The Car Lounge
    Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: VW Golf 8 Production To Start In June 2019

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      10-30-2019 11:59 AM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Yes actually it does. The people that still aren't using their headlights are the very ones that necessitated having an Auto headlight function in cars in the first place.

I agree with you about the backlighting. I think more manufacturers need to use a system similar to VW where the backlighting reduces as it gets darker to help you realize you need your lights on.
      So, more automation to maintain a manual function?
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-30-2019 11:59 AM #377
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      As a lowly commoner with keyless entry, automatic lights and wipers, I admit I use them all, but don't think they are a great idea. Using a key, turning the dial for lights and manipulating the wiper stalk weren't very taxing over the decades I used them, but now when I drive a car that requires me to reach into a pocket, find the fob and press the unlock button, I feel like I am adjusting the choke before crank starting it.
      What, you got a problem with chokes? 'Smatterchu?

Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      10-30-2019 12:04 PM #378
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      As a lowly commoner with keyless entry, automatic lights and wipers, I admit I use them all, but don't think they are a great idea. Using a key, turning the dial for lights and manipulating the wiper stalk weren't very taxing over the decades I used them, but now when I drive a car that requires me to reach into a pocket, find the fob and press the unlock button, I feel like I am adjusting the choke before crank starting it.
      I love my keyless entry and automatic headlights. I hate automatic wipers and automatic climate control. The latter require finite adjustments that the in-car system never seems to get quite right. The former are simply binary; on/off. And automatic lights are a harmless safety measure that ensure drivers who are otherwise clueless can be seen in low light conditions. For me, it's just a nice convenience that does no harm.
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      FJ Audi A5
      10-30-2019 01:01 PM #379
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Which has nothing to do with anything. Drivers with manual headlights are just as prone to drive with no lights or DRLs. Even more so given how more and more cars utilize backlit and LED displays during the day.
      This ^.

Drives me bat**** crazy people driving at dawn/dusk in darker colored cars with NO LIGHTS. Even worse since most dealers only stock grey, silver, black cars the problem is getting worse.
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-30-2019 01:19 PM #380
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      This is a Golf, not a Taycan. Having thick bezels most likely lowers the costs of those screens substantially. The edge to edge glass instrument panel in the Taycan for comparison probably costs easily 10x as much if not more.
      Except that even the Polo has a more expensive looking digital display fitment.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      10-30-2019 02:16 PM #381
      Does this same brilliant thread exist in every generational forum? I think yes. MK6 forum saying how awful the MK7 looks. The masses will buy it, and the MK9 will “suck” as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rick

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-30-2019 02:24 PM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      Except that even the Polo has a more expensive looking digital display fitment.

Are you joking? The Tacan instrument cluster is a piece of floating glass with a crazy amount of customization (which hasn't been well photographed). The Polo (and literally every other VW except for the Touareg) use the junkola 10" TFT cockpit which was recently downgraded across the lineup from the previous 12" AID. The resolution on the 10" TFT is dismal in comparison. Just no.

Not to mention the Taycan has the awesome passenger display option.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-30-2019 02:50 PM #383
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Are you joking? The Tacan instrument cluster is a piece of floating glass with a crazy amount of customization (which hasn't been well photographed). The Polo (and literally every other VW except for the Touareg) use the junkola 10" TFT cockpit which was recently downgraded across the lineup from the previous 12" AID. The resolution on the 10" TFT is dismal in comparison. Just no.

Not to mention the Taycan has the awesome passenger display option.

I was comparing the Polo to the Golf

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-30-2019 03:17 PM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I was comparing the Polo to the Golf
      That is a super my bad. Sorry about that! I agree that the current 10" AID looks much better than the new MK8 integration.

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-30-2019 03:45 PM #385
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      That is a super my bad. Sorry about that! I agree that the current 10" AID looks much better than the new MK8 integration.
      The MK8 would look a lot better if it was a matt black plastic finish and the panel gaps were minimized.

Vehicles
      GTI
      11-26-2019 03:07 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      Nope. The buttons just are very clicky and have minimal travel. That way it's possible to put three buttons under one relatively small surface. Audi uses the same exact idea in the A7's light switch. I fiddled with it in Ingolstadt a while back. Edit: But yeah, I don't like them. They felt cheap to me. Having separate buttons seems the proper way to do it. With these you don't know where exactly to press it and then you might not actually succeed in pressing it.
      See I was right from this article https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...lf-2020-review
      There are very few physical buttons. All the major controls, including for the ventilation and driving modes, are housed within a touch-sensitive panel below the central display. A 'slider' is used to regulate various functions, including the volume. Its clearly meant to mimic the swipe of a smartphone, but is a bit hit and miss. As an alternative, Volkswagen offers a voice control system.
      This is crap too. Capacitive buttons and sliders are junk. The hit or miss is the worst part of those types of controls it means you have to focus on using them which is a distraction.

13. 11-26-2019 05:02 PM #388
      2021 Volkswagen Golf GTI Hides Sporty Touches Beneath Camo

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/20...-beneath-camo/

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516