Great work, fantastic old building

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-03-2017 12:31 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Harrison. View Post
      That's what we did in our shop since it's got a loft, we've got that's raised and lowered with a pulley system and a WARN electric winch. Works really well.
      An electric winch is perfect for that job. 1/2 of the mechanical issues solve themselves with that. Pretty please pics of pulleys perchance? I'd like to see how that's laid out.

You can buy dumb waiters as a kit, but I just don't think that'd be "right" in this old building. It needs some age appropriate bits to make it fit the feel of the building.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-03-2017 12:50 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      An electric winch is perfect for that job. 1/2 of the mechanical issues solve themselves with that. Pretty please pics of pulleys perchance? I'd like to see how that's laid out.

You can buy dumb waiters as a kit, but I just don't think that'd be "right" in this old building. It needs some age appropriate bits to make it fit the feel of the building.
      Agreed, using an old or aged pulley system in combination with using a channel/tube guide might do the trick with some good time put into it. Thanks guys for another project to add to the short list
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

5. 11-03-2017 01:01 PM #54
      Wow, this place is definitely Darnell approved!

Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-03-2017 01:10 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDeckMan View Post
      Agreed, using an old or aged pulley system in combination with using a channel/tube guide might do the trick with some good time put into it. Thanks guys for another project to add to the short list
      Yesssss. With little space or time I have to live vicariously through others. Thanks for coming through for me!

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-13-2017 06:43 PM #56
      Progress over the past two weeks has been slow but still moving along. The other ram on the fork truck decided to give up the ghost so that was first priority to fix. Pretty straight forward considering that it looks like it has not been apart since 1970's. I had the method down pretty solid from doing the first one earlier this fall and with having all the parts on hand it made it only a half day project. HGM is a great source for parts for these old fork trucks.

Leaking seals seen here, I did not want to have to spend hours cleaning up hydraulic oil off the freshly painted floors.

First thing was to disconnect the chains.

Using a strap wrench was the quick trick to break the collar free where I could then use a drift punch to rotate the collar quickly out. Note the strap threaded through the bearing housing to be able to lift the cylinder out. At 60+lbs it is always a fun experience added with wearing hydraulic oil

Cracked seal and trashed wiper seal

Putting the seals into a plastic ziplock bag then heating up water to get them pliable on a hot plate does the trick to get them to slide right into the gland nut

More progress on the stairs as things are getting a bit cold these past couple nights as winter seems to be coming. Using the fork truck to catch the stucco and debris from opening up the hole further now that it does not leak all over the floor worked pretty well.

Stairs framed in between the platform and the attic

Took a quick trip down Friday night to drop off the Street TT to its new owner in PA and pick up a MK2 GTi heading up to Maine for a friend in a quick 24 hour tour of the north east.

Good bye TT

MK2 loaded up to bring back to Mass.

Sunday was able to then tackle the lift raising. Taking each post outside and using the strap method was able to right them up and bring them in.

"Does not matter if it clears by half an inch or a mile. Clearing is clearing! "

There is some sag to the I-beam which resulted in measuring to find the high spot to be able to snake the lift in on the forks. At first attempt I was like "Ah crap I am going to have to lay them back down and have someone help lift them up in place...." But alas things just sort of worked out!

First one in position. Placed them on cardboard to prevent marring up the floors while doing final positioning them. Walking them off the forks was one of the more sketchy moments of the day as it required all 150lbs of me bear hugging the thing to get it to move.

Placed second post and time to call it a day. Going to tackle the rest of assembly this week and wiring to hopefully be operational this weekend or next to be able to replace the downpipe on the Saab.
      -Noah

8. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-13-2017 07:54 PM #57
      Wait... you have that killer shop space and a MkII GTI. I don’t like,you any more.

Also, how do you get the cardboard out?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI
      11-13-2017 08:19 PM #58
      Set it on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach700 View Post
      In the absence of Wars, people become lazy and sex slaves (not everybody).

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      11-14-2017 10:31 AM #59
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-14-2017 12:33 PM #60
      Wait... you have that killer shop space and a MkII GTI. I don’t like,you any more.

Well the MK2 is only doing a short stay until it continues its travel north to its new owner

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction View Post
      Set it on fire.

mmmmmm......fire......

I will most likely trim the cardboard to the base are and then slide it out after done shifting them into final position prior to anchoring them down.
      -Noah

12. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-14-2017 12:35 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction View Post
      Set it on fire.

I was thinking to cut it down to a little bigger than the footprint, loosely bolt it to the floor and rock to one side to partially remove, rock to the other side to finish. Repeat as necessary. If some stayed underneath just retorque as the cardboard rots.

You know, because fire bad.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-14-2017 12:38 PM #62
      Well the MK2 is only doing a short stay until it continues its travel north to its new owner
      Awwwww.

mmmmmm......fire......

I will most likely trim the cardboard to the base are and then slide it out after done shifting them into final position prior to anchoring them down.
      Tricky. Just stay safe... Dems is heavy!

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-14-2017 01:08 PM #63
      I was thinking to cut it down to a little bigger than the footprint, loosely bolt it to the floor and rock to one side to partially remove, rock to the other side to finish. Repeat as necessary. If some stayed underneath just retorque as the cardboard rots.

You know, because fire bad.
      Rocking them is how I got them into place so far from bringing them in on the forks. Just requires a good bit of patience and not getting greedy with it has to be done right meow.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-20-2017 05:40 PM #64
      So this weekend had some slow moving progress in the way of getting the lift in final position thanks to @secondgen and @vwjunkie42 who stopped by to lend a hand. Next up is to just finish the wiring and leveling of the arms.

With the stairs all finished, it was time to turn some of the old shipping brackets from the lift into some support brackets for the stairs.

So broke out the plasma cutter and chopped some sections to take back down to the shop on Sunday to machine up.

Milled and drilled for lag bolts

Next up was to move the Bendpak scissor lift from the other bay into the main center area. First had to go dig this plate of steel out of storage to set the lift onto to prevent marring up the floor.

Then with some brute force and use of the fork truck was able to slide it carefully onto the steel plate.
      -Noah

16. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rabbit, 85 Gti, 94 Jetta, 87 Gti16V, and 01 Gti.
      11-26-2017 11:35 AM #65
      Hey Noah, took a drive by there yesterday saw you working on things. Just wanted to say you're doing some awesome work with the place! I remember when Robs Auto Body was next to your shop. It's nice to see this happening in more or less my backyard!
      -Dylan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '17 PRO-4X | '13 135is | '10 Clubman S | '97 M3 | '92 Golf | '88 Jetta
      11-26-2017 02:37 PM #66
      What a great space! You're living the bachelor car guy's dream right there my man.

Excellent work so far.
      Dirtbox Radio Drum & Bass
      Previous: '94 Ranger|'03 20AE GTI*|'88 Ranger|'98 A4*|'08 Cooper S|'07 Cooper S|'83 GTI|'98 Golf*|'81 Caddy*|'81 Jetta Coupe|'99 AMG C43|'93 Golf *|'84 GTI #3*|'95 Golf Sport|'88 Nova|'84 GTI #2*|'92 Jetta|'84 GTI|'93 Audi 90|'93 Civic|'86 240 Wagon (*= Project/Parts Car)

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-27-2017 09:05 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by dviking mk2 View Post
      Hey Noah, took a drive by there yesterday saw you working on things. Just wanted to say you're doing some awesome work with the place! I remember when Robs Auto Body was next to your shop. It's nice to see this happening in more or less my backyard!
      -Dylan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
      Thanks Dylan! Saw you cruising by!

Quote Originally Posted by odj View Post
      What a great space! You're living the bachelor car guy's dream right there my man.

Excellent work so far.

With a long Thanksgiving weekend it made for some time to get some things moved around and out of the way for wall/ceiling painting. So first up was to move all the wheels and tires out of the east bay to be able to move the wood working stuff into that area.

Up and down stairs made for a great morning exercise. Then followed by a couple hundred old WWII books that needed a better home than sitting on the floor in the garage.

Then came time to move all the wood working stuff out of the way to be able to address some peeling paint.

Not going to lie, this straight up sucked to scrape off all this paint from what looks like old water damage.

Lots of paint chips

By this time Jeremy (secondgen) and Rick (sir8valve) stopped by to lend a hand with the first round of painting. I have to say many thanks again guys as it was a lot of work to attempt to knock it out in an afternoon.

First coat by the stairs area

The entrance to the east bay, with that wonderful parting line between the old once was white and the new white paint.

Where the stock rack use to be and with the first coat of paint. Some areas will not need two coats, but areas like this will get two coats due to the staining.

Outside wall to the assembly/parts room with all the holes in the sheet rock filled.

Can thank Jeremy for this great pano shot
      -Noah

19. 11-27-2017 09:25 AM #68
      Very nice. Looks like good work. Are the stairs going to stay as "feats of strength" or will you put on railings? I figure if you leave them, darwin will work his magic. right?

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-27-2017 09:48 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteAZ View Post
      Very nice. Looks like good work. Are the stairs going to stay as "feats of strength" or will you put on railings? I figure if you leave them, darwin will work his magic. right?
      Thanks! Yeah once the stairs are painted up I will be doing some railings that are removable at least on the end so if needing to bring something awkward up into the attic it will be easier. Plus having railings will finish the overall look and safety of the stairs.
      -Noah

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      11-27-2017 10:02 AM #70
      This shop is so cool. Deserves to be a vintage TV/movie set someday.

I see so many old 'garages' just falling apart that have been left to crumble. Really neat to actually preserve one.

Aand I don't know whose is whose but jealous of having both the 996.2 and the 928. Looking at it now it seems to be various guests... now a 997, TT, etc.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      11-27-2017 10:27 AM #71
      Wow, this looks awesome man good work. And here I was bitching about getting my dining room painted by Thanksgiving.

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-27-2017 10:41 AM #72
      It's looking even better!

Once everything else is done are you thinking about painting the lift? It'd look fantastic with old industrial green paint and black. Perhaps green/brown or green/tan.

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      11-27-2017 01:16 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      This shop is so cool. Deserves to be a vintage TV/movie set someday.

I see so many old 'garages' just falling apart that have been left to crumble. Really neat to actually preserve one.

Aand I don't know whose is whose but jealous of having both the 996.2 and the 928. Looking at it now it seems to be various guests... now a 997, TT, etc.
      Thanks! Yeah it has been a long road so far and still many more weekends and years to go! The 928 belongs to secondgen that needs some good loving after the waterpump ate into the block

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Wow, this looks awesome man good work. And here I was bitching about getting my dining room painted by Thanksgiving.
      Some times it just takes some good old brute force and sheer will power to get projects rolling along. I always try to lay out a plan and pick away every night for an hour or two. This keeps the ball rolling and allows tasking smaller projects that all combined could easily take up an entire day on the weekend, but singly picking one a night tends to work out well. This I always finds allows for the weekends or holidays to be big day projects that require extensive works.

It's looking even better!

Once everything else is done are you thinking about painting the lift? It'd look fantastic with old industrial green paint and black. Perhaps green/brown or green/tan.

Hadn't thought about that yet........crap guess another project added to the list
      -Noah

25. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      11-27-2017 01:37 PM #74
      Hadn't thought about that yet........crap guess another project added to the list

But it'll look great!

Vehicles
      '18 Volvo V60CC
      11-27-2017 03:33 PM #75
      Looks really good!

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast