 11:59 AM #2
      My experience with road noise, is that in general, most seem related to tires. My Mk7 has been good, by recently thought the same as you. I have been using Conti DWs and the rears were worn to the wear bars. Last week I replaced with the new version of these Conti tires. Road noise went away...mostly. All summer only performance tires are a bit noisy.

For years, Hondas have been known for making lots of road noise. I have had several. All wear nosy. As in the VW, most noise seems to come from the rear. Worse with the rear seats folded with both cars.

All tires get noiser with wear. Tire Rack rates all their tires for noise as does Consumer Reports. Check out their sites for info.i think road noise is a bigger issue now, because the auto industry has done a much better job with other sources; engine, wind, etc. No doubt that my age has made me less tolerant for any noise source.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 GTI SE DIB DSG LP PP
      07-02-2017 12:54 PM #3
      Agree. Probably tires, possibly a bearing.
      2018 GTI SE DIB DSG LP PP | Llumar Pro PPF hood, bumper, fender and mirrors | Invisible Shield headlight, rear bumper guard and door cups | CTX 35% tint on 9 windows | OEM splash guards | Maxpider mats | Weather Tech deflectors |3M door edge, wheels well and hatch lip guards | OEM door sill protection | Aully Park leather steering wheel cover | AWE Tuning Track Edition CB |

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      ‘16 GTI
      07-02-2017 03:51 PM #4
      Bearings are easy to troubleshoot.

When on the highway make right and left transfers of weight and see if the pitch or volume changes.

If it's steady it's probably the tires.

If you have Continental ProContacts it's definitely the tires, after 15k-20k they always come unbearably loud. It's really a horrible tire.

7. 07-02-2017 05:59 PM #5
      Some good advice already I think.

To get more info about your drivetrain, try listening carefully under different loads. When driving on a straight, flat road, vary your throttle opening from just enough to maintain speed, to a little more to put a load on the transmission and diff. Try not to get fooled by the engine & wind noise changing, and don't floor it, you're just trying to load things up. Also do the opposite--this is easiest on a slight decline. Drive at a steady speed, then let off the gas such that there are enough revs to compression brake a little. Listen and see if the sound gets louder or softer.

Vehicles
      Now: 2016 GTI PP Autobahn; Then: 2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      07-03-2017 08:24 AM #6
      Great advice, thanks everyone.

Part of the issue as well is that we just picked up a '17 Grand Cherokee Overland with acoustic glass and that thing is unbelievably silent at 75mph on the highway, even when rolling on concrete surfaces.

I spent two weeks driving that while my wife was out of town and I suspect that being coddled in that silent box combined with the recent tire rotation is skewing my perspective a bit.

Nothing could be worse than the Pirellis that came stock with my '06 A3. By 15,000 the roar was deafening. Couldn't wait to swap those puppies.

I believe I currently have Bridgestones that came from the factory, I'll double check.

9. 07-03-2017 09:46 AM #7
      I have you considered the type of roads you have been driving on? Certain road surfaces are going to generate more noise than others. Also as the tires wire there is going to be more noise. Some tires are just going to make more noise than others. The final one is that VW is not going to use allot of sound deadening as it is going to add to the weight of the car. More weight = less MPG's.

10. 06-25-2019 01:03 PM #8
      I've been searching the forum on how to deal with the increasing road noise in my '16 Autobahn (DSG), 24K, maybe 6000 of that on winter tires the remainder on the stock Hanooks. I disconnected the SoundAktor long ago. On some highways it's really nasty - worse with a passenger.

I don't think that I've got any suspension problems, but I'll look into that. Beyond switching out to new tires (Michelins?) are there any typical sound deadening techniques that folks apply? I've read about some putting mats in their trunk wheel

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 2dr Night Blue GTI S DSG PP LP. Unitronic Stg 1 ECU & TCU Tune.
      06-28-2019 06:14 PM #9
      Some good stuff below. Go test drive a BRZ and that should fix it!

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40312

Low profile tires= more noise.
      But the one thing you can control is tire wear. For example, If you wait too long to rotate your tires, and you have any kind of alignment issues then the tires will be cupped, and when you finally do rotate them you will hear substantially more road noise on the axle where the misshapen tires now sit.

Keep them properly inflated too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by sfseals; 06-28-2019 at 06:21 PM.

12. 06-28-2019 08:09 PM #10
      As others have mentioned, it is most likely tires.

I have had the same thing happen. I put 20K on a set of tires and noticed over the course of about ten days that they became really loud and were no longer "grippy" and began squealing when taking off and driving over painted lines. I rotated the tires and the issue immediately went away. Unfortunately, it returned as the rotated tires wore down in the next 1500 miles.

Later, I learned tire manufactures use soft compounds on the outside of the tire tread and use tougher/harder/ long-lasting compounds as the tire wears down to make their mileage guarantee. For example, the first 35-40% of the tread is soft and grippy, the last 60% is designed to last....(Michelin seems to be the worst, based on personal experience--especially on truck/SUV tires)
      Last edited by jeff8407; 06-28-2019 at 08:12 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat Wagon 3.6, 16 GTI
      07-01-2019 06:20 AM #11
      I have been having a road noise problem for sometime now. Like others have stated i tried tires/alignments and nothing has helped. I remember the day it happend, i was on a drive for about 2 hours and the noise suddenly came out of no where and has been annoying me since. I put my VMR wheels on with new P Zeros and same noise. Mine starts around 45 mph, sound doesnot change over different road surfaces and happens in our out of gear. Had dealer check for bearings but they tell me no. They said they ran the car on the lift and heard nothing. If it's a rear bearing i dont know how they ran the wheels but whats also weird is the noise has not gotten worse, it's the same pich since it happend over 6K ago.

stumped

Jamie
      formally
      cool_gti_guy91

Thank you vortex for making me a newb again