VWVortex.com - New to me [emoji4]
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to me [emoji4]

Vehicles
      '80 Dasher Wagon, '81 Rabbit Sportruck, '90 VSE JackRabbit, '11 Jetta Sportwagen SE
      09-16-2020 03:21 PM #51
      It's running reliably now! Opted to replace the water outlet going to the water pump, just in case, and no more coolant leak AND the new one was 1.25" like the rest of the connections (old water outlet was 1.5" as you may recall)

I believe most of the air is now out of the cooling system, fan kicks on when it should, coolant is circulating, however temp gage in the cluster reads high - could just be off or damaged. Regardless, put a few miles on it today, and it runs smooth and feels good going down the road.

Need to swap out the blower motor for the interior, and finish redoing the driver door card. Thinking of doing a factory screw-into-the-roof roof rack.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '80 Dasher Wagon, '81 Rabbit Sportruck, '90 VSE JackRabbit, '11 Jetta Sportwagen SE
      09-22-2020 07:17 PM #52
      Ok, so I undid everything on the heater box to try to take it out, but it does not drop down enough for the blower motor to clear the hole, and the unit won't swivel or tilt enough in any direction, so it free but stuck.

Any thoughts or advice would be oh so welcome right now!

-=Mark
      '80 Dasher Wagon
      '81 Rabbit Sportruck
      '90 VSE JackRabbit
      '11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

Vehicles
      1986 Scirocco w/ABA
      09-23-2020 07:06 PM #53
      Love the Dasher. I have a 1980 which I swapped an 84 block into. I had a similar problem with my lower water pump leaking without any sign of damage. What I eventually found was that one of the bosses on the oil pan face of the bottom of the engine was sticking out just far enough that the water pump housing was pressing against it when tight. All the fasteners could be tightened and it looked fine but it had a slow seep. Don't know where the compatibility problem came from but I'm glad to see you solved it.
      I just drained the coolant, pulled off the pump, and used a hacksaw on the block in the car to resolve it.
      probably leaking something

Vehicles
      09-23-2020 07:11 PM #54
      I broke down and ordered the plastic water outlet, and ground it down to fit past that. If I turned it 180 degrees the other way, it had that part ground down already, so figured it was a safe plan

-=Mark
      '80 Dasher Wagon
      '81 Rabbit Sportruck
      '90 VSE JackRabbit
      '11 Jetta Sportwagen SE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123