VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Turning an old 1920's Ford Garage into a DIY Garage

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG ect..
      01-06-2020 10:18 AM #501
      Quote Originally Posted by ArclitGold View Post
      Holy moly that wood is gorgeous! Your work looks impeccable. Just out of curiosity, did you do foam insulation only?
      Thanks! It will be a great center piece of the bathroom...makes it worth moving time and time again over 10 years.

4" of ridged foil foam, with spray sealing each of the 2" layers. An additional 1" will be spaced off 1/2" that will seal the entire surface to prevent bleed through from the wall joists.

Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      Looks great
      Thanks Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      I don't see any problem. That's the way it should be done.

Made some more progress this weekend with some of the wall tiling going up as well as some other parts in continuing to move forward.

First up was to clean up the disaster of the welding area that seemed to just end up as a catch all as of late.

With the welding area cleaned up and some other garage cleanup from last weekends cutting and milling, was able to spot weld the cross bar and weld up the other bracket. No just have to do the last test fit then paint.

Tile is coming along nicely with the saddle being cut this week, should have that for mid week which will allow for the lower courses to be run.

Next up was to protect the Mahogany when milling the sink drain and the faucet hole

Cannot say how good it feels to be moving forward with some of the details coming together on the bathroom, the goal of functioning bathroom for end of January seems within grasp! One of the issues ran into with the sink drain is that the drain only has 2" of thread and the Mahogany is 2" thick, so the drain area under the back side will have to be milled out. How to hold something like this on a Bridgeport will be interesting as due to the size limitations.
      Last edited by TheDeckMan; 01-06-2020 at 11:58 AM.
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-06-2020 11:23 AM #502
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      I don't see any problem. That's the way it should be done.

Edit because I found this ridiculousness and naturally had to add it.

Last edited by Air and water do mix; 01-06-2020 at 11:26 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      01-06-2020 11:55 AM #503
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Edit because I found this ridiculousness and naturally had to add it.

rofl
      -Noah

Vehicles
      01-10-2020 10:18 AM #504
      Some more weekly progress as continued push on the bathroom drags on, fired up the heat in the garage with it being bitterly cold outside and moved the counter piece back onto the Bridgeport for milling the underside I had forgot how easy it is to mill wood. Coming from daily machining nickle alloys which can be a total PITA, the Mahogany machines like butter with a high speed steel end mill.

Using one of the hard jaws as a clamp did the trick!

Then a light sanding to soften the edges after machining the pocket for the sink drain nut

Once that was done it was some time for Tung oil to bring back the luster of the wood and to protect it. It took two coats last night and one more this morning, a couple more coats today and tomorrow should do it.

The stone shop finished up the shower shelves which the grain came out crazy in the stone!

The weekend and early next week is going to be a big push as the plumber is showing up Thursday to install the water supply and drains. Not time to sleep!
      -Noah

6. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-10-2020 10:37 AM #505
      Looks fantastic!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      01-10-2020 01:56 PM #506
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Looks fantastic!
      Thanks! It is the project that keeps going on and on
      -Noah

Vehicles
      14 Boxster 12 Wrangler
      01-10-2020 06:10 PM #507
      I am continually amazed by the things you can do.

Vehicles
      01-13-2020 12:11 PM #508
      Quote Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
      I am continually amazed by the things you can do.
      Thank you for the complements!

Weekend started off with wrapping up the final welding and test fitting up the floor support. so now can do the final flat black painting and install later this week.

The counter for the bathroom sink did not come out as well as expected with having some strange areas of more gloss than others where the MinWax Tung oil dried weird, so spent some time stripping that down and reapplying Hoppes Tung Oil...pictures of that to come! To strip back the MinWax, was hitting it with 220 grit, then using acetone to clean it, then let air dry for 36 hours.

The stone shelves will go nicely with the tile, as will the threshold that picked up late Friday night.

On to the fun stuff, with the wall tiling going to be done early next week I needed to get the holes in for the lights in the shower and remove the old fan. The new fan will be in the shower to pull all the moisture out. Now have to cut the hole for the fan and then mount things so that the ceiling can get tiled to prevent moisture issues. Originally I was going to use an old look of textured mudding of the ceiling but after some conversations with my old man who did the same and had issues with it staining, so another revision will be needed to figure out the ceiling in the shower.

Measured out the new recessed lighting and drilled holes for each of those in the hallway and bathroom

In drilling the hole for the light above the toilet, the 6" hole saw got yanked out my hands and into the ceiling Pulling on it felt springy, I pulled it would pull back.....Now you would perhaps expect some old knob and tube wiring to pull out when you finish yanking it out...what came out was entirely different. First wrapped around the hole saw was some tights...followed by a brake line, a solid iron fender support, some gas tank strapping and old electrical cord that had been removed from something. I guess people were really kinky in the old days

With that done decided to move the vanity and toilet to the 3rd floor bathroom...damn stairs Time to wrap up the base boards and then the plumber can hook everything up.

Another weekend in old building life
      Last edited by TheDeckMan; 01-13-2020 at 03:55 PM.
      -Noah

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-13-2020 02:51 PM #509
      Successful weekend!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      01-13-2020 06:39 PM #510
      Weird mix of stuff to pull out of a ceiling. That stuff has probably been there since the 30's. Lol.
      DCIVW
      CE.

12. Member
      01-14-2020 01:35 AM #511
      Woo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      GOLF 99, 18 Nismo Econobox
      01-14-2020 03:25 PM #512
      Holy smokes.. i just went over this thread in 2 days, i used to follow it but kind of loss track due to work.

Amazing job, you are full of skills and it seems you are enjoying yourself....

Vehicles
      01-14-2020 03:56 PM #513
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Successful weekend!
      Yep, mostly all success!

Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Weird mix of stuff to pull out of a ceiling. That stuff has probably been there since the 30's. Lol.
      Right? Many strange things have been discovered...cannot wait until digging into the attic

Quote Originally Posted by ArclitGold View Post
      Woo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by SICKVDUB1 View Post
      Holy smokes.. i just went over this thread in 2 days, i used to follow it but kind of loss track due to work.

Amazing job, you are full of skills and it seems you are enjoying yourself....

Thanks!
      -Noah

15. 01-17-2020 09:33 AM #514
      If you have never been, the Putney General Store right in downtown Putney has an AMAZING deli counter with all kinds of good stuff and they make incredible sandwiches. After that if you feel like it you can just get on Route 5 and enjoy some really nice driving and scenery.

Vehicles
      01-17-2020 11:55 AM #515
      Quote Originally Posted by cotton.mattias View Post
      If you have never been, the Putney General Store right in downtown Putney has an AMAZING deli counter with all kinds of good stuff and they make incredible sandwiches. After that if you feel like it you can just get on Route 5 and enjoy some really nice driving and scenery.
      Driven by there quite a few times, I will have to add it to the list of spots to stop once the driving season starts again

Well finally got the 9-3 Aero back after having some more coding done as both front window switches were causing issues with playing nice with the new CIM/Ignition switch. Took some time to throw it up on the lift and yank the bumper off to replace the lights.

Whatever this exhaust was made from has a million little pin holes. A new 304ss one is on the way which should hold up well in New England winters.

Front end came apart easy enough, first thing was to plug the headlight washers. Don't need them removing the wax from the new lights.

Of course with old cars it seems like ghetto wiring for the alarm horn is par for the course. This will need to be fixed.

New bumper that does not have a smashed up lip and missing grille bits.

If all goes well next week the exhaust will show up and can get that on with some fresh tires on the back of the car, then off for an inspection and shake down miles.

Total repairs:
      Hood
      Right doors
      Front bumper
      Lights
      CIM
      Ignition
      Alternator
      Battery fuse cable
      Drivers window switch
      Passenger window switch
      Control arms & end links
      Front and rear seats
      Exhaust
      Spark plugs
      Module programming

Total parts and labor for programming ~ $2250 (car was $500), the body parts were scored cheap from a junk yard and in the same color, seats were scored cheap from FB market place. It is amazing how much you can get for these cars as there are a ton of 9-3ss out there and people sell parts for pennies on the dollar vs a VW/Audi product.
      -Noah

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021