VWVortex.com - Tow hitch wiring harness???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Tow hitch wiring harness???

1. 05-21-2018 01:26 PM #151
      For #2:

It looks like it should fit, and it fits on the Toureg so the holes should line up.

#1 might work, but you would need an adapter for the factory plate.

This combo would also work:

Socket

Adapter

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2015 Audi S3, 2018 VW Atlas SEL Premium
      05-21-2018 01:29 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
      For #2:

It looks like it should fit, and it fits on the Toureg so the holes should line up.

#1 might work, but you would need an adapter for the factory plate.

This combo would also work:

Socket

Adapter
      thank you for the reply
      I will be the guinea pig.
      ordered!
      will advice

cheers!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL Premium; 1997 Acura NSX; 2009 Toyota Camry; 2013 Jayco 29KS RV
      05-21-2018 09:01 PM #153
      Just trying to save you some time and money, as mentioned in post #88 this adapter will not work. Holes do not line up and the body is too large for the opening on the plate welded to the hitch.

Vehicles
      05-23-2018 09:38 PM #154
      I REALLY wanted a dual plug option for 7 blade and 4 flat b/c I tow different things. I didn't want to go with an adaptor, call me stubborn.

Endurance Hopkins 40950 Multi-Tow 7 Blade and 4 Flat Vehicle Wiring Kit
      https://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Hop...=hopkins+40950

This item has been said to NOT FIT, and that is accurate. Unless you have a utility knife and a file, and about 10 minutes of time.

40950 hopkins by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

Remove the square plate, from the Atlas, unplug the harness, and then when go to put this into the hole, the diameter it too large.
      you can use a utility knife and file to bring it down to size (the hopkins part, that is).

tools used:

IMG_6860 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

go ahead and carve off some of the plastic in a consistent fashion, all the way around the part, so that it's still somewhat circular.
      then use the file to clean it up a bit.
      this is before I filed it.....

the ugly:

IMG_6861 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr\

there is probably a better way to skin this cat, like with a tool smarter than a utility knife! suggestions welcome, to help the future hackers!
      I couldn't think of anything, so I went with the caveman approach.
      but when you push it in, you can't see any of that ugliness:

IMG_6863 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

in fact, it looks gooooood:

IMG_6864 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

I got tired and quit once I got it 98% flush. I will revisit next weekend, when I have more time.
      but unless you're sitting down on the ground, it looks clean/oem-like.
      as you can see, I can grind a bit more off, so that it goes to 100% flush, but honestly, it's not a big deal. you can't really tell.

Untitled by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

the holes do not line up. it's somewhat close. if you go to look directly into the hole, to see if it lines up with the hole behind it.... there is a sliver of light... so I used two black drywall-type screws (with bite) and drilled them in, and they grab on perfectly.
      I put them in opposite corners. I yanked on it and doesn't budge at all.

IMG_6888 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

IMG_6890 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

IMG_6892 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

I'm very late to the game here.
      So, I hope this helps at least one of my Atlas brethren.
      Happy towing.

IMG_6891 by Ryan Mac, on Flickr

then I got a Dremel. my first!
      and it looks a little smoother now, and more importantly, it sits completely flush and OEM like
      done deal

After Dremel by Ryan Mac, on Flickr
      Last edited by RyanA3; 05-30-2018 at 10:11 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      05-24-2018 08:50 AM #155
      You can use a dremel with the sanding drum if you want.

Drywall screws will eventually rust, so you'll have to keep an eye out on them.

You'll probably have to get a grade 8 bolt and nylok nut eventually
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Osram CBI D3S/Neuspeed P-flo

Vehicles
      05-24-2018 03:21 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      You can use a dremel with the sanding drum if you want.

Drywall screws will eventually rust, so you'll have to keep an eye out on them.

You'll probably have to get a grade 8 bolt and nylok nut eventually
      that's a good point. I don't think of things like that. thank you for taking the time!
      I'll look for a thin nut/bolt set and report back with the size/#, in case anyone else is interested.
      cheers!

Vehicles
      MKIV Supercharged R32, MKI Atlas SEL 4Motion
      05-25-2018 02:08 PM #157
      Nice work. I also was going to go that route but read it didnt quite fit properly so ended up going with these instead

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      You just gotta keep livin' man........L-I-V-I-N

9. 05-30-2018 09:33 PM #158
      First off, big thanks to everyone here! Bought an Atlas 2 months ago, went to pull my boat and was shocked to see I didn't have any way to connect the wiring. Dealer told me it was going to cost $200 to install the hitch harness and "recode" the wiring. I ordered the Pollack 11-839 and a Hopkins 7-4 adapter. Less than $20 and will take me 5 minutes to install.

I'm considering getting a Tekonsha P3 for the few times I pull a heavier (electronic braked) trailer. Where did you mount your brake controller to keep it looking "factory"?

Pictures appreciated.

Again, thanks for saving me a couple hundred dollars.

Vehicles
      05-30-2018 11:17 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by david.dunst View Post
      First off, big thanks to everyone here! Bought an Atlas 2 months ago, went to pull my boat and was shocked to see I didn't have any way to connect the wiring. Dealer told me it was going to cost $200 to install the hitch harness and "recode" the wiring. I ordered the Pollack 11-839 and a Hopkins 7-4 adapter. Less than $20 and will take me 5 minutes to install.

I'm considering getting a Tekonsha P3 for the few times I pull a heavier (electronic braked) trailer. Where did you mount your brake controller to keep it looking "factory"?

Pictures appreciated.

Again, thanks for saving me a couple hundred dollars.

Good job

Is there really any coding involved? I bet not.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL V6 4Motion
      05-31-2018 01:03 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by RyanA3 View Post
      Good job

Is there really any coding involved? I bet not.
      There shouldn't be any coding if you have a factory hitch like the one on the SEL. There is a trailer assist mode for the rear view camera. The rear warning sensors also have to know if a trailer is connected or not.

I had a similar issue the first time I wanted to pull a trailer, so I went to the dealer to ask why there was no adapter plug for the wiring harness already there. They said that they don't include that at the factory because it depends on which connector your trailer has. I showed them the trailer plug, and they had the mating adapter for $57, but the service manager gave it to me for free.

12. 07-29-2018 09:38 AM #161
      Just ordered the eBay pigtail and looking to purchase the Tekonsha 90195 P3 brake controller to pull our new-to-us 2011 Jayco Jay pop-up.

I read through the forum a few times & still unsure whether we are good wiring without a “relay” for controlling the electronic brakes on the Jayco.

I have a SEL with the factory tow package and just hooked up the pollak connector in the back.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I totally missed the answer that I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas R-Line SEL | 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe | 1987 K5 Diesel
      07-29-2018 01:30 PM #162
      I’m using a tekonsha prodigy without a relay and have had zero issues

1987 K5 Diesel / 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass / 1998 Honda Accord V6 / 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe / 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser / 2011 Honda Pilot LX / 2013 Honda Pilot EX / 2011 Infiniti QX56 / 2018 Atlas R-Line SEL

Vehicles
      2014 S4, 2018 Atlas SELP 4-Mo, 1989 944 S2
      08-03-2018 01:07 PM #163
      Great thread—covered all of my trailering questions before we trade our Q5 for an Atlas.

Anyone wondering, the brake controller hookup is NOT the same as other recent models from VW and Audi. Same part numbers for the 4pin connector under the dash. The plug in our SEL Premium has part number 1J0971874 and will not fit the Touareg/Audi connectors (although the eBay item looks really nice). I ordered the correct plug and wires today and will get it put together later this week.

Before delivery I asked the dealer to pull out the plug under the dash so I can connect my Tekonsha EBC.

We initially went with a wireless EBC. It worked for our first two camping trips and would never pair after that. Great idea, but unreliable. If you are considering, I recommend passing on it.

Also the sway controller setup we have carries over as well. Here are some phots from our Q5. New Atlas pics will come later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Scott Evil; 08-13-2018 at 10:12 AM.
      mine: 2014 S4 Phantom Black.
      mine: 1989 944 S2 Black.
      hers: 2018 Atlas SEL Premium VR6 4-Motion Platinum Gray Metallic.

Vehicles
      12-20-2018 09:23 PM #164
      when you remove the plate and install a wiring adaptor, is that it? it's plug and play? or is there vag-com involved to activate everything?

cheers

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion Black
      12-21-2018 12:58 AM #165
      when you remove the plate and install a wiring adaptor, is that it? it's plug and play? or is there vag-com involved to activate everything?

cheers
      From what I have seen is that it is plug and play but you have to put the screws to keep in place. The break control seems to need some work inside on the driver door sill side.

17. 12-21-2018 10:06 PM #166

cheers
      You’ll need remove the plate next to the hitch and install the Pollak (or similar) plug. I believe at this point the trailer lights will function, but obviously, not trailer brakes.

For the brakes - Order the eBay harness and connect to the plug hanging out under the driver’s side sill plate. Run that under the dash to your brake controller and you’re good to go, no vag-com needed.

PS - the P3 controller works great.

Last edited by tbgti; 12-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.

18. 04-15-2019 05:08 PM #167
      I forgot to disconnect the battery when connecting the wiring harness and I think I created a short, does anyone know which fuse is associated with the brake control wiring harness?

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL Premium; 1997 Acura NSX; 2009 Toyota Camry; 2013 Jayco 29KS RV
      04-15-2019 06:11 PM #168
      This should be an easy question to answer but VW does not make it easy.
      1) I’d suggest you go Post # 19 here to get a map of the two fuse panels on a 2018 Atlas. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...light=fuse+map
      2) I did a quick look and found fuses: SC22, SC28 and SC38 having to do with the “Towing Control Module”
      3) You could spend more time to look through the list and possibly find others associated with the wiring harness, but they did not jump out at me.

Good Luck & let us know what you find.

20. Yesterday 05:05 PM #169
      I pulled those 3 fuses and they looked to be in good shape so it must be some other issue. Still no power to the cord, might have to just go to the dealer to get it sorted. Thanks for the input.

21. Semi-n00b
      Today 12:52 PM #170
      Quote Originally Posted by Hfqkhal View Post
      From what I have seen is that it is plug and play but you have to put the screws to keep in place. The break control seems to need some work inside on the driver door sill side.
      I installed the pollack connector that came from the dealer (quite easy, just took a bit to get the plate off), and bought a 7-pin to flat-4 adapter that lights up to indicate power. The adapter lights up, but just flashes. I'm assuming that's because the trailer isn't actually connected, and the sensors can't see it.

Getting my boat out of storage this weekend and will see if everything works once fully hooked up... pics too
      2019 Atlas SEL Premium V6 4Motion - Fortana Red - Titan Black Leather Captains Chairs

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567