VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1993 Gol GL 1846cc turbo intercooled 8 valves project! 350hp

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      12-03-2018 01:42 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by bluetoes591 View Post
      Man you guys have some cool stuff down there. Granted I don't have the funds for an engine build of this calibre, but we also don't have the parts up here to make fast Foxes. I have a mk2 Golf GTI engine in my coupe, but it sure isn't like yours.

DSC_0095
      Thank you! Very nice car, down here we call them Senda, Voyage, Amazon, your could be considered a Voyage S, because of the 2 door. Did it came originally with a 1781cc engine? That mk2 engine you put in your car could def put up some horsepower!! SPA Turbo actualy has a shop in the US for some time now, and Fueltech too. Very nice ECU for VW, since it was first developed for national use in Brazil, and for many years the vw Gol AP engine ruled, still rules but has way more competition!

I already bought, if we can say so a 8v cross flow head, 037 103 373 S code WW0 073. I understand its a good head, I can keep all the exhaust parts, no change there. But need a new intake, reposition alternator, new piping. But wth, all in the good will of more power. Can't say when this is going to happen, but it will

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible, 88 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 88 Fox Wagon
      12-11-2018 03:15 PM #27
      This really is an awesome thread. I love seeing Gols and the engines that you guys down in South America build. I've been following this thread since they added the Gol forum and your thread popped up, I just don't comment much. But as I said, this thread is awesome and I'm always waiting for updates. Cheers mate
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      An approximate Tim Taylor quote; "If you didn't build it yourself, it's not really yours".
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible
      1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Getter

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      12-31-2018 06:32 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by dougkehl View Post
      This really is an awesome thread. I love seeing Gols and the engines that you guys down in South America build. I've been following this thread since they added the Gol forum and your thread popped up, I just don't comment much. But as I said, this thread is awesome and I'm always waiting for updates. Cheers mate
      Thank you!

Have some updates for the last day of the year! Yes! Happy new year guys, this 2018 was great, but 2019 will be greater!!

Oil and filter change, switched to motul 4100 15w50 (thanks Bernardo on the recomendation), new fuel lines, going from 6 ad 7mm to 8mm both. Kept the 1/2 inch as pickup in the tank to the pump, and after that everything is 8mm now, with I hope a more heat resistant rubber/cloth. Old lines were cracking on the outside. Took the time to check for the valve clearance, took some time as I don't have the special tool to do it, so I took out the cam and measured 4x until I was happy with it. New orings for the inyectors since I was already taking the fuel rail out. New seal for the cam, new gasket for the valve cover.

New set of spark plugs, I put this frase aside because the plugs I'm using atm are freaking great. BR9ES NGK its for a bike DT200, they just rock. You can pull, and keep pulling, until the headers are glowing and they will hold their sh*t!! Awesome plugs, great recomendation from my pal Mateus (thank you, vlw). I will def recomend this plugs to anyone running a turbo set that doesn't want to spend a tons of money into iridium or gold palladium plugs. Even if you could get a 1-2% better efficiency, in cars with 150-350hp that's about nothing you will ever notice while driving.

After all of that I went to the dyno to check where the car was atm, after 90 minutes tunning, first time ever tunning in a dyno!! Its fun, but damn its hard to keep adding timing until you find what the car really likes, last 20 minutes I had to ask the local tuner for help, I know him from a chip tunning course he set up once, he gave me a hand, I couldn't get the car over 236cv tops, 1.3bar, but he managed to go to 250cv 34kgm with 1.3bar, then I started turning the wastegate screw for more boost, but nothing happend. Couldn't raise it over 1.3bar full spring load and 100% boostcontrol. Now I'm looking for a stronger spring maybe titanium or something that will take the heat without softening. This spring use to boostcreep to 2bar before I did the work on the headers for better flow.

cheers

5. 02-04-2019 03:50 AM #29
      Wow...amazing work, on the VW and keeping your documentation on this build.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      02-04-2019 07:36 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by NancyS. View Post
      Wow...amazing work, on the VW and keeping your documentation on this build.

Thanks for commenting. I have some updates, added a new spring to the wastegate, a second smaller one inside the one I already have, and used a smaller .3mm valve on the wastegate outside wall. Somehow I manage to go up to 1.67 bar, that's almost 25psi. I strongly belive the problem is the intercooler, the inside design is conterflow, air has to go to the end and then come back on top, so the actual IC flow is half the IC. Half to go and half to come back, I belive that's the issues with the pressure. The fabricator of the IC claims its flow tested but wont deliver on the actual test data.

As soon as I get some cash I will dyno the car again, to see where its at. Then maybe this year I can start the crossflow project, crossflow head, new intake (I would like to build it), new IC, new pipping, more power.
      Last edited by Meison; 02-04-2019 at 03:55 PM.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      08-16-2019 09:35 AM #31
      Hey guys, I'm back. After a hard semester at college and working hard on the car I now have some time to post. University is hard on people over 30 like me, specially if you aren't used to study all that much outside what you like.

So I took apart the engine, had a weird noise and found the tip of a ring broken, maybe a .2mm piece of ring at most, managed to scrap my cylinder. So bigger pistons was the way to go.

Engine's out!

Perfect condition crank, this one is going out because its already at .5mm

Some bearing pics

New pistons at 83mm, going almost at 1.9L about 1871cc more or less right now, factory says this ones could hold up to 3000hp, lucky me I will barely see any kind of power like that, these are full skirt all around so they are a lil heavier than my previous pistons of the same brand, but I like the extra structure.

Since I obtained 2 Fueltech certification courses, I decided to switch from my MS2 to a FT450

New relays, wateproof, and new IAT

Finally the crossflow head, german made got here. Work on the guides, and valve seats, racing valve seats multiangle job. valve seats are also new. Work was done in Argentina by FTDesarrollos, props to Fabricio for his work. Still I will work the conducts and the chamber, to improve the size, texture, and the shape.

To go with it, a 027.7 VW original pointer gti cam. Its like the top STOCK golf gti cam this side of the world if you have hydraulic lifters. There's no need for a stronger cam than this one since the power comes from the boost. This is quiet for the streets, you can actually idle like a stock car with 450hp with no problems.

Since there are no intake manifold that would fit my car with this head, for real. Golf mk3/mk4 jettas etc won't fit on my car because it would hit the hood. Some people change the engine position and lower everything about 5cm to get it to work, I'm not going to do that. So the idea is to build a custom manifold in aluminium, I have already started it using the shop at the university to provide me with a lathe, and other stuff I need. Still they don't have either a Mig or TIG!! Insane...

While I build the intake, the best option is to put the engine together with the old head and have it running so I can actually use it.

Scat Rods 144mm, SPA pins for 1000hp, pretty much standar stuff for this project.

checking ring gaps

putting the bottom end together

original toothed wheel used in audi's 1.6 and 2.0, same in new vw gol gen 5 and 6

Taking some measurements

Closing the deck

Polyurethane instead of teflon, car was way to stiff for bad roads.

This one is kindy blurry but some turbo size bragging, specially after comparing several stock turbos. I have a friend working in a turbo shop, so now I can actually take them out of the box and check every single one, the ones on 1.8T audi, the ones on S3 cars, the ones they upgrade to. Everything is availably, and let me say with no offense, that the stock turbo on a S3 is damn small.

backview

Building the relay and fuse panel.

Already done!

Now to the wiring, went with a CPC AMP 37 pin and a CPC AMP 9 pins on the firewall. Wideband throw CAN Bus, installed a oil presure sensor a ps10b from fueltech, front wheel speed sensor, and back wheel speed sensor (yet to install I might have time these days) for active traction control yes TRACTION CONTROL on a FWD 1993 car. If you go WOT at first second and third you will spin the wheels, same happens when you are in third, half pedal, and you sundenly step on it, you hit 4th gear and when it gears it spins, this will take some more boostcontrol tuning from my part and getting that traction control working. I hope I can get a deadhook right off the light when every I want to.

Changed the CAN bus connector so it won't vibrate and affect the reading.

CPC AMP 37

Wiring done, this are the ones on the hood side, one for the fuel rail so I can use a double rail on the intake I'm buildi

in the car

Almost ready to roll

Car runned for about 2800km, changed oil and filters after the first 1000km, mostly done on the open roads not in the city transit, I like to settle bearing and rings like that better. I had some issues with the coil driver and send the ECU to Brasil to get checked out at the factory, I willl be back soon. I'm running 8.7:1CR now, going on 1.2bar and 7000rpm. Runs good, its just a matter of time to get the other head in.

I'll be back with some pics of the flange I started yesterday for the intake, there are no cnc at price around here, so it will be machined by hand by me

cheers
      Last edited by Meison; 08-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      10-01-2019 04:13 PM #32
      Back with some news, a new FT450 arrived, car is running just fine now. Re did the whole wiring, here's some pics and a couple of videos of my wiring work and the car moving

Waiting on a torsen differential with 80% lock and springs. Also a new clutch kit since the plate isn't holding the clutch and it slips

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW Gol 1.8T 8v 1993
      10-09-2019 02:38 PM #33
      back with some more updates. installed the wheel speed sensor on the front wheel, I'm still missing the back wheel, will make a support for the sensor soon. Also added the boostcontroller sensor to the head of the wastegate using a PS10B sensor (up to 10bar). Using a front brake line from a vw beetle (old model) soince it fits the sensor and its cheap, should hold pressure with no leaks, and have no issues with heat

10. Member
      Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible, 88 Quantum Syncro Wagon, 88 Fox Wagon
      10-11-2019 07:45 AM #34
      Great to see more progress on this! I've been considering going with a fueltech unit on my fox wagon and ditching the CIS injection. It looks like they make a really nice product.
      Quote Originally Posted by tolusina View Post
      An approximate Tim Taylor quote; "If you didn't build it yourself, it's not really yours".
      Function is the form.
      1984 Rabbit Convertible
      1988 Quantum Syncro Wagon - The Group B Grocery Getter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12