VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

09G Tansmkission, Code NTJ: Fluid Change

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BellyPanMan 
#1 ·
Did just a pan fluid change, and got less than two quarts out of it. Was
darker than I thought it would be for 73,000 miles.

SO, I started it, idle neutral, no fluid coning out while I watched.

Then, put it in gear, ran through R and D, alternated till no engagement in D.
Turned it off, Looked again, no fluid for a few seconds, then more, darker
fluid drained out, not a whole lot at all.

Yes, the plastic reverse dip tube was out from the start... This one is about an
inch and a half long. I know they have different sizes, I suppose this is the
shortest one.

Now, there were two quarts in the drain pan (measured), let it sit, and that was it.

I pumped about three quarts in, left the pump and tube connected to the fill adapter,
started it up and let it idle for a minute then ran it through Reverse, D, then over to
1 and 2 for about 3 minutes.

Took the fill adapter out, and let it drain till it started that phphphphphphp farting
sound, and not even a cup came out.

I used a $4.97 One Gallon Bug Sprayer from Walmart, worked like a charm!
Unscrewed the spray tip, clamped a hose on it, then the other end of the hose
on the fill adapter. So, I have my $4.97 DIY Trans Fluid Pump Kit...

How much fluid is supposed to be in the pan? It sat for 15 hours.
2 quarts, that's it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Never mind, I know why... Dammit...

I didn't DROP the pan... I see now what the deal is, I need to order a
filter & gasket too, and do the pan drop. Got used to the DSG, but I knew this
was not a DSG, but got lost in the moment.

Crap... Wasted 3-quarts of fluid, cause there's still a lot in pan after
it all drains out... I forgot the drain plug is recessed a little, so all that
fluid below the recess is still in there....

Dammit...

#3 · (Edited)
Even though I did not drop the pan, I idled while filling as per all the instructions
I read. Then took then adapter out, left the motor run, then let it drip out till it
about stopped. It still took more than what came out with the level tube removed...

I have two filter and gasket kits coming...

I am also going to attach a 4"x5"x.7" Aluminum heatsink to the pan, if it
will clear the skid plate... There is an epoxy for gluing heatsinks to metal,
pretty neat...

Looking for a round heatsink that will fit around the oil filter housing next, or
at least half round (facing front)...

#4 ·
Did the whole change today, but got the pan off to see, WRONG filters!!!

This is what I needed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AT-Transmi...Golf-SportWagen-2015-2016-AQ160-/222493267598

This is the kind I got, not MAHLE though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6AT-Transmi...W-Golf-5-Passat-B6-CC-09G325429A/221779788952

The part numbers are identical, except the very last letter, which mine is a "D" the others
are "A".

09G-325-429-D - Even when I typed that in to eBay, I got those metal filters as a result.

So, now I have to sell or return them...

I had it all apart, went to the dealer and had to pay $84.00 for a JAPANESE part...
I had to reuse the gasket, because I didn't even get one with the filter I got from the
dealer, cheap-asses.... $84.00 and they can't toss int he friggin' gasket? Or an O-ring?
Well, I just hope the re-used stuff doesn't leak, I had no choice, or it was sacrifice a gasket
from the wrong filters and not be able to sell or return one of them...

I have my son's 2013 Jetta "S" with 09G, does anyone know which one of those
filters is the right one for THAT? Detail says 2014-2017, his is a 2013, and I
don't want to pull the pan to look, to have him have to pay $84.00 for one from
the dealer...

Hell, I may even clean the used filrer with Kerosene or soemtething, and reuse it...

By the way, hardly any clutch material stuck to the magnets, and no metal in the pan.
78047 miles, and rapidly climbing...

#5 ·
...I had it all apart, went to the dealer and had to pay $84.00 for a JAPANESE part...
I had to reuse the gasket, because I didn't even get one with the filter I got from the
dealer, cheap-asses....
The 09G is an Aisin transmission designed in partnership with Volkswagen engineers and built in Japan. I'd feel comfortable with a part sourced from there. :thumbup:

#9 ·
My experience with NTJ fluid change

I confirmed the transmission code by looking at the build sticker in the spare tire well. My wife's 2014 Passat Trendline 1.8 TSI (bottom of the line trim level in Canada) has code NTJ transmission.
I replaced fluid, filter, pan gasket, and drain plug crush gasket after 53 months in service, 88063 km (54730 miles). The original fluid was clear, brownish-red in color, smelled fine.
I used a REIN RTK0006 filter (black plastic filter housing), Elring ELRW0133-1737831 pan gasket, 4 liters of idemitsu TLS-LV fluid (3 would probably have been enough, but I had a bit of spillage), and a genuine VW drain plug crush gasket 09D321181B. The original pan gasket was in excellent condition and could probably have been re-used.

I had the front end of the car on ramps to drain the pan (removing the drain plug and overflow tube), and then levelled the car using jack-stands at the rear. I pumped the fluid in using a modified 1 gallon garden sprayer (as described by others), and measured temperature with my VCDS cable. For comparison, I used my infra-red temperature gun set at the default emissivity of 0.95, aimed at the pan near the drain plug. At an ambient temperature of 6 Celsius (about 43 Fahrenheit) the IR thermometer read about 35C when VCDS indicated an ATF temperature of 45C.

Torque specs I used (but am not 100% confident of accuracy of the specs)
Filter bolts 11 Nm
Pan bolts 7 Nm
Overflow tube 2 Nm (too low for my 1/4" drive torque wrench, I used Hand-tight)
Drain plug 27 Nm

While I was not 100% certain of the applicability of the idemitsu TLS-LV (there is so much conflicting information about the correct VW part number for the fluid, not to mention cross-referencing to non-VW fluids), the transmission is behaving as expected.
Hope this info helps someone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.