Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'NONSMKR': Driven to build

2/5 of the Way from San-Fran to Port-Land
      Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      09-24-2017 08:19 PM #1

I never had a build thread and I don’t even have many photos from the first few years, but here is a timeline to get you up to speed on my never ending build or driver/mechanic saga…

2005: My wife purchased a 1982 VW Rabbit Pickup diesel to be a material hauler for our rural property in Northern CA. We had a 2003 Tacoma, but we were disappointed with the fuel economy, handling, and hauling capacity. We sold the Tacoma and used the money to buy the Rabbit truck and a 1995 F250 diesel for heavy hauling. 12 years later, I still have both trucks and have no regrets.

The Rabbit was a basket case that came from the East Bay area. The fellow that sold her to us had sourced lots of good used parts. Almost enough for a complete truck, but the engine, transmission and related parts came in the bed. He was abandoning the project to become a driver/mechanic for Green Tortoise tours in Central America. We had our local (Semi-pro) mechanic put in a turnkey used 1.6L NA that we had shipped from Z&S imports. This mechanic and I were friendly and we both ran air-cooled VW’s. I had a Thing and a Bus at the time. They were my vanity projects, and I have way more pics of them from those days.

2006-2007: I don’t have many photos from the first few years. Wife and I were working near Hollister in those years and we spent almost every weekend scouring the Pick-and-pulls from San Jose to Moss Landing. Got Lots of parts at good prices; the junkyards were full of MK1s in those days. Picked up a set of GTI snowflakes for $80 on half price day that I still run in the summers. Never refinished. Got the fender flares and mirrors off that car too. Other early work/upgrades that I did myself included… All metal sport shifter kit with adjustable throw, Viton fuel hoses for bio-diesel, Tan dash-mat to cover up the roached dash, my first attempt at a headliner replacement, re-upholstered seats, KYB shocks front and rear, usual stuff like alternator, brakes, wheel bearings, coolant hoses, front end rebuild and fixing all kinds of electrical switches, lights and gauges that weren’t working. Just keeping up with systems that were failing. Blew my first head-gasket after about 20,000 miles. It was probably warped after driving it home. I didn’t check. Just got a new gasket, a Bentley manual and some timing tools and drove another 10,000 miles before it blew again. I had the Injection Pump rebuilt while I was replacing the gasket.

2008: Had my same (Semi-pro) rural mechanic friend, who was a fellow (air-cooled) VW enthusiast install a brand new 1.9L NA motor at his recommendation. His brother (also a VW mechanic) had one lying around and gave us what seemed like a great price compared to getting another rebuilt 1.6L. Once again, he installed and it ran. I did the fine tuning and detail work like installing a timing belt cover. I should say that we were now living at our rural Northern CA property full time, working on building a living situation including electricity. One of the only photos I have of the truck from those days is this novelty shot of us using the truck as a generator to do construction work.

Around this time, my wife started using the truck as her commuter for her new job that was 60 miles away, over a mountain pass. We ran lots of bio-diesel in those days. We could by 5 gallon cubies of clean soybean oil at Costco for a buck a gallon less than buying diesel at the pump. I would pour it right into the tank in the parking-lot and return the containers.

2010-2011: A nice older gentleman backed his Gi-normous Dodge Dually 4X4 into our little rabbit in the Costco parking lot. The tailgate and rear quarter panel were mashed by his stinger. He was waiting for my wife in the parking lot and admitted fault and had his insurance pay us for the damage. We took the cash. I did the body work myself and we had the whole truck repainted the original ‘Burnished Gold’ (LE1Z). Finally it was worth taking some photos.

I miss that egg-crate grill. Never reinstalled the fender flares because I didn’t want to mess up the paint. When I took them off for paint they weighed ten pounds each because they were full of mud. If you haven’t noticed yet; we live a few miles off-pavement. My workspace is my driveway or a tent in the winter. I added the mud-flaps and plastic Euro-bumpers to accent the new paint. We also got an aftermarket cabriolet style hood with a rectangular cut-out for a single washer-nozzle although it would be many years before I filled it.

Of course, not long after painting the truck, my wife hit a deer going 60 mph. The deer was also moving pretty fast. It tented the hood, broke the grill and one headlight and bounced on across the road. Once again insurance paid for the damage under comprehensive coverage (way cheaper than collision and covers hitting deer or other objects as long as you don’t leave your lane). We had a shop replace the grill and straighten the hood. They attached a badge, but it fell off within 100 miles. They say it must have been stolen, but I think they just didn’t secure it, we’ll never know, but they did eventually replace it.

However before that could happen…

My wife reported that the truck was stuttering, quitting, and acting fuel starved. I replaced the filter. No change. She was pregnant and working. I was working lots of overtime because it was my busy season. I took the truck to my mechanic friend and told him that I believed that there was a clog, probably in the fuel tank or lines before the filter. I told him that I wanted him to drop the fuel tank and have a look at the in-tank filter. After a couple of days he got back to me and said, without really justifying his hypothesis, that he believed that we needed another injection pump rebuild. I was busy and told him “fine, just fix it.” He removed the pump and I took it back to my same rebuilder and paid another $300 for another rebuild. Brought it back to my mechanic friend and put my timing tools and Bentley manual in his hands.

A week went by and I went by his shop to check up on his progress. He was working on my truck. The first thing that I noticed was that he was taking the head off. He admitted that something had gone wrong when he installed the IP. He said that he thought that he had screwed up the timing and smashed some valves. The next time that I checked in, he said that the valves seemed OK, but that he was getting the head resurfaced at his friend’s machine shop. I agreed to buy a new head gasket and bolts, he said “of course” he would not charge me for the machining or head installation.

When he showed me the head after machining, I really started to get worried. They had not removed the pre-chamber inserts and there were drag marks going across the cylinders from the inserts to the water channels. I did not get a photo of the refinished head before he reinstalled it, but this was one of the first times that I started posting in the Vortex diesel forum, to find out just how screwed I was.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ead-Is-this-OK

My wife and I had been planning on buying an MK4 diesel with all of the modern safety stuff and more than two seats for the impending expansion of our family. With the truck out of service for an extended period, she went ahead and bought a 2004 TDI Golf with low miles on Ebay and had it shipped from Florida. We sold the bus for a good price on Thesamba and shipped it to New York.

I got the truck back. The mechanic and I took a test drive of about 25 miles and everything was fine. My wife drove it to work the next day. The new MK4 came with a leaky tandem pump and we were waiting for parts. The truck started having the fuel starvation issues again after about 40 miles. She limped it in to work and had it towed home. On my next day off, I dropped the tank myself. I had done this once before, when we first bought the truck, and it had looked shiny and clean inside. This time it looked foul. Probably from biodiesel residue, and water in the veggie oil. The in-tank filter was clogged. I treated the tank with POR-15 and removed the in-tank filter.

A couple of days later, I was at work, when my crying, very pregnant wife called to say that the head-gasket had blown on the truck. I told her to have the truck towed. She said that she only had one free tow left for the year and insisted that I leave work and come and help her limp the truck home 15 miles. I refused, and told her to have it towed so that we didn’t do more damage. Instead, she called our neighbor and he helped her limp it home.
      On my next day off, I checked it out and started disassembly.

Ordered a new head, and gasket, and bolts. Did the head-gasket fail because of the score marks to the water channel? Or was it that my mechanic friend simply ignored the Bentley manual, and under torqued the head? I went by his shop and told him about the gasket. He said “you know, some cars just aren’t meant to run.” I asked him if he used a torque wrench for the final tightening of the head bolts. He said that “yes, of course” he did. I told him that he hadn’t followed the manual then, because he should have finished with a breaker bar. I told him that the replacement head alone cost me $1200 and I would need him to pay for it or he wasn’t going to be able to keep pretending to be a professional mechanic in our little mountain town. He opted to leave town and change the name of his business. That suits me. He did lots of mediocre work for me for excellent prices over the years, but when he made a bad mistake that was the end of our relationship. I ended up having to pay back some or all of the money that had I saved over the years by using his services when I had to fix the mess he made on this job. I still like the guy enough to avoid using his name or the name of his businesses here. Anyway, the point of the story isn’t to defame this guy. Just to share my experience with the MK1 Vortex community, so we can all learn from it.

2012-2013: Having gone through all of this, I was determined to prove that this truck was ‘meant to run’. It was still rough around the edges, but it was actually a much more luxurious ride than the Thing that I was commuting in. So I started driving the truck to work and really started giving it some love. I sold the Thing (My first car) on Thesamba for a good price and shipped it to Florida.

I added an optional lift pump with a bypass in case I ever had gelling or clogging issues again (I haven’t). It’s also good for priming the IP, even if I have a fuel line leak.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q8DDYA...tex-convert-20

Replaced the injectors and adjusted the tuning for no-smoke and maximum fuel efficiency. Running at 0.90 timing. I could get more power, but not without brown smoke with the pedal to the floor. Mileage was and is around 39mpg in the mountains on my daily 10 mile (20 round trip) commute with three of those (six) off-pavement. I am satisfied with the acceleration and I love the torque.

2014: The paint chips on the rear fender were getting noticeable so I got some large size partial fender flares from MK1Autohaus. I mocked them up and they didn’t cover the chips, so I flipped them. I have always had mixed feelings about the result. I did another front end rebuild: Tie rods, ball joints, rack adjustment, wheel bearings. Did another brake job. I installed 6x9 speakers in the B-pillars (don’t judge me). I got custom plates and the ‘NONSMKR’ was born.

2015: My first attempt at a headliner was sagging and the roached dash was eating the fresh air vents that I kept replacing so I embarked on an ambitious (for me) interior rebuild. Very satisfying.

2016: Started on a lighting and chroming binge.

https://youtu.be/q8l-FsruMWg

https://youtu.be/_BSJhZ_WWaI

Straightened my front lip.

Upgraded to a MK3 wiper motor.

Fixed my vent-wings.

Upgraded my door handles, which have always been problematic, but less so recently.

Did I mention that it gets cold and snows here?

2017: Now I am assembling parts for a front and rear suspension upgrade with an eye towards off-pavement driving.

Hillbilly Spring pre-compressor:

I will also be doing a timing belt, which is now 9 years and 50,000 miles old. I am planning to upgrade the valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket to rubber from cork. I have new axles to install as well. With the suspension upgrade I am also returning to full GTI fender flares with mini hard-plastic mud guard extensions. I will just have to diligently rinse behind them, anyway the paint is seven years old.

My wife doesn’t really like to allocate time for frivolous upgrades, so I have to sneak them in when I am doing something that’s arguably necessary. With building a house, and rebuilding my F250 that someone smashed last winter, and working more than full time in the summer, I will get a little less than a week, sometime this fall or winter to install the new parts along with yearly maintenance.

At least I can sneak time here and there in the summer to buy parts, or write posts. Thanks for looking and for all the help and good ideas over the years.
      Last edited by mokoosh; 03-23-2018 at 01:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI # 963, A/C, 04 TR R32, 08 TR R32
      09-24-2017 08:48 PM #2
      Thank you. This was put together very nicely and was a pleasure to read. Will follow this! Good luck

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1980 Rabbit, 1999 Buick Regal Ls
      09-25-2017 02:47 AM #3
      Yes, thank you for the story and pictures. What a great history you have there. It really has become part of the family. Good luck with this and your house.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      81 caddy VNT MTDI 02a.
      09-25-2017 03:43 AM #4
      As the owner of a beige caddy since 2010 your story tugs my heart strings.

Nicely presented story.
      smiles per gallon in a tdi rabbit are unreal

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      09-25-2017 10:10 AM #5
      Thank you for reposting this and adding pics with your story! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the backing of that sweet plaid material when you covered your interior up? Do you have a template or did you just cut/freehand the entire headliner/interior? How did you attach it to the sheetmetal?

Once again, thanks for sharing and you have bolstered my ambition to try my hand at interior work on my caddy!
      82 Caddy diesel

Vehicles
      82 Rabbit Pickup 1.9D, 82 Jetta 1.9D, 06 MK4 Golf TDI, 2 81 Diesel Sandstone Caddys, 80 5DR
      09-25-2017 02:38 PM #6
      The interior LX board set came from: http://gti-motorsport.com/products-2...gen/mk1/caddy/

Really high quality boards. Unfortunately, no longer available as far as I know.

I used Barge cement to attach the fabric to the boards: https://www.amazon.com/Barge-All-pur.../dp/B00ANV704U

Good stuff. I have found a dozen more uses for it since I bought a quart for this project.

I learned the hard way that there is too much condensation (moisture) in the interior of the truck for any glue to hold fabric directly to the sheet-metal for very long. This is why stock headliners always come attached to a free floating board.

I see good used original boards come up in the MK1 parts forum and on Ebay occasionally.

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      09-26-2017 12:42 PM #7
      wow

good story

excellent photos!

Vehicles
      10-03-2017 04:49 PM #8

On a side note: I thought I would do a lunch-break (30 min.) mechanic job. I adjusted my door handles, again.

Then I tried to upgrade my wiper setup to intermittent with auto-parking. I popped out the jumper (another relay in my case, but probably just jumping what needed to be jumped) on the fuse/relay panel. Popped out the spacer that prevents the wiper switch arm from going down for intermittent. Put in the new intermittent relay and viola! it worked. I had intermittent and auto-parking. I had to set the park position at the motor arm. I was so happy!

When I went to drive home at the end of the day. I tried the washer jet; just to enjoy my work. (The washer jet activates the wipers for a few strokes automatically) The fuse blew.

I decided to blame the washer so I replaced the connections to it; they were ugly anyway. The fuse blew again.

Blew 3 more fuses including a 25amp that I threw in there cause I was running out of 20s. Usually the wipers worked for a few strokes before blowing the fuse.

So I took out my cool new relay and put the old one (jumper) back in. Wipers work. Washer works. Fuse seems to be holding. Everything back the way it was. I stared at the wiring diagrams in my Bentley manual for a while, nothing jumped out at me.

So…For now things are back as they were except that I have an extra position on my wiper switch arm. I guess next time that I can spare 30 minutes for this I will be under the dash, fuse/relay panel out, with my trusty volt/ohm meter looking for a short. If anyone has any suggestions I'm listening.

Vehicles
      01-04-2018 07:52 PM #9
      I finally finished all of my other higher priority duties, so I can give the NONSMKR an annual maintenance and fix a few things on the list in preparation for daily driving this truck for another year.

Here it is on it's last 200 mile round trip of the year, to the valley, in early December.

It really performed beautifully all year. about 4300 miles since last year's maintenance. No new fluid leaks! No drips in the parking lot. No major component failures. didn't have to reopen the dash, Really, that's as good as it gets. So, now I am taking a car that's running fine, and taking it apart to mess with it and change components.

Gave it a pressure wash before putting it in the "garage'. Blew off most of the cheap chrome. That's OK. there's more on the roll.

As work spaces go, this is an improvement. Best of all: there is no-one around for miles to distract me.

Pressure wash cleaned up the Engine compartment a little. Cost me half of my paint code sticker though.

Dug up the parts that I bought last summer.

Oops, looks like these need a lick of paint. It's 40 degrees out and raining, no problem. I'll take care of that this afternoon.

Preview of front suspension being removed.

I have started to worry a little about the Meyle strut mounts that I bought. It's a german company right? I use other Meyle components and have no complaints, but I have read a few horror stories lately about cheap mounts. Should I order a pair of Febis or use the Meyles that I have on there? I think I really just want it to have "Made in Germany" in big letters etched on the top my mounts. Can I spend $45 on Febis without my wife noticing?

Goodbye to rabbit mudflaps. They have had a full life.

Hello to refurbished OEM GTI full fender flares.

Where would I be without poprivets and zipties?

OK. Time to get this puppy airborne and take those shoes off.

I will update as I go. I am going back to my full-time day job on Monday, so this will be a weekend thing over the next few weeks (months?). I guess I will have to drive something else for a while.
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      facebook...pfft. vwvortex baby!
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY
      My Butte Whip: 82 Jetta Build
      perpetual online swap-meet(V2.3 FSOT: GTI Ashtray)

12. Member
      01-05-2018 10:45 AM #10
      Meyle is cheap junk. Does that mean all their products are terrible, no. As a shop owner, I deal with Worldpac several times a day, if Meyle, Uro, and other cheap companies are the only option, then I usually ask the return rate. Most of the time, it's pretty high. I once needed a coil for an Audi V6 and the return rate on everyone they had were over 50%, Meyle was the highest at 64%.

If you got the Meyle's installed, I would wait till they failed. Then I would purchase the Febi's. It would not be a bad idea to buy the Febi's now since you never know when/if they will stop making them.
      Last edited by Butcher; 01-05-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Vehicles
      01-05-2018 10:54 AM #11
      Thanks for the push. I Will get a pair of Febi (Bilstien)s headed this way.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

14. Member
      01-05-2018 11:21 AM #12
      I'm restoring my wife's Cabriolet and they had Febi's in them when I replace the front suspension. The difference from the new Febi's and the old ones [10+ yo] were negligible. Matter of fact, if they were not dirty, they could of passed for new. I saved them for my daughters mounts when it becomes time to fix hers up.

Vehicles
      01-05-2018 10:59 PM #13
      I'm restoring my wife's Cabriolet and they had Febi's in them when I replace the front suspension. The difference from the new Febi's and the old ones [10+ yo] were negligible. Matter of fact, if they were not dirty, they could of passed for new. I saved them for my daughters mounts when it becomes time to fix hers up.
      Maybe I could re-use the set that's been on the truck for the last six years. They look OK from the top.

Anyway, I ordered a new set this morning. $47 delivered Ebay.

I am spending nearly $1000 in parts for this suspension upgrade and I want to do it right the first time, if I can.

Looks like I already had a set of helper springs. I just never noticed that they weren't part of the stock setup. Well, that explains why the tires didn't rub when my wife brought home a 1/2 ton of clay in the bed a few years ago.

That also means that the new setup could be potentially softer than what I am used to. Looks like I could throw these or another helper set on after the fact if I am not happy with the stiffness of the add-a-leaf without helper.

The KYBs that I put in 12 years ago are ugly, but equal to each other and a bit stiffer than the new Bilsteins. The fitment of the new shocks looks nearly identical and the eyelets fit my hardware. These are modified Volvo wagon shocks courtesy of 'Missing LinkZ' at http://www.4crawler.com.

The old spring and shackle bushings look to be in excellent shape for 36 years and around 300,000 miles. They were snug in the housings. The new ones look to be a good match size wise.

The first helper spring was a bear to get loose. Amazingly, I got it off without cutting it. I may have killed my compressor though, hoping it's a bad ground and I can fix it in the morning, because I still have the other one to remove.

I did get the other spring assembly off the truck. I could not get the exhaust apart, so despite what Bentley says you can get the springs off without fully removing the exhaust. I am not sure that I will be able to get it back on with the new bushings, though. It was an issue of needing another few millimeters to remove the front spring bolt next to the muffler, so I flexed it out. That worked because the bushings are flexible rubber.

Now the axle is sitting on blocks, still attached to the truck only by brake lines and cables. I would love to take it out and paint it, but opening the brake system, which is working perfectly, is not on the list for this year.Bentley didn't say that you could do both sides at once either, but I want to clean and paint, and I am not doing it twice.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      01-06-2018 12:19 PM #14
      Once again, excellent write up and thank you for providing those links to 4 crawler. It's giving me ideas about replacing my rear shocks...
      82 Caddy diesel

17. Member
      01-08-2018 02:12 AM #15
      What's happening to the old mud flaps?

Vehicles
      01-08-2018 03:28 PM #16
      I am not sure.

I have a hard time throwing anything away. I don't think they would be worth shipping though. Warped and curled.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

19. Member
      01-08-2018 11:00 PM #17
      I'm curious if there's a way to flatten them out with a bit of heat and some weight or a press or vice. They match my floor mats.

Vehicles
      01-08-2018 11:39 PM #18
      They're already weighted and riveted.

If you really want them, and you are in no hurry....
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

Vehicles
      01-09-2018 12:30 AM #19

Maybe I'll just crawl on under there with a wire brush and some paint. or not.

Oil and ball joint press was not easy. So I thought I would use one of the bolts from the rear shackle to press out the metal core of the bushing on the second one to see if it was any better. Of course I did it hillbilly style.

Just leave overnight.

and in the morning.

I think what really worked best was patience and oil.

patience is not the name of my hammer.

re-using these I guess. I could fabricate replacements for the partially rusted metal ones, but I only need it to last another 36 years so...

All apart. now lets clean.

One of the tabs cracked when I bent it up. I want to take these to someone who knows how to weld to get that reinforced or it will break off. Other ideas?

Until next weekend, I will dream of plaid.
      Last edited by mokoosh; 01-29-2018 at 12:42 PM.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

22. Member
      01-09-2018 01:21 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mokoosh View Post
      They're already weighted and riveted.

If you really want them, and you are in no hurry....
      No rush at all. I'm in the Bay Area, I'm sure there will be some cause for convergence sooner or later.

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      01-09-2018 01:38 PM #21
      I love the name of your hammer... hehehe... Keep these amazing updates going!
      82 Caddy diesel

Vehicles
      01-16-2018 02:55 PM #22
      I made a new friend at a welding shop in town. He was working on an early eighties Westfalia Vanagon when I showed up at his shop. It had a later 1.9L TDI in it. We chatted about VWs for a bit. Turns out that we have another VW enthusiast friend in common that had told him about the suspension mods that I had done to my wife’s Golf, which I was driving at the time.

He didn’t want to charge me anything for the reinforcing the tabs, which he did on the spot. Thanks Matt!

If I had read (and understood) the instructions more carefully, I would have realized that the metal sleeves needed to be pressed out of the front spring eyelets.

Done. Not so hard with a slide hammer.

Filed down the welds.

Finished cleaning the spring parts.

Treated for rust with Plastikote.

Greased and assembled with add-a-leaf. I re-centered the holes in the metal bearing plate.

Brushed-on implement paint on the assembled spring pack.

Silver for the rest of the hardware.

Decided to go ahead and clean-up the axle. Really not so bad, I was able to rotate and move it around to get into the nooks.

Plastikoted.

Then the implement paint. I had extra, so I did the wheel wells. It won’t be gloss for long.

“The old spring and shackle bushings look to be in excellent shape for 36 years and around 300,000 miles. They were snug in the housings. The new ones look to be a good match size wise.”

Jinx. I checked everything (I think), for fitment and ran into a few minor hiccups:

The rear bushings could be snugger in the spring eyelets so I ordered another set of shrink tubing from Roger at 4crawler.

The front bushings fit the original bolts. In fact it has a little wiggle room. I don’t think it will be a problem though. However…

The rear bushing aluminum centers are milled to the same ID as the fronts. The rear bolts however, have a thicker shaft. I am planning on freehand drilling these out to fit. I am ordering a 17/32” drill bit for the purpose.
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

Vehicles
      01-22-2018 12:04 PM #23
      So, I emailed Roger last Friday afternoon about needing more sleeves, got a response Friday night, and he had them out in the mail on Saturday! I had them by Thursday afternoon, and I had everything that I needed to finish up the rear suspension and get it back on the ground this weekend. Larger companies could learn a thing or two about customer service from Missing Linkz.

225F for 10 minutes.

Drilling. Should have gone 35/64” or metric, duh. I couldn’t figure out where I put my micrometer last weekend, so I did my best deductive estimate and came up with 17/32”, which was just a bit too small still. I spent some time with a chainsaw file to open them up some more after drilling.

Pressing things together.

The fronts were a near perfect fit. I was able to start them into the bracket by hand with the washers, just barely.

Got a chance to visit my optional lift pump with bypass. I can’t believe that this thing isn’t leaking yet!

It’s as if the old U-bolts were sized with add-a-leaf in mind. Perfect fit!

Trimmed a new-to-me driver-rear fender-flare. A little from the rear bottom and some modification to the front at the body flare (not shown).

Never did have to remove the rear exhaust. Just the hangers and lots of messing around. I can see that it would have been much easier with it off, if it would have come off.

Beautiful! I can hardly wait to get out on the road and pelt it with rocks!

Front end preview. Plans include shock towers, A-arms, Axles, Pan-gasket, Valve-cover gasket, timing belt, and 5000 mile maintenance. Next weekend.

Winter finally showed up, so rather than get into the front end work, I re-silvered my winter wheels.

Thanks for all the views. I am sure that this stuff is yawn for you MK1 race-car builders, but I hope that some of you amateurs like myself will find this helpful. If nothing else, I will have a record of what I did, because my memory isn’t what it used to be. Until next week….
      The NONSMKR now LE1ZCDY

Vehicles
      82 VW Caddy diesel
      01-22-2018 01:50 PM #24
      Fantastic update as always!
      82 Caddy diesel

27. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Caddy 1.7L
      01-23-2018 05:20 PM #25
      Love the plaid! was thinking about doing this to mine, now im officially sold on it!

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast