VWVortex.com - All-new 2018 Nissan Leaf unveiled - Boasts 150 miles of range (High-power/big-battery version coming next year), starts at $29,990 before incentives
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All-new 2018 Nissan Leaf unveiled - Boasts 150 miles of range (High-power/big-battery version coming next year), starts at $29,990 before incentives

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      09-06-2017 02:00 AM #26
      Nice. I can buy one used for my kid in five years for cheap! I'd actually drive one. Just for commuting, it'd be great.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '15 BMW i3 BEV
      09-06-2017 02:15 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It doesn't seem to say anything about a liquid cooled battery. That said, Nissan did a TON of work after the fiasco with the first Leaf, so much so that they actually had an internal code name for the revised battery pack: the lizard pack. It was specifically designed after the complaints/lawsuit in Phoenix where cars were losing 20-30% of range per year due to the heat. Supposedly the lizard battery has resolved all the heat issues and honestly I haven't heard any complaints since.

The other thing is that the more capacity a pack has, the fewer cycles it will go through and the lower the C rate for charging and discharging. Basically the bigger the battery pack, the easier it is to deal with. This is part of why Tesla has never had problems, since almost all of their cars are sold with 70kwh and up. A few are 60, but even that is the minimum, where the first Leaf shipped with just 24kwh. Now that they're shipping with a base of 40kwh, that's up 67% from the original Leaf and 33% from the enhanced long range edition of the 1st gen car. It's just a lot less likely that you'll run into battery troubles the larger the pack is, and 40kwh is a pretty big pack by sub-$30k EV standards.

I'm not a fan of Nissan's current design language, but I do find this car slightly more attractive than the outgoing Leaf, and the 40kwh battery and Android Auto to be very attractive. If this thing depreciates as much as the first Leaf, then I may be picking up a 2018 Leaf in 2022 or so for $10k.
      There's also a power bump from 109hp to 150, should make it more interesting as well.

40kW is enough for most people most of the time, short range commuters can rely on a singe charge a week, longer range, such as myself, will have that extra margin. Let's face it, the Leaf will remain the best selling EV nameplate for a while longer. It's like the Toyota Corolla of EVs.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      09-06-2017 02:32 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post

150miles range

09-06-2017 02:40 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      disappointed-but-not-surprised
      So along those lines, I see one of the Euro reviews claims they speculate that the long range version will have an NEDC range of 310 miles versus this model's 235 mile rating. Apply that 32% gain to the US model and that puts the US EPA rating at 198 miles for the long range model. Apply to battery capacity and it suggests the long range one may have a 53 kwh pack versus the standard model's 40 kwh pack. We'll see as they release more info, but if the Euro review is accurate, then the long range Leaf with 198 mile range will be at 84% of the range of the Bolt but with a potentially lower starting price if they can start the long-range Leaf at $35k versus the Bolt's starting price of $37.5k.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-06-2017 02:42 AM #30
      The high-po model should have around 225 miles of range, per people at the unveiling
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      09-06-2017 03:51 AM #31
      Looks good (if a bit tall). good price.

Too lazy to read, did they finally give it's battery pack liquid cooling?
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      09-06-2017 08:40 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Brancky View Post
      Still quite ugly. Why can't they just make a normal car, but electric?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      This looks much more in line with standard Nissan "styling" than the previous Leaf did.
      Now, I think Nissan's current design direction is awful, but this new Leaf fits in quite nicely with the Murano and Maxima.
      There are some nice touches, here and there, but there is simply too much going on.
      The detailing of the "grille" is really cool, but the cut-line, where the hood meets grille seems to be too far back.
      All of these cars with this trendy floating roof and blacked out C or D pillars are going to look like sh!t in 5 years, when the black paint/vinyl starts
      to fade from black-to-gray-to-white.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      09-06-2017 08:59 AM #33
      Looks significantly better than the old Leaf; no need to bring a bag to cover your head anymore. Range is almost there to fit my driving profile. Its a nice step forward.

Vehicles
      2013 Charger R/T Road & Track, 2015 Mini Cooper S 4Dr
      09-06-2017 08:59 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The detailing of the "grille" is really cool, but the cut-line, where the hood meets grille seems to be too far back.
      That seemed odd to me too. Does this have a "frunk" like a Tesla?

Overall, the styling is much, much better than the outgoing model. I'm still not a fan of Nissan's current designs, but this ain't too bad.

Vehicles
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      09-06-2017 09:24 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      It doesn't seem to say anything about a liquid cooled battery. That said, Nissan did a TON of work after the fiasco with the first Leaf, so much so that they actually had an internal code name for the revised battery pack: the lizard pack. It was specifically designed after the complaints/lawsuit in Phoenix where cars were losing 20-30% of range per year due to the heat. Supposedly the lizard battery has resolved all the heat issues and honestly I haven't heard any complaints since.

The other thing is that the more capacity a pack has, the fewer cycles it will go through and the lower the C rate for charging and discharging. Basically the bigger the battery pack, the easier it is to deal with. This is part of why Tesla has never had problems, since almost all of their cars are sold with 70kwh and up. A few are 60, but even that is the minimum, where the first Leaf shipped with just 24kwh. Now that they're shipping with a base of 40kwh, that's up 67% from the original Leaf and 33% from the enhanced long range edition of the 1st gen car. It's just a lot less likely that you'll run into battery troubles the larger the pack is, and 40kwh is a pretty big pack by sub-$30k EV standards.

I'm not a fan of Nissan's current design language, but I do find this car slightly more attractive than the outgoing Leaf, and the 40kwh battery and Android Auto to be very attractive. If this thing depreciates as much as the first Leaf, then I may be picking up a 2018 Leaf in 2022 or so for $10k.
      I don't know I had a coworker that had a 2014 under lease and he said it didn't seem to drive the same when it was around 0 degrees Fahrenheit where my Focus Electric had no issues (except half the range). While I think 150 miles is the sweet spot I would be very curious how of the mileage when it is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and how the battery pack handles it.

So far this is a huge step in the right direction for Nissan and I like the way it looks. I might have to check it out as it can handle 90% of the trips I would take and also has Android Auto which I want in all future cars I purchase!

Vehicles
      '10 Evo X GSR w/SSS [SOLD], '16 Kia Optima SXL, '08 Nissan Boring, '96 Nissan Maxima 5 sp
      09-06-2017 09:46 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by CSmith View Post

Hairy female? finger....eek
      Well, considering the car, it may not be a 'female'

In all seriousness, much better looking. I see no reason that anyone would buy a prius nowadays. Better options out there

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-06-2017 10:29 AM #37
      Pardon my dumb question, but for a claimed 150 mi range, with part highway (70 mph+) and part city driving, how much less range could one expect to get? Would it easily do 100 miles, for example?

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      09-06-2017 10:39 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Brancky View Post
      Still quite ugly. Why can't they just make a normal car, but electric?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      I don't follow. It looks like a normal hatchback...

Anyway, if I were in the market for an EV, this would make for an already choice. The exterior is a major improvement. The blue detailing in the nose is quite cool.
      Nirvana.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      09-06-2017 10:52 AM #39
      Still kind of ugly but not nearly as bad as it was.

Sounds like a whole bunch of solid improvements were made, should be a pretty good car.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      2019 Subaru Ascent
      09-06-2017 10:56 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Pardon my dumb question, but for a claimed 150 mi range, with part highway (70 mph+) and part city driving, how much less range could one expect to get? Would it easily do 100 miles, for example?
      I California I think it would do it without any issues. In Chicago during the winter it might have some issues achieving that range although I'm curious how well the hybrid heater or whatever they call it works when it is really cold outside.

I'm debating on putting off the SUV purchase to get one these for most of my driving.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-06-2017 11:10 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Sortafast View Post
      That seemed odd to me too. Does this have a "frunk" like a Tesla?
      Nope. Photos from The Verge:

Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      09-06-2017 11:15 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      As a former EV owner, I can honestly tell you that 150 mile range is more than enough for 99.9% of the commuters. I did fine with 88 mile range. If you are driving more than 150 miles a day, you need to really reconsider moving closer to work or stop working for Uber.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

19. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-06-2017 11:20 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      As a former EV owner, I can honestly tell you that 150 mile range is more than enough for 99.9% of the commuters. I did fine with 88 mile range. If you are driving more than 150 miles a day, you need to really reconsider moving closer to work or stop working for Uber.
      Yep. Its more than triple what I'd ever need on a regular commute, so that leaves plenty of room for errands while it's really cold outside.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      09-06-2017 11:27 AM #44
      I think Nissan nailed the design on this one. It looks like the rest of the lineup, in a good way, while still being distinctively identifiable.

This from this

is the affordable BEV's equivalent of the 2004 Prius leap forward. This will be a hit for them.

Vehicles
      Mk1, mk7
      09-06-2017 11:27 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Yep. Its more than triple what I'd ever need on a regular commute, so that leaves plenty of room for errands while it's really cold outside.

I see what you did there
      Easy like Sunday Morning.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      09-06-2017 11:38 AM #46
      The panel gap/fitment on those pre-pro models is pretty bad, especially around the hood/charging port/bumper area. [/TCL,noxenons,samson,me, etc.]

Man they're setting themselves up for the $19,999 (post federal incentives) Leaf S aren't they? That's gotta be enticing to people, and it's got to put pressure on i3 values as well!

I think it'll be a home run at their pricing, and I think a lot of people on the fence have been softening up to the limited range of EVs, and the new sweet spot might just be more like 150 miles. guess we'll see! Has anyone plotted the upcoming range/$ of all the upcoming models to see what the trend is and how well all these models fit? Or is that just the data nerd in me coming through?

Vehicles
      Mine:2014 VR6 Passat SEL Hers: 2019 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-06-2017 12:02 PM #47
      It doesn't go over 62MPH so that might help for the question you asked.

24. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-06-2017 12:07 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      No liquid cooled battery still? Count me out
      Not an issue in places like Burlington, Vermont.

25. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      09-06-2017 12:08 PM #49
      Somewhere US EPA has a spreadsheet with all the test data for every car. My Focus has an offikial range of 76 miles, but the "highway" range is 71. So I think the new Leaf will have no trouble surpassing 100 miles at speed.

Vehicles
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      09-06-2017 12:14 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
      It doesn't go over 62MPH so that might help for the question you asked.
      No, the ProPilot autonomous drive doesn't exceed 62.

The car itself can do much more than that.
      Nirvana.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast