So, my friend and I have been churning away at fixing any issue I found on my previous thread about my 82, but due to some unforeseen issues we have found a much cleaner shell, so the future for my 82 Rabbit is unknown at this point. (see Sig for that thread)
We found this car by chance while searching for new fenders on Craigslist, and I couldn't say no when the PO said pick it up for $150 with all the "extra parts" (3 sets of fenders, complete interior with crack free early dash w/ cyclops cluster, clutch setup for whatever motor was going into the car, all the glass minus the front windscreen, brand new lowering springs, complete prothane bushing kit...and randomly found a MBenz supercharger in the lot. ) The car also had a brand new round core support welded on with ZERO rust anywhere on the car.
Got the car to my buddies garage, unloaded everything and then slowly got working on it.
Some pictures from getting it back into my friends driveway
First I made a jig from my 82 to ensure we're placing the motor mount in the right location:
In the above picture you can see the threaded steel tubing someone made for some sort of motor mount, I later used a grinder and flapper wheel to get it off and cleaned up, I think Helen Keller welded it on.
To save some space in the garage and allow the interior to be worked on we picked up hardware to have the hatch and doors hung, before doing so we cleaned up any rust the parts had from sitting outside which luckily wasn't much. While the hatch was out I decided I won't be running a rear wiper so we welded the holes shut and I smoothed out the area with some filler and a few hours of sanding.
The car was once Sunbright Yellow, but someone crudely painted it red and then sanded it to do a repaint but never got around to it. The engine bay felt like 40 grit sand paper from all of the overspray but we used some 220 to smooth it out and now its ready to be painted a single color with the rest of the car. Not a fan of Yellow so unfortunately won't be going back to that, instead I'll be using a color that Holden painted the latest Commodore/Chevy SS which was Regal Peacock Green, but that idea isn't finalized just yet.
While going thru all of the giant rubbermaid containers that came with the car I found the rear wiring harness from fuseblock to tail lights as well as the original build sheet hiding in the glovebox which I thought was neat, regardless.
The motor and trans are below, unfortunately they were painted Ford Blue because the interior of the last car was going to be the same color, but too late to change it now
Sorry for the wall of text, hopefully this thread will move quicker than my last.