VWVortex.com - 74 standard beetle resto
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74 standard beetle resto

Vehicles
      84 GTI, 81 caddy, 55 chevy truck, 74 Beetle, 01 mustang, 70 Corona MK2, 07 Outback, 77 Z28
      08-17-2017 09:41 AM #1
      Its taken me quite a few years to get this far but here it is. My 74 beetle that has underwent a ground up restoration with a change or two along the way. I didnt take as many pictures as I probably should have but I have enough to get the point across. More to come as I put more of it together!

2 to make 1

Spiral Innovations 336-937-5181
      Contact me for custom metal component needs.
      I offer CNC plasma cutting, sheetmetal fabrication and general design and fabrication services.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      84 GTI, 81 caddy, 55 chevy truck, 74 Beetle, 01 mustang, 70 Corona MK2, 07 Outback, 77 Z28
      08-17-2017 09:46 AM #2

Still need to paint the door handles and cups to match trim
      I offer CNC plasma cutting, sheetmetal fabrication and general design and fabrication services.

4. 08-18-2017 09:02 AM #3
      Very Nice!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-18-2017 09:03 AM #4
      So is that an older dash? Also what kind of steering wheel is that? I've been restoring a 65 Beetle for the last two myself.

Vehicles
      08-18-2017 01:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6dmw View Post
      So is that an older dash? Also what kind of steering wheel is that? I've been restoring a 65 Beetle for the last two myself.
      Thanks! And no it is the original metal that was behind the dashpad. Its the same as the older dashes besides having more openings for vents and switches. I just welded up the holes I didnt want and bodyworked them smooth.
      Im not sure what the steering wheel came off of but im assuming a triumph or something british. Hell it may be an old aftermarket wheel. I bought it at the Carlisle import nationals for 20$ and proceeded to refinish it. I had to make my own steering wheel adapter as well to fit the column and signal/wiper arms.
      Doing a ground up resto does take a ton of time. Hopefully it doesnt take you as long as it has me lol. I started out just wanting to build a driver for cheapish and it snowballed into a car ill be a little afraid to drive considering the money and time I have in it. But im sure the novelty will wear off quickly and ill be driving it all the time in good weather.

8. Member
      08-18-2017 09:42 PM #6

Hi dub ,

The steering wheel didn't "come off" of anything, it came out of an EMPI package, 3 spoke 3 hole dark wood steering wheel from https://www.pinterest.com/pin/305892999676330742 from https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+e...=1503098963009 , EMPI acquired 100's of variations of this design from countless sources, they had multiple variations of the horn cap & spline adapters to conform with the type of car that they were being installed onto, I have more info if you'd like to see it like https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.dlIChniWvXw , there should be a production part # on the back side of it, GOOGLE that #, you might need a magnifying glass to find it.
      It doesn't look like a Grant or MOMO.
      Did you find all of the grommets & plugs around the door jambs?, I've got catalogs for all of those.
      Got sounds? https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.41YveHKRCTY , I had 2 3-way 6x9's strapped to the bottom of the front seat frames & 2 3-way 12 inchers attached to the rear parcel compartment cover between the top of the back seat & under the rear window.
      Is that the windshield wiper & washer button knob on the ashtray cover?, we used to have fun by installing the washer nozzle backwards so we could spray people in the crosswalks, one guy rerouted it to dispense alcohol to a nozzle under the dash.
      This may help http://www.vw-classicparts.de/pcat1200/index2.html

Vehicles
      08-19-2017 08:43 AM #7
      Thanks for the info! All of it is welcome. Yes, that is a wiper knob on the ashtray. My wiper/sprayer controls are on the column and I had purchased enough knobs to fill the dash holes before I made the decision to use the newer model column. So I will probably be replacing it with another standard before I take this to any shows lol. I had to cut and glue a few things to be able to mount it there.

Im actually not running any radio right now so no need for speakers. If I do though, it will be a hidden mp3 box and I will use speakers behind the dash grilles just to keep the look, clean inside. Thats pretty much my main goal with this car.

That wheel has a grant bolt pattern but Ive got a few old steering wheels with that pattern with different brand names stamped in them. So i assume EMPI just copied it because it was common?

Now its time to go put some more parts on!

10. Member
      08-22-2017 12:00 PM #8

Hi dub ,

As far as keeping the look please keep in mind that my front speakers were strapped under the seat bottom frame spring pack(49 or 50) = nothing to see here, I just had a wiring quick disconnect between the heater channels & lower seat frames(1 or 2)

, kind of also feeling the sound in the seat of my pants as well as hearing it.
      On the rears those were suspended from the bottom of the package tray(30)

with small black zip-ties & a dab of epoxy at each tie, I just drilled a ton of very small holes onto the particle board from below but not through the carpet covering, then used a large sewing needle through the salt & pepper carpet at each hole in order to move air between the top & bottom of the speakers, vacuum the carpet = nothing to see here.
      If I set the balance & fade just right it would sound like I was driving a pair of headphones, couldn't tell where the sound was coming from.
      Anyone looking inside would just see the faceplate of an old school(60's) https://www.google.com/search?source...41.LAoVmmP15EA stock option AM/FM radio on the dash.
      The other nice thing about running a package tray is that it cuts interior engine noise in ~1/2.
      Oh ya, on EMPI those were all just repackaged factory 2nd's = brand production rejects, more often than not you can find the point where the logo was ground off, I had 40 years in working for VW at the dealership level before recently retiring so I've pretty much seen it all.

Vehicles
      08-22-2017 03:05 PM #9
      I definitely like the idea of drilling the small holes in the package tray for hidden speakers so that may happen. I recently got this Pyle 4 channel amp dealhttps://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3A...rine+amplifier for my rabbit so im sure I could use the same for the bug and keep everything hidden. Ill only be playing music from my ipod anyways so that keeps it all simple. Good to know that the package tray cuts out a lot of the engine noise. It may end up being a good fair-weather cruiser after all lol.

12. Member
      08-24-2017 10:23 PM #10

Hi dub ,

I've got more suggestions for speaker placements if you'd like to see them , did you use a lot of tar board https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.1sKKoImruEc ?

Last edited by buggyman; 08-24-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Vehicles
      08-25-2017 10:53 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by buggyman View Post

Hi dub ,

I've got more suggestions for speaker placements if you'd like to see them , did you use a lot of tar board https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.1sKKoImruEc ?

Ill listen to suggestions for sure. I used the tarboard kit in the engine bay as well as the louvered stainless(which is powder coated gloss black) panels. I placed dynamat type stuff throughout the cabin/floors and all the original sound deadening mats are still attached in the quarter panels and doors. I didnt overkill it and do the whole cabin like lots of people do. If this was going to be a daily, I may have but Ive got other cars for that.

Hoping to get the door glass in and panels all buttoned up and in this weekend. Luckily its starting to cool down to where its not miserable to work in the shop here in NC now. I ordered a bunch of little detail stuff from cip1 yesterday so its definitely getting closer to complete.

14. Member
      08-29-2017 06:39 PM #12

Hi dub ,

Sorry for the delay, retirement is busier than working.
      You've pretty much got just 2 other hidden options.

1st would be say 2 3-ways in the trunk knee panel(2) between the firewall & dash, close as possible to the dash & spread as far apart from each as possible, drill pilot holes from a mounting pattern, go back under the panel & countersink the holes from that side, tape countersunk screws through the holes from underneath so that they appear like studs in the trunk, mount the speakers using Nylock nuts, then you have a choice, mount the speakers directly to the metal & drill a pattern of very small holes matching the speaker diaphragm pattern of the speaker(there's you grill), or, mount the speakers with their grills attached then open a hole within the diaphragm pattern.

OK, if you got that 1st one then maybe think the front 1/4 panels(1) for maybe at best tweeter sized speakers in the wheel wells, they'll need backside shielding like a box, 1st you need to check your front alignment, turn the steering wheel all the way to left lock, how much room do you have to work with at say ~2 O'clock?, now lock right & measure at ~10 O'clock, if they don't match your alignment is biased to one side so that needs to be corrected 1st, now, how much room do you have to work with?, if there's room then repeat the trunk mounting procedure with the front 1/4 kick panel carpets peeled off/back, whether or not you have room there depends on the car's stance + your tire profile.

A little tip on the door glasses, Scotch Brite all the edges that are gonna contact the felts(38, 36) then spray the felts with wet silicone through the straw, wipe off any excess that doesn't directly contact the glass, the glass should be able to travel from top to bottom without any hitch to it's giddy up in between in order to lengthen the life of the regulator(2)

Vehicles
      10-09-2017 09:17 AM #13
      Worked on it a bit more this weekend. Got my battery installed and made a terminal cover since the negative terminal is only an inch away from the heat duct. I ended up using a side terminal battery for fear that it could possibly arc on the seat springs when pulling the seat bottom out. Maybe thats unwarranted, but thats the decision i made lol. Ive painted my bosch coil, silver and will put the Bosch gold/brown decals on today(along with installing coil again) and hopefully be able to move the car around under its own power for the first time ever. Its ran for a long time but hasnt been fully assembled because of details that needed addressing.

Vehicles
      10-11-2017 07:47 AM #14
      Still have to add my aluminum alternator pulley once i buy the puller to get the OG one off.

Refinished my bosch "blue" coil to match the rest of the car better. Stickers are upside down from factory but it looks better this way considering how its mounted.

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '08 Volvo S80
      10-16-2017 10:07 PM #15
      Dat purty.

Vehicles
      10-17-2017 11:09 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Jade Wombat View Post
      Dat purty.
      Thanks homes

Before it was straightened up. Another pictar of the cleaned up trunk coming soon

Vehicles
      10-17-2017 01:18 PM #17
      Not show ready, but cleaned up a bit.

Vehicles
      03-26-2018 01:24 PM #18
      A little more work done. Also got the side windows and scrapers installed, cranked it up, tuned on the carbs a bit, ordered the door seals and adjustable spring plates for the rear. front and rear glass is next on the list. Things are happening slowly but surely.

Vehicles
      04-15-2019 03:47 PM #19
      Getting close to complete. Better pictures to come.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by dubsteez79; 04-15-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: wrong link first try

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '08 Volvo S80
      04-16-2019 11:33 AM #20
      A lot quicker than me. I've got one side window put in my bus in the last six months. Life keeps getting in the way.

Four more to go, plus the door frames, etc.

Vehicles
      04-23-2019 12:58 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jade Wombat View Post
      A lot quicker than me. I've got one side window put in my bus in the last six months. Life keeps getting in the way.

Four more to go, plus the door frames, etc.
      It happens. I just need to finish my bumper brackets, install a couple of things and tune the new carbs up and itll be done. Been in that same situation all year so far lolol.

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '08 Volvo S80
      04-24-2019 09:18 AM #22
      One more done.

Vehicles
      05-07-2019 03:52 PM #23

Vehicles
      05-15-2019 08:18 AM #24
      Question:

I lined my doors up with no door seals in them and now that Ive installed them, the back of the door is not flush with the body. I have ran out of adjustment for the door catch on the body and cant remember if the striker on the door has any adjustment or not. Anyone else have this experience and did you remedy it by trimming in a specific spot or some other way? Got a show coming up this weekend and do not want to have to remove the door seals just so my body lines are correct. I can and will but this has to be fixed at some point. Thanks!

Vehicles
      '66 Bus, '08 Volvo S80
      05-18-2019 04:32 PM #25
      Sorry, didn't see this sooner. I put the seals on then leave the vehicle out in the sun for everything to squish in. Sometimes the seals settle and form, sometimes not. I have had to trim a tiny amount away on the side door seals for my bus as there are raised sections.

Did you put the seals on dry or have to use some glue to get them to stay?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast