VWVortex.com - 1999 12 Valve VR6 Eurovan engine swap too a 24 Valve VR6 out of a Jetta. Need a few parts.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 12 Valve VR6 Eurovan engine swap too a 24 Valve VR6 out of a Jetta. Need a few parts.

1. 10-06-2017 06:25 PM #1
      Hello all, Its been a few years. I have a new projects that I need help with. I just pulled out a 12v VR6 engine that spun the timing chains and bent a few valves. I found a good running VR6 24 valve engine up in Anchorage that I would like to repower this van with. Do I need to change the ECU or can I just put on the 12v VR6 intake.

I also had a issue of breaking the speedo pick up unit on the axel. So I need some Axel parts on the passanger side of this auto 1999 van. Car slipped off the jack as I was putting jack stands under the car. First time for everything and I am to blame. I need a drivers side engine mount as well.

Hope you can help me, no parts EV's in this part of Alaska. (Homer)

Kind Regards,

Carl

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      10-06-2017 11:24 PM #2
      Please help this person. They are literally at the end of the road!

tapped out with a thumb or two...

4. Member
      10-09-2017 05:52 PM #3
      You'll definitely need the ECU. I'm not sure how well documented this swap is for Eurovans, but doing some Googling should turn up some Jetta/GTI swaps.

The intake from the 12v will not work on the 24v VR6. You'll need either some custom setup or a Eurovan-specific 24v intake manifold and assorted parts.

In short: It's definitely doable but very little on the motor itself is transferable.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 10-09-2017 07:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by xinnar View Post
      You'll definitely need the ECU. I'm not sure how well documented this swap is for Eurovans, but doing some Googling should turn up some Jetta/GTI swaps.

The intake from the 12v will not work on the 24v VR6. You'll need either some custom setup or a Eurovan-specific 24v intake manifold and assorted parts.

In short: It's definitely doable but very little on the motor itself is transferable.
      If going 24V, you need one from a manual-transmission Mk4 Golf/Jetta for the bolt holes to match up from what I understand.

You also might well served by a 12V from a Mk3 Golf/Jetta or a B3-B4 Passat. Those supposedly swap right in and work with the Eurovan ancillary parts and ECU.

7. Member
      10-09-2017 09:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      If going 24V, you need one from a manual-transmission Mk4 Golf/Jetta for the bolt holes to match up from what I understand..
      For the intake manifold? The intake manifold is VERY different on a 24V Eurovan than on a 24V MKIV, unfortunately. You'll need the EV specific intake manifold, or some custom work done. The former is most likely cheaper/less painful.

8. 10-10-2017 03:09 PM #6
      No sorry, I meant the engine. Manual trans BDF motor mates to the 01P Eurovan trans. Automatic Mk4 VR6 motors don't all totally match up to trans bolt holes.

9. 10-10-2017 03:11 PM #7
      See this thread and the posts in there by user "rensho":

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...with-a-BDF-VR6

Manual trans 24V motor from Mk4 works according to what he says. There's also mention of someone else using a AAA code 12V motor from a B4 Passat.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      02 EVW VR6, 05 Jetta Wagon 1.8t. 02 Jetta 2.0,
      10-10-2017 06:05 PM #8
      Carl - I think it will be 10 times easier if you find another 12v Vr6 (should be more abundant and cheaper too). If there are no Eurovan parts around to be salvaged, the 24v Eurovan intake alone will be murder to ship up.

Axle components off of Rockauto are cheap: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/emai...ssembly%2C2288

11. Member
      10-10-2017 07:27 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      No sorry, I meant the engine. Manual trans BDF motor mates to the 01P Eurovan trans. Automatic Mk4 VR6 motors don't all totally match up to trans bolt holes.
      That's very odd. AFAIK the mounting points are identical on the BDF regardless of auto or manual. Many GTI/Jetta swap threads will tell this. I'm not sure if the 01P uses a different mounting sequence, though.

There are a LOT of misconceptions out there about the BDF/AXK motors, for some reason.

I just did some searching of photos for the blocks and can't see any bolt hole differences. I wonder what rensho meant. Photos from them would have been nice.

I guess to be on the safe side getting a donor from a manual-trans car could be smart.

12. 10-10-2017 09:20 PM #10
      Thanks all. I will do a road trip up to Anchorage in the very near future for parts hunting. I just got 48 yards of pit run dumped off in my drive way. THis will build up a flatter work spot for staging and working on my VW's. I have about 35 parts and project cars. I love the vans the most. I need to drive out of Alaska this winter or I'm going to go mental. Its been about 15 years with out a break from the ice and snow. Makes for fun rally driving, but I only have one point left or I will loose my license.

If any one of you gets to Homer and needs some VW service, everyone knows about Carl and his collection dubs.

Best regards,

Carl

13. 10-11-2017 02:23 AM #11
      Thats a new parts source for me, thanks.

Homer Ak is a cool place to live, lots of ice and snow. 2 nights of frost and the wind is wiping up outside. All I think about is getting ready for another winter.

Carl

14. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Eurovan LWB, 07 Camry, 95 B4V, 73 914, 04 Odyssey
      10-15-2017 11:32 PM #12
      I scrapped a 24v VR6 Eurovan and have an intake manifold laying around.
      $30 plus shipping if you're interested...
      PM me for fastest response if you are!

15. 05-20-2020 01:19 AM #13
      Hello,i have some troubles with Eurovan.Friend of mine just blow his engine and want me to swap another with more power.Old engine is 12v AES with automatic transmission. Since i can't find 24v out of T4 in my country,what would be my best option to mate engine with this auto tranny?