Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Flashing brake lights?

Vehicles
      1997 projektzwo GTI (PVW Jan 01) - 2017 Golf R - 2017 CRV Touring
      12-13-2017 01:20 AM #1
      So we had some light snow in the area today and coming home tonight from work, the roads were a bit wet and the car ended up with a light coat of grime from the drive. I noticed once I got off of the highway and into stop/go conditions, that I could see a flash in the rear view mirror when I applied the brakes. I am not sure if this is something new and I hadn't noticed or if it's been going on and I am noticing tonight since the rear window had a coat of road grime on it. Any ideas? The car appears to be normal - no alerts, dash lights, etc.

I searched and only saw references to emergency breaking causing something similar and I am not doing any emergency breaking.

Thx
      Last edited by VAG Parts Bin; 12-13-2017 at 09:15 AM.
      Mk3 projektzwo GTI - Jan 2001 Performance VW magazine page filler
      Mk7 Golf R - OEM upgrades & Audi TT-S 4-piston caliper conversion

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      12-13-2017 06:54 AM #2
      It’s a dealer installed option at my dealership. See here: https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flash.../dp/B00FADDOL4

Vehicles
      12-13-2017 07:33 AM #3
      If it is dealer installed, they didnt disclose it and I didn't pay for it. I didn't make any obdeleven changes either.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      16 R, 12 z4
      12-13-2017 07:39 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG Parts Bin View Post
      If it is dealer installed, they didnt disclose it and I didn't pay for it. I didn't make any obdeleven changes either.
      i believe in europe this is enabled by default in their cars, so maybe it was enabled when it was built by accident either way i like it i think its a nice safty hazard for others behind because sometime you cant tell how "hard" someone is braking
      2016 Lapiz R - DCC/DSG -Remus Non Resonated Sports Exhaust - 18s Konig Hypergram - Wilwood 6 Piston Brakes - APR intake - APR turbo Inlet - Euro tails - Double Apex Garage-Xpel Ulti

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Mazda 3 hatch 5MT; 2018 Golf R Wannabe
      12-13-2017 07:40 AM #5
      I was behind a car with flashing brake lights yesterday. That is annoying as f**k.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32 (x2), '12 Golf R, '15 Golf R, '17 Golf R, '18 RS3, '19 TTRS
      12-13-2017 07:45 AM #6
      I never saw that on the road, but I to wouldn't care for it.

Vehicles
      12-13-2017 08:29 AM #7
      My head unit has been freezing and rebooting and navigation is dead in the water, so this along with the head unit issue pushed me to make an appointment with the dealer to have it checked as I don't think it's normal.

Thx guys

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      12-13-2017 08:49 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Duhg View Post
      I was behind a car with flashing brake lights yesterday. That is annoying as f**k.
      I get it when additional lights come on or they flash under heavy/emergency braking, that's a great safety feature, but if it came on all the time that would be annoying.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      12-13-2017 08:58 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecsta View Post
      I get it when additional lights come on or they flash under heavy/emergency braking, that's a great safety feature, but if it came on all the time that would be annoying.
      Agree completely. Unfortunately the dealerships charge something to the tune of $200 for this feature and often don’t give you a choice.

Vehicles
      12-13-2017 09:15 AM #10
      Update: So I had my wife follow me out of our neighborhood this morning on her way to work, she said that it's only the third brake light that is doing this and that it flashes several times before going solid red.

I scanned it with my obdeleven and found this code:

Trouble codes:
      B12C615 - Bulb for high-mount brake light Open circuit/short circuit to B+
      Intermittent

we'll see what the dealer says on Friday.

13. Junior Member
      12-13-2017 09:46 AM #11
      I modified the center brake light on my old miata to flash due to that car being invisible on the road even to cars directly behind you. Also, I've recently started working in a new town where everyone is on their cel phone. I was almost rear ended just yesterday. A flashing brake light can only help.

On a slightly different note, I always ride my bike with flashing lights and had another cyclist complain that it bothered him. I told him that getting hit by a car bothers me.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      12-13-2017 10:27 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG Parts Bin View Post
      Update: So I had my wife follow me out of our neighborhood this morning on her way to work, she said that it's only the third brake light that is doing this and that it flashes several times before going solid red.

I scanned it with my obdeleven and found this code:

Trouble codes:
      B12C615 - Bulb for high-mount brake light Open circuit/short circuit to B+
      Intermittent

we'll see what the dealer says on Friday.
      Ahh so might just be shorting out or not connected properly, hopefully should be an quick/easy warranty fix.

Quote Originally Posted by sr105 View Post
      I modified the center brake light on my old miata to flash due to that car being invisible on the road even to cars directly behind you. Also, I've recently started working in a new town where everyone is on their cel phone. I was almost rear ended just yesterday. A flashing brake light can only help.

On a slightly different note, I always ride my bike with flashing lights and had another cyclist complain that it bothered him. I told him that getting hit by a car bothers me.
      Well you're gonna do what you're gonna do, just know that you're annoying the crap out of everyone who is actually paying attention. Do you drive around with your hazard lights flashing 24/7 too? That'll make you even more visible lol

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 Golf R
      12-13-2017 10:45 AM #13
      Im surprised this is even legal

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      12-13-2017 11:12 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
      Im surprised this is even legal
      A little dated now but a good read: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11351634/n.../#.WjFRFNFMGhA

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32 (x2), '12 Golf R, '15 Golf R, '17 Golf R, '18 RS3, '19 TTRS
      12-13-2017 11:20 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by sr105 View Post

It is insane how many rear ends occur these days.
      I suspect cell phone usage during driving as well...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Mazda 3 hatch 5MT; 2018 Golf R Wannabe
      12-13-2017 11:58 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk7Rules View Post
      Agree completely. Unfortunately the dealerships charge something to the tune of $200 for this feature and often don’t give you a choice.
      If the dealer adds something to the car that you did not ask for, YOU SHOULD NOT PAY FOR IT.

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport Manual
      12-13-2017 01:15 PM #17
      My dealer (Emich in Denver) adds this to every car they sell at no additional cost. I'm glad to have it as it doesn't bother me at all when I'm driving, and it may have already saved me from being rear-ended (had a REAL close call a couple of weeks ago...)

Vehicles
      12-15-2017 05:31 PM #18
      Update: So I took the car into the dealer today to have the flashing third brake light and the previously mentioned radio issue looked at. After resetting a module or so to try to clear the code (I had to go in and re-code the folding mirrors but that wasn't a big deal), the tech I guess pulled the third brake assembly and found this somewhere in the wiring:

I obviously didn't install it. I doubt the dealer I bought the car from installed it (as there would have been a charge for it I am sure). The theory the service advisor and I formulated is that since my car originated in Ohio and came to PA in a dealer swap, that the pulsing blinker thing was installed by the original dealer in Ohio and was never removed when it was traded to the dealer I bought it from.

For those keeping track at home, they weren't interested in updating the code on the radio unit and instead insisted on ordering a new 5F module (head unit).

Oh, I had a coupon from the dealer I bought the car from for a synthetic oil change for $9.95 that the new dealer I am going to for service accepted. This saves me from changing it myself in the cold. I have the Motul and filter on hand, but for $10 I couldn't resist having them do it.
      Last edited by VAG Parts Bin; 12-16-2017 at 11:35 PM.