VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another one! 2018 Mercedes Benz C43 AMG

Vehicles
      Evo IX MR |17 Porsche Macan S | 18 Mercedes C43 AMG | VW Bus 13 Window
      03-01-2018 04:58 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      While I agree a new car w/ 3K shouldnt already have a check engine light already, I wouldn't be so quick to call it a lemon already.
      Yeah I was being sarcastic but frustrating at the same time. 2-3 months in and a CEL. Curious as to what it could be.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      03-01-2018 04:59 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      this
      it could be something relatively minor.

an easy thing to check in advance with a cheap bluetooth obd reader also...
      going to hook one up tonight and see whats going on.

Vehicles
      2012 AWD Nissan Rogue (again, you dumb ass!)
      03-01-2018 05:29 PM #78
      *keeps fingers crossed*
      Satan´s nopemares...

Vehicles
      03-03-2018 03:19 PM #79
      Scanning with a generic OBDII scanner and this is what it came up with. Something about a body control module.

Appointment is on Monday.

6. 03-03-2018 04:24 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by halchka99 View Post
      Scanning with a generic OBDII scanner and this is what it came up with. Something about a body control module.

Appointment is on Monday.
      They just clear it and tell you it's fixed.

03-03-2018 04:32 PM #81
      You need to trade it in on a CLA and get a real Mercedes. Oh hai Choco!

Vehicles
      2009 Nissan GT-R, 2017 Porsche Cayenne S
      03-03-2018 04:35 PM #82
      You're a brave man.

I'd just move on and get a different car.
      DWA since 1999

03-03-2018 04:52 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      You're a brave man.

I'd just move on and get a different car.
      I don't know if Id' let a check engine light force me into another car. Typically when they come on it is an emission issue unless it is blinking. It's probably something stupid. My car hasn't given me a problem yet.

10. 03-03-2018 08:13 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      You need to trade it in on a CLA and get a real Mercedes. Oh hai Choco!
      Nah he should get a 1987 Jetta GL. A true grandma ride. Then he can come into every thread and tell everybody to get the holy grail of automotive blissdom - a 1987 Jetta GL. Trust this guy, he knows luxury:

He also washes his hair frequently:

03-03-2018 08:44 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      Nah he should get a 1987 Jetta GL. A true grandma ride. Then he can come into every thread and tell everybody to get the holy grail of automotive blissdom - a 1987 Jetta GL. Trust this guy, he knows luxury:

He also washes his hair frequently:

Ooh, good one. I guess that car is kind of low hanging fruit to the uninitiated.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-03-2018 08:50 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      Ooh, good one. I guess that car is kind of low hanging fruit to the uninitiated.
      Unbiased observer: you kind of asked for that one.

Sad about the CEL. Weird to see so many trying to write it off, like OP is being too hasty. Would you still say that if it was a VW?

I'd be super pissed too. And I'd be thinking really hard about keeping the car even an hour past the warranty end date...
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

03-04-2018 10:18 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Oh I most certainly did. I was just hoping he would put a bit more effort into his retort. I disappoint.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      03-04-2018 12:08 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post

Sad about the CEL. Weird to see so many trying to write it off, like OP is being too hasty. Would you still say that if it was a VW?

I'd be super pissed too. And I'd be thinking really hard about keeping the car even an hour past the warranty end date...
      A check engine light that causes no drivability issues and that is easily identified and likely fixed with a simple sensor replacement or similar is hardly anything to get pissed about.

If it was causing drivability issues, sure...

Vehicles
      03-04-2018 05:55 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      A check engine light that causes no drivability issues and that is easily identified and likely fixed with a simple sensor replacement or similar is hardly anything to get pissed about.

If it was causing drivability issues, sure...

Im actually not upset but keep in mind my situation. First one lasted 3-4 months and now 2 months into this one it’s got a problem. The CEL went away and I’m probably going to cancel my appointment because I just don’t want to deal with another dealer service dept. if it comes back I’ll reconsider.

Vehicles
      S60, ‘murrica
      03-04-2018 06:22 PM #90
      Im actually not upset but keep in mind my situation. First one lasted 3-4 months and now 2 months into this one it’s got a problem. The CEL went away and I’m probably going to cancel my appointment because I just don’t want to deal with another dealer service dept. if it comes back I’ll reconsider.
      Makes complete sense. Sure, it’s just a CEL, but it’s hard not to feel the familiar sense of dread.

Not to make it worse, but the family ‘15 S550 has reset its clock to 12am twice in the last month for no apparent reason, and with no other issue. Even more than in your situation, this is a very, very small thing, but you can’t help but wonder how easy or difficult it will be to fix on a complicated machine, warranty or not.

I hope the module in your car just got a bad signal, fingers crossed..
      One sedan
      One coupe

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      03-04-2018 10:48 PM #91
      no i totally got you, its still annoying to deal with and the less you have to bring the car to the dealer, the less chance you have to also get a free scratch or dent with your repair...the less the car goes to the dealer, the better.

car might not even store the code depending what it was, so yeah id cancel too. didnt realize that myself until i lazily made it around to the dealer on a prior car after the light had shut off and they told me only some codes get stored if the CEL turns off.

Vehicles
      03-11-2019 11:58 AM #92
      time for a 15k mile update. My wife has been driving it for the past 6 months so I don't have any feedback other than she presented me with this the other day. Do I file this under wear and tear or is this defective? Bought one off tire rack for $300. I do realize these are horrible tires but its a lease and I didn't want to replace all 4 with something else at the moment. A couple days later I noticed that the other front tire is going in the same direction as this one.

Side note: wheels are Ronal and made in Mexico

03-11-2019 10:21 PM #93
      Mine destroys tires. I can't get a set to last more than 15k on the front. The backs are a different story. Mine wears them out pretty evenly though.
      Last edited by whalemingo; 03-12-2019 at 12:33 AM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      03-12-2019 12:30 AM #94
      What's the toe setting?

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-12-2019 05:37 AM #95
      Do C43 have a lot of negative camber? Evo always wore front tires on the inside half... A reasonable trade for good handling/turn-in, IMO.

Nothing came of the CEL then? Glad to hear. I've been very interested in the C43 lately as a future fun winter car.

This is your wife's DD? Is it tuned? JB4? Read nothing but good things. No intake/downpipe/exhaust mods necessary for more power?

Oh, not sure yours has them, but love the AMG Performance seats!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

03-12-2019 07:46 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Do C43 have a lot of negative camber? Evo always wore front tires on the inside half... A reasonable trade for good handling/turn-in, IMO.

Nothing came of the CEL then? Glad to hear. I've been very interested in the C43 lately as a future fun winter car.

This is your wife's DD? Is it tuned? JB4? Read nothing but good things. No intake/downpipe/exhaust mods necessary for more power?

Oh, not sure yours has them, but love the AMG Performance seats!
      They do have a lot of camber set in from the factory. It's worth it though, they have insane amounts of grip and crazy turn in. Mine is a riot to drive.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      03-12-2019 12:39 PM #97
      I wonder if that's actually toe wear. RWD cars tend to toe out under acceleration AND braking, and its probably made worse by the fact that this car probably has nice squishy luxury car control arm bushings. Toe out=more inside tire wear.

Solution? Monoball front control arm bushings! Or just more static toe in maybe, but that might make it less fun to drive.

03-12-2019 03:55 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      I wonder if that's actually toe wear. RWD cars tend to toe out under acceleration AND braking, and its probably made worse by the fact that this car probably has nice squishy luxury car control arm bushings. Toe out=more inside tire wear.

Solution? Monoball front control arm bushings! Or just more static toe in maybe, but that might make it less fun to drive.
      It's not toe wear, its camber wear. I have confirmed it with many sources, i got about 12k out of the front, like whalemingo the backs wear more evenly, but i hit a big bolt in the road and had to replace them (michelin non-runflats this time).

There is a camber kit you can get for it, but as was stated earlier, its from the factory for the handling aspect of the "AMG'z"
      2017 C43 | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      03-12-2019 04:00 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
      It's not toe wear, its camber wear. I have confirmed it with many sources, i got about 12k out of the front, like whalemingo the backs wear more evenly, but i hit a big bolt in the road and had to replace them (michelin non-runflats this time).

There is a camber kit you can get for it, but as was stated earlier, its from the factory for the handling aspect of the "AMG'z"
      12k is pretty good. My car they're basically done at 7.5k, lol.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-12-2019 04:19 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by phil123 View Post

I see.

Nice, kinda a trade-off, but very worth it, IMO. Wouldn't want your C43 to handle like an S4 or M340i!

I've been very impressed with the C43. Lightly used examples getting into the low 40's is tempting. Missing the Evo I sold last fall. But plan is for a Giulia QV first. Love the Tundra, but I need something more fun for Nov-April too. Those are my plans anyway...we all know how plans usually go.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast