Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painting My MK2 Thread

1. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Golf 16vT
      10-07-2018 02:00 AM #26
      I've been cutting and buffing trying to figure out how to do it well. I've tested through the compound/polish steps on a few spots but it just doesn't seem to shine the way I expect, I'm wondering if I've cut too much of the clear out trying to get rid of all the dust, and I did burn through the clear in two spots so I'll need to touch up and re-clear those spots. Been learning about flow coating and wondering if maybe I should give that a shot. Currently all but the hood and roof has been wetsanded with 800, dust and runs have all been eliminated, and I'm pretty confident that I'd get better results my second time clearing than I did my first time. The whole driver's side was in pretty rough shape, tons of dust, dirt, and runs because that was the side I sanded on while it was in the booth (big mistake!). And I actually realized that I got a run on every panel! Ha! Razor blade and wet-sanding makes quick work of them though, I'd rather have runs than dry spray. Ok, pics:

After the polish, it's still a little hazy and hard to get rid of those swirls

Hard to tell in the pic but there's a massive constellation of dust nibs right there

So now I'm trying to both talk myself into and talk myself out of re-clearing the whole car. I almost want to just to have done it well at least once...

Labor Hours: 260+

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      91 Golf 16vT
      06-01-2019 02:34 AM #27
      Whoa, completely forgot about this thread. I was updating the original post here, if you're interested in all the details. But I'll throw some progress/current pics up on this one for now:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12