VWVortex.com - Another one! 2018 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 134

    Thread: Another one! 2018 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG

    1. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 09:49 AM #51
      They really are phenomenal cars. I love mine. I had to hunt for mine because I wanted something fairly specific. I was also told the options usually are what they are because they try to keep the price far enough away from the E Class. The one thing I didn't get on mine was the designo interior. Mine is a 2017 so every single one, with the3 designo interior, I found had premium 2 package which is the smaller screen and ****ty halogens among other things. I had to have a premium 3 package, minimum, or it was no sale. I also didn't want the sunroof. I had a pano roof in my A3, years ago, and it was always really hot and the shade didn't work very well. The only one I found with the designo interior was one in Utah with everything, and I mean everything. Premium 4, AMG seats, AMG steering wheel, designo, pano roof, PE and a whole host of other options. They wanted 69k for it and wouldn't budge on the price more than about 2k.
      Last edited by whalemingo; 12-28-2017 at 12:47 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member halchka99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      9,899
      Vehicles
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      12-28-2017 12:54 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Congrats OP! Love your line-up too!

      Getting another C43 after a less than ideal initial experience is a testament to how great of a car it is!

      It really does seem to hit the sweet spot in all respects as a daily driver.
      Glad you're enjoying it!

      I think you'll understand this since you've got an Evo. After owning/driving an Evo nothing really impresses you any longer. I feel like this car comes close to an Evo without breaking your back or making you go def on a daily commute. It's a well rounded vehicle for sure. I thought long and hard about what to get next after my first was bought back and I just couldn't find another car I could enjoy as much.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2004
      Location
      Denver/Frankfurt
      Posts
      2,224
      12-28-2017 01:04 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      I had to hunt for mine because I wanted something fairly specific.
      I know the OP was already asked this, but why not custom order it? It only takes 2 months and you get exactly what you want, plus if you want to, you can go take delivery in Stuttgart, break it in on the autobahn and they wave the destination charge.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

    5. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 01:51 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      I know the OP was already asked this, but why not custom order it? It only takes 2 months and you get exactly what you want, plus if you want to, you can go take delivery in Stuttgart, break it in on the autobahn and they wave the destination charge.
      My guess is that he was told the same thing I was told. They will not negotiate price very much, or at all, if you special order. They will discount the cars, however, if you take stock off the lot.

    6. Member Toaster29's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2000
      Location
      Bama
      Posts
      5,447
      Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      12-28-2017 02:20 PM #55
      Really cool car. Congrats. These have been growing on me. My mom is actually looking for a new car and this is one that's crossed my mind. What kind of deals are people getting on in-stock cars?
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ’18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      '18 Raptor crew cab
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: FBO OEM turbos, 656 whp, 700 wtq, 5.9 60-130
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      3,479
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      12-28-2017 02:22 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      My guess is that he was told the same thing I was told. They will not negotiate price very much, or at all, if you special order. They will discount the cars, however, if you take stock off the lot.
      But does like $2k really matter on a $60k car? I'd rather pay $2k more and get exactly what I want, but to each their own.

    8. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 02:31 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Really cool car. Congrats. These have been growing on me. My mom is actually looking for a new car and this is one that's crossed my mind. What kind of deals are people getting on in-stock cars?
      I bought mine at the end of June and it's a 2017. I got a 62k car for 51,150 which is below the base model pricing. That also took some work too, many dealers I called around to weren't willing to deal because "AMG product".

    9. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 02:34 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      But does like $2k really matter on a $60k car? I'd rather pay $2k more and get exactly what I want, but to each their own.
      Throwing 2k out the window is throwing 2k out the window.

    10. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      25,878
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-28-2017 05:42 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Throwing 2k out the window is throwing 2k out the window.
      The whole concept of buying a brand new car is also throwing money out the window. If I could comfortably afford a ~$65k car, I'd rather spend a little more to get exactly what I want. You're not exactly being thrifty saving $2k on a car with a sticker of around $65k anyway. If money's that tight, perhaps you shouldn't be buying something this expensive?

    11. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 06:29 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The whole concept of buying a brand new car is also throwing money out the window. If I could comfortably afford a ~$65k car, I'd rather spend a little more to get exactly what I want. You're not exactly being thrifty saving $2k on a car with a sticker of around $65k anyway. If money's that tight, perhaps you shouldn't be buying something this expensive?
      First let's talk about that number, 2k. I said they wouldn't come off the price much more than 2k on a custom order car. I didn't say that was what the price was negotiated down to. Second, I'd like to make a point. I didn't get the money I do have by just haphazardly throwing away 2k on what amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I look at 2k as money that can be used elsewhere. I negotiate everything; because not doing so is poor business sense and just giving away money. I also never said money was tight, but you'll have to trust me when I say I'm okay with the money. Being sensible and not impulsive doesn't mean a person can't afford it.

      I spent months looking for the car because I knew what I basically wanted was out there. Was I going to have to accept that I wasn't getting exactly what I wanted? Yes, yet I wasn't willing to just pay sticker because "AMG" and "I gotta have it". In the end I got 11k off my car or an almost 13k difference on the custom order car after the 2k off. So it's not the price of the actual option it's the loss of that negotiation. That 11k I saved? I put it into one of my other cars.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      3,479
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      12-28-2017 06:44 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Throwing 2k out the window is throwing 2k out the window.
      but its not throwing it out the window to pay more to get exactly what you want - theres a cost associated with that, and its the diff between negotiating for one off the lot vs special ordering. whether that additional cost is worth it to you is another matter, but it isnt throwing money out the window because youre indeed getting something for that extra money.

      fwiw i assumed you were paying close to,sticker for an off the lot car anyway, not getting $10k off which is unheard of here. so yeah, in your case you may have decided the extra 10k wasnt worth it, which i understand. me on the other hand would see it as a waste of 50k to not get exactly what i want whereas 60k to get what i want would be ideal amd worth it to me. if im spending that much on a vehicle, it needs to be exactly what i want.

    13. Member NoXenons's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2012
      Posts
      7,461
      Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      12-28-2017 06:45 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      But does like $2k really matter on a $60k car? I'd rather pay $2k more and get exactly what I want, but to each their own.
      Discounts on the C-class are pretty big. One guy here got 20k off a C63.
      "No manual, no care."

      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

    14. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 07:45 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      but its not throwing it out the window to pay more to get exactly what you want - theres a cost associated with that, and its the diff between negotiating for one off the lot vs special ordering. whether that additional cost is worth it to you is another matter, but it isnt throwing money out the window because youre indeed getting something for that extra money.

      fwiw i assumed you were paying close to,sticker for an off the lot car anyway, not getting $10k off which is unheard of here. so yeah, in your case you may have decided the extra 10k wasnt worth it, which i understand. me on the other hand would see it as a waste of 50k to not get exactly what i want whereas 60k to get what i want would be ideal amd worth it to me. if im spending that much on a vehicle, it needs to be exactly what i want.
      I'm sorry I look at that as frivolous spending and being irresponsible with your money.

    15. Member halchka99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      9,899
      Vehicles
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      12-28-2017 07:49 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Discounts on the C-class are pretty big. One guy here got 20k off a C63.
      that couldn't of been a current year model? About 8-9k is all they would budge here. How in the world is 20k possible?

    16. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 07:55 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by halchka99 View Post
      that couldn't of been a current year model? About 8-9k is all they would budge here. How in the world is 20k possible?

      I think he's talking about NobbyV who got a 63 for 20k off sticker because it was the last 2016 around.

    17. Member SchnellFowVay's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 20th, 2001
      Location
      Las Vegas, NV
      Posts
      14,644
      Vehicles
      '19 MDX, '16 V60CC, '08 987 S
      12-28-2017 08:25 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      First let's talk about that number, 2k. I said they wouldn't come off the price much more than 2k on a custom order car. I didn't say that was what the price was negotiated down to. Second, I'd like to make a point. I didn't get the money I do have by just haphazardly throwing away 2k on what amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. I look at 2k as money that can be used elsewhere. I negotiate everything; because not doing so is poor business sense and just giving away money. I also never said money was tight, but you'll have to trust me when I say I'm okay with the money. Being sensible and not impulsive doesn't mean a person can't afford it.

      I spent months looking for the car because I knew what I basically wanted was out there. Was I going to have to accept that I wasn't getting exactly what I wanted? Yes, yet I wasn't willing to just pay sticker because "AMG" and "I gotta have it". In the end I got 11k off my car or an almost 13k difference on the custom order car after the 2k off. So it's not the price of the actual option it's the loss of that negotiation. That 11k I saved? I put it into one of my other cars.
      But this is also an extreme example, and your $9k saved might not actually be $9k saved, depending on how you leased or financed your car, and how long you keep your cars, etc. It is also relevant the price difference between your custom car and the "on the lot car."

      For example, when I custom ordered my BMW 135i M-Sport way back in 2010, I was constantly being pushed toward floor models that had MSRP's of $45-47k and every option under the sun. I was offered ~$5k off.

      I custom-ordered the car with the exact options I wanted, but without the useless options that I didn't. MSRP was $42k, and I got it for $39.9k. So it was still cheaper than the on-the-floor models, even with a much smaller discount. And most of those options on the floor models don't hold their value well anyway when it comes time to sell the car 2-4 years down the road.

      Now if we are talking leases, the math might be a bit different, because the discount applies 100% toward to the leased amount.

      I used the same logic earlier this year when I was shopping C43's. The dealers were all offering discounts (although nowhere near 11k) for floor models, and they were waffling if they even wanted to entertain the idea of custom ordering one (Las Vegas dealers suck). But the C43's that they had on the lot were all Premium 2 and Premium 3 packaged cars, with Designo options, etc. These cars had MSRP's of ~$70k. I would have made out much better if I had just ordered the car with the few options that I wanted -- discounts be damned. And to me, at least, if you're going to piss your money away on a brand new car, part of the fun is being able to buy the exact one that you want.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      this is due to your inexperience with performance driving . . . you really do have to take a car to a performance driving event, track day, autocross, ice race etc to get a feel for how a car actually performs. and you have to have the knowledge and skill to be able to manipulate the car in such a way as to get it and keep it at the edge.

    18. Member whalemingo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 30th, 2011
      Location
      at a blacksite
      Posts
      3,019
      12-28-2017 08:47 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      But this is also an extreme example, and your $9k saved might not actually be $9k saved, depending on how you leased or financed your car, and how long you keep your cars, etc. It is also relevant the price difference between your custom car and the "on the lot car."

      For example, when I custom ordered my BMW 135i M-Sport way back in 2010, I was constantly being pushed toward floor models that had MSRP's of $45-47k and every option under the sun. I was offered ~$5k off.

      I custom-ordered the car with the exact options I wanted, but without the useless options that I didn't. MSRP was $42k, and I got it for $39.9k. So it was still cheaper than the on-the-floor models, even with a much smaller discount. And most of those options on the floor models don't hold their value well anyway when it comes time to sell the car 2-4 years down the road.

      Now if we are talking leases, the math might be a bit different, because the discount applies 100% toward to the leased amount.

      I used the same logic earlier this year when I was shopping C43's. The dealers were all offering discounts (although nowhere near 11k) for floor models, and they were waffling if they even wanted to entertain the idea of custom ordering one (Las Vegas dealers suck). But the C43's that they had on the lot were all Premium 2 and Premium 3 packaged cars, with Designo options, etc. These cars had MSRP's of ~$70k. I would have made out much better if I had just ordered the car with the few options that I wanted -- discounts be damned. And to me, at least, if you're going to piss your money away on a brand new car, part of the fun is being able to buy the exact one that you want.
      I actually talked with the vegas dealerships when I was looking. They weren't willing to go much more than 5k off sticker "because AMG cars sell themselves" is the reason I was given. So I kept looking. I would have gone only 5k off if that was the best deal I could get anywhere, but I knew it wasn't. I was reading on the forums about 13% off, blah blah blah... And that's about what I got. It really wasn't too much of an anomaly I just had to spend the time to find the right car combined with the right dealer. If the math would of worked out I would have ordered one, but like you said they were hesitant to order. You could only order an 18 and had to wait for it. Then they would apply some minor discounts that came out to about 2k off. And that was everywhere... So I found one that fit what I wanted and took the money off.

    19. Member halchka99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      9,899
      Vehicles
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      12-29-2017 12:32 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      I know the OP was already asked this, but why not custom order it? It only takes 2 months and you get exactly what you want, plus if you want to, you can go take delivery in Stuttgart, break it in on the autobahn and they wave the destination charge.
      I didnt care to that extent to build one out. The AMG seats would be a nice bonus but life goes on. It's also a lease, if it were a buy I would build one out to my specifications.

    20. Member NoXenons's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2012
      Posts
      7,461
      Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      12-29-2017 02:02 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by halchka99 View Post
      that couldn't of been a current year model? About 8-9k is all they would budge here. How in the world is 20k possible?
      Never underestimate TCL low-balling skills.
      "No manual, no care."

      Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

    21. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Original Join Date 2001 Central NJ
      Posts
      1,476
      Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      12-29-2017 02:59 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by halchka99 View Post
      I think you'll understand this since you've got an Evo. After owning/driving an Evo nothing really impresses you any longer. I feel like this car comes close to an Evo without breaking your back or making you go def on a daily commute. It's a well rounded vehicle for sure. I thought long and hard about what to get next after my first was bought back and I just couldn't find another car I could enjoy as much.
      X2


    22. Member halchka99's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 18th, 2002
      Location
      Los Angeles
      Posts
      9,899
      Vehicles
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      03-01-2018 11:23 AM #71
      So after a quiet 3000 miles I may be heading for "demand TT-RS part 2" I either have the worst luck in the world or these cars are truly a POS. Will update with what happens at the dealer shortly.

      I was greeted with this:

      ]
      Last edited by halchka99; 03-01-2018 at 11:35 AM.

    23. Member phil123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2009
      Location
      Irvine, CA
      Posts
      7,249
      03-01-2018 12:33 PM #72
      Its okay broham, i'm sure the mercedez benz will get you fixed up.

      On a related note in Sport or Sport+ running WOT, like vroom vroom, i get a buzz from my rear speakers, going in for my 10k service this weekend, hope to get it looked at.
      2017 C43 | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

      FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

    24. Member whiteboy1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 14th, 2001
      Location
      Seattle
      Posts
      5,113
      Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      03-01-2018 12:57 PM #73
      Hope its a quick fix for ya
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

    25. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      39,828
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-01-2018 04:20 PM #74
      While I agree a new car w/ 3K shouldnt already have a check engine light already, I wouldn't be so quick to call it a lemon already.
      Last edited by absoluteczech; 03-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.

    26. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      boxes for millenials, OR
      Posts
      40,487
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      03-01-2018 04:46 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      While I agree a new car w/ 3K shouldnt already have a check engine light already, I wouldn't be so quick to be calling it a lemon already.
      this
      it could be something relatively minor.

      an easy thing to check in advance with a cheap bluetooth obd reader also...

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •