VWVortex.com - What are Dave and Barry working on today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What are Dave and Barry working on today?

09-21-2017 01:36 PM #1
      It has been suggested that I start a blog, of sorts, to document what Dave and I get our hands greasy on. If you've not followed any of my builds I'm a 65 year old car guy with lots of time and lots of space to work on cars. Dave is a 60 year-old life-long mechanic that has worked on some of the world's finest cars with Rolls-Royce a specialty. I'm always astounded by his depth of knowledge. Dave's circumstances led him to become a mobile mechanic. I had met him years earlier when he worked on my Mark II, replacing a transport-damaged bumper after being straightened and re-chromed. He fell back into my life with the Ruxton build. We were due to participate in a press event with our 1955 Continental Cabrio. I couldn't get it to reliably start so I called a friend with a similar car and asked for an expert. He had been using Dave's mobile services for years and gave me his number.

Normally, I would have chased the problem myself, but I was physically and emotionally drained from a potentially catastrophic problem with the Ruxton. My friend Greg, another old wrench, had been taught by the best, but neither of us could figure out why the car wouldn't run. I placed a call and Dave got back to me, He said he'd be by my house by 8pm, but showed up at 10:00. He woke up the neighborhood with his muffler-less Lightning pick-up. That was my first experience with the late Dave B. He operates on a completely different astro plane than the rest of the world. Most days he'll show up just before I leave and work until 3am. He prefers to work alone, but recognizes that some jobs require two people. That's where our Venn graphs come together. That's when I kinda direct things and set goals for the night's work.

Dave sized up the problem with the Porsche to be a loose ground and had the car started in no time. Fortunately the car was on a storage rack at home so he didn't have to work on the ground. He was in his mid-50s then and that kind of work takes it's toll, so he was thankful to have the lift. I was hunched over under the lift with him and lamented that after 5 days of desperate trying I could not get the Ruxton's inline-8 engine to run. It would fart and snort and spit, but would not run. I knew the front wheel drive car's engine ran backwards and was installed backwards. What I didn't know was that the #1 cylinder, up against the firewall was used for ignition timing and the valve timing was done off of #8. How many of you knew that? I sure didn't. He did. In 2 hours he had it running. He had found that the engine, in order to run backwards like a second boat engine, had some different parts. The cam and distributor were different cut gears for running backwards. The cam lobes were 180° off. I understood all of that. What I hadn't realized was that the cam gears were the same for both directions, but the timing marks were in different positions. I had been setting the timing of the valves for an engine that ran in the other direction. I was able to memorialize the moment Dave joined the team.

http://vid244.photobucket.com/albums...ps478f808e.mp4

I was in business for 40 years. 20 years ago my business got boring and easy to run so I started building cars and fixing machinery, just to keep me at the office so I'd be there when needed instead of being home making my wife of 45 years crazy. Since I retired I let people work on their cars here. In turn, they do favors for me. I also have friends that aren't mechanics and have a need so I put them together with Dave. He works directly for them so I'm out of that picture. I do all the parts ordering and these days pretty much act as Dave's helper since the Zephyr crash. We've reversed rolls, in a big way. Over the years in business I've amasses a large tool collection, a 7,000# lift, a 10hp 120-gallon 3-phase compressor and a huge sand blast booth I made, so I can do just about anything here in my toy box.

Since we have no current cars in restoration it might be better to post a bunch of small projects, if there's an interest. To start things off we have a very nice Italian car visiting that seems to have some hack work that needs attention. This is a pair of brake lines. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited by barry2952; 09-21-2017 at 01:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      09-21-2017 01:53 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      That was my first experience with the late Dave B
      Don't scare me with phrases like this, Barry!

Excited to watch this thread!
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      09-21-2017 01:58 PM #3
      Oh, I'm so in. and that brake line union is terrifying. And leaking.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      09-21-2017 02:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Don't scare me with phrases like this, Barry!

Excited to watch this thread!

I thought the same thing!

Looking forward to seeing what pops up.

Vehicles
      BRZ
      09-21-2017 02:13 PM #5
      Looking forward to updates

09-21-2017 02:36 PM #6
      OK Vortex, maybe you can help me. I moved the '88 750iL in preparation of the demolition of the roof in another part of the building. I started it with the boost setting of my Lithium jump start pack. It started right up and we moved it without a problem. The trickle charger had some weird flashing lights so I hooked it up to a 6-amp 12-volt charger. I wanted to remove the back seat to get to the battery directly, so I stuck the key in the ignition and heard and felt something short out. I think it was the battery. I immediately turned off the key, but the charger needle had pegged. Now I'm afraid to energize the system until I replace the battery, I can't replace the battery until I electrically raise the seat. D'oh!

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring, 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LT, 2013 Ford Escape SE
      09-21-2017 02:37 PM #7
      A Barry blog?

Last edited by Yo Teach; 09-21-2017 at 02:41 PM.
      You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it.

09-21-2017 02:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Oh, I'm so in. and that brake line union is terrifying. And leaking.
      I didn't even think it was legal to make a splice with compression fittings.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 89 325i
      09-21-2017 02:44 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      I thought the same thing!

Looking forward to seeing what pops up.

X3

Vehicles
      2dr ALH Golf WVW-W TDI, 12v Cummins Ram 2500, '08 TT 3.2
      09-21-2017 02:44 PM #10
      OK Vortex, maybe you can help me... I can't replace the battery until I electrically raise the seat. D'oh!
      Does this help any? http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/62868
      · ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

09-21-2017 02:51 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
      Wow! That was quick. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      09-21-2017 03:11 PM #12
      Also, it's common for the 'fusible link' to fail due to age on the E32/E34 cars. It carries power from the battery to the main power distribution harness for the rest of the car, and the symptoms can be the same as a dead battery. Be sure to check that out as well as the battery itself.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

Vehicles
      2dr ALH Golf WVW-W TDI, 12v Cummins Ram 2500, '08 TT 3.2
      09-21-2017 03:15 PM #13
      Sometimes my Google-fu is strong
      · ·we're only gonna die for our own arrogance that's why we might as well take our time...
      · · /
      · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to Ø

09-21-2017 03:16 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Also, it's common for the 'fusible link' to fail due to age on the E32/E34 cars. It carries power from the battery to the main power distribution harness for the rest of the car, and the symptoms can be the same as a dead battery. Be sure to check that out as well as the battery itself.
      I have a commercial battery test rig so I'll do that first.

09-21-2017 03:33 PM #15
      My attorney is a car collector. Dave had done some work for him in the past. He asked if I could share Dave with him. He has a huge garage under his house with plenty of space to work, but he doesn't have a lift and old bones absorb cold and working on the floor takes it's toll. I offered my space so his cars could be much more easily worked on. He brought us this beautiful 1972 365C4 for a louder than normal exhaust noise.

Before Dave got involved with that I wanted to put the hood back on my Mark II. It's been away for a year. The hood is so heavy it has to be propped open as it doesn't always stay up as it's 6 feet long. A friend was doing the brakes on the Mark II after they nearly failed on the Laguna Seca track's 16% exit ramp. The car was accidentally raised up into an overhead trolly and the hood was crushed. My classic car insurance covers the damages, but the place that repaired it used so much Bondo that the paint cracked and the filler pulled away from the hood and broke off, right before judging at the Concours of America at St. John's.

I fought the hard fight and got the re-repair covered and the work done by one of the top shops in Michigan. Fortunately, it was his last job before retirement. When they stripped the paint and filler they found the hood misshapen with the hood peak a 1/2" below where it should be and so much filler that the peak no longer existed. Using my friends car as a guide I made a wood buck that told the shop exactly where the peak should be and they were successful. It did take 3 of us to get it in place.

This is the buck I made.

I'm happy that's done.

Last edited by barry2952; 09-21-2017 at 03:44 PM.

09-21-2017 05:53 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6ix View Post
      Had trouble getting the button to work, but it did.

The side of the battery split. Clean-up on aisle 3.

Interstate has kind of a ****ty warranty formula. They give you $2.00 for every remaining month of warranty, so that's $16. However, if you use that warranty the new warranty is only for the remainder of the old battery's warranty. I'd be crazy to give of 76 months of warranty for $16. Any good way to buy these?

Vehicles
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      09-22-2017 08:24 AM #17
      This is the buck I made.

Holy crap, that is cool.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      09-22-2017 08:50 AM #18
      Your talents know no bounds. That buck is cool. Before long, you'll be hammering out alloy bodies like the carozzeries used to. Lol.

And that was a damned shame about your MkII Hood, but it looks pretty damned amazing now.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      mk4 GTI, F350, RD1 CRV
      09-22-2017 08:51 AM #19
      in!

Vehicles
      '80 Mini 850, '17 Tacoma TRD Pro
      09-22-2017 08:58 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by tip View Post
      in!

09-22-2017 09:14 AM #21
      This Ferrari could use some new slippers. Can anyone decipher this Michelin X date code? Gotta good source for a 215/70 VR15?

First time I've knocked off a knock-off.

Suspension geometry artwork. It'll get a thorough cleaning and sway bar bushings.

The rubber-coated bumper needs unbending.

Rear suspension glory. One of the rear calipers is slightly stuck. Will need to be examined.

The rear section of the exhaust is Swiss cheese.

Caught this just in time. The rubber hose to the oil cooler as nearly rubbed through the riding under the rubber cover. Can you say "Catastrophic loss of oil"?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      09-22-2017 09:36 AM #22
      Thanks so much for sharing. The buck is a damn near a piece of art on its own.

That 365 is pure sex. I want to have its babies. It is such a clean, simple, yet achingly gorgeous, design.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      Honda Accord, A few bicycles.
      09-22-2017 09:46 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      The buck is a damn near a piece of art on its own. .
      Id hang it on my wall! Or make a hell of a coffee table out of it!

Barry, your skills, talent and ability to make a great story out of an amazing project are inspiring!

Vehicles
      2014 Durango Citadel \ 2013 FRS Turbo \ 2019 Outback Limited
      09-22-2017 10:14 AM #24
      In forever.

Love your work!

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      09-22-2017 10:22 AM #25
      If you want a product that does an awesome job on bringing back the foam/rubber bits from the 70/80s cars, Meguiars Extreme Tire Gel. I give the surface a good clean then apply a liberal amount (mask off everything), let it soak for an hour. Reapply if you miss a spot then wipe off. It lasts for a long time, doesnt attract dust and gives a good satin finish.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast