Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homelink mirror install DIY

1. Junior Member
      08-13-2019 01:47 PM #51
      It looks like the Golf R-line mirror install would be the same as the Tiguan SEL-P. Check out this video for those who have done it. It was just plug and play, although the guy had a hard time getting the new mirror to twist on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGOHgjXj2c

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-13-2019 08:54 PM #52
      Has anyone attempted to install the Prism Rearview Mirror With HomeLink instead? This one doesn't require the wiring and looks like it runs off an internal battery. It is also about half of the price. I have a 2019 Tiguan SE so it looks like I will have to run the wiring and this might make it easier?

Example link for the mirror - https://www.vwpartswarehouse.com/p/V...00072548J.html

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      08-14-2019 01:07 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by pyoungworth View Post
      Has anyone attempted to install the Prism Rearview Mirror With HomeLink instead? This one doesn't require the wiring and looks like it runs off an internal battery. It is also about half of the price. I have a 2019 Tiguan SE so it looks like I will have to run the wiring and this might make it easier?

Example link for the mirror - https://www.vwpartswarehouse.com/p/V...00072548J.html
      The wiring is no big deal at all, really just plug and play to the headlight switch. But with that being cheaper, could be worth it. I probably would have gone that route for the simplicity if I wasn't also running wiring for a dash cam at the same time. I wonder how long the battery is good for.
      Last edited by socialD; 08-14-2019 at 01:12 AM.

Vehicles
      2018 VW Tiguan SE
      08-14-2019 01:38 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by pyoungworth View Post

Is this mirror self dimming? Does this mirror also include a compass? To some these features might justify the higher price (and running a wire).

Have Fun!

Don
      2009 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten)
      2018 VW Tiguan SE - Pure White with NO sunroof (I live in the desert), but I did get fog lights.

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6MT 19 Tiguan SELP-RLine
      08-14-2019 07:57 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by not_too_shabyy View Post
      So for the R-line SEL premium, what does plug and play mean? I assume you don't have to run the wire down the A pillar? Can someone post instructions for cars that are "plug and play"?
      Yes, you just swap the mirror since the SEL Premium already has an auto dimming mirror. Homelink works fine.
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Build Thread: Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned: 93oct @ 28psi 6MT (Launch Control/No Lift Shift/Haldex Tune)
      Best 1/4: 12.4 @ 112mph (1.82 60ft)

Vehicles
      16 Golf R Oryx 6MT 19 Tiguan SELP-RLine
      08-14-2019 07:58 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by not_too_shabyy View Post
      It looks like the Golf R-line mirror install would be the same as the Tiguan SEL-P. Check out this video for those who have done it. It was just plug and play, although the guy had a hard time getting the new mirror to twist on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGOHgjXj2c
      Yes, I did the same as this video.
      Instagram: @miamibournes_golfr
      Build Thread: Golf R Build
      United Motorsport Tuned: 93oct @ 28psi 6MT (Launch Control/No Lift Shift/Haldex Tune)
      Best 1/4: 12.4 @ 112mph (1.82 60ft)

8. Junior Member
      08-14-2019 09:23 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
      Yes, I did the same as this video.
      Did you have much problem getting the new one to twist on like the guy in the video?

9. 08-14-2019 12:28 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
      Is this mirror self dimming?
      From the manufacturer:
      • BATTERY OPERATED: Non-serviceable, long life, lithium metal battery
      • EASY 5-MINUTE INSTALL: No wires
      • FRAMELESS DESIGN: Enhanced aesthetics to complement any vehicle interior
      • CAR-TO-HOME AUTOMATION: Control garage doors, gates, home lighting, and more
      • INTEGRATED HOMELINK 5: 99% compatibility with garage door openers and security gates
      • COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with any wedge mount vehicle along with others using adaptors (GENMM1, GENMM2, GENMM3)
      • INCREASING DEMAND: Over 80 million units on the road today
      • This product does not have auto-dimming functionality

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123